Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    TE Jake Burt has been added to the CFL draft.

Burt was born in Canada but moved to Lynnfield, Massachusetts with his family at the age of three. He attended St. John’s Preparatory School and received scholarship offers from a number of top institutions including Brown, Harvard, Old Dominion, and Virginia.

The six-foot-three, 260-pounder was at Boston College for five years and recorded 23 receptions for 307 yards and two touchdowns. He missed the entire 2016 season due to a torn ACL and suffered a broken collarbone in November 2019.

Burt signed with the New England Patriots as a free agent after going unselected in the 2020 NFL Draft and received an $80,000 to do so. He spent the season on the practice roster but was not retained at the end of the season. ...

With the NFL already out of his system, Burt’s stock should be sky-high for any team looking to add immediate help on their roster.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/04/25/b...021-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Following concussion issues, University of Massachusetts LB Tyris Lebeau has announced his retirement from the game before the 2021 CFL draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    No idea where/who the Argos will be looking this draft? They seem pretty loaded with Canadian talent and at a bunch of position groups.

Ferguson has them taking D. Stevens (Maine)? - he's playing MLB for them recently but maybe more a CFL rush end type? They already have young former draft picks Kwemo & Cassar as big MLB types; and they are loaded at import DE talent and still have Robbie Smith as a promising young NI DE. Picking Stevens would make little sense to me. Tough to disagree with resident CFL site draft "expert" Marshall though. ;o)
    I could see them taking Stevens. But as you say he more a rush end in the CFL at 6'2 255. Going back to Maine for another year though.

Not too many surprises in the Canadians be drafted by the NFL. Just where they were picked. I thought Hubbard would be picked before St. Juste, but RB's are not as valuable in the NFL now as they used to be. Jackson not being picked at all was a bit of a surprise, I thought he might go late rounds. So Ogbongbemiga, Jackson, LeBelle and Lestage not drafted but still signing as FA'a will probably still get picked fairly high in the CFL as futures.
    Going to be a lot of future picks this draft with several going back to College for another year.
    Don't know how much that will affect the teams Canadian content. That rumour of the League going to 3 starting Canadians in the future might well be true if they merge with the XFL. The GM's may have decided they could compete with the American teams with that number and still keep Canadian content for the Canadian teams. We will have to see how it plays out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the video at the url below, Duane Forde and Farhan Lalji discuss the draft situations of Logan Bandy and Deshawn Stevens. Lalji notes that while Stevens is looking for a transfer to a FBS school, if he does not get one that he wants, he could go the CFL.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/draft

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I could see them taking Stevens. But as you say he more a rush end in the CFL at 6'2 255. Going back to Maine for another year though.

Not too many surprises in the Canadians be drafted by the NFL. Just where they were picked. I thought Hubbard would be picked before St. Juste, but RB's are not as valuable in the NFL now as they used to be. Jackson not being picked at all was a bit of a surprise, I thought he might go late rounds. So Ogbongbemiga, Jackson, LeBelle and Lestage not drafted but still signing as FA'a will probably still get picked fairly high in the CFL as futures.
    Going to be a lot of future picks this draft with several going back to College for another year.
    Don't know how much that will affect the teams Canadian content. That rumour of the League going to 3 starting Canadians in the future might well be true if they merge with the XFL. The GM's may have decided they could compete with the American teams with that number and still keep Canadian content for the Canadian teams. We will have to see how it plays out.
    Stevens was playing MLB for Maine recently; i thought i read before he was more of an OLB /rush end type, but not sure? Read he will transfer to a bigger US college ball program for a final season, but if he doesn't get what he likes there, would show-up in the CFL ?

And the CFL GOB club would do whatever to get rid of or reduce the ratio; an XFL merger would give them a great excuse - need to "compete" - too bad those clowns don't know CFL history to understand what a couple of good CFL teams - with the ratio of 50% plus NIs and 10 or more Canadian starters (the Stamps & Esks) did to the US based teams of that period with Americans only rosters = they totally dominated them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Peter Nicastro - natural, accomplished interior O-Lineman; but joins a crowded Canadian talent O-Line group with the Argos ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Now another O-Lineman in Doxtator ? - going back for another season of US college ball - and might draw NFL interest ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Nice to see some CFL talk on TV. Hope TSN expands on its coverage for Draft day going forward. Wish they could do an quick interview with people like Mike Hogan , Marshal Ferguson , maybe a rep for each team. Hopefully by late summer get to go to a game... Go ARGOS !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Vilain - a DE; hmmm - interesting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Another receiver (Nield) and another LB (Hoyte) added, to already crowded Argo areas

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Sage Doxtater grew up on the Oneida First Nation. His selection by the Argos should make Carlos happy as he has been pushing to have the CFL expand its reach and help develop indigenous players. Hopefully the Argos are able to sign him and not lose him to the NFL. Sage plans on being a role model for other indigenous kids. He sounds like the kind of character and talented player the Argos need.

