Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As has been my stance since day 1, Naylor tweets:

Commissioner @RandyAmbrosie said “most likely scenario” is no 2020 season. #CFL
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Without financial help, there's just no way they can operate playing in empty stadiums.

I don't mean to be a downer, but 2021 is no sure thing either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level

My thoughts as well. The slim chance of a shortened season starting in Sept would most likely be played in empty stadiums.
    Perhaps you try to get extra tv/sponsorship money and hold the games in only one or two stadiums to reduce travel costs.
    But I fear the CFLPA wants to fight every move with the league, which is very bad for the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Als letter to Season Ticket holders today:

UPDATE ON THE 2020 SEASON: ALL THE SCENARIOS ARE STILL BEING CONSIDERED

Dear fan,

Just like us, you must be closely following the situation caused by COVID-19, and just as we do, you must be hoping for a rapid improvement so we can get back to football as quickly as possible in Montreal, and all over the country.

As we mentioned in previous messages, all the scenarios are still being considered. As the pandemic evolves, we are getting closer to the possibility of a truncated season. You have probably read, seen or heard in the media on Thursday that CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie talked about the scenario of a cancelled season during his testimony before a House of Commons committee. We wanted to tell you more information about this statement.

A few weeks ago, our commissioner asked the federal government for financial support in case the season had to be truncated or cancelled. It is important to note that this request presents itself as a long-term partnership with the government where the funds would be provided to the CFL in advance, and the teams would provide visibility/ads to the government through their digital channels, stadiums and broadcasts.

Mr. Ambrosie's visit to the House of Commons was related to that request and explains why the scenario of a cancelled season was picked up and shared by the media. Know that the CFL is still working assiduously with all the organizations and the government to prevent this scenario from happening.

For the moment being, we count on your patience and thank you again for your loyalty and comprehension. We will remain in touch with you to give you all the information available, but don't hesitate to call one of our representatives at 514 787-2525 if you wish to do so.

Keep taking care of yourself and of your close ones. No matter what happens in the upcoming weeks, we will come back stronger when this is all over.

Talk to you soon,

Mario Cecchini
    President
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Ambrosie made a tactical mistake by not having representation from the players association with him at the presentation. A combined front of league and players would have been more effective. The priority of the government has been to assure workers finances are being addressed. Unless the league and players can provide a united front, showing players, community as well as the league management needs, are being addressed, IMO, there is little hope money will be forthcoming.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe the Federal Gov't is going to step in with help for the CFL, but as I have thought all along the Provincial Gov't and maybe CFL Cities will also have to share some of the burden.
    The thing about asking Ambosie what the players are going to be paid. They have a Salary Cap and the players have contracts. I'm sure the books will be opened.
    After all it is the Gov't who is preventing the teams from playing or allowing fans to attend games, so why shouldn't they step up and extend a helping hand.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ambrose got some hard questioning on not having player representatives with him and not having a detailed business plan after talking with the federal government's standing committee on finance.

Member of Parliament Pam Demoff was blunt in regards to the CFL’s ask for $150 million in financial support amid the COVID-19 crisis. She told Sportsnet’s Arash Madani the players piece of the potential government pie has to be accounted for in the league’s ask.

CFLPA president Solomon Elimimian sent out a memo two weeks ago stating that CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie was unwilling to discuss a potential solution to the ongoing health pandemic. The two sides last spoke on April 16 until Friday, May 8 when the two sides got back together.

“Anything would be contingent on an agreement with the players,” Demoff, the Liberal MP for Oakville North–Burlington, said. “Nobody can fund anything until the league knows what the players are going to be paid.”

After Ambrosie presented to the members of the standing committee on finance, he was hammered for not having the players with him. Further to the point, government officials want a complete plan of what the league plans to do if funds do come their way.

“I told the commissioner the league needs to put together a business plan. The sooner they have one put together, and present to the members of the finance committee, it would be helpful,” Demoff said. “What are you looking for the federal government to do? I think we need to help them out if they have a business plan that’s viable for the government and the CFL. And I think they can do it.”

Ambrosie wants $30 million in working capital to keep operating in 2020 and estimates the league could need as much as an additional $120 million over the next two years — if the most negative scenarios, all of them, come true.

Former Ticats radio play-by-play voice Bob Bratina serves as the Hamilton East-Stoney Creek Liberal MP and believes the CFL is part of Canadiana. “The CFL can’t be lumped in with Major League Baseball or in the NBA category. The CFL is part of the fabric of our country,” Bratina, who was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1998, said. “I don’t think there should be a federal (funding) program for all pro sports, but with the CFL I think it’s a special case.”
    https://3downnation.com/2020/05/08/m...ng-to-be-paid/
    Last edited by jerrym; 05-09-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    There are probably a number of MP's who would lean towards helping out the CFL but unless they can see that players are being assisted by the funding they are unlikely to look favourably on the request. Anyone who has sought government grants, especially significant sums, knows the request has to demonstrate the community and workers (players) are going to benefit from the grant to some extent or other. It was poor judgement not to have management and players association, presenting a united front and common message. Hopefully it is not too late for them to get together and develop a plan that will appeal to the committee.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    How does anyone expect the Canadian Government to give money to the more than half the PA which is made up of Americans that don’t even reside in Canada? IMO, it can’t be compared to those residing here receiving EI or CERB benefits.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    How does anyone expect the Canadian Government to give money to the more than half the PA which is made up of Americans that don’t even reside in Canada? IMO, it can’t be compared to those residing here receiving EI or CERB benefits.
    Exactly. And many people bash the league for not including the players in the process of approaching the government.

Including the PA so early when a significant number of their membership including the highest paid ones are Americans. Having them on board when looking after Canadian taxpayers dollars? That's not going to have a good look.

How to bring them on board? Have the MPs... our elected officials publically say they must be part of the process. What a brilliant move...and I'm not being sarcastic either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Not including the players was a massive misread of the situation. The CFL in its moment of biggest crisis failed to leverage whatever goodwill had been gained with the players association by working together earlier in the crisis. This is fairly typical of corporations: most see unions as the enemy and incapable of being trusted or treated as actual partners, sometimes despite platitudes to the contrary. The CFL also failed to understand that the federal government wouldn't offer extraordinary one-off help on request without a clear understanding of all the implications. A unified approach might or might not have been met with favour, but a unilateral approach was destined to fail. It's hard for corporations to bring employees and their representatives into the tent, but sometimes it is necessary.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Let it be known that I'm am in favour of a Government bailout. But, I love being a conspiricy theorist. What if Randy wasn't really as dumb as he appeared to be talking to the Government. What if they want the Government to reject the bailout. Because they have the NFL waiting and lurking in the back ground to fund and restructure the CFL as feeder league. We end up with a hybrid CFL/NFL rules League. Four downs, smaller field (100 X 60)? 20 yard end zones, keep the rouge. That would make it easier for the some of the CFL diehards to accept the new League.
    The Argos become the NFL's 32nd team and everybody in Toronto will be happy except us few season ticket holders. Add a some US cities to create TV interest down south. Goodbye ratio because the CFL is going Global.
    I saw a poll that said 70% of the people polled were against a Government bailout, even higher in Eastern Canada. I see people who claim to love the CFL, have season tickets and are against Government assistance. We're still a free Country, I think, so we're all entitled to our opinions. But, there's an old saying. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    But maybe it is time to face up to reality that the CFL has become a feeder League for the NFL and the younger generation look on it as 2nd rate. The League lurches along from one crisis after another but somehow until now survives. But maybe its time to admit the obvious that the League is dying, and accept a hand that won't affect the reluctant tax payers of Canada. The iron grip of the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Very good question.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ambrosie botched things by not involving the players in this process, also if your asking for a substantial amount of money you should be ready with a detailed account of where these funds will be allocated.
    One thing I don’t get, Ambrosie said the league lost $10-20 Million last season, how will they ever be able to pay these funds back to the Canadian taxpayer?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...kOSvhUZq8mLPwC
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Let it be known that I'm am in favour of a Government bailout. But, I love being a conspiricy theorist. What if Randy wasn't really as dumb as he appeared to be talking to the Government. What if they want the Government to reject the bailout. Because they have the NFL waiting and lurking in the back ground to fund and restructure the CFL as feeder league. We end up with a hybrid CFL/NFL rules League. Four downs, smaller field (100 X 60)? 20 yard end zones, keep the rouge. That would make it easier for the some of the CFL diehards to accept the new League.
    The Argos become the NFL's 32nd team and everybody in Toronto will be happy except us few season ticket holders. Add a some US cities to create TV interest down south. Goodbye ratio because the CFL is going Global.
    I saw a poll that said 70% of the people polled were against a Government bailout, even higher in Eastern Canada. I see people who claim to love the CFL, have season tickets and are against Government assistance. We're still a free Country, I think, so we're all entitled to our opinions. But, there's an old saying. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    But maybe it is time to face up to reality that the CFL has become a feeder League for the NFL and the younger generation look on it as 2nd rate. The League lurches along from one crisis after another but somehow until now survives. But maybe its time to admit the obvious that the League is dying, and accept a hand that won't affect the reluctant tax payers of Canada. The iron grip of the NFL.
    The NFL bailed out the CFL in 1997 without demanding the league changing any rules, if the NFL bailed out the CFL again ( I don’t As for see it happening as the NFL has been hit financially as well), why would they demand it this time around?
    The CFL is already the largest supply of pro players to the NFL and has been for years.
    If the CFL dies, which I have accepted could and probably will happen, how does that pave the way for the NFL to come to Toronto without a stadium? Who would pay for the NFL caliber venue?
    The league was pretty strong until this virus situation, it was not dying.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 05-09-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    So what do people think will happen to players contacts if the league is suspended for 2020:

