Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Zac Henderson passes away

Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Zac Henderson was recently ranked #21 of Oklahoma Sooners all-time best players. Just beat out #22 former Argos great Granville Liggins.
    It was reported that Zac Henderson passed away today at the age of 64.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sad to hear.

RIP

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Listen to the ovation Zac gets at 3:33. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-5Z...ToFftc_jlyhcvQ

The reason this video is available for us all to watch is because Zac was a true gentleman. I interviewed him by phone for my book about the 1981-83 Argos. During our interview he mentioned that he had a VHS copy of the 1982 Eastern Final that his dad had taped off ESPN. I had been at that pivotal game but had never seen the broadcast. Zac was kind enough to mail me the tape -- I converted it to digital and sent him back a DVD. It was tremendous to see it again and remember how the stadium went ballistic when he was introduced as the East Division's most outstanding player on defence.

(Mods: Maybe change thread to correct spelling to Zac?)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sorry to hear of Zac's passing. Those were the glory days of the CFL IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Listen to the ovation Zac gets at 3:33. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-5Z...ToFftc_jlyhcvQ

The reason this video is available for us all to watch is because Zac was a true gentleman. I interviewed him by phone for my book about the 1981-83 Argos. During our interview he mentioned that he had a VHS copy of the 1982 Eastern Final that his dad had taped off ESPN. I had been at that pivotal game but had never seen the broadcast. Zac was kind enough to mail me the tape -- I converted it to digital and sent him back a DVD. It was tremendous to see it again and remember how the stadium went ballistic when he was introduced as the East Division's most outstanding player on defence.

(Mods: Maybe change thread to correct spelling to Zac?)
    Other names in those introductions have left us as well. Zac joins Jo Jo Heath, ex Argo Billy Hardee and Earl “Bubba” Wilson. Hard to believe that crucial game in Argo history was almost 40 years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Other names in those introductions have left us as well. Zac joins Jo Jo Heath, ex Argo Billy Hardee and Earl “Bubba” Wilson. Hard to believe that crucial game in Argo history was almost 40 years ago.
    Absolutely loved those Argonaut teams of that era, Henderson during his very brief stint in Toronto was a brilliant intimidating presence in the Argonauts defensive backfield.
    News like this drives home the fact that life is short, enjoy it as best you can and yes Dean it is hard to believe it was almost 40 years ago.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    RIP Zac; interesting pro football journey he had - first with the Ticats, then down to the Eagles in the NFL, and then back up to the CFL with the Argos (did not play before that in 81 - injured?) and then on to the USFL.

Thanks for that link to the 82 East Final Paul - my memories of those Argo/CFL days are hazy or iffy for some reason, but i remember so many names - Argo D introduced, and it was a pretty good one, including 3 starting Canadians - Leon L at DT, Berryman at OLB and CFL vet Merv Walker (Toronto guy out of Bramalea in Junior ball?) who played at D-half. Fullback Bob Bronk's rookie season too - back in the day when CFL offences would feed a big fullback the ball - often more on screen passes and let him truck LBs & DBs - loved that, too bad it so little used in current CFL standard offence.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Sad state of affairs when the only people in Toronto who even remember what a great player he was are on this message board, and a few sports media types. I remember TTC streetcars with BIG ZAC ATTACK signs hanging from them. I also remember the riot it almost caused when they briefly had to take him out of the lineup due to ratio issues.

New Fan
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

Obituary

Kudos to the Globe and Mail for printing his obituary in today's edition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoheath View Post
    Sad state of affairs when the only people in Toronto who even remember what a great player he was are on this message board, and a few sports media types. I remember TTC streetcars with BIG ZAC ATTACK signs hanging from them. I also remember the riot it almost caused when they briefly had to take him out of the lineup due to ratio issues.
    First time I can remember hearing about a ratio controversy. Lots of Argo fans back then were angry when he was replaced by Ken McEachern.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    First time I can remember hearing about a ratio controversy. Lots of Argo fans back then were angry when he was replaced by Ken McEachern.
    Wayne Parrish who was with the Toronto Star Newspaper at the time wrote a scathing article about Zac being let go.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    That was it. Tough to start an American Safety in those days. McEachern was a non-import I believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoheath View Post
    That was it. Tough to start an American Safety in those days. McEachern was a non-import I believe.
    Marv Luster - import -was an Argo safety for a long time before those days, so no. McEachern was a very good D-backfielder; arguably better than Henderson (who was a big hitter from safety).