If you take one look at massive New Mexico State left tackle Sage Doxtater, there is little question why he’s considered one of the top prospects in the 2021 CFL Draft. ...

Growing up 30 minutes outside of downtown London, Ont., Doxtater was raised by his mother on the Oneida settlement, a reservation of just under 2,200 residents designated for the Oneida Nation of the Thames. Lacrosse, hockey and baseball were the available sports — football was a complete unknown. ...

It quickly became clear that Doxtater had a rare combination of size and athleticism that could take him as far as he wanted. Recruiters weren’t exactly flocking to Oneida on the Thames, however, so Doxtater made the difficult choice to leave home for his final two years of high school, moving two hours away to Canada Prep Academy in St. Catherines in order to play a full U.S. schedule. ...

Originally a member of the 2020 draft class, a nagging shoulder injury caused him to redshirt his first senior season in 2019. He returned this year only to have New Mexico State be one of just three FBS programs to cancel their fall season due to COVID-19.

Should the NFL not come calling, Doxtater will have a CFL contract waiting for him when he wants it. Growing up, the big man had few Indigenous sporting role models — only NBA star Kyrie Irving and NFL quarterback Sam Bradford come to mind — and is now intent on changing that for kids back home in Oneida.

“That would mean the world to me, honestly. Where I’m from, we don’t have a lot there. It’s kind of just a rundown-looking town. A lot of people are living in poverty. We haven’t had clean water there since like 1990-something,” Doxtater says. “It’s not the best place for kids to be and I just want to show them that there are different paths than just selling drug or quitting school, just something better for themselves.”

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/23/t...or-themselves/

But lately, the six-foot-seven, 340-pound veteran left tackle for the NCAA’s New Mexico State football Aggies has been guarding an Oneida Nation of the Thames checkpoint, helping block non-residents from entering the territory during the virus crisis.

“I’m trying to do what I can to protect my people and do my part,” the Glencoe resident said. “It’s a 25-minute drive from home and a shift can be up to six hours. The bad part is the weather. It snowed the other day and (after 40 C summers in Las Cruces, N.M.), I’m not used to that anymore.”

Last fall, Doxtater was considered a potential Top 5 pick for next week’s Canadian Football League draft by the CFL scouting bureau. He might have heard his name called in this week’s virtual NFL draft, too, but for a shoulder injury that took a big chunk out of his fourth U.S. college season.
    https://lfpress.com/sports/football/...e-virus-crisis

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following url has gradings for all the players selected by all teams. I've pasted the Argos selections below.

(7) Toronto Argonauts — OL Peter Nicastro, Calgary 2019 Canada West all-star who moves smoothly and bends well. Has extensive experience at the centre and guard positions. Compensates for lack of elite size (six-foot-two, 306 pounds) with quickness in space. Tough, smart blocker with pro-ready traits.The Argos are doing a good job of rebuilding an offensive line that was old and lacklustre in 2019. They’ll get Nicastro right away and he could push for playing time along a line that has a ton of new faces since the last time we saw CFL football. The grade: B+

(12) Toronto Argonauts — OL Sage Doxtater, New Mexico State No. 18-ranked prospect. Was raised on the Oneida Settlement before moving to St Catharines, Ont. to attend Canada Prep Academy. Four-year starter at left tackle with spectacular size at six-foot-seven and 350 pounds. Has heavy feet but a smooth kickstep. His foot speed should improve with some weight loss, which would be advisable if Doxtater makes the transition to the three-down game. Was originally a member of the 2020 CFL Draft class, but took a redshirt due to a nagging shoulder injury. Doxtater is a futures pick, but I think he’s worth the risk at No. 12 overall. He grew up nearby and projects as a CFL tackle. The grade: B+

(25) Toronto Argonauts — DL Luiji Vilain, Wake Forest Was once a four-star recruit coming out of high school but took just career 156 snaps over four years at Michigan, making nine tackles as he fought through injuries. Transferred to Wake Forest for 2021 where he hopes to start and generate some production. Has a nice long frame at six-foot-four and 255 pounds but has to prove he can stay on the field and make an impact. Vilain hasn’t come close to living up to the hype that accompanied him coming out of high school, but this is a fairly low-risk spot of the draft for the Argos. Solid choice and a good positional fit given that Toronto drafted Robbie Smith in 2019. The grade: B+

