Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Naturlized Nationals

There has seemed to be a lot of confusion on just what this new rule really is on the "Naturlized" Nationals. I think from what I've been reading lately is that it is starting to become clearer. There will still be 7 Canadian starters plus 3 Americans starters who have played at least 3 years with the same club or 5 in the CFL. If one of these players become injured they can be replaced by another International (that qualifies) as one of those 3 starters. Next man up so to speak. The idea behind this is apparently to try and keep some more continuity on the roster. So the sky is falling for those that think the Canadian players are being eliminated but it is more of the CFLPA trying to protect veteran Internationals from being cut for a cheaper and younger player. I would think a player who has played 2 years with one team would think twice about leaving as a free agent and kind of guaranteeing a roster spot once he has obtained the 3 years.
    But all this doesn't happen for another couple of years apparently.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I’m not sure that I understand this rule fully, but that will make some interesting FA decisions - like Edwards and SJ Green - would they not fall under this? Who else on the Argos roster would? I think Woods and Kanneh would (but pleeeeeeeeeeeease don’t bring Kanneh back..... we beg you, as die hard fans, please do not bring him back). I would think that if Wilder came back he would have qualified too. The only other one that comes to mind is Darby.

I’m sure that there are plenty of others that I am missing. Feel free to add in.

I wonder if that means the Argos will have to sign some vets in FA to get more help. I don’t see many import players that have 3 years with the Argos, but then again I am doing this from memory.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It appears the CBA is saying the following about the roster and starting ratio:
    Active Roster-
    Team can have 45 players broken down into categories
    .20 Americans which includes 4 designated Americans (excluding QB's)
    .2 Global players
    .3 QB's -likely--- as the wording says "at least 2 QB's"
    20 Canadian players
    Additionally there will be 1 player on Reserve Roster, who will practice and be paid as a regular player but can't play in games. How and when this player may move on to the Active Roster doesn't seem to be addressed.

Starting Ratio-
    .Up to 3 American players who qualify under the terms of 3 consecutive years with the team or 4 in the league can play as a National(Canadian)
    .That means 7 Canadians and 3 qualifying Americans, will start as Nationals (Canadians)
    . If any of those 10 are injured during the game, they can be replaced by any player-- American or Canadian

It raises a number of questions:
    Does the Reserve Roster player fall under the cap rules?
    Are the 4 designated Americans on the Active Roster a minimum or maximum number and do the 3 American Nationals on the starting roster have to come from these 4 designated Americans?

Not sure how much these changes will affect the game. Previously, with 23 starters plus 1 QB, the team had to start 7 Canadians (Nationals), meaning the balance of the starters would be 16 Americans. Now with 23 starters plus 1 QB, the team will start 10 Nationals (7 Canadians Nationals and 3 American Nationals), meaning the balance of the starters will be 13 Americans. Since the American Nationals and Americans all come from the 20 Americans on the Active roster, it doesn't seem like a dramatic change.
    However, the one change which could be dramatic, is the rule that any of the 10 starting Nationals who are injured in a game, can now be replaced by an American, which could result in fewer Canadian backup players getting into the game.

Perhaps others who have studied the CBA more carefully would like to comment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It appears the CBA is saying the following about the roster and starting ratio:
    Active Roster-
    Team can have 45 players broken down into categories
    .20 Americans which includes 4 designated Americans (excluding QB's)
    .2 Global players
    .3 QB's -likely--- as the wording says "at least 2 QB's"
    20 Canadian players
    Additionally there will be 1 player on Reserve Roster, who will practice and be paid as a regular player but can't play in games. How and when this player may move on to the Active Roster doesn't seem to be addressed.

Starting Ratio-
    .Up to 3 American players who qualify under the terms of 3 consecutive years with the team or 4 in the league can play as a National(Canadian)
    .That means 7 Canadians and 3 qualifying Americans, will start as Nationals (Canadians)
    . If any of those 10 are injured during the game, they can be replaced by any player-- American or Canadian

It raises a number of questions:
    Does the Reserve Roster player fall under the cap rules?
    Are the 4 designated Americans on the Active Roster a minimum or maximum number and do the 3 American Nationals on the starting roster have to come from these 4 designated Americans?

Not sure how much these changes will affect the game. Previously, with 23 starters plus 1 QB, the team had to start 7 Canadians (Nationals), meaning the balance of the starters would be 16 Americans. Now with 23 starters plus 1 QB, the team will start 10 Nationals (7 Canadians Nationals and 3 American Nationals), meaning the balance of the starters will be 13 Americans. Since the American Nationals and Americans all come from the 20 Americans on the Active roster, it doesn't seem like a dramatic change.
    However, the one change which could be dramatic, is the rule that any of the 10 starting Nationals who are injured in a game, can now be replaced by an American, which could result in fewer Canadian backup players getting into the game.

Perhaps others who have studied the CBA more carefully would like to comment.
    After reading the new CBA I see the rumours are true. 7 Canadians plus 3 Americans who have 3 years with said club or 4 in the League for a total of 10 "National" starters. Any of those starters can be replaced if injured by another American who qualifies with the 3 or 4 year rule, but only for the remainder of the game. A lot of grey areas there IMO. But the idea apparently is to force teams to keep more veteran Americans on the roster, and will give them a better bargaining position similar to the starting Canadians.

One other rule that will help add a few to the National numbers coming out of University is: any Global or American player playing a minimum of three years on a USport team will qualify as a Canadian for CFL purposes. There has been a few of these players over the years asking for this rule and it finally happens.

I still don't know for sure if Global players playing in the NCAA will be classed as a Global or an American for the CFL.

IMO an injured Canadian starter should only be replaced by another Canadian, and an injured American "National" should be replaced by another American that qualifies as one of these Nationals. I guess a back up Canadian could replace anyone. Going to be fun keeping track of everybody. Maybe these American Nationals should wear an arm band or something. lol