Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Cook backed up the XFL all time leader in TD passes, PJ Walker. He never saw the field. Dunk does mention that Cook started an NFL playoff game, but does not mention it was because Oakland was decimated by injuries at the age spot. Cook maybe as good as Matt McGloin...maybe.
    I’m hearing PJ Walker will be inducted into the Houston Roughnecks Hall of Fame, quite an honour TBH.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’m hearing PJ Walker will be inducted into the Houston Roughnecks Hall of Fame, quite an honour TBH.
    So how does he compare to the QB's we have in Canada?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Every team needs a fourth QB, at least in camp. And Nichols' recovery timeline is uncertain. So it would make sense to bring in another QB for depth.

That said, I still think we are unlikely to see any football in 2020. Any thoughts I have on personnel these days are based on wishful thinking that things will soon be back to normal.
    I suspect we'd see a higher rate of injury moving forward, regardless of when we get going again. Preparing for that possibility is only wise.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting and sad to see that SJ Green wants to sign with the Alouettes and that the Als don't seem to be all that interested. I would love to see him back in double blue assuming the price is right and that there actually will be football this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Interesting and sad to see that SJ Green wants to sign with the Alouettes and that the Als don't seem to be all that interested. I would love to see him back in double blue assuming the price is right and that there actually will be football this year.
    It would appear the Argos free agency activities indicate they had no interest in Green as well, his only hope would be to drastically reduce his asking price to generate any interest IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos have released LB Nakas Onyeka who had 13 DTs and 13 STs tackles last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Argos have released LB Nakas Onyeka who had 13 DTs and 13 STs tackles last year.
    That’s too bad. I really like him. Someone is going to get a good player in him. I guess the signing of Shorthill along with drafting Cassar has a lot to do with this move.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That’s too bad. I really like him. Someone is going to get a good player in him. I guess the signing of Shorthill along with drafting Cassar has a lot to do with this move.

Be interesting to see if he gets picked-up? The Esks are IMO thin at Canadian LBs and he could join his relative ( brother or cousin ?), CB Godfrey, with the Esks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Released;

LB Nakas Onyeka
    DL Hassan Barry
    LB Juwan Foggie

Signed;

A kicker from Calgary has been a
    cquired: Niko DiFonte
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post

Signed;

Difonte has some promise, but I still think the Argos should have picked K/P Marc Liegghio who only got picked in the fifth round, 39th overall.

Here's more on Difonte:

DiFonte played four seasons at the University of Calgary (2016-2019) where he finished off a stellar career by nailing two field goals in the 2019 Vanier Cup, helping the Dinos capture their fifth national championship in program history. The Winnipeg native was an All-Canadian in 2018 after converting 24-of-28 field goals with a long of 52 while averaging 63 yards on his kickoffs that season. The kicker’s most impressive moment may have come in 2017 when he kicked a U Sports record 59-yard game-winning field goal in the 2017 Hardy Cup.
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/05/04/...-niko-difonte/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Released;

LB Nakas Onyeka
    DL Hassan Barry
    LB Juwan Foggie

Signed;

I was hoping Ricky Foggies newphew would make the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    On the podcast with Forde et al, there was general agreement, Argos should have taken Jack-Kurdyla at #2 and hoped Brissett would still be available at #9. I'm not sure Brissett would have been there at #9, as Hamilton might well have taken him at #8. Argos could then have chosen Bennett at #9. So would Jack-Kurdyla and Bennett have been a better result, than Brissett and Churchill? Only time will tell. If the team really wanted Churchill, most pundits believe he would still have been available in the later rounds.

