Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    To me the biggest revelation is this: “How do we restructure our business model? What changes can we make to make our league stronger? We’re looking at our business models, we’re looking at our cost models, we’re having really good discussions with the players’ association. We’re going to be talking with our coaches and football operations partners because they play such a vital role in our game. It’s time to really work on our business model — to really look at the foundation on which our league sits. One where we get our cost models into place. That’s the single greatest lesson from this, is we need to do work on our business now. This is a chance for us to work on our business, to set a new foundation for the league’s future.”

Seems pretty clear that the league has come to the realization it can't keep spending more than it's receiving, and that its revenues are likely going to be down not just in 2020 but beyond. So costs will have to come down to survive. That means (among other things) pay cuts for players. I suspect fairly steep pay cuts will be needed, which means some pretty challenging negotiations with the PA. It may also mean going back to the days of small coaching staffs.
    I've banged this drum before and I'll do it again: Put in a maximum salary of $450K. That prevents the teams from giving out an insane contract to one player and really only affects quarterbacks.

I'm also down for smaller coaching staffs. Maximum of seven coaches.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I've banged this drum before and I'll do it again: Put in a maximum salary of $450K. That prevents the teams from giving out an insane contract to one player and really only affects quarterbacks.

I'm also down for smaller coaching staffs. Maximum of seven coaches.
    I've also lobbied for a max individual salary, but that won't do anything to minimize costs without totally lowering the overall cap, and that would not be a good thing for the league. Fact is they have to find a way to increase overall revenues. One thing they can definitely do is stop the fictitious injuries listed allowing teams to carry 15 or so extra bodies at full salary. Maybe the league needs to hire an independent physician to verify all the injuries are legit before allowing for this.

In the end, as I have said earlier in this thread, the teams have to get together and share all revenues. A league is only as strong as it's weakest team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    In the end, as I have said earlier in this thread, the teams have to get together and share all revenues. A league is only as strong as it's weakest team.
    It's a little late for that. The question that must be addressed for this market is how MLSE will reduce the Argonaut brand in 2021? Do they move games to Alumni Stadium?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I found great solace on April 8th when Professor Karol Silora (UK) laid out the near term future.

Maybe a week off on the resumption of society, but certainly right and optimistic when others were most gloomy.

Today Professor Sikora reported:

“Families & friends are being reunited, the high street is reopening, sport is back on soon.

I always thought summer would feel a lot more like normal than people feared.

It was never going to happen overnight, but the worst of this pandemic is far behind us.”
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    It's a little late for that. The question that must be addressed for this market is how MLSE will reduce the Argonaut brand in 2021? Do they move games to Alumni Stadium?
    Ah. Another conspiracy theorist. Carry on.
    It's us vs the rest of the country