Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I've moved from thinking we would be lucky to have a season starting at Labour Day to feeling we are not going to have one at all. Even when this thing reaches that point where it can be said to be "contained," there are still going to be individuals who are susceptible to it. For life to resume as "normal," basically everyone has to be immune, which means either having contracted it and survived or having been immunized. Vaccine is reportedly 12-18 months away, maybe that will be accelerated because of the urgency and the flow of more research money. I see no scenario in which large crowds can gather as early as late summer, or where individuals can sweat all over each other in front of a TV audience.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The South Korean basketball league is about to resume play and was only shut down for four weeks. It’s amazing to see how the East handled the pandemic, while the West is lagging behind greatly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The South Korean basketball league is about to resume play and was only shut down for four weeks. It’s amazing to see how the East handled the pandemic, while the West is lagging behind greatly.
    When a particular Western leader was saying not that long ago that this virus would magically disappear in a few weeks and instead spent most his time talking up the stock market, it's not that amazing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The reality is the season will most likely be canceled. In Canada, even if the politicians got ahead of this(which I don't think they did), we're months before this settles down. All indications are the US is going to be a sh!t show. Experts think it will run down there until the end of the year(Nov, Dec). So US players most likely will not be able to travel to Canada. Watching the numbers, I think the US will finish well ahead of China with the most cases and deaths. Just check out Florida!

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    The reality is the season will most likely be canceled. In Canada, even if the politicians got ahead of this(which I don't think they did), we're months before this settles down. All indications are the US is going to be a sh!t show. Experts think it will run down there until the end of the year(Nov, Dec). So US players most likely will not be able to travel to Canada. Watching the numbers, I think the US will finish well ahead of China with the most cases and deaths. Just check out Florida!
    If you actually trust China’s numbers

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I've moved from thinking we would be lucky to have a season starting at Labour Day to feeling we are not going to have one at all. Even when this thing reaches that point where it can be said to be "contained," there are still going to be individuals who are susceptible to it. For life to resume as "normal," basically everyone has to be immune, which means either having contracted it and survived or having been immunized. Vaccine is reportedly 12-18 months away, maybe that will be accelerated because of the urgency and the flow of more research money. I see no scenario in which large crowds can gather as early as late summer, or where individuals can sweat all over each other in front of a TV audience.
    Even if the CFL does start up in late summer because virus cases have virtually disappeared, there is the danger of the virus coming back as the weather cools as happened in the 1918-19 pandemic, which hit in three waves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    More signs that sports events won't be starting any time soon:

Australia and Canada are poised to withdraw from the Tokyo Olympics if the 2020 Games are not postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic. ...

IOC president Thomas Bach said the Olympics will not be cancelled, leaving a shift to Tokyo 2021 the most likely scenario.

Australia and Canada combined to strike the first blow towards that move on Monday, effectively leaving the IOC with no choice but to make their plans official in the coming days.

https://7news.com.au/sport/olympics/...-2020-c-758144

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I`m not expecting a season, and if there happens to be one, I will be surprised and thrilled.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I`m not expecting a season, and if there happens to be one, I will be surprised and thrilled.
    As each day passes and things continually develop I sadly think that this may very well be the case Angelo.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    As each day passes and things continually develop I sadly think that this may very well be the case Angelo.
    As we stay in our homes (not me, I work construction), we all want to stay positive as much as possible. It’s hard not to accept the truth. Look at any of the readily available charts. This thing has to be completely over. Unless we are playing in empty stadiums, summer is over, for everything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I am pretty sure that I have COVID-19 but I can't get tested because I don't fit the extremely tight guidelines for getting a test even though I am over 70. I know the difference in the pattern of symptoms associated with the flu and COVID-19 and my symptoms are those of the latter. However, I didn't even suspect this when I started this thread. I live next door to an emergency room doctor in Metro Vancouver who tells me the hospital is in "chaos" that they don't have enough swabs - they only test those who are admitted to the hospital because they are in danger of dying.

Meanwhile the Olympics have officially been cancelled and rescheduled for 2021, but Trump is proposing to have the American economy going full blast by Easter (April 12th). Even Liz Cheney, a right wing super-hawk Congresswoman and daughter of former VP Dick Cheney says this would be a medical and economic disaster because of the deaths that would result.

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas, Dan Patrick, who is Texas chairman of Trump's campaign, says that seniors should be willing to die to save the economy. If this attitude prevails in the US, the spread of the virus cannot but impact Canada because of our 5,000 km border with the US and the necessary food and other supplies that will continue to cross that border. Here is a quote of what Dan Patrick said from the New York Times.

Mr. Patrick, the Texas chairman of the president’s campaign, appeared on Fox News on Monday and said that he was not only ready for the country and the economy to get moving again amid the coronavirus pandemic, but also that he and other grandparents might be willing to die for that to happen.

“My message is that let’s get back to work,” Mr. Patrick, 69, said on “
    Tucker Carlson Tonight.” “Let’s get back to living. Let’s be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we’ll take care of ourselves, but don’t sacrifice the country.”

He added: “I’m not living in fear of Covid-19. What I’m living in fear of is what’s happening to this country. And you know Tucker, no one reached out to me and said, ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival, in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’ And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/u...ck-abbott.html
    Last edited by jerrym; 03-24-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Get well soon Jerry. The Argo family is with you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    Get well soon Jerry. The Argo family is with you.
    Absolutely. Keep fighting, Jerry.

And that Texas guy is an idiot. A public health emergency and saving lives must take priority over the economy. The stock market will come back whenever this is behind us.

Trump is crazy if he thinks April 12th is doable. He's in way over his head.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Hang in there, Jerry. Even for those of us in the "vulnerable" age group, recovery is possible. I'm sure you are following the advice of rest, fluids, etc. I don't know if any medical professionals have also advised ignoring all the garbage spewing from the mouth of DJT, but I think doing so is helpful even when fully healthy.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    If and when we flatten the curve, we have to keep it there until a vaccine is developed right?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If and when we flatten the curve, we have to keep it there until a vaccine is developed right?
    Realistically, yes. All we are doing is preventing the mass spread, but not necessarily solving the problem. That’s why this is going to take so long. We are not going to start filling stadiums or have players breathe on each other once this calms down. They shut down all sports due to 1 confirmed case. Imagine if they did that with the flu?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Get well Jerry!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Realistically, yes. All we are doing is preventing the mass spread, but not necessarily solving the problem. That’s why this is going to take so long. We are not going to start filling stadiums or have players breathe on each other once this calms down. They shut down all sports due to 1 confirmed case. Imagine if they did that with the flu?
    I suppose the only thing one can hope for is that somehow the belief that the summer may possibly slow the virus comes to fruition.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, Jerry. Keep well, we are all thinking of you.

Regarding the Global experiment ---perhaps it would be a good idea to suspend it, until next season. If the IOC can postpone something as massive as the Olympics, there should be little difficulty postponing our Global initiative. With all the international travel involved, it is better to be safe than sorry. Just an idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I suppose the only thing one can hope for is that somehow the belief that the summer may possibly slow the virus comes to fruition.
    May slow it, but the experts also believe further waves will come later. Basically until everyone has either been exposed to it (and thus developed immunity) or a vaccine is being administered widely, the risk of contagion will continue. That's why this state of affairs is either going to continue for months, or people are going to be widely exposed (with many resulting deaths).