Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    How do they deal with a situation like the Wettenhalls where organizational objectives come into play? They want reduced costs and league support but still want to pay the president 2 million per.

Low franchise values make CFL teams easy to use as a tax write off. MLSE probably already has it figured out. The dual ownership structure has always been an issue imo.

The XFL model of one owner of all teams simplifies quite a bit. Pulling the plug quickly and terminating the league when he did probably also saved money.
    Last edited by carlos; 07-19-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Sure, to a minor extent. And growers, producers, etc., in the places where the players came from before entering the bubble would lose a tiny bit of business, too. Granted some of that is U.S. biz, but the net overall impact is minimal.
    I personally think tens of millions of dollars in new economic activity is a pretty good return on a $42.5M government investment, but as you suggest, it is probably a moot point in light of the CBA clusterfvck.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I personally think tens of millions of dollars in new economic activity is a pretty good return on a $42.5M government investment, but as you suggest, it is probably a moot point in light of the CBA clusterfvck.
    Source for that amount, Rich? That seems pretty high to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As much as I’d like to see CFL football in 2020 I don’t see it happening.
    I also don’t envision a potentially shortened CFL season in a hub city with no fans in the stadium generating “tens of millions of dollars in new economic activity”.
    Also as you have stated the CBA situation needs to be resolved which given Ambrosie’s track record with the PA is no sure thing.
    Last edited by Argo57; 07-20-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Source for that amount, Rich? That seems pretty high to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
    i Can’t seem to repost the link, but it is still there above in post #486.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Manitoba government is offering $2.5 million for Winnipeg's bid, and Saskatchewan is also making a pitch. If any progress is being made with the CBA and federal money, we may have something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Manitoba government is offering $2.5 million for Winnipeg's bid, and Saskatchewan is also making a pitch. If any progress is being made with the CBA and federal money, we may have something.
    New Dan Barnes article today reporting lots of new optimism from Ambrosie over CBA talks. Report indicates plan for a 54-game regular season, which is 12 games per team. 2/3 of a pay check is a lot more reasonable than 1/3 for the players, so maybe, just maybe, things are starting to fall into place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    New Dan Barnes article today reporting lots of new optimism from Ambrosie over CBA talks. Report indicates plan for a 54-game regular season, which is 12 games per team. 2/3 of a pay check is a lot more reasonable than 1/3 for the players, so maybe, just maybe, things are starting to fall into place.
    I have a hard time believing they can fit in a 12 game schedule in any hub other than Vancouver or Montreal. A dome would be needed, because the season would go into January at that point. I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the middle like an 8 game schedule with the players receiving 50% of their salaries.

Edit: on twitter yesterday, Dan Barnes explained the math was bad, and it is a 6 or 8 game schedule the league is looking at.

Last edited by AngeloV; 07-22-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cf...d-2020-season/

Individual players can opt out in 2020 at no penalty,=.

Really a given IMO. Assuming the league and PA reach an agreement, this should out more than enough votes to the yes side. Even from those who have publicly stated they don't want to play or don't like the terms.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Calgary has jumped into the frey. Will Hamilton/Burlington follow, as the Ontario Gov't is hoping for? Could there be 2 hub cities like in the NHL? Most positive news we've heard in a while regarding a 2020 CFL season.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Am I a pessimist for believing we are just being strung along. I want a season but believe the truth is there will not be one and think that decision is already made just not announced. Thoughts

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Considering there are 59 NFL players currently testing positive for Covid-19 and in addition to 36 staff as well as many player complaints about safety protocols, I have to wonder how long the NFL or CFL can operate under these conditions.

Fifty-nine National Football League (NFL) players in total have tested positive for COVID-19, the players' union said, with rookies scheduled to report to their teams on Tuesday and training camps opening for all players from July 28. Including other individuals within the NFL, such as staff members, who have tested positive, the total number of cases stand at 95, a spokesman for the union NFLPA said.

Last week, the union reported that 72 players had tested positive since July 10. As players recover and have "multiple negative tests" they are removed from the tally, the NFLPA spokesman said. ...

Top players had voiced their concern and anger on Sunday over a lack of COVID-19 safety protocols. "Our union has been pushing for the strongest testing, tracing and treatment protocols to keep our players safe," the NFLPA said in a statement on Monday.
    https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sp...n-says-476006/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    More than 85% of players rejected the CFL's offer of one third of their salaries for a six game season. Considering this includes being in isolation for three months and taking home less than $10,000 US for American players on close to base salary contract, this is hardly surprising. While Brandon Banks has announced he will not play, it seems more likely that veterans who are not stars are more likely not going to play if there is a season.

“It’s less the stars of the league that aren’t going to play and more that mid-range player,” Naylor said. “Brandon Banks, his salary is around $200,000, if he wanted to show up he can make $65,000 for three months. In real world money, that isn’t too bad.”

While acceptable pay will lure star players, the league’s bottom tier will likely show up for different reasons.

“For young guys, I talked to a player last week who said ‘I’m 24, I’m single, I love football, and I’ve got nothing better to do. I’ll play,” Naylor told listeners.

The group of players in between are where the decision gets more complicated.

“It’s some of those guys in between, whose normal salaries might be between $80,000-$100,000, and now they have to decide if it’s worth doing it for $30,000. They might have families as well, because they aren’t kids anymore,” Naylor said.

Many players’ decisions will be influenced by the terms agreed upon in a new collective bargaining agreement and the type of guarantees they can expect from the league. ...

