Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Hamilton/Burlington hub? Wonder if that means some western cities have backed out.

Now that it's July, we should now be inside a month of knowing whether there will be a season.
    Rod Pederson says he has reliable sources that tell him that it will be Winnipeg should there be a season. I still think they should try for Vancouver as it will allow them to go into December if need be and not have to deal with weather.

For the record, Dave Naylor say's Winnipeg is not a done deal if they play.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-focusing-on-w...play-1.1491782
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I'm totally missing the Argos right now and maybe in a bit of mourning over the very real potential of a missing season. I'm hoping that the silver lining in this is that some fans of both the Argos and the CFL who have taken it for granted for so many years maybe realize what a special league/team it is. If we have to miss a season, my hope is that when it returns there is renewed interest and an increased following.
    For sure some of the old diehards who’ve been too creaky to make the trek to BMO would come back.

As for the rest of the city, I’m sure it would be more “out of sight, out of mind”. It’s kinda like trying to entice people to buy tickets by instituting TV blackouts. If the product is unavailable, people will just move on to something else. At the very least the casual sports fan has seen Argo highlights on the sportscasts for decades. Without even those, and without a Grey Cup, how much further off the radar could the Argonauts and the CFL fall in this town without disappearing into the mists?

Here’s another scenario, not exactly a likely premise but as least as possible as yours. The league runs a 10-game season, and the Argos are sensational, 8-2 and a very exciting style of play. And because of the unique circumstances this year, attendance is off the table as a talking point about the team. There would be no “Argos are good but nobody cares” talk this year, it would just be “Argos are good”.

Maybe a great season without all that baked-in media negativity would help the casual sports fan become more interested for next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to Farhan Lalji:
    Details emerging about @cfl initial proposal to @cflpa about a return to play for 2020. As expected, it includes:
    -Shortened training camp
    -Prorated salaries
    -Reduced time between games
    -Expanded practice rosters

All of this is based on approval from medical authorities a new CBA & goverment $ assistance. League wants an agreement in place by July 23rd. PA says they’re willing to consider CBA changes & extension, but don’t believe 3 weeks is a reasonable time to do that. Would prefer to focus on 2020 getting off the ground first.
    I'm guessing they'll schedule nine games over every two-week segment, which would mean mid-week games. Not ideal, but easier to do with a shorter season and using a hub city.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ricky Ray doesn't think there will be a season for any football league during the rest of this year.

But what Ricky Ray doesn’t see is any professional football games being played this season.
    “Not at the moment, no,” said the former Edmonton Eskimos and Toronto Argonauts great, whose career completion percentage of 68.16 is tops on the list of all-time passers over the 40,000-yard mark in both the CFL and NFL. “We look at how things have gone with the initial shutdown and people staying at home, the numbers definitely started to decrease. And now that we’ve kind of opened back up, you see what’s happening again.
    “You could go ahead and do it, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. I don’t know. It’s a tough question to ask, is it even worth it to bring the guys together and deal with all that stuff to play part of a season? Or just to say, hey, we don’t have a season this year.”
    https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/f...season-469510/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks to Covid-19, the CFL is looking at a six game regular season with 8 teams in the playoffs as a possible option. With all the talent that they have added, surely the Argos could meet this low postseason bar.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm guessing they'll schedule nine games over every two-week segment, which would mean mid-week games. Not ideal, but easier to do with a shorter season and using a hub city.
    While I don't expect the league to be able to play this year, if they do manage it and end up with a six-game season, IMO it would be insane to do it over six weeks rather than seven. For the sake of one less week, the league would end up with an unpalatable schedule.

In a seven-week schedule, every team can play six games and get one bye week. One week would have three games instead of four, with three teams on a bye instead of one.

In a six-week schedule, three teams will get no bye at all (while six others get one, which is incredibly unfair), and three teams will have to play twice in one week (e.g. Wednesday and the following Sunday, on three days' rest, which is incredibly unfair, as Argo fans know). Why put teams through that to end up with one less week of game action? (I assume TSN would also prefer seven weeks of football over six.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    While I don't expect the league to be able to play this year, if they do manage it and end up with a six-game season, IMO it would be insane to do it over six weeks rather than seven. For the sake of one less week, the league would end up with an unpalatable schedule.

In a seven-week schedule, every team can play six games and get one bye week. One week would have three games instead of four, with three teams on a bye instead of one.

In a six-week schedule, three teams will get no bye at all (while six others get one, which is incredibly unfair), and three teams will have to play twice in one week (e.g. Wednesday and the following Sunday, on three days' rest, which is incredibly unfair, as Argo fans know). Why put teams through that to end up with one less week of game action? (I assume TSN would also prefer seven weeks of football over six.)
    I agree, but I think Argolio's scenario was prior to knowledge of a possible 6 game schedule. With an 8 game schedule in Winnipeg starting perhaps in mid September, Argolio's scenario makes sense. You can't go into December in the prairies.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree, but I think Argolio's scenario was prior to knowledge of a possible 6 game schedule. With an 8 game schedule in Winnipeg starting perhaps in mid September, Argolio's scenario makes sense. You can't go into December in the prairies.
    Eight-game schedule can be done in nine weeks with everyone getting one bye week -- playing nine games every two weeks would again save only one week vs. the usual four games per week. If they started the weekend of Sept. 17-20, the Grey Cup would be played Dec. 6, which shouldn't be a significant barrier, weather-wise. 1991 GC was played in minus-30 on Nov. 24. Besides, Argos will be hosting the Grey Cup if this season gets played.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    At this point, I'll take any schedule.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Eight-game schedule can be done in nine weeks with everyone getting one bye week -- playing nine games every two weeks would again save only one week vs. the usual four games per week. If they started the weekend of Sept. 17-20, the Grey Cup would be played Dec. 6, which shouldn't be a significant barrier, weather-wise. 1991 GC was played in minus-30 on Nov. 24. Besides, Argos will be hosting the Grey Cup if this season gets played.
    Assuming of course the Grey Cup would be somewhere other than the hub city.

It's too bad if they do have a season and choose Winnipeg as the hub. Hamilton which has so many Universities within an hour drive, to me would be a better choice.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This might be the year to reintroduce a two game series for the playoffs. Keep it interesting

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My thinking about eliminating byes was that they'd be pressed for time to get in as many games as possible. No doubt they're considering multiple scheduling options.

I'm not sure the league has an appetite for an outdoor December Grey Cup. On the other hand, the NHL will likely not start its 20-21 season until January, which would give the CFL some extra exposure in November and December.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    My thinking about eliminating byes was that they'd be pressed for time to get in as many games as possible. No doubt they're considering multiple scheduling options.
    Got it, and no doubt that has entered their thinking. But I hope they come to the conclusion that jeopardizing player safety (and competitive balance) by making some (but not all) teams play two games in a week, three games in two weeks, etc., is not worth it for the sake of saving ONE WEEK of schedule. Unless things get really nuts, with everyone playing multiple games every week, that's all that would be saved. And as I noted above, wouldn't TSN prefer an extra week of games, given the choice?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Got it, and no doubt that has entered their thinking. But I hope they come to the conclusion that jeopardizing player safety (and competitive balance) by making some (but not all) teams play two games in a week, three games in two weeks, etc., is not worth it for the sake of saving ONE WEEK of schedule. Unless things get really nuts, with everyone playing multiple games every week, that's all that would be saved. And as I noted above, wouldn't TSN prefer an extra week of games, given the choice?
    Maybe they can arrange to play the Grey Cup in BC or Montreal should they have to play into December.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Maybe they can arrange to play the Grey Cup in BC or Montreal should they have to play into December.
    Or play the entire season in BC to take the winter weather out of the equation, could start and end the season later.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or play the entire season in BC to take the winter weather out of the equation, could start and end the season later.
    Vancouver pulled itself out of the running to be an NHL hub city, apparently due to objections by the provincial health ministry. That could rule out the CFL going there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think weather is a major factor in this. Players can play in cold conditions, and it will be surprising if fans are in the stands. And cold weather can come at any time on the Prairies after Labour Day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL submits revised financial request.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-submits-finan...ment-1.1494145

Funds if approved to cover player and operation costs. Owners will cover other expenses including losses. Ask will be about 42.5 million.

This request is also endorsed by the PA as instructed to earlier by the finance committee.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    USports decided to not extend the eligibility of 24 year old football players for a year, despite their missing the 2020 season due to the Covid-19 cancellation of the 2020 season. Twenty-five year olds have not been allowed to play for at least the last two years. An estimated 300 players will be affected by this ruling, according to Arash Madani. It also will affect the recruitment of Canadian players into the CFL over the next couple of years as the lack of recent experience will reduce all USports college players development and mean that 24 year olds won't have any chance for further development of their skills in college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    USports decided to not extend the eligibility of 24 year old football players for a year, despite their missing the 2020 season due to the Covid-19 cancellation of the 2020 season. Twenty-five year olds have not been allowed to play for at least the last two years. An estimated 300 players will be affected by this ruling, according to Arash Madani. It also will affect the recruitment of Canadian players into the CFL over the next couple of years as the lack of recent experience will reduce all USports college players development and mean that 24 year olds won't have any chance for further development of their skills in college.
    I've never liked the thoughts of University players playing into their mid 20's, but feel a one time exception should be made for seniors this time around. I've never liked the fact that Canada west and Quebec especially have a lot of older players playing in their leagues. To me, playing Junior or CGEP should take away from some of their years of eligibility. It would also make evaluating players for possible pro careers more accurate.