Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    They could move the Grey Cup to November 29th, which would make it 10 weeks. It also may be possible to start a week or two before Labour Day and fit in 12 games with some creative scheduling. If not 12, 10 games seems manageable.

Having an odd number of teams makes things difficult, so I think all nine teams would have to be in one hub city or two close to each other. I'm thinking the GTA because MLSE probably has the most resources for hosting teams. There should be no conflicts at BMO with TFC because they'll probably play all their games down south if MLS restarts. Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa/Montreal if necessary can handle all scheduling requirements.

Rosters could be tricky. No doubt they wouldn't want the expense of carrying more guys, yet they might need to under these conditions.
    I wonder what the average temp. is for Regina at the end of November. I think could be Brrrrrr.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I wonder what the average temp. is for Regina at the end of November. I think could be Brrrrrr.
    The temperature during the 2013 Grey Cup Week dropped to -40 C below. Game time it was brisk until the sun went down. The temporary endzone seats were freezing with the wind whistling through. We had some local advice on layering.
    Attachment 955
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    The temperature during the 2013 Grey Cup Week dropped to -40 C below. Game time it was brisk until the sun went down. The temporary endzone seats were freezing with the wind whistling through. We had some local advice on layering.
    Attachment 955
    You hit the nail on the head with "until the sun went down". Changes the game imo. 2 pm local starts would be a solution that they don't seem to care for.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interestingly for the CFL, Mark Daniels’ just reported that the movie industry have now scheduled new movie openings for this summer. He said that the thinking is that initially the cinemas will open up at 50% capacity and see what happens.

Has anyone heard of any second wave anywhere in the world yet? Several European countries reopened 30 days ago.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    If there is one thing COVID-19 has taught us, it's that what we see today is not necessarily what we're going to see tomorrow, or two weeks or two months from now. Maybe there will be no "second wave" anywhere, but I certainly would not place any money on that possibility.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The CFLPA is talking about Labour Day for the likely restart.

Mankind has a history built on progress based on trial and error. I don’t expect this exit to be any different. My observation today where I live we’re moving quickly back to normal. In the absence of any global evidence it’s lunacy to stop people from earning a living. Maybe they just got it wrong?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I don't see any lunacy here. I see a lot of very difficult decisions made more challenging because they involve an arena sport played by people currently spread across a continent - including places where the virus has not yet peaked.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    "In the absence of any global evidence" may be one of the most bizarre and confounding statements I've read on this forum.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    The CFLPA is talking about Labour Day for the likely restart.

In the absence of any global evidence it’s lunacy to stop people from earning a living. Maybe they just got it wrong?
    Got what wrong? The 324,911 dead globally currently? (https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/)

All the scientists and doctors telling this is the greatest pandemic since at least 1918?

Are they just faking it, including all the people crying on TV about their dead relatives?

Can we at least show respect for the dead and their suffering relatives.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Unfortunately, the virus is most easily transmitted in large congregated settings, where people are in close contact, for long periods of time. Until, there is a vaccine or treatment for the virus or the R factor becomes almost nil, mass gatherings are not likely to be sanctioned. The transmissions issues are particularly prevalent in closed settings, making indoor sports like hockey and basketball much more likely to be played in closed venues.

If the league is able to acquire sufficient government funding, we might see the CFL playing games September on ---but without fans present. Some are already, expressing the concern that if the league shuts down the entire season, it could well jeopardize the very existence of the league. So hopefully, one way or another, with or without fans in attendance, we will see games played this year.

Achievements:

Level
    I'm pretty sure that 1971 meant "evidence from sources elsewhere on the globe that show a resurgence of cases after relaxation of distancing rules", guys.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well Paranoia is contagious.

Achievements:

Level
    It doesn't need to be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Maybe OT, did anyone else get the link for the virtual town hall with Ambroise?

I'll listen in but won't be in a position to ask questions....not that I have any that will have an answer at this time anyways.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, received the link for commissioner's town hall. I'll be interested to hear what new information he will be providing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    To me the biggest revelation is this: “How do we restructure our business model? What changes can we make to make our league stronger? We’re looking at our business models, we’re looking at our cost models, we’re having really good discussions with the players’ association. We’re going to be talking with our coaches and football operations partners because they play such a vital role in our game. It’s time to really work on our business model — to really look at the foundation on which our league sits. One where we get our cost models into place. That’s the single greatest lesson from this, is we need to do work on our business now. This is a chance for us to work on our business, to set a new foundation for the league’s future.”

Seems pretty clear that the league has come to the realization it can't keep spending more than it's receiving, and that its revenues are likely going to be down not just in 2020 but beyond. So costs will have to come down to survive. That means (among other things) pay cuts for players. I suspect fairly steep pay cuts will be needed, which means some pretty challenging negotiations with the PA. It may also mean going back to the days of small coaching staffs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    To me the biggest revelation is this: “How do we restructure our business model? What changes can we make to make our league stronger? We’re looking at our business models, we’re looking at our cost models, we’re having really good discussions with the players’ association. We’re going to be talking with our coaches and football operations partners because they play such a vital role in our game. It’s time to really work on our business model — to really look at the foundation on which our league sits. One where we get our cost models into place. That’s the single greatest lesson from this, is we need to do work on our business now. This is a chance for us to work on our business, to set a new foundation for the league’s future.”

Seems pretty clear that the league has come to the realization it can't keep spending more than it's receiving, and that its revenues are likely going to be down not just in 2020 but beyond. So costs will have to come down to survive. That means (among other things) pay cuts for players. I suspect fairly steep pay cuts will be needed, which means some pretty challenging negotiations with the PA. It may also mean going back to the days of small coaching staffs.
    I'm all for smaller coaching staffs, and would not be against 40 man game day rosters. Way too many "packages" on both O and D these days.

To me, if the league really wants to be more successful, they need to do a 50/50 revenue split with the PA as far as salaries go. Salary Cap would be based on previous season's total revenues. The 9 teams then need to equally share on all revenues from their 50%. I get that Saskatchewan might feel they shouldn't have to subsidize Toronto, Montreal and BC, but it is the only way at this time to make the league as a whole strong. They are not going to be making any money if the league was only 6 teams.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm all for smaller coaching staffs, and would not be against 40 man game day rosters. Way too many "packages" on both O and D these days.

To me, if the league really wants to be more successful, they need to do a 50/50 revenue split with the PA as far as salaries go. Salary Cap would be based on previous season's total revenues. The 9 teams then need to equally share on all revenues from their 50%. I get that Saskatchewan might feel they shouldn't have to subsidize Toronto, Montreal and BC, but it is the only way at this time to make the league as a whole strong. They are not going to be making any money if the league was only 6 teams.
    Good points Angelo. Teams probably could go with 40 man rosters. However, the concussion safety issue is so big now. That would be my only concern of cutting back the roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    The challenge with a 50/50 revenue split is overall revenues are not high enough to justufy it.

If league revenues are 250 million which is probably on the high side, divide by 9 teams with a 50% split would make the mid-point in the cap about 13.8 million. Not even the Riders are viable with that.

Until then 20% is more realistic which what the players are getting for increased and new revenue in the current CBA in addition to the flat amount. However once you link the cap to revenues then you have to introduce escrow which I can't see the players wanting any part of.

Agreed smaller rosters and coaching staff may need to be the plan forward. If Halifax happens, that would soften the blow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    The challenge with a 50/50 revenue split is overall revenues are not high enough to justufy it.

If league revenues are 250 million which is probably on the high side, divide by 9 teams with a 50% split would make the mid-point in the cap about 13.8 million. Not even the Riders are viable with that.

Until then 20% is more realistic which what the players are getting for increased and new revenue in the current CBA in addition to the flat amount. However once you link the cap to revenues then you have to introduce escrow which I can't see the players wanting any part of.

Agreed smaller rosters and coaching staff may need to be the plan forward. If Halifax happens, that would soften the blow.
    Understand your point. I probably should have a different percentage, but the idea is the same. My main point is that once the numbers are figured out and agreed upon, the 9 teams (hopefully 10) need to split all revenues evenly.
    It's us vs the rest of the country