Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Also, I'd simply like to point out that we should try to be humble as fans, we have limitations (tv viewing, distractions in live viewing, unbalanced sampling) and instead of tearing a player to bits, maybe give them credit when they've accomplished something worth mentioning. Like 30 NFL starts. Who & why would anybody want to cast a shadow on that? Makes no sense. Greg Van Roten; a good football player. Always was.

Who was casting a shadow or calling the guy a bum here lately? - maybe some when he played on an Argo O-line that struggled at times? And yes - a bunch of NFL starts is pretty impressive for the football resume; doesn't automatically trump outstanding CFL players though, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Who was casting a shadow or calling the guy a bum here lately? - maybe some when he played on an Argo O-line that struggled at times? And yes - a bunch of NFL starts is pretty impressive for the football resume; doesn't automatically trump outstanding CFL players though, IMO.
    Just a general observation. I agree there are two different skill sets, each league has it prototypes. When his name popped up here it just reminded me of the days when I was left scratching my head trying to find something wrong with the guy, yet never could.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Just a general observation. I agree there are two different skill sets, each league has it prototypes. When his name popped up here it just reminded me of the days when I was left scratching my head trying to find something wrong with the guy, yet never could.

Reminds me of when Llevi Noel had some starts or playing time early in his Argo career (2nd season maybe ?) - and when he couldn't haul in a couple of way off target throws (catchable by a circus effort i guess though) in one game - he got labelled weak or not good enough (by that dullard Suitor on TSN in particular - who never sees fault in a QB but loves cliche bleating how Canadians need so much time to "develop").

Nature of the beast for some players to get criticised or cut-down on these type forums, and opinions are like ... ;o)

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    How does that relate to Signings, Trades, or Extensions, OV?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    How does that relate to Signings, Trades, or Extensions, OV?
    ??? - were you not following all the comments? - it relates to somebody mentioning Van Roten signing a new NFL contract, and then the varied opinions on the guy as a player ... some might have not liked him much as a young Argo so he faced some critics ... like Llevi Noel did as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    By three people, according to a search. One of those was Angelo. ;)
    I have never had a hard time admitting when I was wrong about something. In this case I definitely was.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Angelo: Your "Van Rotten" (in 2015!) was almost certainly a typo. I was kidding.

OV: Yes, I've been paying (some) attention. Let's stick to relevant/recent Argonaut transactions.
    Last edited by Wobbler; 03-25-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I have never had a hard time admitting when I was wrong about something. In this case I definitely was.
    Even the guys that run the teams make mistakes. Often more than we even are aware of.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    As I recall, they had Van Roten play three positions on the line and was never allowed to settle into one. Maybe that's why he was underappreciated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos could end up losing Canadian WR TJ Jones because of the new NFL contract.

The NFL has struck a new labour agreement with its players and CFL franchises will have to adapt quickly to the new landscape of professional football. The NFL players’ union created 192 more roster spots for their membership. Active rosters were bumped by two to 55, game day rosters moved up to 48, and practice rosters have been expanded to 12 for 2020 and 14 in 2022. And now there is no limit to the amount of years a player can be on the practice squad. As such, the odds of earning an NFL cheque have improved based on the sheer numbers.

Plus the financial incentive for players has grown. Minimum salaries for rookies is set at $610,000 USD and it will rise incrementally year-to-year, reaching $1.065 million USD in 2030, the final year of the bargaining agreement. Approximately 60 percent of employed NFL players each season are on minimum salary contracts. Those are the types of pacts undrafted free agents and up-and-coming players from the CFL sign. ...

Practice roster pay will near $200,000 USD by 2022. That’s high-end money for every position in the CFL, excluding quarterbacks — without accounting for the difference in the U.S. and Canadian dollar, which is drastic. That will entice players to be patient when it comes to seeing if a potential chance comes in the NFL.

Let’s take a current example: Canadian receiver T.J. Jones has agreed in principle to sign with the Toronto Argos and fully intended to ink the contract in February. However, the dispute between the league office and CFL Players’ Association interrupted the finalization. Jones has 45 games of NFL experience and could decide against coming north and try to find a new team south of the border because of the expanded rosters.

Jones wouldn’t be eligible for the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie award because of his NFL experience. The new collective bargaining agreement has slotted contracts for nationals based on draft position but Jones was deemed a free agent by the league’s competition committee. It seems clear that Jones should be able to put pen to paper for whatever amount he commands on the open market. ...

The CFL should be racing to have a ratio-breaking talent such as Jones play in Canada. Reinstating the NFL window was timely and helped players such as Jones look north because one productive season in the CFL can earn another opportunity to make millions in the United States. The three-down league needs to become as enticing as possible because recruiting players just became tougher.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/03/28/h...ect-cfl-teams/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Nothing in that 3DN piece hasn't been stated previously there and elsewhere. As long as Jones does not have a registered CFL contract, he is free to try the NFL again. I wouldn't think there is a ton of NFL interest in him, given his career trajectory and the fact he was so willing to sign up here for $200k Cdn, but yeah, he's not a sure thing to be an Argo any time soon.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    so why can't the PA find a solution to CFL rookies with NFL experience? There is no reason why this can't get done

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    so why can't the PA find a solution to CFL rookies with NFL experience? There is no reason why this can't get done
    Fairly certain that other things got in the way.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Fairly certain that other things got in the way.
    More important things for sure.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    LB Travis Feeney looks like an interesting signing. Montreal signed him last year and released him the same day. Wondered what happened there?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to 3Down Argos interested in Negotiation List QB Connor Cook.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/08/toronto-argos-recruiting-former-nfl-quarterback-connor-cook/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    According to 3Down Argos interested in Negotiation List QB Connor Cook.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/08/toronto-argos-recruiting-former-nfl-quarterback-connor-cook/
    Didn't Cook play in the XFL this spring? He was a good College QB and fairly mobile if I recall correctly. Not a running QB but quicker then Nichols and MBT. Difficult to see him coming in and beating out Nichols or even MBT as a backup without some kind of a learning curve on CFL football. Also where does that leave O'Conner? Barring injury to Nichols or MBT he starts the season on the 6 game to learn and go from there. We know CFL starting QB's very seldom play a full season, if there is a season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Didn't Cook play in the XFL this spring? He was a good College QB and fairly mobile if I recall correctly. Not a running QB but quicker then Nichols and MBT. Difficult to see him coming in and beating out Nichols or even MBT as a backup without some kind of a learning curve on CFL football. Also where does that leave O'Conner? Barring injury to Nichols or MBT he starts the season on the 6 game to learn and go from there. We know CFL starting QB's very seldom play a full season, if there is a season.

Might be one of those QBs who is a good fit for the CFL - nice college ball resume + NFL experience; more competition for TC, but maybe a real long-shot to beat out either of MacBeth or Nichols, but could maybe be a cheaper 2nd string QB ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Cook backed up the XFL all time leader in TD passes, PJ Walker. He never saw the field. Dunk does mention that Cook started an NFL playoff game, but does not mention it was because Oakland was decimated by injuries at the age spot. Cook maybe as good as Matt McGloin...maybe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Every team needs a fourth QB, at least in camp. And Nichols' recovery timeline is uncertain. So it would make sense to bring in another QB for depth.

That said, I still think we are unlikely to see any football in 2020. Any thoughts I have on personnel these days are based on wishful thinking that things will soon be back to normal.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7