Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    As Will mentioned above, this thread is for discussions about the Argos and the CFL.

Neely is sharing dubious information (let's just say that those of us in the medical research field have a somewhat different opinion) but this thread is about football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I wonder if the league would considered start playing with Canadian residents. I am sure there is precedent for league operations during global disruptions. What happened in 1919 during the Spanish Flu?
    No way (IMO), the CFL even considers playing without American players - and (IMO again) those players should not be allowed across the border to play in the CFL without medical clearance thru extensive testing (i.e. not just taking their temperatures) - they are hardly an essiential service.

There's another CFL fan forum site that features a former CFL all-star player (from 60s era) who posts once in awhile and is known to stick-up for Canadian football talent; at the start of this Covid news about sports in general, and the CFL in particular, being cancelled or postponed, he made a comment that the CFL could go ahead and play with Canadian players only and it would be OK by him - his opinion. He was greeted with mocking and negative reply comments - from the usual suspects - who have been told/sold that Canadians are inferior at football and think that a Canadians only CFL would be garbage, unwatchable football; the same types who love to bleat "ratio problem" or cheer for more and more American players being added to CFL rosters (as has been going on for a long time in the CFL).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    No way (IMO), the CFL even considers playing without American players - and (IMO again) those players should not be allowed across the border to play in the CFL without medical clearance thru extensive testing (i.e. not just taking their temperatures) - they are hardly an essiential service.

There's another CFL fan forum site that features a former CFL all-star player (from 60s era) who posts once in awhile and is known to stick-up for Canadian football talent; at the start of this Covid news about sports in general, and the CFL in particular, being cancelled or postponed, he made a comment that the CFL could go ahead and play with Canadian players only and it would be OK by him - his opinion. He was greeted with mocking and negative reply comments - from the usual suspects - who have been told/sold that Canadians are inferior at football and think that a Canadians only CFL would be garbage, unwatchable football; the same types who love to bleat "ratio problem" or cheer for more and more American players being added to CFL rosters (as has been going on for a long time in the CFL).
    Canadian talent should be well represented in the CFL but I also think there would be a significant drop off in talent and quality of play if the league consisted of Canadian players only.
    I don’t think there is enough depth in Canadian talent to hold up to the current talent level the CFL currently has with the American players.
    Last edited by Argo57; 04-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's a moot point. There's a well established system in place with a CBA, cap, players signed, etc. They couldn't play with only Canadian players or Martians if they wanted to. Just like the NHL could never restart with only Canadian players.

There was no CFL as we know it in 1919. I'm not even sure they paid players back then since university teams also competed for the Grey Cup.
    Regular season play resumed following World War I.

No playoff games were held in the east because of a rules dispute with the CRU in the West, lack of interest in the East, and student studies to the Intercollegiate Union which were deemed more important.
    No Grey Cup in 1919 because of a rules dispute, and school was more important than football! What kind of a crazy world was that?

There was also a team called the Toronto Torontos in the ORFU that year. Very original name. The Argos were 3-3 and tied for 2nd in the IRFU. I'm sure that rules dispute cost us another Cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Now the Stampede is cancelled, it becomes more apparent that the CFL will not resume this summer. Labour Day may be possibility, unless the league plays games in closed venues.

There is some positive news regarding a vaccine. Across the world there are 70 in development at this time. Chris Whitty, England Chief Medical Officer announced human clinical trials began today of a vaccine developed at Oxford Un. The head of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute ( Oxford Un) has stated she is 80% confident the vaccine will work. This team had already successfully developed a vaccine against MERS, another coronavirus

Germany has also approved clinical trial of a vaccine developed in that country,

Doctors in Seattle, are giving a second round of shots of a vaccine to volunteers, which indicates the early trial is going well. This vaccine was developed at the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases at Cambridge Mass.

The problem is one of time. It will take a number of months to complete the trials and then several more months to ramp up the production of a successful vaccine. The vaccine will probably be given to front line workers first. So, if all goes well and that is a big if, the vaccine may be available to some in early 2021.

The good news is the speed at which a vaccine is being developed, trialled and potentially produced. The bad news, is that all of this means, we can't expect a vaccine this calendar year, which may mean games can't be played in front of fan filled venues.

Smile---this too shall pass. Now------any more thoughts about the upcoming draft?
    There was no vaccine for MERS:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...ere-be-one-new

There has Never been a vaccine for a Coronavirus:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...razer/12146616

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    As Will mentioned above, this thread is for discussions about the Argos and the CFL.

Neely is sharing dubious information (let's just say that those of us in the medical research field have a somewhat different opinion) but this thread is about football.
    This Thread is about how COVID-19 will affect the CFL.

Please elaborate on what "dubious information" I have shared.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it just got a lot tougher to try and get a stadium built in Halifax. Governments the world over will be taken to task for helping fund sports stadiums.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think we've handled this situation correctly, cautiously and prudently so far. I also believe, like with 911, some things will have changed forever. And I also continue to believe that we will see a 2020 CFL season, truncated or not.

Nature is bigger than us, but it always has been our nature to adapt and carry on.

Adapt and carry on we will. It's too easy to get down these days. There have been experts warning us about this type of thing re-occurring for many years now, so as surprising as it is to be living it, it's not really all that surprising at all.

