Thread: Pw13...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Pw13...

Your post on the CFL.ca board here cracked me up. Nice Work.

pw13

• All-Star

Dec 16 2019, 09:01 AM

Quote from: Cflsteve0773 on Dec 15 2019, 11:31 PM
    If TSN had any kind of brains at all. Scrap the CFL Thur Nite games. & have a Thursday night USports National game of the week.
    Students are on campus. And there are Regional in conference Rivalries. Like Mac & Western. Laval & Montreal. Off the top of my head.

Yeah, it would be unbelievably brainy to replace a product that gets good ratings with one that hasn't had any network interested in it for years, and that in most locations can't get more than a couple thousand people to attend in person. Can't believe TSN hasn't thought of this already!

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Your post on the CFL.ca board here cracked me up. Nice Work.

pw13

Quote from: Cflsteve0773 on Dec 15 2019, 11:31 PM
    If TSN had any kind of brains at all. Scrap the CFL Thur Nite games. & have a Thursday night USports National game of the week.
    Students are on campus. And there are Regional in conference Rivalries. Like Mac & Western. Laval & Montreal. Off the top of my head.

Yeah, it would be unbelievably brainy to replace a product that gets good ratings with one that hasn't had any network interested in it for years, and that in most locations can't get more than a couple thousand people to attend in person. Can't believe TSN hasn't thought of this already!
    It's awfully easy to be negatively smug and there's way too damn much of it by supposed CFL fans. I don't think any newcomer finds that attractive at a website.

There's two forces at work here, I actually think it's a pretty good idea but unfortunately TSN is not the rights holder for USports. Thursday night CFL games get good ratings for a slow night but are not helping league attendance, they're hurting it. I would love to see TSN do to USports what they did for the CFL. Back in the 70's CBC had tons of college sports coverage, why then are TSN and ugh Rogers helping to build another country's college sports profile in this country. It's totally perverted!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I actually think it's a pretty good idea but unfortunately TSN is not the rights holder for USports. Thursday night CFL games get good ratings for a slow night but are not helping league attendance, they're hurting it. I would love to see TSN do to USports what they did for the CFL. Back in the 70's CBC had tons of college sports coverage, why then are TSN and ugh Rogers helping to build another country's college sports profile in this country. It's totally perverted!
    You may think it's a good idea, but I have yet to hear one argument as to why TSN would think it's a good idea. They're in the business of making as much money as possible for shareholders; abandoning a successful program for one that would have a fraction of the viewership would not achieve that objective.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    You may think it's a good idea, but I have yet to hear one argument as to why TSN would think it's a good idea. They're in the business of making as much money as possible for shareholders; abandoning a successful program for one that would have a fraction of the viewership would not achieve that objective.
    It's called building a property. When was there a market for NCAA hockey in Canada? TSN is trying to build one and that is still perverted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's called building a property. When was there a market for NCAA hockey in Canada? TSN is trying to build one and that is still perverted.
    I have no idea what TSN is doing with NCAA hockey altho I have yet to see a single such game in my feed. But I'll take this at face value and ask: are they doing it at the expense of an existing revenue-stream/profit-generating property?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    It's awfully easy to be negatively smug and there's way too damn much of it by supposed CFL fans. I don't think any newcomer finds that attractive at a website.

There's two forces at work here, I actually think it's a pretty good idea but unfortunately TSN is not the rights holder for USports. Thursday night CFL games get good ratings for a slow night but are not helping league attendance, they're hurting it. I would love to see TSN do to USports what they did for the CFL. Back in the 70's CBC had tons of college sports coverage, why then are TSN and ugh Rogers helping to build another country's college sports profile in this country. It's totally perverted!

You can't really expect TSN or the CFL to give a rat's @$$ about other levels of Canadian football or to have any concern about the general concept of Canadian ball being promoted or show-cased - doesn't make any bottom-line $ense to the bean-counters who know best. You can expect some CFL "fans" to being smugly dismissive of other Canadian football they don't know or care about, OTOH.

I wonder if TSN might consider, however, if an Argo home game coincided with game day of the annual Panda Game in Ottawa, of switching TV coverage to the Canadian college ball game instead: 20K plus of fans enjoying a Canadian football game as opposed to the embarassing spectacle of 10 to 12 K and reams of empty seats at the Argo game ? Much better optics there that some bean-counters at TSN or the CFL or MLSE might want to get in on, if it could somehow make bottom-line sense ? Could also think of bumping an Argo home game in favor of TV coverage of a Rouge & Or / Carabins match-up in Quebec City with probably double the number of fans in attendance - sure "looks" better than thousands of empty seats in TO - could that mean better "ratings" ? TSN loves showing plenty of US college ball while they continue to ignore Canadian college ball - surely can be rationalized by the bottom line = all that really matters, no ? Maybe TSN could rig a deal to have some big US college ball games played on Friday nights and put that on the majority of their feeds - CFL game only on TSN 4 maybe or not at all ? - surely would be justified if some ratings gains were to be had - "shareholders" would love this; AND plenty of wannabes in the Canadian media approved too ?
    Last edited by OV Argo; 12-19-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have no idea what TSN is doing with NCAA hockey altho I have yet to see a single such game in my feed. But I'll take this at face value and ask: are they doing it at the expense of an existing revenue-stream/profit-generating property?
    It's live programming which costs them almost nothing in rights fees and nothing in production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You can't really expect TSN or the CFL to give a rat's @$$ about other levels of Canadian football or to have any concern about the general concept of Canadian ball being promoted or show-cased - doesn't make any bottom-line $ense to the bean-counters who know best. You can expect some CFL "fans" to being smugly dismissive of other Canadian football they don't know or care about, OTOH.?
    Why should TSN or any network care when USports doesn't give a sh;t? Unless USports wakes up, nothing will change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Smugly dismissive of anyone who sneers "bean-counters know best" sarcastically, or takes issue with corporations focusing on their bottom line? Guilty as charged, I guess.

There's a good case to be made that it would be a good thing to have Canadian university football shown regularly on TV. There's much less of a case to be made that it would be profitable for any network to do so. There's no case whatsoever that it would be beneficial to a network to do so at the expense of one of its biggest and most popular -- with viewers and advertisers -- properties.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Smugly dismissive of anyone who sneers "bean-counters know best" sarcastically, or takes issue with corporations focusing on their bottom line? Guilty as charged, I guess.

There's a good case to be made that it would be a good thing to have Canadian university football shown regularly on TV. There's much less of a case to be made that it would be profitable for any network to do so. There's no case whatsoever that it would be beneficial to a network to do so at the expense of one of its biggest and most popular -- with viewers and advertisers -- properties.
    This kind of logical thinking and sound argument has no place here, sir.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Something that I do wonder is why TSN and Sportsnet show the same thing on all or most of their channels so often? I think they have 5 channels each, it would make more sense to have different things on each channel.

As to CIS Football, I thought that they offered an online subscription service to watch their games now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Something that I do wonder is why TSN and Sportsnet show the same thing on all or most of their channels so often? I think they have 5 channels each, it would make more sense to have different things on each channel.

As to CIS Football, I thought that they offered an online subscription service to watch their games now?
    They do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    They do.
    I watched most UofT games this year. It’s offered but it’s not quality.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    CIS Football remains a hidden gem in this country, sadly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Production costs, I imagine.