Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Just read that Ottawa has signed former Argo DT Davon Coleman; i had forgotten about him, and always liked him (with Ticats & BC too); wasn't listed as a FA on the Argo list - was he let go / cut ? And if so why ? ( IMO as good or better a DT than recent signing Nevis).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I liked Coleman, but really liked what I saw out of Jhaustin Thomas. Happy he's still in the fold.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    In 2019 the team had four import DEs: Lemon, Beltre, Bishop, and Antigha, and only Beltre played on special teams. I see no reason not to keep Harold if he performs well in camp.
    Beltre was awesome on teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    2 RBs with NFL playing time - good prove very good for the Argos
    There's actually three -- all three drafted, all three had stretches of productivity in the NFL, and all three are 27 or 28. A lot of times guys like that who haven't played in a while change their minds and choose not to report, but both Bishop Sankey and Karlos Williams had a chance to think about it for a year and STILL decided they wanted to give it a go, which I think says something about their commitment and desire to play. Especially since neither of them has played since 2015, and that's a long time ago. The good news is they were both exceptional backs who are now in their prime and without a lot of wear and tear.

But I'm most excited about Kenneth Dixon who was a part of the Colts playoff run in 2018. Perfect size, strength and speed for an all-purpose back, and not as far removed from game action as the other two.

It kinda reminds me of 2017 when we signed both James Wilder Jr and Kendall Hunter, two backs with similar status to the guys we got this year, and we all know how that turned out.

I also liked what I saw with AJ "The Bulldozer" Ouellette last year and he should be in the mix too. It'd be nice to see a power running game that can convert second-and-twos on a regular basis.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Even if there was no salary cap in the CFL, how do you compete with players making 20M+ USD? You may be able to steal some back ups if you were to pay them close to 1M per season, but would that really make a difference?
    With all due respect my good man, $1M (pref US) should be good to grab some name NFL guys on the downside of their career who want to roll the dice and reboot.

Cam Newton didn't make much more than that in New England this season. There's no way anyone in the NFL is ever gonna want him as a starter again. Why wouldn't he take that money to start in the CFL?

But just taking a step back for a minute, if there was no salary cap what's to stop MLSE from spending $20M on some superstar?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's actually three -- all three drafted, all three had stretches of productivity in the NFL, and all three are 27 or 28. A lot of times guys like that who haven't played in a while change their minds and choose not to report, but both Bishop Sankey and Karlos Williams had a chance to think about it for a year and STILL decided they wanted to give it a go, which I think says something about their commitment and desire to play. Especially since neither of them has played since 2015, and that's a long time ago. The good news is they were both exceptional backs who are now in their prime and without a lot of wear and tear.

But I'm most excited about Kenneth Dixon who was a part of the Colts playoff run in 2018. Perfect size, strength and speed for an all-purpose back, and not as far removed from game action as the other two.

It kinda reminds me of 2017 when we signed both James Wilder Jr and Kendall Hunter, two backs with similar status to the guys we got this year, and we all know how that turned out.

I also liked what I saw with AJ "The Bulldozer" Ouellette last year and he should be in the mix too. It'd be nice to see a power running game that can convert second-and-twos on a regular basis.
    Yeah - I like the sound of Dixon and like Ouellette as well (saw him play at Ohio with Nathan Rourke).

Ultra-long shot and probably pencilled in at fullback due to passport, but draft pick Dion Pellerin - big & productive tailback at Waterloo - should get a real shot as a power back (sadly, doubtful)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level

I am excited to see what these guys can do in TC. Dixon just might be the one that wins the job. They all have good points for sure. We saw Ouellette for a small sample in 2019 and he showed he can play in the League.

Speaking of Wilder. I always thought he would make a whale of slot back in the CFL with the running start and his size. Great hands, can catch the ball in a crowd and a tough guy to bring down. Especially against those smaller DB's he would be facing. Don't know why some of the high foreheads in the League haven't thought of that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I am excited to see what these guys can do in TC. Dixon just might be the one that wins the job. They all have good points for sure. We saw Ouellette for a small sample in 2019 and he showed he can play in the League.