Let's talk draft! OV, I'll be looking for your mock draft(s) on the other thread.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoheath View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it just got a lot tougher to try and get a stadium built in Halifax. Governments the world over will be taken to task for helping fund sports stadiums.
    Aside from the reluctance many individuals will have to attend mass gatherings, govts are going to have to dig out from the massive amount of unbudgeted expenditures this situation has created. Taxpayers won't have much tolerance for frills like stadiums that will be used maybe 20-30 days a year.

And aside from THAT, the CFL needs to focus right now on surviving, IMO. It won't be easy, especially if there is no 2020 season. Expanding seems like a pipe dream at this point.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The league is facing a devastating situation, with covid-19. The virus seems to be easily transmitted in congregated setting. This is having a disastrous effect on mass gatherings, like concerts and sports events. It is becoming more obvious, the CFL has 3 choices. First, is to hope the virus abates enough by this fall to create a shortened season. Second, is to play games in closed stadiums. Third, is to cancel the 2020 season all together.

At time like this, the league needs highly visible leadership. Not sure we are getting it from our Ambrose but perhaps it will be forthcoming---hopefully

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I brought that up. Not sure if it was earlier in this thread or another.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    The stadium plan is on the back burner for now until Covid-19 gets under control

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...burner-440908/

20 million has already been conditionally approved by Halifax council. To rescind that, a super majority would need to vote to do so and there is no appetite for this except for those who already voted against in the first place.

At most I think this will be delay as the area recovers. During the last major economic downturn of 2008-09, the CFL had a conditional franchise awarded for Ottawa and plans we're in the works to rebuild the stadium using public funds. The downturn didn't kill the efforts, there were other delays of course but the job still got done.

If the Halifax plan doesn't happen, it won't be Covid that kills it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    20 million has already been conditionally approved by Halifax council. To rescind that, a super majority would need to vote to do so and there is no appetite for this except for those who already voted against in the first place.
    How can you be so sure there is no appetite to rescind that? If I understand correctly, that 20 mil was conditionally approved before COVID-19 came along. I have to assume that both Halifax and Nova Scotia are incurring both unplanned expenses and reduced tax revenues as a result of this shutdown. I would bet that confirming funding for a stadium will fall well below other priorities when the day of financial reckoning arrives.

And as I noted earlier, what guarantee is there that there will still be a viable CFL for a new team to enter? If the 2020 season gets cancelled, and a lot of people stop wanting to gather in large groups, and a lot of people are worse off financially because of lost jobs and/or plunging stock markets, the CFL could face an existential crisis. I hope it's around for many years, but I don't believe that is a sure thing. (Like almost anything else from the "old normal" -- nothing is not a sure thing at this point, IMO.) Thinking about expansion at the moment seems far-fetched at best.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    How can you be so sure there is no appetite to rescind that? If I understand correctly, that 20 mil was conditionally approved before COVID-19 came along. I have to assume that both Halifax and Nova Scotia are incurring both unplanned expenses and reduced tax revenues as a result of this shutdown. I would bet that confirming funding for a stadium will fall well below other priorities when the day of financial reckoning arrives.

And as I noted earlier, what guarantee is there that there will still be a viable CFL for a new team to enter? If the 2020 season gets cancelled, and a lot of people stop wanting to gather in large groups, and a lot of people are worse off financially because of lost jobs and/or plunging stock markets, the CFL could face an existential crisis. I hope it's around for many years, but I don't believe that is a sure thing. (Like almost anything else from the "old normal" -- nothing is not a sure thing at this point, IMO.) Thinking about expansion at the moment seems far-fetched at best.
    The Covid crisis has been in effect for the better part of a month and half. City council meets every 2 week so there has been a few opportunities to rescind it already. OK it's not 'no appetite' but it needs two-thirds to rescind. Councillors like Sam Austin who voted against the deal are the ones who feel the funds should be used for something else and using the Pandemic to continue his view.

Building a stadium is a long range plan, even if this gets approved it wouldn't open until 2023 at the earliest. Even the most pessimistic views don't believe the pandemic and it's lasting effects will last this long. If this has to shut the league down (which I don't believe it will) then there will be a climate to relaunch once people are comfortable with the new normal.

Agreed it's not the best to talk expansion right now. Which is why the stadium plan is on the back burner until this is under control.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Plan to reopen Ontario to be released next week:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/wh...ario-1.4909981

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The pandemic itself will likely be finished by 2023. Paying for it won't be.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Plan to reopen Ontario to be released next week:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/wh...ario-1.4909981
    I would think the league could do a mid July camp - Aug games with no one in the stands and then a Labour Day game with people. Special precautions as mask supply should recover by then - everyone wearing them along with other things the league could do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    I would think the league could do a mid July camp - Aug games with no one in the stands and then a Labour Day game with people. Special precautions as mask supply should recover by then - everyone wearing them along with other things the league could do.
    I don't expect the borders to be open by then TBH. If the borders aren't open, there can be no thought of a season of any kind.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't expect the borders to be open by then TBH. If the borders aren't open, there can be no thought of a season of any kind.
    I agree. Calgary just announced no large gatherings to August 31st. So the Stampeders could not hold a training camp or even think of playing a game.
    Unless there are exceptions for sports teams CFL/NHL. But that will not sit well when some people can't go back to work still etc. And again it's a mute point if the boarders are closed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I cannot see how we can have a football season now that Alberta has jumped the gun and banned all gatherings for the entire summer. I am hating it when governments just add on four months at a time. The economic disaster is going to be much worse than the virus.