Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That's quite the conspiracy theory.

Short-term financing I can see, but not so sure the NFL would want a long-term arrangement with the CFL and push for rule changes. The NFL tried a feeder league with the WLAF/NFL Europe which was eventually abandoned because it was a money drain. Besides, the NFL already has a feeder system in NCAA football which is profitable at the highest level (the so-called power five conferences) and costs the NFL nothing.

On the other hand, the continued existence of the CFL helps the NFL regarding anti-trust law in the U.S., so maybe the NFL would be willing to go the extra mile.

Assuming the NFL would want to put a team here, some rich individuals with maybe some government help. There's a lot more money in Toronto than when Paul Godfrey was in the middle of his Toronto-NFL quest 30 years ago. Bell also makes a boatload from NFL broadcasts so they might be willing to throw in some bucks.

I think the current situation illustrates the biggest problem with the CFL. After the 84-86 TV contract expired, the CFL has struggled to monetize itself and grow in the one area that matters more than any other -- broadcast rights fees. Despite teams moving, player strikes, and rival leagues, the NFL has consistently increased rights fees by large margins since the 70s. The NFL isn't 50 times better than the CFL, but, because of the financial disparity between the leagues, that's the perception especially in Canada's bigger markets.

Having said all that, I still choose to believe the CFL will survive.
    NFL teams aren't allowed to be owned by a corporation. Who has 2 Billion USD to buy a franchise and build a Stadium? Governments aren't going to fund a NFL Stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    NFL teams aren't allowed to be owned by a corporation. Who has 2 Billion USD to buy a franchise and build a Stadium? Governments aren't going to fund a NFL Stadium.
    No kidding. That's why I said individuals. I think an owner or ownership group wouldn't be a problem if the NFL actively wanted a team in Toronto. A stadium would be a big stumbling block, but that hasn't stopped the NFL before. Better that this remains hypothetical so we never find out what would happen.