Reply to Thread
    Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Toronto the good...

"Murph" picked a helluva a time to move to Toronto.

Here's the story from Argonauts.ca

Enjoy "Ricky Ray Night" on TSN Friday! The 2012 and 2017 Grey Cup games back to back starting at 7:30.

That's my kind of Friday Night Football!

I hope you and your family and friends are all doing well through this remarkably tough time. Stay safe.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/04/15/hogan-toronto-open-arms-crisis/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    "Murph" picked a helluva a time to move to Toronto.

Here's the story from Argonauts.ca

Enjoy "Ricky Ray Night" on TSN Friday! The 2012 and 2017 Grey Cup games back to back starting at 7:30.

That's my kind of Friday Night Football!

I hope you and your family and friends are all doing well through this remarkably tough time. Stay safe.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/04/15/hogan-toronto-open-arms-crisis/

Looking forward to watching these games again, a welcomed break from what is going on right now.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

New Fan
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Very much looking forward to watching the Grey Cup doubleheaders on Friday. Both these teams seemed to come out of nowhere, which made the wins even more sweet. Will have to get the jersey out and make it feel like a real game night!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    looking forward to watching these.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Watched the 2017 game a couple weeks ago on You Tube....that Cassius Vaughn fumble return for a TD still sends tingles up my spine. One of the top plays in Toronto sports history...screw the “Bat Flip”.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Watched the 2017 game a couple weeks ago on You Tube....that Cassius Vaughn fumble return for a TD still sends tingles up my spine. One of the top plays in Toronto sports history...screw the “Bat Flip”.
    I watch on YouTube as well, lifts my spirits👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

New Fan
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

Fond Memories

I have very fond memories of the 2017 game. The start was inauspicious enough. I had a granola bar which had frozen over the course of the tailgate and when I took a bite I managed to break off a piece of one of my teeth. Plus, we were crammed into the bleachers, freezing our arsess off, the driving snow melting as soon as it hit the aluminum. By the fourth quarter though, the sky had cleared and the crowd had thinned. I remember one young lady saying "screw this, we're heading to the Lafayette". A lesser fan may have followed along but no, we hung in there. My buddy Gary, undaunted, was still double palming the tallboys and occasionally someone would turn around and look at the guy who was becoming increasingly incoherent. As the Stamps looked poised to score, I consoled myself by rationalizing that we had done well to get here and it had been a great 4 days in Ottawa.

Alas, the football gods and Cleon Laing conspired to knock the ball loose and lo and behold if Cassius Vaughn didn't run it all of the way back. Suddenly, I could make out from Gary's mumblings "were gonna win this effing game". Under Ricky Ray's steady hand we took the lead, and while there was still a bit of dread at the end Black made that interception to seal the win. Holy shit, is this actually happening? We hung around for the ceremony and connected with our friends Phil and Jenn, whom, along with my old buddies Pat and John, joined us as we found our own way to the Lafayette Hotel in the Market. Sadly, we misplaced Gary along the way, but that's a whole nother story. We met some new Argo friends, Dino and Mike, and with the help of a few beers ad numerous shots of Jamesons (Jenn's idea), had one of the most memorable nights of my life!

New Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Great times!

So fun Scott! Remember it very well. What a perfect setting of Canadiana off the Rideau with the snow and the amazing Ricky Ray. Capped with an unforgettable improbable Argo Grey Cup Win. Jameson’s never tasted so sweet!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was at both games. I was in endzone when Rickey tossed that pass to Posey. Might be my favorite ARRgo play of all time. Good times and great memories.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level

Fond Memories 2

The 2012 game comes with lots of memories. Throwing my Rocket Ismail football around the endzone at Varsity prior to the fan parade. The street preacher saying Michael Clemons was not a real Christian, I told him to f-off. Gary held the Cup and Pat got his ticket signed by Russ Jackson. At Old City Hall a guy gave me the flag I eventually took post game to Jack Astors where everybody was in the spirit of things including the barmaid who had had two Argos shields drawn on her bosom! I remember seeing ST neighbours (now good friends) Phil and Jenn on the way out of Skydomeand Gary blowing my vuvuzuela(a CNE horn to us boomers) right in front of one of Toronto's finest (my buddy John was relieved they didn't arrest us) and smoking a celebratory joint just outside the Strathcona Hotel. On the day of the parade I took my trusty flag downtown and Dictator allowed me be to the Argonotes colour guard for the last portion of the march up Yonge.

But my best story is at the game Gary was chatting with the folks behind us about memories from his youth and how he cried (he would have been 12) when McQuay fumbled on the I yard line as he was about to score the late go ahead touchdown against the Stamps (those guys again) in 71 and how gratifying it was that the Argos were now poised to win the 100th game. It was such a great story I stole it from him and repeated it to Toronto Star reporter Daniel Girard at the Grey Cup Party at City Hall. A few days later on October 28th in the Argos special section he wrote: "the Argos once reduced Scott Harding to tears. It was 1971 and the then 11 year old cried after Leon McQuay slipped, fell and fumbled on the slick turf of Vancouver's Empire Satdium, the most memorable play in a loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the 59th Grey Cup". It was my 15 minutes of fame, thanks again Gary

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level

Memories of 71 Argos

My friend Gary writes:

I still cry when I see that play or that game. Think I went to every home game that year until I moved to Georgetown in October 71. Used to ride bikes down and watch through the end zone fence. Most of the time we would somehow get in at halftime. Guys pissing in the washroom would sometimes pass their ticket stub to us through the windows over the urinals. We would go in and walk around since we couldn't sit. One day an older couple gave us their seats right behind the Argo bench against Calgary same year. Argos won that one. We couldn't believe we were so close.
    Also bought my first ticket that year against Sask. After the game we went onto the field where I slapped Ron Lancaster's left shoulder pad and told him good game. Riders had lost, he didn't look too happy. Same game we waited around after on the field throwing a football with Dick Shatto in his CTV blazer and dress shoes. Those were the days. Then Leon McQuay came out afterwards smoking a Rothmans. We asked for an autograph but he said "Sorry guys I got things to tend to" and then walked away with two gorgeous blondes. Things to tend to.He didn't want to fumble the opportunity. Another Leon McQuay story.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Harding 77 View Post
    On the day of the parade I took my trusty flag downtown and Dictator allowed me be to the Argonotes colour guard for the last portion of the march up Yonge.
    Thanks for the assist! That Fan Parade was one of my great memories too. And I recall thinking "Mark Cohon's new tradition of the fans bringing the Cup to the game is AWESOME and will surely last for a thousand years."

I think it lasted about two years. Shame it still doesn't happen.
    Faster + Louder = Better

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    You're welcome. We miss you guys, especially the Argos Fight Song after the game (despite the fact both my kids were in the Burlington Teen Tour Band), its not the same without you.

For a season or two BTTB played at Ticat games. I always volunteered to chaperone those gigs and càtch the game for FREE.

The fan parade was great, seeing the Grey Cup attendees in all their team swag at one spot was a blast. It's a mystery they didn't continue, logistics perhaps?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Grey Cup Fan March lasted 4 years. For some reason the 2016 Grey Cup in Toronto didn’t include it. Maybe logistics have to do with BMO Field. In 2012, City Hall to SkyDome was the perfect length and locations.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin