Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos have added American QB Deshone Kizer to their negotiation list. Whether such a great QB in his own mind (see below) would lower himself to play in the CFL is a major question. Another question would be how well he would get along with teammates if his attitude has not changed.

Kizer was recently waived by the Las Vegas Raiders. He entered the NFL as a second round, 52nd overall selection in the 2017 draft by Cleveland. ...

During his rookie season, Kizer started 15 games for the Browns, throwing for 2,894 yards, 11 touchdowns against an NFL-high 22 interceptions with a 53.6 percent completion rate. He rushed 77 times for 419 yards and five touchdowns, an average of 5.4 yards per carry. The following March, Cleveland traded Kizer to Green Bay. He backed up Aaron Rodgers and played in three games, completing 47.6 percent of his passes for 187 yards and two interceptions. The Packers released Kizer among the final 53-man roster cuts last August. However, the Raiders claimed him and that’s where he spent the 2019 season. ...

The 24-year-old rose to stardom at the University of Notre Dame. Kizer played 25 games for the Fighting Irish during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. He connected on 60.7 percent of his passes for 5,805 yards with 47 touchdowns versus 19 interceptions while rushing for 1,001 yards and 18 scores. ...

When Kizer left Notre Dame after his junior year and entered the NFL he set high goals for himself. “No one else can do what I can do. And I’ve truly figured out in this (draft) process, if I can maximize all my potential in every aspect of the game – this is bold – I do have the ability to be the greatest quarterback to ever play,” Kizer told NFL reporter Tom Pelissero. “Imagine taking (Tom) Brady’s intellect and Brady’s preparation and putting it on a guy with Cam Newton’s body. Why can’t I be the greatest? The only thing stopping me from it is me. That’s what’s driving me now.”

Kizer was not claimed by any NFL team on waivers and now is a free agent. He earned over 3.8 million USD while in the NFL. The Argos rushed to beat other CFL teams and put him on their exclusive neg list.

Toronto already has veteran Matt Nichols, McLeod Bethel-Thompson and national Michael O’Connor under contract at the quarterback position. Meanwhile, the double blue had been recruiting former Michigan State University star Connor Cook.

If Kizer came north he could be an intriguing quarterback on the bigger Canadian field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Argos have added American QB Deshone Kizer to their negotiation list. Whether such a great QB in his own mind (see below) would lower himself to play in the CFL is a major question. Another question would be how well he would get along with teammates if his attitude has not changed.
    Toast that Kizer!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level

This guy would dominate the CFL and kick @$$ big-time; probably throw for 10,000 yards on the season and rush for 2,000 more !

Dare to dream he would sign with the Argos, and be on the roster and starting in no time; could get rid of old, expensive Nichols or some lesser stiffs on the roster now. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    But what do you do with him if he looks good? Have him take up a space on the roster, or put him on the PR where he could be snapped up by the first team whose kicker goes down?

A majority of CFL teams carry 2 kickers on the roster anyhow; Bede does punting & kick-offs for sure, and if DiFonte proves the more accurate FG kicker in TC competition, then he does that job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Deshone Kizer sounds like Johnny Manziel II, doing extremely well in college, leaving college before his senior year while telling everyone how great he was, signing with the Cleveland Browns .....

We all know how well that worked out for Johnny.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Deshone Kizer sounds like Johnny Manziel II, doing extremely well in college, leaving college before his senior year while telling everyone how great he was, signing with the Cleveland Browns .....

We all know how well that worked out for Johnny.
    I can't fault him for leaving after his junior year. Most prominent NCAA players do. But he does seem like a headcase.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Toast that Kizer!
    Ha!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Riders have signed Canadian LB Nakas Onyeka, who the Argos released on May 1st. He was too good in his three years with the Argos, especially on STs, for somebody not to sign him.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder if this is actually the case or did 3-Down Nation's article want to frame it that way? I've always detected an anti-Argo bias from 3DownNation.

I think he asked for his release because the Argos added at least three Canadian linebackers during the offseason.

