Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    AngeloV previously mentioned the complicating factor of relief money going to American players which is a 100% legit issue, it seems a Liberal MP has the same concern.

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/12/i...r-fragiskatos/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If an American player pays taxes in Canada, which many do, it should be an issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    If an American player pays taxes in Canada, which many do, it should be an issue.
    No it shouldn't be an issue. Does anybody out there have an idea how much tax the Canadian Government take in each year from everything connected with the CFL. I pay a tax on my ST, there's a tax on food & drink at a game, tax of a Argo sweater or hat, tax on a Go Train ticket, tax at a restaurant before or after a game, tax on parking if I drive and tax on the gasoline. Multiply that across the Country. The Saskatchewan fans would make my tax probably look like peanuts. They travel, stay in hotels tax on top of tax. Then there's the players paying tax on everything just like the rest of us do just to live. How much tax does each CFL city take in on game days from everything connected to the CFL. How many millions in taxes does the Government take in from a Grey Cup week and game. But we won't hear that from these dishonest politicians speaking out with their great concern of tax payers money. Dishonest because they won't tell the whole story.
    I just wish people would be as concerned about the millions of tax payers money this Government hands out to questionable "organizations" and "charities" around the world every year. Maybe somebody should add that up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It is an issue, if an American paying taxes in Canada, is treated differently from an other taxpayer. Sorry, previous comment badly worded.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    It is an issue, if an American paying taxes in Canada, is treated differently from an other taxpayer. Sorry, previous comment badly worded.
    I don’t think they are treated differently as a tax payer. They are allowed all the benefits such as health care when they are here in Canada. The problem stems from when the player leaves in the off season for his residence in the USA. He is legally an American citizen benefiting from their system and contributing to their economy. Mike Reilly, the highest paid player in the league, fails to mention he lives in Washington and benefits from a huge difference of cost of living than Vancouver. I’m not saying he should not be receiving anything, but what Country should help him? In times of crisis’s, Countries focus on their residents, not others.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Covid 19, may well create another problem for the CFL. It appears a number (perhaps most) of the Canadian universities, will cancel classes and offer instead, online education. If that occurs, first semester sports, including football, are likely to be cancelled. If teams faced difficulties evaluating draft eligible players, when combines were cancelled, imagine the difficulties when no games are played at all this year. Players will probably be grey shirted for the 2020 season, allowing all players including seniors an additional playing year. If a number of seniors opt to play an additional year, to demonstrate to the pros, their skills and talents, it could result in fewer players going into the draft.

Covid 19 is making life difficult in ways we did not anticipate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I don’t think they are treated differently as a tax payer. They are allowed all the benefits such as health care when they are here in Canada. The problem stems from when the player leaves in the off season for his residence in the USA. He is legally an American citizen benefiting from their system and contributing to their economy. Mike Reilly, the highest paid player in the league, fails to mention he lives in Washington and benefits from a huge difference of cost of living than Vancouver. I’m not saying he should not be receiving anything, but what Country should help him? In times of crisis’s, Countries focus on their residents, not others.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This !

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    My understanding is that a non resident maintaining a home in another country pays 15% tax on bonus payments. Hence the many contracts set up that way. Residents are taxed as normal income on bonus payments.

CFL is a willing participant in abetting the tax avoidance for what ever reason. All teams are doing it so it's only a disadvantage if you don't. Kind of bites the hand that feeds you considering most of the infrastructure is tax dollar supported in some fashion or another. Ending that loophole is one thing I would like to see tied in to any government bailout package if it does happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This !
    X2
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Level
    Covid 19, may well create another problem for the CFL. It appears a number (perhaps most) of the Canadian universities, will cancel classes and offer instead, online education. If that occurs, first semester sports, including football, are likely to be cancelled. If teams faced difficulties evaluating draft eligible players, when combines were cancelled, imagine the difficulties when no games are played at all this year. Players will probably be grey shirted for the 2020 season, allowing all players including seniors an additional playing year. If a number of seniors opt to play an additional year, to demonstrate to the pros, their skills and talents, it could result in fewer players going into the draft.

Covid 19 is making life difficult in ways we did not anticipate.
    If there is no U-Sports season, I wonder if some schools end up dropping football. It's the most expensive sport to run, and universities may be forced to cut costs as a result of the virus. There's talk it may happen with some NCAA schools.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Things are changing quickly across the world. Thirty days ago NYC had 1,800 COVID hospitalizations a day and the ICU overload was real. Yesterday that number was zero.

My English friend today told me out of nowhere he was informed his golf course just opened. This in the U.K. where right now they are still in the thick of it.

I am hoping the exit from this might just be as quick as the start of lockdown.

Anecdotally fuel price is above $0.92 and traffic volumes are up quite a bit where I live.

Don’t give up hope just yet.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Things are changing quickly across the world. Thirty days ago NYC had 1,800 COVID hospitalizations a day and the ICU overload was real. Yesterday that number was zero.

My English friend today told me out of nowhere he was informed his golf course just opened. This in the U.K. where right now they are still in the thick of it.

I am hoping the exit from this might just be as quick as the start of lockdown.

Anecdotally fuel price is above $0.92 and traffic volumes are up quite a bit where I live.

Don’t give up hope just yet.
    Golf courses, marinas, campgrounds and parks in Ontario are expected to reopen for this weekend with the announcement coming tomorrow from the Premier. Although PHASE ONE in Ontario has already unofficially begun, it'll begin in earnest tomorrow with this grander easing of restrictions.

We'll all just have to hold our breath, step out a little, and hope for the best….

All major professional sports leagues are eyeing July to begin, or finish their seasons.

The 2nd wave will say it all, but don't give up hope is right.

There are some positive signs also; amazing to see that Saskatchewan has only 6 COVID related deaths. Between Saskatchewan and Manitoba there have been on 13 between them and that's a lot of territory.

But, I guess that's the point.

And in the Maritimes, except for Nova Scotia; no deaths, and almost all of the cases have been cleared.

Again, the 2nd wave will say it all
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 05-13-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post

And in the Maritimes, except for Nova Scotia; no deaths, and almost all of the cases have been cleared.

Maybe the CFL should play all its games in Moncton this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Golf courses, marinas, campgrounds and parks in Ontario are expected to reopen for this weekend with the announcement coming tomorrow from the Premier. Although PHASE ONE in Ontario has already unofficially begun, it'll begin in earnest tomorrow with this grander easing of restrictions.

We'll all just have to hold our breath, step out a little, and hope for the best….

All major professional sports leagues are eyeing July to begin, or finish their seasons.

The 2nd wave will say it all, but don't give up hope is right.

There are some positive signs also; amazing to see that Saskatchewan has only 6 COVID related deaths. Between Saskatchewan and Manitoba there have been on 13 between them and that's a lot of territory.

But, I guess that's the point.

I am with you. Now in my sixties, I now ignore the pundits. All the Kuwaiti oil fires were to burn for five years, but extinguished is months.

Sadly, I lived through Aids and SARs. But living through something is more than just breathing. The world is hurrying back to a new normal. Let’s move on from this too.

Florida is 8 deaths per 100,000 and Georgia is 13 deaths per hundred thousand after reopening weeks ago. Lower than both Ontario and Quebec right now.

Let’s not permanently damage society while trying to protect it.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

No doubt they are hoping for July. Some of them were also hoping to be back in action by now, not that long ago. Perhaps more importantly, I have yet to hear of any plans that include paying customers in the stands, something we know is of greater significance to the CFL than virtually any of the other, bigger leagues. So yes, hope for the best. But even the best may not be enough to salvage a CFL season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No doubt they are hoping for July. Some of them were also hoping to be back in action by now, not that long ago. Perhaps more importantly, I have yet to hear of any plans that include paying customers in the stands, something we know is of greater significance to the CFL than virtually any of the other, bigger leagues. So yes, hope for the best. But even the best may not be enough to salvage a CFL season.
    In all of this uncertainty, I would never discount this as a possibility.
    I think once July comes; if one jumps in, they all will.
    And yes, the CFL has unique concerns, and less money to navigate with.
    On a grander scale, more testing is the key, and god forbid a bigger 2nd wave.
    Then yes, all bets are off.
    I remain cautiously optimistic for a 2020 CFL season.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    If there is no U-Sports season, I wonder if some schools end up dropping football. It's the most expensive sport to run, and universities may be forced to cut costs as a result of the virus. There's talk it may happen with some NCAA schools.
    this is what they say is happening. Eliminating Soccer. USports Football in the Universities is still the main event
    https://www.downthedrive.com/2020/4/...soccer-program

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to 3Downnation the Lions have sent their execution strategy for opening the team’s Surrey practice facility to the province. According to TSN reporter Farhan Lalji, the league office has been in contact with all of the nine teams in regards to the plan for opening facilities while adhering to governmental guidelines.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Further to this, when Mike Reilly and the rest of the American players toddle back home to the good old USA when their playing days are done I hope they will at least raise a glass of Budweiser to the future generations of Canadian taxpayers who will carry the tax burden of this for decades to come.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Further to this, when Mike Reilly and the rest of the American players toddle back home to the good old USA when their playing days are done I hope they will at least raise a glass of Budweiser to the future generations of Canadian taxpayers who will carry the tax burden of this for decades to come.
    Great point. Paying for it for the rest of our lives. Hopefully that’s more than decades.