Speaking of Wilder. I always thought he would make a whale of slot back in the CFL with the running start and his size. Great hands, can catch the ball in a crowd and a tough guy to bring down. Especially against those smaller DB's he would be facing. Don't know why some of the high foreheads in the League haven't thought of that.
    Agreed. Wilder would be excellent in the slot. He's a Robert Drummond-type
    Hustle hit and never quit

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I was very impressed with Ouellette too... based on what I saw.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The three drafted RB's, are all extremely talented athletes but each comes with their own issues.

Dixon is injury prone. He was drafted in 2016 but has only played 18 games, mostly because of injuries.

Sankey's production has continued to drop off since he left college. Even when he played in the briefly in the AAF, he only gained 119 yards in 4 games (30 carries)

Williams had an absolutely outstanding rookie season in the NFL but next year came to camp so out of shape that he was released. He also had cannabis issues which have led to NFL suspensions. Even though cannabis is not illegal in Canada, it does indicate questionable judgement.

Ouellette may turn out to be the best RB. Not as athletically gifted as the above three, he has demonstrated determination and character. He was an unknown walk on at Ohio but ended up as their premium back and was a two time team captain. He looked impressive in the few appearances with the team in 2019.

Can't wait to training camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos sign another ex-NFLer - DE Shane Ray (former Broncos 1st round pick).

Wow = lots of high profile competition at DE - and a good thing cause pass rush is quite important.

Be interesting to see what type of money a former NFL 1st round draft pick signed for here; and compare to some established CFL guys at the same position.

Re-sign Anthony Woodson as well - very glad about that one - CFL experienced now / shown skills = can be a starter in the D-backfield if given an honest shot to compete. I thought the Stamps might try to scoop him, but I guess he was happy in TO ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Re-sign Anthony Woodson as well - very glad about that one - CFL experienced now / shown skills = can be a starter in the D-backfield if given an honest shot to compete. I thought the Stamps might try to scoop him, but I guess he was happy in TO ?
    I love this re-signing. He was better than the majority of the secondary. Especially loved how good a tackler he was. He blew up a couple of receiver screens that really impressed me. Should a willingness to take on the block and still make the play. I would hope he gets a look as a starter.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos sign another ex-NFLer - DE Shane Ray (former Broncos 1st round pick).

Wow = lots of high profile competition at DE - and a good thing cause pass rush is quite important.

Be interesting to see what type of money a former NFL 1st round draft pick signed for here; and compare to some established CFL guys at the same position.

They also signed global player Asnnel Robo. Keeping Woodson is great news! Ray in another great pick up.

Here is the link to the article - https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/06/...-sign-woodson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    With all due respect my good man, $1M (pref US) should be good to grab some name NFL guys on the downside of their career who want to roll the dice and reboot.

Cam Newton didn't make much more than that in New England this season. There's no way anyone in the NFL is ever gonna want him as a starter again. Why wouldn't he take that money to start in the CFL?

But just taking a step back for a minute, if there was no salary cap what's to stop MLSE from spending $20M on some superstar?
    With all due respect back, you are not taking reality into consideration. All things being equal, a 1M NFL player isn’t leaving for the same amount to play elsewhere. Regarding the 20M question? Business sense is what is preventing MLSE from doing that. I guarantee that will never happen.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Let’s hope addressing the QB depth is next on the Argos agenda.
    Would hate to lose O’Connor.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/06/w...chael-oconnor/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It appears that both former high NFL picks Harold and Ray will have the opportunity to learn the CFL game from vets Law and Hughes. Looking forward to seeing Ray wearing #15...its a no brainer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ray looks like he could help make our DEs a continuous sack machine with no rest for QBs wondering who is coming when players sub in. Ray had 14.5 sacks one year in college, 4 in his rookie NFL season and 8 another year. With Hughes at 16 and Law at 10 in 2019, it QBs could be choosing between happy feet and taking hard hits quite often.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Re-signed Woodson -- bravo!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Ray wearing #15...its a no brainer.
    Shane Ray is 6'3" and 245 lbs. Ricky's old uni may be a bit snug on him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Wow! Argos four deep at top import DE's now plus Rob Smith. I guess there are a couple other import DE's still listed (Neal and Iheoma) who must wonder where they fit in.

Glad to see Woodson back, he has played well in spots. I thought for sure Huff would bring him back to Alberta to go with Metchie at safety out there.