(30) Toronto Argonauts — REC Tommy Nield, McMaster Possession-style receiver with enough size at six-foot-three and 210 pounds to contribute on special teams. Had one of the best receiving games in OUA history against the University of Toronto in 2018, catching ten passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns. Recorded 102 career receptions for 1,618 yards and ten touchdowns in 28 games. The Argos don’t need help at Canadian receiver considering their depth, but Nield remains a solid addition. The grade: B

(33) Toronto Argonauts — LB Trevor Hoyte, Carleton Strong tackler who will show well on special teams. Has a solid frame at six-foot-two and 218 pounds and could be a candidate to play some safety. The grade: B+

(47) Toronto Argonauts (via Calgary) — DB Joshua Hagerty, Saskatchewan Brings great size at six-foot-four and 210 pounds and covers space deceptively well. Depth safety who should shine on special teams. The grade: B+

(52) Toronto Argonauts — DB Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota 3DownNation’s No. 3-ranked prospect. Has an exceptional frame six-foot-three and 205 pounds and puts it to good use at cornerback. Transferred to Michigan (2017-18) after a year at Cegep du Vieux (2016) before finishing his career with the Golden Gophers (2019-20). Was named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2019 after recording 45 total tackles and ten pass knockdowns. Drew rave reviews in the Senior Bowl, grading out No. 1 in the one-on-ones and the full-team sessions. Runs a 4.51 forty-yard dash and was a third-round selection of the Washington Football Team in the 2021 NFL Draft. It’s extremely unlikely that St-Juste will play in the CFL, but you can’t go wrong selecting a future this late in the draft. The grade: A-
    https://3downnation.com/2021/05/04/g...021-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Nicastro might pan out at interior O-line.

Hoyte & Nield are in real tough at their position groups given current depth, but at least both are proven college ball players.

Vilain might beat out Robbie Smith as a back-up DE ? But little production in US college ball to get excited about.

I consider Hagerty an interesting pick as a safety prospect - where the team has need.

Be nice if St-Juste would show-up if he doesn't stick in the NFL.

So-so Argo draft IMO; but they were already pretty deep in NI talent.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Admittedly the first draft I spent 0 minutes following and I have not heard of any players except for a few who got drafted in the NFL. If a fan like myself isn’t watching/following, I worry for the league. I honestly found out yesterday that the draft was today.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Admittedly the first draft I spent 0 minutes following and I have not heard of any players except for a few who got drafted in the NFL. If a fan like myself isn’t watching/following, I worry for the league. I honestly found out yesterday that the draft was today.
    For me, it's somewhat the opposite. I spent much more time following the draft this year than I did in previous years. I suppose that's because we've had nothing else player-related since 2019.

But yeah, I knew little-to-nothing about most of the players. Still, I followed along to see where certain guys (Lokombo, Jana, Hladik, Borsa) would end up and if any team would take a chance on some bigger-name NCAA guys like Hubbard and Ogbongbemiga.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I like the two Oline picks. According to Ben Grant, while we have lots of good Oline prospects, we were lacking a bit in depth and future guys who could play centre and on the left. I like having a blue chip rookie behind Speller. Could Doxtater be that NI left tackle we havent had for ages?

Vilain could be a great futures pick. Duane Forde is high on him, saying he was a top recruit out of high school. At Michigan, he had injuries and got stuck behind two actual and projected 1st round NFL picks. Transfer to Wake Forest should bring added responsibilities and reveal his potential to contribute.

Others (except for st. Juste) seem like special teamers, which is fine, if nothing to get excited about.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argo draft could best be described as solid but unexciting. The first two choices could give the team depth at the OL in the upcoming years. There were a few players that fell out of the first two rounds, that I would have liked the Argos to have considered.

Hladik is an outstanding athlete who could well develop into a great rush DE
    Cimankinda with his versatility could be an excellent depth player on the DL
    Borsa has outstanding speed and quickness and would be great on special teams right away and possible develop into a very effective and versatile RB

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The Argo draft could best be described as solid but unexciting.
    Taking into consideration there was no Usport football in 2020, I don't know how this draft could have been anything but unexciting. You really are drafting blind here and based on potential players have shown in past years. Not an easy thing to do.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I agree. There is considerably fewer comments on this thread this year about the draft than in previous years. Hopefully, we'll get all of the long-time fans back at games at least, but I have to wonder about that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have always enjoyed watching drafts (NHL, NFL, CFL) for many years, I like the off season strategies involved with building a team.
    Not sure if it is a sign of the times or the fact the Argos haven’t played in so long (or a combination of both) but last nights draft didn’t interest me as much as it normally would have.
    TSN’s presentation also seemed flat.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions