Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Here's a look at the performance of NCAA Canadians in week 14 where MLB Amen Ogbongbemiga led all LBs in rankings and might be too small to stick in the NFL.

https://3downnation.com/2020/12/08/i...ur-in-week-14/
    That's a very common fallacy with certain players getting labelled as too small for the allmighty NFL - used often to write-off ex-CFLers chances in the NFL or to cast doubt on Canadian football players in general.

Ogbongbemiga is listed at 6-1, 235 on the Oak State roster and that is NOT too small to play LB in the NFL as there are and have been dozens of examples of star NFL LBs in that size range or smaller, over the years; and Cory Greenwood & Henoc Muamba are fairly recent examples of Canadian LBs in that size range who did play in the NFL. Alex Singleton dominating the Eagles D in stats now since he took over at MLB for them this season- surprised nobody has said he couldn't possibly start in the NFL - too small and inferior, coming from the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That's a very common fallacy with certain players getting labelled as too small for the allmighty NFL - used often to write-off ex-CFLers chances in the NFL or to cast doubt on Canadian football players in general.

Ogbongbemiga is listed at 6-1, 235 on the Oak State roster and that is NOT too small to play LB in the NFL as there are and have been dozens of examples of star NFL LBs in that size range or smaller, over the years; and Cory Greenwood & Henoc Muamba are fairly recent examples of Canadian LBs in that size range who did play in the NFL. Alex Singleton dominating the Eagles D in stats now since he took over at MLB for them this season- surprised nobody has said he couldn't possibly start in the NFL - too small and inferior, coming from the CFL.
    I would guess Amen O is closer to 6'0 225 from what I've seen of him. Been watching him for three years. IMO he will probably be signed as a FA in the NFL and may get some time there on the PR or spot duty as a ST guy on a roster. So I would take him early and wait for him to shake loose in a couple years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Amen Ogbongbemiga has declared for both the CFL and NFL drafts.

Ogbongbemiga was excellent at middle linebacker, finishing his senior season with 80 total tackles, five tackles for loss, three forced fumbles, three quarterback hits, 2.5 sacks, and two fumbles recoveries in 11 games. ...

Ogbongbemiga enjoyed a breakout 2019 season as the Cowboys defensive captain. The Notre Dame High School product recorded 100 total tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, intercepted one pass, forced one fumble and recovered another. He set a career-high with 12 tackles against Texas A&M University in the Texas Bowl and added a sack and a fumble recovery.

The six-foot-one, 231-pound tackler was the recipient of OSU’s Leslie O’Neal Award as OK State’s Defensive MVP as a junior. He has developed into a sideline-to-sideline linebacker with outstanding quickness and speed plus the ability to pursue in the open field.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/01/09/c...fl-cfl-drafts/

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Yes, it's silly to do a mock draft this early, but John Hodge has given us something to think about. I don't know any of the players, but I think he's right that we'll prioritize defensive guys since we're pretty stacked at OL and WR.

Having said that, I'd be happy if we could pick up WR Will Corby as our "regional" pick. Hmm. Are they doing regional picks this year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Yes, it's silly to do a mock draft this early, but John Hodge has given us something to think about. I don't know any of the players, but I think he's right that we'll prioritize defensive guys since we're pretty stacked at OL and WR.

Having said that, I'd be happy if we could pick up WR Will Corby as our "regional" pick. Hmm. Are they doing regional picks this year?

Very early for a mock draft and especially so when we don't even know who's available yet (which U Sports guys are in; who is eligible from NCAA ball ?) - maybe Hodge has some sort of availability list though ?

But love to see the Argos get safety Alonzo Addae as Hodge is predicting; but i think he will go much higher.

Pretty sure i read Regional picks are out this draft Wobbler; and the draft will be one round less ? Still need to know who is available - CFL should publish a list up-coming ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Six rounds, and no territorial picks this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

That's a pretty good mock draft for this early by John Hodge IMO. I haven't heard or seen who all has opted out in USports yet. Also are teams going to draft 4th year Juniors from the NCAA this year. That could change things for me especially in the 2nd round. Would be a chance to draft a high end Junior as a future.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Pretty sure i read Regional picks are out this draft Wobbler; and the draft will be one round less ?
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Six rounds, and no territorial picks this year.
    Thanks to you both!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    i saw the double blue uniform picture and thought quickly it must be an Argo only to realize it was a Maine University but of a Canadian future CFL prospect and has now signed with Texas State. From his player description it looks like OL Liam Dobson would look good in double blue north of the border too. He's already ranked #7 on the Winter CFL Scouting Bureau list. It looks like he won't be available this year and could well end up in the NFL, but I think he would be a good catch in the future for the Argos.

Offensive lineman Liam Dobson has been a prospect that many fans north of the border have been looking forward to seeing as a professional for years. The Ottawa, Ont., native has spent the first three years of his collegiate career with the University of Maine, however, he and his teammates were forced to watch from the sidelines.

The FCS cancelled games for the fall seasons, and while they will be holding games in the spring, Dobson decided that it would be in his best interest to enter the transfer portal and try to push for a chance to play FBS football.
    “I have one more year of eligibility and the FCS is starting to play games in the spring, and with the draft and everything happening, I figured I didn’t want to play too close to that,” Dobson said. “So I decided to transfer and play my last year of eligibility at an FBS program and just try to prove myself again. ...

Dobson officially entered the transfer portal back in December, and after reportedly considering a handful of teams, he landed with Texas State. The Bobcats play out of the Sun Belt Conference, giving Dobson an excellent chance to play against top-flight pass rushers before making the jump to the pro ranks. But it was a conversation with fellow Ottawa native Samuel Obiang that ultimately swayed him to join the team....

Dobson is an intimidating presence out on the edge, standing at 6-foot-3, 340 pounds, but he’s got scary athleticism for someone with his frame. He owns a 29-inch vertical and has the ability to dunk a basketball. He played both guard and tackle while with Maine, starting 27 of the 30 career games he suited up for with the Black Bears. Dobson has been called a mauler on the offensive line and is someone who can drive a defender to the ground once he engages with them.

Now, Dobson looks poised to be one of the next Ottawa natives to make a splash in the pro ranks. He currently sits as the seventh-ranked prospect on the CFL’s Winter Scouting Bureau rankings and is the second-ranked offensive lineman.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/24/dobson...ted-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    i saw the double blue uniform picture and thought quickly it must be an Argo only to realize it was a Maine University but of a Canadian future CFL prospect and has now signed with Texas State. From his player description it looks like OL Liam Dobson would look good in double blue north of the border too. He's already ranked #7 on the Winter CFL Scouting Bureau list. It looks like he won't be available this year and could well end up in the NFL, but I think he would be a good catch in the future for the Argos.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/24/dobson...ted-cfl-draft/

At first glance Maine uniforms do look like some of the Argo ones over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if Dobson goes higher than where he is slotted at #7. Hubbard, Jackson, Holland and Palmer could drop because of their NFL status. I can see the Argos drafting a DE or DB. DE Daniel Joseph ? or CB Alonzo Addae ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Have to love those Black Bears unis. My new fave college team.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson looks at the problems created by Covid for the 2021 CFL draft below.

All of that made covering the 2020 CFL draft tough, but in comparison to this year, 2020 feels like information overload. Game tape for U SPORTS players and NCAA seasons that weren’t completely affected in scheduling, practice consistency, team chemistry development and week-to-week player availability? Easy. The combine conundrum of 2021 is — like most everything these days — the strangest, most challenging situation we’ll ever cross in attempting to understand how to value players in the draft.

I already knew evaluation would be less consistent and more difficult to apply usual context to going into this month, a thought confirmed further by one CFL executive this week. “This one is going be real tough on the media, they generally know way less than we do, even harder now with all these futures and no U SPORTS season,” he said. “Projecting kids with third-year tape is so difficult, made tougher with no combine to see how they’ve been developing physically. Guys usually take a massive jump from year three to four.” ...

Watch Tunde Adeleke or Kwaku Boateng, Vincent Desjardins or Ryan Sceviour from year three to year four and there is a typically a noticeable difference in approach and physical maturity brought on by young men realizing what needs to be accomplished to be known as a ‘pro football player.’

This year we don’t get the drool inducing one-on-one matchups in pads in front of every CFL evaluator, standardized testing metrics or universally verified measurements. The tools and tricks used to gather information are entirely different, right down to player interviews, which will be conducted virtually. That’s a far less intimidating enterprise — unless your wifi is questionable — than entering a room full of football judges who can decide your near future on the assessment of every answer. We’re close, the light at the end of the tunnel appears more clear each day but the final hurdle of nonexistent normality could shape the CFL’s Canadian talent for years to come and will happen with less information than ever.

Best to dig into the 2020 game tape, if any exists.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/12/fergus...es-challenges/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL Combine lists revealed on the CFL site.

We get a look at the U Sports guys who have declared for the 2021 draft (info before said 130+ players had opted out) - looks like a bunch of the top U Sports prospects are going to be available. But still going to be an NCAA Canuck heavy draft probably, including some guys who will still play another season down there

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

I see the Argos are picking 3rd in the Global draft so hopefully they can pick someone who can actually get on the field this year. There should be a few possibilities with some Div I NCAA starters available.
    IMO scouting all these Global players this year just might be the toughest job the scouting department has ever had.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an article on five NCAA players worth following during the CFL, Combine.

Bruno Labelle, TE, Cincinnati Labelle has spent his entire collegiate career as a member of the Bearcats, playing in a special teams role and working his way into the offence more in 2020 with the two tight-end set the team ran. Across 46 career games, he has 20 receptions for 150 yards and a pair of touchdowns. “Listed at 6’4, 248 pounds Bruno Labelle is a mountain of a CFL prospect,” CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson said. “While his natural fit is more likely a true inline tight end for a team down south, if the fit exists for a run focused team like Saskatchewan or Winnipeg, Labelle could use his unique size to become a top-20 pick.”

Labelle could be a very nice piece for a CFL team. The Montreal, Que., native has a similar build to Nikola Kalinic, who has a tight-end-like role with York before converting to a full back with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Sage Doxtater, OL, New Mexico State
    Offensive line will, as usual, be the position to watch, as every team is looking to strengthen their talent in the trenches — especially when it comes to National players and the ratio. Doxtater is one of the best blockers available in this year’s class. The New Mexico State product has been a starter for the Aggies, being named to the Sun Belt Conference All-Newcomer Team as a freshman in 2016.“One of the few true tackle prospects in the 2021 CFL draft, Doxtater won’t wow in the quickness or movement drills but his size and NCAA experience will fit a need for someone with a top-30 pick,” Ferguson said.

The eighth-ranked prospect in the latest edition of the CFL Scouting Bureau, Doxtater won’t likely have to wait long to hear his named called this year, and a solid virtual combine would cement his place at the top of the board.

Matthew Derks, OL, Delaware State
    Derks has featured on the offensive line of the Hornets since his first year with the program. He saw playing time as a true freshman and his role has continued to grow from there. Over the previous two seasons at the school, Derks has helped the program finish top five in their conference in yards.
    “Hailing from Brantford, Ontario Derks made his way to FCS Delaware State where he plied his craft as an offensive guard,” Ferguson said. “At 6-foot-3, 315 pounds, Derks size is standard, but his athleticism could push his2021 draft stock down. Nothing a standout performance at the virtual combine can’t disprove.”...

Chris Fournier, OL, Lehigh Another FCS standout, Fournier, an Orleans, Ont., native, has been a stalwart for the Mountain Hawks during his time there. He currently sits at 22 consecutive starts for the program, “Currently in the NCAA’s transfer portal, there is a chance Fournier will transfer from Lehigh to another NCAA program delaying his availability for any CFL clubs, but I love his burst off the ball on run blocks and ability to track defenders in space,” Ferguson said. What makes Fournier interesting is his versatility on the offensive line. He started his collegiate career playing center but has since been moved to left tackle.

That ability to move around will be huge for a career in the CFL.

Keegan Markgraf, LS, Utah
    “A long snapper? Yes. Keegan Markgraf is one of the NCAA’s best,” Ferguson said. “A product of Hamilton, Markgraf’s testing will be less important than his game film, but he could quickly become a CFL starter and a mainstay for anyone wishing to pick their future at one of the game’s most underrated positions.” Long snappers aren’t looked at as the most glamourous positions in the game, but as Ferguson said, it’s pivotal to the success of a football team. In his 33 career games with the Utes, Markgraf has had 160 snaps — 65 on punts, eight on field goals, and 72 on point-afters.

Markgraf was named Pac-12 All-Conference honourable mention in 2020 while also finishing as a semifinalist for the Patrick Mannelly Award as the nation’s best long snapper.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/27/five-n...ck-cfl-combine

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos are so loaded with Canadian talent, they may wish to draft a player or two who won't be available until 2022. DB's, Addae, Leonard and Rene would appear to fit into that category. Unlike some of the other teams that need to upgrade their Canadian talent immediately, the Argos have the luxury of waiting for some potentially outstanding talent.

The team may also be able to pick up a good Global player as they draft 3rd. Kevin Kaya a second team All-Canadian WR would be well worth a look.

Achievements:

Level
    The team is in good shape for now, but some of the NATs are on one-year contracts and Phil Blake is 35. A later-round "futures" pick would be OK but I don't think they can afford to think more long-term than usual.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The team is in good shape for now, but some of the NATs are on one-year contracts and Phil Blake is 35. A later-round "futures" pick would be OK but I don't think they can afford to think more long-term than usual.
    Blake May be 35, but I think the Argos have done a good job of drafting lineman that may be ready sooner rather than later in Richards, Simba, Strazcala and Churchill. I think MacAdoo as o-line coach will only speed up the development of these guys.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I see our 1st draft choice of 2020, Dejion Brissett, was at Virginia's March 24 Pro Day presumably trying to catch the eye of NFL scouts. Doesn't sound like he is 100% committed to playing for the Argos, especially if he thinks he has a chance of an NFL tryout. After a very poor senior year, one would expect he would want to establish himself as a good CFL receiver before looking to the NFL.