“I don’t think the CFL is going to play and I say that with all due respect to some people who are working very hard to make it happen,” Naylor said frankly. “I think ultimately it’s going to be beyond their control, either on the federal side or with the players.”
    https://3downnation.com/2020/07/23/m...played-report/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    By the looks of things, if the league is going to get any government funding for there to be a season of any kind, it's likely to be more in the form of a loan, rather than a grant. To me, the league should try and arrange a $50M interest free loan and create a payback schedule over 20 years. That would result less than 300k per team annually, which should be doable. They then should offer the players 50% of their full salary for this season, be it a 6 or 8 game schedule. It would be a show of good faith and go along way in keeping labour piece down the road, and minimize the amount the SMS would go down.

Apparently the loan will come from an area which gives out high risk loans anyway, so interest free shouldn't be too big an issue here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the baseball season barely started, an outbreak of Covid-19 among 14 Miami Marlins players and coaches is already raising questions about how long the season can continue. Obviously, this raises questions about how long all pro leagues will be able to play.

The news today is among the worst possible for MLB in regards to getting through the 2020 season.

We knew that positive cases of COVID-19 were going to pop up during the season. The disease is too infectious for that not to happen. The goal was that the protocols in place would prevent a widespread outbreak that could completely derail an entire team or teams during the season. Well, we couldn’t even get past the opening weekend. ...

Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation tell me and @JesseRogersESPN.

Now, with several more positive tests, it is clear that there is a full blown outbreak within the Marlins and not only do the Phillies need to be extra observant of their players, but also of their visiting clubhouse which will likely need to be completely sanitized before it can be used again.

The bigger news, though, is that now the 2020 season is in jeopardy of being cancelled again. It is unclear as to whether or not the Marlins will be able to play a game anytime soon and the league may decide that the Marlins need to just be done for the 2020 season or they may decide that the risks are too high for the league to operate at all. In short, today was most definitely not good for those who were hoping to complete the season.
    https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/7/...ays-per-report

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Miama Marlins have now cancelled their home opener tonight against the Baltimore Orioles after 14 Miami players tested positive for Covid (see previous post). The Philadelphia Phillies, who played Miami on the weekend, have also cancelled their game against the Yankees "out of an abundance of caution" with regard to their possible exposure to Covid-19 when they played Miami. Is this the precursor to future cancellations?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    By the looks of things, if the league is going to get any government funding for there to be a season of any kind, it's likely to be more in the form of a loan, rather than a grant. To me, the league should try and arrange a $50M interest free loan and create a payback schedule over 20 years. That would result less than 300k per team annually, which should be doable. They then should offer the players 50% of their full salary for this season, be it a 6 or 8 game schedule. It would be a show of good faith and go along way in keeping labour piece down the road, and minimize the amount the SMS would go down.

Apparently the loan will come from an area which gives out high risk loans anyway, so interest free shouldn't be too big an issue here.
    Should the league take the loan? I can't see how they could ever pay it back. The bubble is going to be a fiasco not even worth trying. Wade Miller's idea of how to make big money.

The longer this draws out, the more I am siding with the players. Canadian football needs players more than it needs fat cat owners. Not sure we need the CFL at all.

Anyone ever attend a Toronto Toros game?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Passcatcher View Post

The longer this draws out, the more I am siding with the players. Canadian football needs players more than it needs fat cat owners. Not sure we need the CFL at all.

What owners in the league are making money where you can refer to them as fat cat? They obviously make money in their other businesses, but not on the CFL. Edmonton and Saskatchewan are likely the most profitable franchises, and they are community owned. Even so, they claim they will be in the red following a year of no revenues. Not good for non profit organizations. Without owners taking losses every year there would be no league. Fact is the players and the owners need each other. I want the best for all the players, but the fact that you have a few (not all, but a few) of the American players spouting their mouths as if they know anything about league finances does absolutely nothing for the league.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    What owners in the league are making money where you can refer to them as fat cat? .
    Fat cat was a nicer name then narcissistic sociopathic egomaniac. Winnipeg has a problem for one.

Not so much making money and showing profit but more never paying for anything like the stadium and filling their pockets while they're there. In what world does it make sense that the Bombers start a soccer team and Wade Miller makes himself the CEO of that team as well. I know as much about soccer as he does. The arrogance has been a huge turnoff for me. I follow the league now more than the Bombers.

Winnipeg went for years with a volunteer board and chair serving two year terms. Now the CEO makes more than the premier and the Bombers are a sports and entertainment conglomerate. Even that is okay if he would just be honest and forthcoming but he is not. It's to the point where how do you get rid of the guy. Personally I am hoping for Miller to replace Ambrosie.

It's a sore point but the Argo forum is not the place.

Big difference between a David Braley or Bob Young who have put up heir own money. They deserve respect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The vast majority of baseball's Washington Senators voted to not play the Miami Marlins after 17 players and coaches on the team tested positive for Covid-19 on the weekend leading to the cancelation of the series. The league then cancelled all Miami games through the end of the week. Washington Senator manager Dave Martinez, who had cardiac surgery last year and would therefore is at high risk if he contracts Covid-19, said "I'm going to be honest with you, I'm scared, ... My level of concern just went from 8 to 12."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/5520868002/

While athletes are young and healthy, coaches and other staff of teams often are not, so all team sports, including CFL football, face the higher risk of having older, as well as immune compromised, personnel associated with the team from Covid-19.