The Argos went on a run of acquiring (short term), a bunch of all-star Canadian safeties back in the 80s - McEachern (been a CFL all-star with Sask.) in 83; re-acquired Paul Bennett (CFL all-star with the Bombers) in 84; Rick Ryan (had been an East all-star with the Als) in 87; and Laurent Deslauriers (CFL all-star with the Esks) in 88. Too bad they couldn't have kept any of those guys as several year fixtures on D or developed a very good safety on their own (Zac was originally with the Ticats in the CFL).
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-23-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Marv Luster - import -was an Argo safety for a long time before those days, so no. McEachern was a very good D-backfielder; arguably better than Henderson (who was a big hitter from safety).

The Argos went on a run of acquiring (short term), a bunch of all-star Canadian safeties back in the 80s - McEachern (been a CFL all-star with Sask.) in 83; re-acquired Paul Bennett (CFL all-star with the Bombers) in 84; Rick Ryan (had been an East all-star with the Als) in 87; and Laurent Deslauriers (CFL all-star with the Esks) in 88. Too bad they couldn't have kept any of those guys as several year fixtures on D or developed a very good safety on their own (Zac was originally with the Ticats in the CFL).
    Paul Bennett was a shell of his former self when he returned to the Argonauts.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Paul Bennett was a shell of his former self when he returned to the Argonauts.

Really ? - yet the next season with the Ticats, Bennett had 12 INTs (best season total of his career) and was named CFL all-star and top Canadian in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Really ? - yet the next season with the Ticats, Bennett had 12 INTs (best season total of his career) and was named CFL all-star and top Canadian in the league.
    Yes really, I’m talking about his performance with Toronto in 1984, subpar from his performance while in Winnipeg.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My memory has faded but as a life long ARRgo fan, Zac Henderson is a name I will not forget. I vaguely remeber any ball tossed in Zac's direction almost always was a complete train wreak for the other team. Hope its OK to say on this site but he seemed semi similar to a player like Chip Cox ( times 5 ). Zac would be on my all time ARRgo team. Rest In Peace Zac.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Yes really, I’m talking about his performance with Toronto in 1984, subpar from his performance while in Winnipeg.
    Maybe; i don't recall that, but as i have said many times, my memories of a lot of those Argo days are pretty hazy or iffy - though guaranteed i watched pretty well all of those games on TV.

Point is - Bennett still was able to play at CFL best level the very next season = he was hardly washed up; so maybe he was nicked playing for the Argos in 84 or else not a good fit for the type of D they ran that season ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe; i don't recall that, but as i have said many times, my memories of a lot of those Argo days are pretty hazy or iffy - though guaranteed i watched pretty well all of those games on TV.

Point is - Bennett still was able to play at CFL best level the very next season = he was hardly washed up; so maybe he was nicked playing for the Argos in 84 or else not a good fit for the type of D they ran that season ?
    Quite possible, just as your memory is foggy in regards to the Argos I also forgot the fact Bennett played well in Hamilton the next season.
    You are correct in the fact it sometimes comes down to having your talents fitting into a defensive system.
    Sucks getting older buddy, sometime we forget things but in fairness it was 35+ years ago.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quite the contrast when you look at the starting defense from the 1982 Grey Cup vs. 1983 Grey Cup. This is assuming that the Toronto Star depth chart they always used to do the day of the Grey Cup is accurate, but I count only three (Rick Mohr, Bubba Wilson and Darrell Wilson) who carried over to the next year.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022