I see the team has picked up the draft rights to kicker DiFonte. If they were interested in acquiring an additional kicker, why not choose Legghio, the best kicker for many a year and ----he didn't go till 5th round. This is not to say DiFonte isn't an excellent prospect, he had an very good record kicking for the Dinos--was an All-Canadian in 2018 and kicked a 59 yard FG to win the Hardy cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    On the podcast with Forde et al, there was general agreement, Argos should have taken Jack-Kurdyla at #2 and hoped Brissett would still be available at #9. I'm not sure Brissett would have been there at #9, as Hamilton might well have taken him at #8. Argos could then have chosen Bennett at #9. So would Jack-Kurdyla and Bennett have been a better result, than Brissett and Churchill? Only time will tell. If the team really wanted Churchill, most pundits believe he would still have been available in the later rounds.

I see the team has picked up the draft rights to kicker DiFonte. If they were interested in acquiring an additional kicker, why not choose Legghio, the best kicker for many a year and ----he didn't go till 5th round. This is not to say DiFonte isn't an excellent prospect, he had an very good record kicking for the Dinos--was an All-Canadian in 2018 and kicked a 59 yard FG to win the Hardy cup.

I woulda loved to get Liegghio, but they would have had to use #28 where they took Giffen. DiFonte is a good get for free though - powerful leg, and IMO they need another place-kicker around in case Bede goes into one of his funks.

As far as first round order - they targeted receiver and O-line with 1st two picks; and isn't interior O-line more a need with the departures of McEwen, Holmes ? IMO they could have went best interior O-line guy at #2 (either of Kudyla or M. Riley), and then if they still wanted a receiver, even if Brissett was gone, there were some other good receivers to target: Pinto, Ternowski, Rysen John, or O'Leary-Orange (fell all the way to later rounds ???) Maybe they wanted to be sure to get Brissett though ? - he was their main #1 target, so don't lose him by waiting (and wonder if some marketing potential with his Raptor brother was a factor ?).

Churchill - maybe/probably around in later rounds ? - example of draft finesse that is often lacking in CFL drafts IMO; the Esks using 13th overall on a guy with all of one year of Canadian football experience is a good example too for this draft - I bet he would have still been around in the 5th or later, but who knows for sure. Maybe Churchill will go on to be another Chris Schultz - multi-year starter and all-star OT for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I see the team has picked up the draft rights to kicker DiFonte. If they were interested in acquiring an additional kicker, why not choose Legghio, the best kicker for many a year and ----he didn't go till 5th round.
    Just a guess, but maybe they felt DiFonte is a similar prospect to Legghio, and he didn't cost them a draft pick. I would caution against predicting how well kickers are going to do coming out of college -- some great-looking prospects flame out, and some guys no one thinks much about turn out to be good. Legghio might turn out to be the best kicker for many a year but I'll wait to see him in the CFL before declaring him as such.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Just a guess, but maybe they felt DiFonte is a similar prospect to Legghio, and he didn't cost them a draft pick. I would caution against predicting how well kickers are going to do coming out of college -- some great-looking prospects flame out, and some guys no one thinks much about turn out to be good. Legghio might turn out to be the best kicker for many a year but I'll wait to see him in the CFL before declaring him as such.
    See David Miller-Johnston. This kid that played for Calgary was a great acquisition. However I don’t see Bede going into one of his funks like was mentioned earlier. He had one bad season a few years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    There is no downside to signing a kicker that went 24-28 in 2018 and had a 59 yard game winning FG in the playoffs. The fact it didn't cost them anything makes it even better.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    There is no downside to signing a kicker that went 24-28 in 2018 and had a 59 yard game winning FG in the playoffs. The fact it didn't cost them anything makes it even better.
    Agreed, good move in adding a young kicker without using up a draft pick.
    Looking at free agency and the draft the Argos have done a very nice job this off season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hard to top the pressure of facing a 59 yarder to win a November Cup game. That alone is worth giving him a shot. More than that YouTube kicker ever did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    But what do you do with him if he looks good? Have him take up a space on the roster, or put him on the PR where he could be snapped up by the first team whose kicker goes down?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    But what do you do with him if he looks good? Have him take up a space on the roster, or put him on the PR where he could be snapped up by the first team whose kicker goes down?
    If he performs well in preseason he will suffer a lingering injury and be place on IR.