1. All players will be released from their player contacts and will be free to sign with any teams if the CFL plays in 2021.

OR

2. Players will be freed to sign with any NFL teams in 2020, but players who don't sign with the NFL, we be contractually obligated to play for their CFL teams if the CFL plays in 2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    That's quite the conspiracy theory.

Short-term financing I can see, but not so sure the NFL would want a long-term arrangement with the CFL and push for rule changes. The NFL tried a feeder league with the WLAF/NFL Europe which was eventually abandoned because it was a money drain. Besides, the NFL already has a feeder system in NCAA football which is profitable at the highest level (the so-called power five conferences) and costs the NFL nothing.

On the other hand, the continued existence of the CFL helps the NFL regarding anti-trust law in the U.S., so maybe the NFL would be willing to go the extra mile.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If the CFL dies, which I have accepted could and probably will happen, how does that pave the way for the NFL to come to Toronto without a stadium? Who would pay for the NFL caliber venue?
    Assuming the NFL would want to put a team here, some rich individuals with maybe some government help. There's a lot more money in Toronto than when Paul Godfrey was in the middle of his Toronto-NFL quest 30 years ago. Bell also makes a boatload from NFL broadcasts so they might be willing to throw in some bucks.

I think the current situation illustrates the biggest problem with the CFL. After the 84-86 TV contract expired, the CFL has struggled to monetize itself and grow in the one area that matters more than any other -- broadcast rights fees. Despite teams moving, player strikes, and rival leagues, the NFL has consistently increased rights fees by large margins since the 70s. The NFL isn't 50 times better than the CFL, but, because of the financial disparity between the leagues, that's the perception especially in Canada's bigger markets.

Having said all that, I still choose to believe the CFL will survive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    CNN is reporting that American daily COVID deaths will rise to 3,000 in June according to internal government estimates. If that's true, current border restrictions won't be scaled down any time soon.
    You're still allowed to cross the Border for work.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah giving Canadian tax dollars to Non-Canadians isn't going to fly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That's quite the conspiracy theory.

Short-term financing I can see, but not so sure the NFL would want a long-term arrangement with the CFL and push for rule changes. The NFL tried a feeder league with the WLAF/NFL Europe which was eventually abandoned because it was a money drain. Besides, the NFL already has a feeder system in NCAA football which is profitable at the highest level (the so-called power five conferences) and costs the NFL nothing.

On the other hand, the continued existence of the CFL helps the NFL regarding anti-trust law in the U.S., so maybe the NFL would be willing to go the extra mile.

Assuming the NFL would want to put a team here, some rich individuals with maybe some government help. There's a lot more money in Toronto than when Paul Godfrey was in the middle of his Toronto-NFL quest 30 years ago. Bell also makes a boatload from NFL broadcasts so they might be willing to throw in some bucks.

I think the current situation illustrates the biggest problem with the CFL. After the 84-86 TV contract expired, the CFL has struggled to monetize itself and grow in the one area that matters more than any other -- broadcast rights fees. Despite teams moving, player strikes, and rival leagues, the NFL has consistently increased rights fees by large margins since the 70s. The NFL isn't 50 times better than the CFL, but, because of the financial disparity between the leagues, that's the perception especially in Canada's bigger markets.

Having said all that, I still choose to believe the CFL will survive.
    NFL teams aren't allowed to be owned by a corporation. Who has 2 Billion USD to buy a franchise and build a Stadium? Governments aren't going to fund a NFL Stadium.