Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Not crazy about signing Hughes at 37-38. He may be well motivated because of his release from Saskatchewan, but physically you just never know.
    The year off can be a blessing or a curse. He's either refreshed or rusty. I do like the signing. I don't think Argos pass rush has ever been great since Butler-Lemon so it's worth the risk.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    As a long-time Argo fan you are surely well aware of the Argo tradition & penchant to sign ex-NFLers and all-American heroes as saviours. I've always sort of bought into some of that hype ;o)

I'd much rather see more balance, with respect for and giving a chance to Canadian talent - via the draft and FA signings (and not just 7 only need apply thinking); i thought they might be headed more that way with the former signings of Lokombo, Ackie, Colquhon, Brescacin, Blake, and others. We shall see.
    As a long time devoted Argonauts fan... I must admit that those days when they were signing "ex-NFLers and all-American heroes as saviours" were darn exciting times around here. The balance in economics between the American and Canadian game has changed so very much... now it's more lucrative for a Canadian kid to sit on an American taxi squad than to be an all star in the CFL. Personally... I really miss the days when Canadian teams could sign recognizable NCAA players right out of college ball... especially when their physical attributes didn't exactly meet NFL standards. Nowadays they'd rather take a UDFA deal from an American team... and potentially bounce around the perimeter of the NFL for years... than sign up here.

My opinion... it's not just the massive amounts of TV money that make the NFL so attractive to borderline prospects... it's the lack of fair living wages for non-stars up here that has created the current situation. The implementation of the salary cap may have saved the CFL... and permitted some teams to prosper out west... but it almost just as surely a killed any interest in the league by the younger generations in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post

My opinion... it's not just the massive amounts of TV money that make the NFL so attractive to borderline prospects... it's the lack of fair living wages for non-stars up here that has created the current situation. The implementation of the salary cap may have saved the CFL... and permitted some teams to prosper out west... but it almost just as surely a killed any interest in the league by the younger generations in Toronto.
    I respectfully disagree in that I say it is 100% of the amounts of TV money that have done this. Even if there was no salary cap in the CFL, how do you compete with players making 20M+ USD? You may be able to steal some back ups if you were to pay them close to 1M per season, but would that really make a difference? Does the average fan even know any NFL back ups? Hardcore football fans might, but that audience is not the audience you need to attract. It's not a big group, and you pretty well already have the hardcore fans.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah, it's entirely a function of the difference in TV money. The CFL routinely signed NFL draft picks in their draft year up until the early 80s. Once the 84-86 CFL TV contract expired, the CFL experienced over a decade of financial problems while NFL revenues exploded. Other than Rocket Ismail (which required a massive contract), I can't remember any NFL draft pick in the last 30 years who decided to skip the NFL and sign with the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos get deal done with Cordarro Law

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/04/...deal-done-law/

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The 2019 sack leader and the #5 guy as bookends? Yes, please.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    The 2019 sack leader and the #5 guy as bookends? Yes, please.
    So what about new DE prospect, former NFLer Eli Harold ? Would the team carry 3 import DEs ? - cause that's all these 3 play for the CFL game ? Hughes & Law did likely not signe for cheap.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos making waves.

Would have been nice for Dinwiddie and his staff to have gotten a years experience in but I guess they will.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I respectfully disagree in that I say it is 100% of the amounts of TV money that have done this. Even if there was no salary cap in the CFL, how do you compete with players making 20M+ USD? You may be able to steal some back ups if you were to pay them close to 1M per season, but would that really make a difference? Does the average fan even know any NFL back ups? Hardcore football fans might, but that audience is not the audience you need to attract. It's not a big group, and you pretty well already have the hardcore fans.
    Maybe I should have said that I really miss the days when the Argos had wealthy owners who didn't mind blowing a little money on the team.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    Argos get deal done with Cordarro Law

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/04/...deal-done-law/
    Wow... this is quite a surprise after the Charleston Hughes signing. It's exciting for sure... I like this idea of doing the shopping while the market is still closed (free agency starts next week)... but where are the rest of the quarterbacks ???

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    So what about new DE prospect, former NFLer Eli Harold ? Would the team carry 3 import DEs ? - cause that's all these 3 play for the CFL game ? Hughes & Law did likely not signe for cheap.
    In 2019 the team had four import DEs: Lemon, Beltre, Bishop, and Antigha, and only Beltre played on special teams. I see no reason not to keep Harold if he performs well in camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    In 2019 the team had four import DEs: Lemon, Beltre, Bishop, and Antigha, and only Beltre played on special teams. I see no reason not to keep Harold if he performs well in camp.
    And hybrids like Gilchrist and Tuggle helping out off the line over the past couple of seasons also.

4 imports is not an issue whatsoever. They'll effectively be looking for a blend of 8 to rotate in and out, and cover for injury
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    As a long-time Argo fan you are surely well aware of the Argo tradition & penchant to sign ex-NFLers and all-American heroes as saviours. I've always sort of bought into some of that hype ;o)

I'd much rather see more balance, with respect for and giving a chance to Canadian talent - via the draft and FA signings (and not just 7 only need apply thinking); i thought they might be headed more that way with the former signings of Lokombo, Ackie, Colquhon, Brescacin, Blake, and others. We shall see.
    Lol, we sure have bought into that hype (and hope) especially during some abysmal seasons.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the last few days, kudos to Murphy, Pinball and the entire Argos organization for being aggressive in addressing many areas of need.
    Hopefully QB depth next on the bucket list.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    And hybrids like Gilchrist and Tuggle helping out off the line over the past couple of seasons also.

4 imports is not an issue whatsoever. They'll effectively be looking for a blend of 8 to rotate in and out, and cover for injury
    I think it's pretty rare that a CFL team dresses 8 D-linemen on the game roster, but i guess do-able ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the possible exception of Linebacking, the team seems to be shaping up very nicely. Great to see the team making moves to bring in effective rush ends--that has been missing for the last couple of years. Looking at the roster, the team may find itself releasing some fine talent at cut down time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This team certainly looks stacked on paper. Love what Pinball and Murphy are doing. The Argos have to start generating talk around town and this could help a lot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I think it's pretty rare that a CFL team dresses 8 D-linemen on the game roster, but i guess do-able ?
    My recollection is that the Argos dressed eight a lot in the past few years, and particularly in 2017. D-line rotation, to keep guys fresh, is in vogue and I see no reason we can't dress eight on a roster of 44.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    My recollection is that the Argos dressed eight a lot in the past few years, and particularly in 2017. D-line rotation, to keep guys fresh, is in vogue and I see no reason we can't dress eight on a roster of 44.
    True, and as of today this is who I'd imagine would open up the season along the DLine;

DE - Cordarro Law, Charleston Hughes, Eli Harold, Robbie Smith

DT - Drake Nevis, Jhaustin Thomas, Ronald Ollie, and Sam Acheompong
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    True, and as of today this is who I'd imagine would open up the season along the DLine;

DE - Cordarro Law, Charleston Hughes, Eli Harold, Robbie Smith

DT - Drake Nevis, Jhaustin Thomas, Ronald Ollie, and Sam Acheompong
    If the Argos are going all import on the DL. A couple of standout DT's available IMO would be Sewell and Johnson. They've also signed a three year NFL veteran who was a 3rd round pick in Thornton. Downside though is he hasn't played in three years.