Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    Awesome addition and nice to see. Theoretically no weak spots.

Maybe O'Donnell next.
    O'Donnell would be nice, an upgrade over a couple of projected starters. But maybe he's done with football. There's one other guy left IMO. TJ Jones.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    O'Donnell would be nice, an upgrade over a couple of projected starters. But maybe he's done with football. There's one other guy left IMO. TJ Jones.
    Are they still sticking to the low end of the cap or has the pendulum swung? Full bore to the max now.

National depth not being an issue could lead to a stud offensive tackle being brought in. Not saying Jamal Campbell is not the answer.

I would call Olifoye if they are looking. Still only 33 and more or less a casualty of the Mike Reilly signing with the new regime in Van. Same guys that said Sol Elimimian was done. Would still rank in the top half dozen OT's if he was playing.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - QB, plus very inexperienced HC are big question marks IMO; rest of the roster looking potentially very strong - on paper anyways (though I'm not sold on overall O-line talent)
    Good assessment. I think of it as Lance Stroll in an F1 car. All kinds of power.

Tough spot for a rookie coaching staff to coach and to also let the veteran players play their game. They have plenty of leadership if it is pulling in the same direction

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Are they still sticking to the low end of the cap or has the pendulum swung? Full bore to the max now.

National depth not being an issue could lead to a stud offensive tackle being brought in. Not saying Jamal Campbell is not the answer.

I would call Olifoye if they are looking. Still only 33 and more or less a casualty of the Mike Reilly signing with the new regime in Van. Same guys that said Sol Elimimian was done. Would still rank in the top half dozen OT's if he was playing.
    Reaching out to Olifoye, a player who decided to retire on his own terms after the 2018 season would tell me the team is unable to actually find a quality import OT. I doubt he would want to return to pro football.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Reaching out to Olifoye, a player who decided to retire on his own terms after the 2018 season would tell me the team is unable to actually find a quality import OT. I doubt he would want to return to pro football.
    You could be right. I have no insider knowledge of JO but do know he is a quality import OT.

BC had lots of money for Joel Figueroa who is good and paid Brett Boyko who cost Brian Chiu his job. Kelly Bates replaces Boyko with Justin Renfrow and he is a genius. Maybe they should have just paid Olifoye to start with. They did the same thing with Elimimain and would have been better off had they not. Now they are paying Ryker Matthews.

Many good players did not play in 2019 due to contract issues and now they have all missed a year. Curious to see what we get.

Tristan Okpalaugo was another very good player who walked over Willie Jeffersons big contract. Teaming him with Victor Butler was my hope.

CFL could improve through salary disclosures but they don't seem to like the idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos have done a remarkable job of rebuilding the team, both on offense and defense, with their off-season transactions. . On the basis of that rebuilding, I'll take up Wobbler's challenge to predict the likely starting line up.
    Defense:
    DE--Law, Hughes
    DT--Ealy, Nevis
    LB--Judge, Muamba, Feeney
    DB--Richardson, Darby, Colquhoun, Daniel, Richards

Offense:
    OL--Allen, Blake, Spelling, Bladek, Campbell
    WR--Rogers, Daniels Brescacin, Bryant, Noel
    QB--Arbuckle
    RB--White

Some who might surprise--Hendrix(DL), Cliett(LB), Merriweather(DB), Jeanpiere(WR), Ouellette(RB), Richards(OL)

OK, it is a bit foolhardy to predict the starting line up this early but it is an interesting exercise. Look forward to comments (positive or negative)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The Argos have done a remarkable job of rebuilding the team, both on offense and defense, with their off-season transactions. . On the basis of that rebuilding, I'll take up Wobbler's challenge to predict the likely starting line up.
    Defense:
    DE--Law, Hughes
    DT--Ealy, Nevis

Offense:
    QB--Arbuckle
    RB--White

Some who might surprise--Hendrix(DL), Cliett(LB), Merriweather(DB), Jeanpiere(WR), Ouellette(RB), Richards(OL)

OK, it is a bit foolhardy to predict the starting line up this early but it is an interesting exercise. Look forward to comments (positive or negative)
    So who plays safety then, because I think Colqhoun is best on the corner, along with his two backups Woodson and Boateng?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    So who plays safety then, because I think Colqhoun is best on the corner, along with his two backups Woodson and Boateng?
    Colquhon plays corner and Woodson starts at D-half.

Shaq Richardson might be the best lock of this group; not sure Richards was real starter calibre when he played in the CFL before; Daniel seemed pretty decent for the Stamps but is hardly a proven commodity. They could IMO look at drafting a top safety prospect and give the guy a shot; Darby has played there before though.

Having a hard time picturing 2 starting NI receivers when they have proven vets in Rogers & Daniels, plus ex-NFLers, to go with. Also might be doubtful they go with even one NI starter at OT if they already have 7 other starting Canadians elsewhere (3 interior O-linemen + one receiver + 3 on defence)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    IMO I think Shatto has the right five guys in the defensive backfield going into training camp. My take with them lining up would be Richardson and Colqhoun on the corners, Richards and Daniel at DHB and Darby at safety. Then go from there and see who else steps up.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    OL is weak. Arbuckle will have to run for his life. John White; not a blocker he be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So glad to see LB Jack Cassar sign a deal after being drafted 11th overall last season. Big guy who could be the next Mike O’Shea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OL is weak. Arbuckle will have to run for his life. John White; not a blocker he be.
    I thought the O-line is looking better than in past years. Some good looking draftees along with some good young FA signings. The only question mark it seems, like every season is the Import RT position. Aside from John White (I would have to watch film to determine if he can or cannot block), the team also has signed a few former NFL backs with size.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    So glad to see LB Jack Cassar sign a deal after being drafted 11th overall last season. Big guy who could be the next Mike O’Shea.
    I agree. Great size and another local guy. Hoping for a league for him to play in for many years to come.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I thought the O-line is looking better than in past years. Some good looking draftees along with some good young FA signings. The only question mark it seems, like every season is the Import RT position. Aside from John White (I would have to watch film to determine if he can or cannot block), the team also has signed a few former NFL backs with size.
    One thing Ambrosie remained true to his word about was to reduce offensive holding calls which has helped the game from the perspective of an O lineman.

Mike Filer might be a better one year bet than first year starter Speller at C. Maybe O'Donnell will sign for $90,000. Justin Renfrow would be reasonably priced and is available. We'll see what Pinball does.

NFL running backs will be looking at the extra man for the first time but football is football and they will pick it up. I like the Karlos Williams story but wish them all good luck in making the team.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=gilthethrill;152981] Aside from John White (I would have to watch film to determine if he can or cannot block)

I like John White but don't see why the Argos signed him tbh.

As the primary back in BC his QB was sacked almost 50 times but there are so many variables it is hard to pin it on one guy other than the ones they already blamed and threw under the bus (Claybrooks, Hervey, Brian Chiu, Brett Boyko, Wally, Waterboy #2, anyone else not named Mike). Personally not a fan of the 5 step drop on every play but apparently your new offensive co-ordinator was okay with it. I expect better results with Nick Arbuckle.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The team has invested in the future of the OL by signing a number of young Canadian OL players, who hopefully will soon battle to become starting players..

At least one of Churchill, Giffen, Richards, Simba and Starczala could become starters in the near future and with a modicum of luck perhaps more than one. The quality is there and optimistically so is the quality.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Whoops, meant to say the quantity is there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is a look at four of the recent Argo 2020 draft signees:

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/22/argos-...der-churchill/

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Defense:
    DE--Law, Hughes
    DT--Ealy, Nevis

Offense:
    QB--Arbuckle
    RB--White

Bravery noted and appreciated. ;)

Curious about your choice of Feeney (who I know nothing about) starting at LB. How did you pick him for SAM?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks, Wobbler. Was a bit foolhardy but hoped it might start some discussions. The choice of the LB to join Judge and Muamba was a bit of a gamble, since Judge is so athletically talented he could play WILL or SAM. Settling on Feeney was somewhat of a shot in the dark. He is big (6' 4" / 230lbs and fast 4.50 40 yd). In fact one site has him running 4.41. Talent like that is hard to ignore. He was chosen in the 6th round of NFL draft. He showed the desire to play after being cut in the NFL by continuing to play successfully in the AFL. This type of player might be hungry enough to be really motivated to play well in the CFL. According to the Bleacher Report he wowed the scouts in his senior year and in the East-West Shrine game.

In his senior year he was the University of Washington's Defensive Player of the Year while playing with a sports hernia injury. You can't fail to be impressed by his senior year highlight video. There is one fly in the ointment, however --in 2019 he was signed by Montreal but released the same day---would love to know what that was all about.

Choosing Feeney was a bit of a flyer but thought his athletic ability made it a risk worth taking.