Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    HUGE SIGNINGS.... Brescacin re-signs and the one and only Mike Tyson joins the boatmen!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/01/13/...dd-mike-tyson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rumours are rumours, meaning they are not a lot but John Hodge is suggesting Nick Arbuckle could end up in Toronto.

Right now I’d bet that Nick Arbuckle ends up joining his old coach (Ryan Dinwiddie) in Toronto. He’s due a lot of money soon and I don’t think Ottawa’s willing to pay it. I wouldn’t either considering there are a lot more proven guys who should be available.

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/13/i...uckles-future/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There could be some truth to the rumour, at least to the part of Nick Arbuckle leaving Ottawa.

The calendar countdown says the Ottawa Redblacks have less than three weeks to virtually shake quarterback Nick Arbuckle’s hand and agree to a restructured contract for the 2021 season. If a deal can’t be reached, though, the real deadline is not the Feb. 9 opening of CFL free agency. It’s Feb. 1 when the Redblacks are due to pay Arbuckle a roster bonus, believed to be $150,000. ...

In the meantime, RNation holds its breath, hopeful Redblacks GM Marcel Desjardins can crunch the numbers to a level acceptable to Arbuckle in what, league-wide, has become a tug of war over dollars between teams and their elite players. Reeling from a lost 2020 season thanks to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, CFL teams have made no secret of their intent to cut their player costs. While a collective bargaining agreement in its final year allows teams to spend a maximum of $5.35 million, it also allows them to spend as little as a $4.75-million floor. ...

So how do teams find $600,000 in savings? They talk to their highest-paid players – the quarterbacks – and ask them to take one for the team and suck it up for a league that has called the loss of a season a financial disaster. That means Arbuckle will be expected to pocket significantly less. ...

As much as the Redblacks need the 27-year-old quarterback, he could need them at least equally as much. Six teams have starting quarterbacks signed and in place. That leaves three – Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto. Hamilton is still negotiating with Jeremiah Masoli, one of the best in the league. And if that doesn’t work out, they’ve got Dane Evans, who looked very good subbing in when Masoli missed a big chunk of the 2019 season with a torn ACL. So that won’t be a possible fallback. That leaves Toronto as the only other option. The Argos are trying to twist the arm of former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Matt Nichols and get him to agree to a restructured deal. TSN’s Farhan Lalji said the Argos are due to pay Nichols a $220,000 signing bonus Feb. 1, with his contract set at an additional $345,000. Lalji said the Argos’ offer to Nichols included a 40 per cent cut in the hard money. If Nichols signs with the Argos, Arbuckle loses any leverage he has. If Nichols decides to wait it out, he also stands the risk of having no leverage. ...

Here’s why the Redblacks will want it to work out, why Desjardins will do everything he can to find common ground: If you talk to those who know Arbuckle, he’s a good guy, a good family man and a quarterback with high upside. Count Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson among his admirers.

“I love the person, I love the work ethic, I love the player,” Dickenson told me a year ago. “Nothing’s come easy for him. He’s had to overcome some major things in his life. He’s overcome limitations, physically nobody gave him a chance, nobody. We also passed on him once. But the second time he came around, I thought, ‘You know what, I have to give this kid a chance, I think there’s something there.’ He took it and ran with hit. He’s a guy, I think, all people in the CFL should root for.”
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...-nick-arbuckle

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Rumours are rumours, meaning they are not a lot but John Hodge is suggesting Nick Arbuckle could end up in Toronto.

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/13/i...uckles-future/
    So are the Argos waiting for Marcel to release Arbuckle then they will release Nichols and sign Arbuckle? They're not going to trade for him and pay a signing bonus. I still can't believe the Argos were going to pay Nichols over 500k including the signing bonus. Much rather have Masoli.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    HUGE SIGNINGS.... Brescacin re-signs and the one and only Mike Tyson joins the boatmen!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/01/13/...dd-mike-tyson/
    Good to see Brescacin re signed. I wonder if TJ Jones is still going to be in the picture?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good to see Brescacin re signed. I wonder if TJ Jones is still going to be in the picture?
    Unless and until the league and the PA agree to revise the CBA, I'd say there's no chance we will see TJJ in Double Blue. He's not playing for what CBA requires for NATs who are new to the league.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nichols owed a $220,000 signing bonus + an additional $345,000 in salary = major overpayment IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Nichols owed a $220,000 signing bonus + an additional $345,000 in salary = major overpayment IMO.
    If those numbers are accurate, I agree completely. Especially considering we had MBT signed to a deal that reportedly was worth about $220k IIRC. I know some fans feel MBT is not as good as Nichols or a QB who can be sold to the masses as our starter, but he's certainly not 40% the QB Nichols is. That ship may have sailed but I would still prefer MBT over Nichols, especially at a steep discount.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    So are the Argos waiting for Marcel to release Arbuckle then they will release Nichols and sign Arbuckle? They're not going to trade for him and pay a signing bonus. I still can't believe the Argos were going to pay Nichols over 500k including the signing bonus. Much rather have Masoli.

Wonder if LaPolice would prefer Nichols over the pretty un-proven Arbuckle ? LaPo would have a firm opinion on Nichols from the Bombers. And the Argos should have little interest in Arbuckle IMO, other than at a very low $ value to compete at QB in TC; much rather give O'Connor a real shot, but Arbuckle might get put higher on the TC depth chart

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Argos announced a few notable extensions on Thursday.

Shaq Richardson and Maurice Simba have both been extended by the Boatmen. Richardson should start somewhere in the secondary while Simba will compete on the o-line.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If those numbers are accurate, I agree completely. Especially considering we had MBT signed to a deal that reportedly was worth about $220k IIRC. I know some fans feel MBT is not as good as Nichols or a QB who can be sold to the masses as our starter, but he's certainly not 40% the QB Nichols is. That ship may have sailed but I would still prefer MBT over Nichols, especially at a steep discount.
    I believe its obvious what John Murphy and Pinball thought of MBT compared to Nichols by the reported contracts handed out. And we know if the people in charge of running the Team listen to the fans they will soon be sitting with them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe its obvious what John Murphy and Pinball thought of MBT compared to Nichols by the reported contracts handed out. And we know if the people in charge of running the Team listen to the fans they will soon be sitting with them.
    And based on stats and past accomplishments, how could they not?

It's basically 5 good seasons to 1. Matt Nichols has proven himself in the CFL and is one of the most under-rated players in the game.

As much as I'd like MBT back, I wouldn't want to rely on him as anything more than a great backup or -at best- a 1B platoon QB.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    And based on stats and past accomplishments, how could they not?

It's basically 5 good seasons to 1. Matt Nichols has proven himself in the CFL and is one of the most under-rated players in the game.

As much as I'd like MBT back, I wouldn't want to rely on him as anything more than a great backup or -at best- a 1B platoon QB.
    Hard to compare seasons of the 2 based on the difference in overall team talent. The fact MBT had the one good season on a very poorly coached team, that was dominated on both sides of the line is impressive IMO. Nichols has been playing with the best o-line in the league and the security of having a RB that takes pressure off of him has certainly helped him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Hard to compare seasons of the 2 based on the difference in overall team talent. The fact MBT had the one good season on a very poorly coached team, that was dominated on both sides of the line is impressive IMO. Nichols has been playing with the best o-line in the league and the security of having a RB that takes pressure off of him has certainly helped him.
    Don't want to take away from either of them to be honest. They both deserve credit, where credit is due. Nichols has a bigger sample and, as you know, a bigger sample (with positive results) will most often be reflected in the stipend & term.

MBT has had many coaches eyeballs on him over the years, yet somehow he is still either a late bloomer, an enigma or just plain unlucky.

I understand Argo management's call on this one.

I guess we'll have to see how this all develops leading up to FA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:

Level
    Super stoked to have Alden Darby back in the fold. A solid player and an even more solid citizen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Super stoked to have Alden Darby back in the fold. A solid player and an even more solid citizen.
    For sure, he is now one of the leaders on the Defence, and glad to have him back!

He gets involved in the City and that is a big thing for this new management group.

Speaking of the Defence, with Shane Ray potentially ready to join Eli Harold at DE in Toronto (a couple of former NFL high draft picks), I wonder if there is a future here for Alex Bazzie?

Signings that I'd still like to see in the coming days;

Chris Ackie, Bo Lokombo, Drake Nevis, Natay Adjei, Michael O'Connor and of course the starting Quarterback.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'm glad to see Darby back as well, along with the addition of NFL veteran Martavis Byrant. Here is the Argo release on what they bring to the team, including Bryant setting a NFL record of 6 TDs in the first 4 games of his rookie season. It looks like management is really trying to build a powerful team quickly.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/01/25/...n-alden-darby/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is going to be a very interesting weekend in the CFL. Players under contract that have not re-structured their deals may be let go before Sunday's bonus day, and that includes Matt Nichols. Looking forward to plenty of CFL transactions over the next couple of weeks.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is speculation that former first team NFL All-Pro Josh Gordon, 2013 league leading WR, could be heading to the CFL because he has shown interest in coming here in the past and it could be to the Argos.

The Argos re-added Gordon to the team’s exclusive negotiation list on December 28, 2020. Exactly one week earlier, the NFL determined Gordon broke the terms of his conditional reinstatement after being suspended indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. The move sidelined Gordon again, creating even more uncertainty regarding his future in the NFL. The receiver didn’t play a down in 2020 for the Seattle Seahawks after being suspended for a fifth time in December 2019. ...

Gordon was Calgary Stampeders’ property for nearly four years. He was initially added to the team’s neg list after being suspended by the NFL for a positive marijuana test.

Faced with the prospect of missing a full year on the football field in 2014, Gordon considered playing the remainder of the CFL schedule, although that would have required obtaining his release from the Cleveland Browns at the time. The fact that Gordon wanted to play pro football in Canada stands out. He’s aware of the league, respects the high level of talent, and sees it as a legitimate way to extend his playing career.

Gordon has played 63 career NFL games, making 247 receptions for 4,252 yards and 20 touchdowns while averaging 17.1 yards per catch. His best season came in 2013 when he caught 87 passes for a league-leading 1,646 yards with nine touchdowns in 14 games. Through parts of six seasons in the NFL, Gordon has made over $5.5 million.

Following the Bryant signing, there is a belief that if Seattle severs ties with Gordon, the 2013 first-team All-Pro could actually end up playing football in Canada. ...

Bryant and Gordon running together with the Argos’ starting offence would help draw eyeballs that are desperately needed in Toronto.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/01/26/a...ing-to-canada/

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This is going to be a very interesting weekend in the CFL. Players under contract that have not re-structured their deals may be let go before Sunday's bonus day, and that includes Matt Nichols. Looking forward to plenty of CFL transactions over the next couple of weeks.
    I say move on and pursue Masoli. Or even Arbuckle.