Also these two quotes seem to contradict each other:

“I left on my own, I asked to be released for a few different reasons. I was never expecting to leave Toronto in three years, I thought it was somewhere I would call home for the foreseeable future,” Onyeka said on The Rod Pedersen Show.

and

“It is just a business. That’s something that I’ve learned is not to take things too personal, teams are just trying to do what’s best for them. I completely understand it, I completely respect it.”
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I think he asked for his release because the Argos added at least three Canadian linebackers during the offseason.
    I think this is the main reason. He was probably eyeing the Riders roster and saw only 3 Canadian LB's there, only one of which is established, and saw his chances at getting more playing time there much better. I think he will get lots of playing time there. No doubt in my mind he was misused here. He has great athletic ability and has impressed every time he's had an opportunity---as infrequent as it was.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I wonder if this is actually the case or did 3-Down Nation's article want to frame it that way? I've always detected an anti-Argo bias from 3DownNation.
    3DN probably quoted his interview with Pedersen a bit selectively, and then I offered a clickbait-y summary of the 3DN piece. It's an attention-seeking version of Telephone! ;)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    3DN probably quoted his interview with Pedersen a bit selectively, and then I offered a clickbait-y summary of the 3DN piece. It's an attention-seeking version of Telephone! ;)
    Quite possible, or the player sucking up to the new team and fan base.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Quite possible, or the player sucking up to the new team and fan base.
    I have no doubt that Nakas made those comments, but I don't believe fan support in Toronto is the reason he asked for his release either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I watched that interview on the RP Show. I didn't hear him say he asked for his release because of lack of fan support. Probably thought he had a better chance of playing with the Riders. The Argos have a deep Canadian LB core now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Based on the comments published by 3DN, it appears they are jumping to a conclusion that might be off-base. (Wouldn't be the first time, sadly.) I suppose I could listen to the full interview, but I doubt Pedersen put the question to him that way. One could only be sure by asking Onyeka directly, which I doubt Pedersen did (and clearly 3DN did not).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I watched that interview on the RP Show. I didn't hear him say he asked for his release because of lack of fan support. Probably thought he had a better chance of playing with the Riders. The Argos have a deep Canadian LB core now.
    He should have attended Argo TC and fought for his roster spot. Plain and simple.

In other Argo news, Receiver Kolton Nelson, son of Argos STC Mark Nelson, retired from professional football last week. I would like to take this opportunity to wish him all the best in his future endeavours and thank him for his efforts while with the club.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Based on the comments published by 3DN, it appears they are jumping to a conclusion that might be off-base. (Wouldn't be the first time, sadly.) I suppose I could listen to the full interview, but I doubt Pedersen put the question to him that way. One could only be sure by asking Onyeka directly, which I doubt Pedersen did (and clearly 3DN did not).
    Argos are knee deep at Canadian linebacker so probably a better chance for Onyeka in Saskatchewan as AV and others have pointed out but the narrative seems to be he begged out of a bad situation in Toronto in favour of going to Regina the “Holy Grail“ of CFL football.
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-24-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    He should have attended Argo TC and fought for his roster spot. Plain and simple.

In other Argo news, Receiver Kolton Nelson, son of Argos STC Mark Nelson, retired from professional football last week. I would like to take this opportunity to wish him all the best in his future endeavours and thank him for his efforts while with the club.
    The way things are shaping up I don't think players like Kolton Nelson are going to have much chance of being kept around while they learn the CFL game. He would be in tough making the team with all the talent ahead of him. Unfortunate because in time he might well have developed into a productive player seeing he has National status. He obviously has talent having played high level Rugby in Australia. His dad Mark would know the score that players like Kolton are going to be behind the eight ball going in to camps this year. Might as well get out and start life in the real world if something comes up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Ryan Grigson, who was part of the great 1997 Argo Grey Cup team, but had his career ended by a back injury, has been hired as senior football advisor for the Cleveland Browns, after starting his coaching career with the Riders and climbing the ladder to GM with the Indianapolis Colts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Off-season signee Matt Nichols says he's almost 100% after shoulder surgery. Now if we could be sure the Argos season was close to 100% sure.