Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Argo57 is absolutely right in his argument that MLSE's deep pockets should enable the Argos to handle the financial issue better than most. Reference to the team's difficulty in bouncing back, was addressing the issue of attendance. The Argos have experienced serious attendance issues in last few years and no games this season could exacerbate that problem, especially if other leagues (NFL,MLB etc) manage to play this season. Once fans get into the habit of not going to games, it is easy to continue with that habit.

Sorry for not being specific enough about the concern.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I don't fault the league for asking. If the other leagues start up in front of no fans (and I think they'll try), the CFL wouldn't be able to do the same without financial help. If not the government or Bell, the only other option is the NFL.
    NFL will play a shortened season beginning in November.

If not the government or Bell, the only other option is the NFL.
    There are other options for the CFL to investigate but they are too dysfunctional to choose that path.Bell is not going to do them any favors.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    NFL will play a shortened season beginning in November.
    Not in their plans right now. They want to play a full schedule, either on time or delayed by a few weeks: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...ck-three-weeks
    There are other options for the CFL to investigate but they are too dysfunctional to choose that path.
    Like what?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Well the fact the they are talking about some kind of assistance is somewhat encouraging. Wouldn't be surprised the Gov't asked the League to make a public ask to gage the reaction. Then they can say we won't be giving them that much and make all the nay sayers feel better. Meanwhile the League can probably do alright with less.
    I think this is exactly right. I think the money's coming for sure, a lot less than $150M but surely enough to stage a half-season.

These are uncharted waters we are in. Much of the conventional wisdom about what constitutes good or bad gov't spending is flying out the window.

I read today that they are sending the Snowbirds to fly over every Canadian city in the next few weeks to "boost morale". That's a considerable expense of manpower and fuel for something that doesn't help anybody eat or get healthy, but the morale of the country should be and is a major concern of the government. That's why they will surely drop a measly $30M on the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Argo57 is absolutely right in his argument that MLSE's deep pockets should enable the Argos to handle the financial issue better than most. Reference to the team's difficulty in bouncing back, was addressing the issue of attendance. The Argos have experienced serious attendance issues in last few years and no games this season could exacerbate that problem, especially if other leagues (NFL,MLB etc) manage to play this season. Once fans get into the habit of not going to games, it is easy to continue with that habit.

Sorry for not being specific enough about the concern.
    No worries Shatto.
    The attendance issue will be a long term fix, how to solve it is another story?
    The first step would be a consistently competitive and entertaining on field product (which Pinball has eluded to), an unexpected Grey Cup win followed by miserable seasons wont suffice IMO.
    Some semblance of roster stability would help as well however the current contract structure will make this difficult, I think the Argos strategy of concentrating on local talent is very smart and will help in this regard.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    No worries Shatto.
    Not that I want this to happen, but I can't help but wonder if a completely cancelled season might make some fans that have neglected the league for one reason or another start to appreciate it after it's been missing. I wonder if a lost season might actually help in the long run for increasing attendance.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That's fine, but what period would your $500,000-per-team payback cover? Seems to me it would have to be something on the order of 25 years (if not longer) if $150M were procured. If not, I'd love to see the math.
    Try this Calculator:

https://apps.royalbank.com/uaw0/personalloans/payment

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If the government is going to tell sports leagues that they're not allowed to play then they shouldn't be surprised when those leagues ask for compensation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    it's a dead link, but in any case I already tried an online calculator which yielded a more expensive payback schedule than another poster had suggested. It really doesn't matter since the league has indicated it is proposing an "in-kind" repayment plan.

It would be nice to know whether the league plans to pay its players if this aid is forthcoming. Some reports have indicated that is not part of the plan. If not, I'd like to know how the league thinks it stands to "lose" $150M for missing one season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    it's a dead link, but in any case I already tried an online calculator which yielded a more expensive payback schedule than another poster had suggested. It really doesn't matter since the league has indicated it is proposing an "in-kind" repayment plan.

It would be nice to know whether the league plans to pay its players if this aid is forthcoming. Some reports have indicated that is not part of the plan. If not, I'd like to know how the league thinks it stands to "lose" $150M for missing one season.
    That's odd, I just clicked the Link and it works fine for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The first step would be a consistently competitive and entertaining on field product (which Pinball has eluded to), an unexpected Grey Cup win followed by miserable seasons wont suffice IMO.
    Some semblance of roster stability would help as well however the current contract structure will make this difficult, I think the Argos strategy of concentrating on local talent is very smart and will help in this regard.
    Part of that stability should be drafting players from the Toronto region (including Hamilton), especially when one player does not stand out above the others when a given pick is made, as many Canadian players migrate back to their home cities in free agency because of family, familiarity and sometimes job opportunities. I'm glad to see that the Argos have already started to do that. This should be factored into even more in a draft year where the rookies may not even get to play and be one year closer to free agency before they step on the field to play. Drafting Toronto players makes even more sense for the Argos since the region's population is the greatest in number and potential talent in the country.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Part of that stability should be drafting players from the Toronto region (including Hamilton), especially when one player does not stand out above the others when a given pick is made, as many Canadian players migrate back to their home cities in free agency because of family, familiarity and sometimes job opportunities. I'm glad to see that the Argos have already started to do that. This should be factored into even more in a draft year where the rookies may not even get to play and be one year closer to free agency before they step on the field to play. Drafting Toronto players makes even more sense for the Argos since the region's population is the greatest in number and potential talent in the country.
    That approach is consistent with the Argos player signing since the 2019 season. Local players have been signed and their local presence being promoted. I’ve heard that in the NCAA, when two prospects are equivalent, the local prospect wins. The thinking is that the local prospect will put more paid seats in the stands.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    CNN is reporting that American daily COVID deaths will rise to 3,000 in June according to internal government estimates. If that's true, current border restrictions won't be scaled down any time soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    If you're a complete addict and therefore starved for any live sports action, which is all but non-existent thanks to Covid-19, the Korea Baseball Organization will be airing six games a week on ESPN, thanks to the fact that Korea have done a better job dealing with the virus. For me it's a very poor substitute for CFL action and I probably won't watch it. However, these games do offer some hope that life will eventually return to semi-normal.

ESPN will air six KBO games per week. Here's the schedule for this week! pic.twitter.com/QB0mb9srDZ
    — Jared Diamond (@jareddiamond) May 4, 2020

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2020...layers-big-ten

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CNN is reporting that American daily COVID deaths will rise to 3,000 in June according to internal government estimates. If that's true, current border restrictions won't be scaled down any time soon.
    You are misunderstanding the border situation. The border is closed to all non-essential or discretionary travel. The government website says this means all personal travel for the purposes of tourism or recreation.

But it goes on to say that "if you are healthy and must cross the border for work or other non-discretionary (essential) purposes, you may continue to do so". In other words they are allowing non-symptomatic Americans to travel to Canada for work purposes.

The catch is that upon arrival in Canada they must quarantine for 14 days, but that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle getting players into camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Accoridng to Trudeu today, discussions are going on between the government and league.'

https://www.tsn.ca/justin-trudeau-di...-cfl-1.1471050

It's not a hard or fast 'no' right now.
    Back to this, I understand some of the outrage to government assistance and perhaps the publicly owned teams should get something over the privately owned teams. But as usual media and people don't have their priorities right.

Justin recently announced the following.
    "$77.5 million to help food processors purchase protective equipment for workers, adapt to health protocols like physical distancing "

You don't have to look hard to read how badly Cargill treats it's employees in horrible working conditions. Cargill also made more than 2.5 billion last year. I don't see how they need 77 million. But people will rip the CFL for asking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Some fan/commentators at another site are seeing a CFL season starting in July ??? Sure love to see CFL ball back, and much sooner than later, but I just can't picture a season starting before September, if at all this year; and I wonder how many people will be willing to sit in crowds at CFL games and risk getting infected by this very bad virus (not me, and i wuz looking forward to seeing the Argos visit Ottawa in the first game). Could they go with just televised games (while allowing some sort of lottery system to allow a few fans to attend with social distancing?) - football games with zero people in the stands would be very weird IMO - I'd probably watch, but have a feeling it would be very disappointing ??? And allowing American players across the border without serious medical inspection and some sort of quarantine period is another big issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    New Alouette owner Gary Stern is saying the league is in "dire straits" because of Covid-19, but he promises to keep the team alive.

“If they don’t allow (games to be played) by September, it’s going to be very difficult for us to do. They believe there can be (games played). I’m hopeful there can be,” Stern told
    Montreal Gazette reporter Herb Zurkowsky. “It’s a lunch-bucket league. This league is in dire straits. We do need help.”

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie asked the Canadian government for up to $150 million because of COVID-19 ramifications on the league and it’s finances. Zurkowsky reports: it’s believed the Als would lose $9 million — and the CFL could lose $100 million — if the season is lost.

“I’ve been frank about it. We bought this team and we’re well funded. Would you, no matter how much money you had … think it’s right that I or you or whoever the owner is, pours money into something? Because I have money, I should pour money in? Stern asked. ...

“This team will not fold. I will not let it. I say that to my employees and players. The Alouettes are here. I didn’t buy it for one year. I didn’t buy it for two years. This is going to be a great club for now and the future. We’re going to be around.”

Stern and his partner Sid Spiegel purchased the Alouettes in January. Stern is Crawford Steel’s chief executive officer. The Als were bought by S and S Sportsco, a corporate entity owned by Spiegel and Stern.

“There could have been no worse timing. But we would do it all over again,” Stern said. ...

Stern is taking a positive mindset towards the possibility of being able to play games. “I hope this can happen in September, but there are deadlines rapidly coming,” Stern said. “Keep your head up. I’m telling you, this will come to fruition and something good is going to happen.”
    https://3downnation.com/2020/05/05/a...e-to-covid-19/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Once the FEDS come out with policy for the NBA, NHL, NBA and CFL (which they are working on) as caution permits, I don't imagine quarantining pro sports athletes in an isolated university complex would be that much of a challenge. Especially if there is in & out testing available.

That would be expensive, but less expensive and less fatal than not playing ball in 2020.

I am still confident that there will be a season in 2020.

I know the league would like to avoid playing in empty stadiums, I see that as unavoidable, at least for the pre-season and a ramp up to labour day.

I can still see TC's opening in July. Call me crazy.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Once the FEDS come out with policy for the NBA, NHL, NBA and CFL (which they are working on) as caution permits, I don't imagine quarantining pro sports athletes in an isolated university complex would be that much of a challenge. Especially if there is in & out testing available.

That would be expensive, but less expensive and less fatal than not playing ball in 2020.

I am still confident that there will be a season in 2020.

I know the league would like to avoid playing in empty stadiums, I see that as unavoidable, at least for the pre-season and a ramp up to labour day.

I can still see TC's opening in July. Call me crazy.
    The CFL has a big advantage over the other sports because after the US CFL players arrive in Canada and do their 14-day quarantine, then there's no more border crossings to worry about, other than guys coming up during the season.

It's the back-and-forth across the border that other leagues have to do that creates a logistical nightmare. I can't imagine they would waive the mandatory 14-day quarantine period only for pro athletes and nobody else.

This is why they are talking about the Raptors and the Blue Jays temporarily relocating to the States to play whatever's left of their seasons. And i've heard rumours of the Canadian NHL teams playing a tournament amongst themselves to avoid border problems.

But I'm with you Gonzo. I see CFL football this fall, with no fans in the stands. But how amazing would it be if the CFL could be the first league to get going in the mid-summer?
    Last edited by Rich; 05-07-2020 at 02:34 AM.