Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I hope I’m wrong, but Pipkin signing doesn’t excite me. I think he got worse every time out in Montreal. I hope they van get MBT to be a reliable back up and push Arbuckle.
    I thought Pipkin at least flashed some good QB talent with the Als - big guy, pretty strong arm and can run. Shouldn't be written-off yet. Vernon Adams was given up on by several CFL teams, till he got the opportunity and took off with it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I thought Pipkin at least flashed some good QB talent with the Als - big guy, pretty strong arm and can run. Shouldn't be written-off yet. Vernon Adams was given up on by several CFL teams, till he got the opportunity and took off with it.
    True enough. He is only 25 or 26.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Cause there is big need for QB competition and he has at least some CFL experience + Dinwiddie would know him from the Stumps ?
    Were Dinwiddie a fan we probably would have signed Wolfgang Amadeus already. IMO, CFL experience isn't important for the #3 guy. It would be nice, of course, but if you need your backup's backup to win games...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo RB James Wilder Jr. has signed with Edmonton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Why would we want him? (Other than the fact that we could call him Mozart, which would be fun.)
    I wasn’t suggested that the Argos should sign him. Since Dinwiddie has a past with him I figured he would be picked up.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    There are a lot of good linebackers still looking for contracts. The Argos may end up getting someone at a discount.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    O'Connor gone to Calgary. All I can say is if Huff wants you, then you have something going you. Murphy is suppose to be on the Rod Peterson Show tomorrow. To explain this travesty.
    Big potential loss in O'Connor leaving to go to Calgary.
    After all the Stamps have been a QB factory over the years and successful with Canandian QB's to at least in a back up roll.
    Huff and Dickenson having played the position at a very high level, obviously have seen what most of us here in that O'Connor has very good potential to someday be a starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Some random thoughts about the Argo roster and recent changes to the roster:

It now appears O'Connor was never seriously in the QB mix. It's possible MBT, with Arbuckle basically given the starting role, knew he would probably have to accept the backup role. This may have played into his not signing. Interestingly both Pipkin and Bryant are big mobile QB's and could be used in 3rd and short plays and perhaps used as a change of pace QB like Winnipeg did in 2019.

The starting 7 Canadians will likely include 4 on the OL, WR Brescacin and DB Colquhoun. If the teams signs either Judge or Muamba, that should be the starting 7 Canadians. If the team doesn't sign either, they could decide to play one of the incumbent Canadian LB's or play one of Noel, Brissett or Gittens at receiver. Time will tell.

The team has signed 15 American DB's most of whom are over 6' and 200 lbs. Perhaps one of them could play as a 6th DB but as a hybrid DB/LB. Sample, Tyson or Merriweather look like good candidates. Sample was drafted in the 4th round and Tyson in the 6th. Merriweather was the IFL Defensive Player of the year. He tackles like LB

Cross is the only listed FB on the roster but rookie Pellerin is listed as a RB and has the size ( 5' 11" and 225 lbs.) to play FB. If he shows he can block at this level, he has a good chance to make the team as the backup to Cross.

With 4 American RB's already on the roster, it was interesting that the team signed White. In no way to denigrate White as he is an excellent player but Williams 5th round pick/ Dixon 4th round pick and Sankey 2nd round pick as well as Ouellette who impressed when he played late in the 2019 season are all in their 20's and would appear to have huge potential. Will be an interesting training camp.

As stated these are just subjective and random thoughts about the team and recent changes. Feel free to disagree. Look forward to any comments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post

It now appears O'Connor was never seriously in the QB mix.
    Signing O’Connor made much more sense when Nichols was going to be the starter. Nichols was only going to be around for another season or two, and it made sense to groom a talented guy like MOC to replace him.

But signing Arbuckle changed that succession scenario. Arby was brought here to be the QB of the present and maybe the future too. MOC’s path to becoming a starter with the Argos suddenly became a lot less certain, so it made more sense for him to move to a team that had an older established QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Signing O’Connor made much more sense when Nichols was going to be the starter. Nichols was only going to be around for another season or two, and it made sense to groom a talented guy like MOC to replace him.

But signing Arbuckle changed that succession scenario. Arby was brought here to be the QB of the present and maybe the future too. MOC’s path to becoming a starter with the Argos suddenly became a lot less certain, so it made more sense for him to move to a team that had an older established QB.
    Would have been interesting to hear any talks with O'Connor about his Argo prospects; agreed that if Nichols was anointed starter, then would make sense for both the team and MOC to stick around behind a veteran who might only be around a couple of more seasons. But a younger guy like Arbuckle who is going to be just handed the QB job, then MOC is better to look elsewhere for a better opportunity. Be a different story if Dinwiddie had looked him in the eye and said our #1 QB job is up for grabs and we like you in the mix, you'll get an honest shot to compete... but we know that would not happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Some random thoughts about the Argo roster and recent changes to the roster:

It now appears O'Connor was never seriously in the QB mix. It's possible MBT, with Arbuckle basically given the starting role, knew he would probably have to accept the backup role. This may have played into his not signing. Interestingly both Pipkin and Bryant are big mobile QB's and could be used in 3rd and short plays and perhaps used as a change of pace QB like Winnipeg did in 2019.

The starting 7 Canadians will likely include 4 on the OL, WR Brescacin and DB Colquhoun. If the teams signs either Judge or Muamba, that should be the starting 7 Canadians. If the team doesn't sign either, they could decide to play one of the incumbent Canadian LB's or play one of Noel, Brissett or Gittens at receiver. Time will tell.

The team has signed 15 American DB's most of whom are over 6' and 200 lbs. Perhaps one of them could play as a 6th DB but as a hybrid DB/LB. Sample, Tyson or Merriweather look like good candidates. Sample was drafted in the 4th round and Tyson in the 6th. Merriweather was the IFL Defensive Player of the year. He tackles like LB

Cross is the only listed FB on the roster but rookie Pellerin is listed as a RB and has the size ( 5' 11" and 225 lbs.) to play FB. If he shows he can block at this level, he has a good chance to make the team as the backup to Cross.

With 4 American RB's already on the roster, it was interesting that the team signed White. In no way to denigrate White as he is an excellent player but Williams 5th round pick/ Dixon 4th round pick and Sankey 2nd round pick as well as Ouellette who impressed when he played late in the 2019 season are all in their 20's and would appear to have huge potential. Will be an interesting training camp.

As stated these are just subjective and random thoughts about the team and recent changes. Feel free to disagree. Look forward to any comments.

Regards to 7 only need apply: could be 4 O-Linemen + a receiver, + 2 on D; could also see them going 2 import OTs, so then 3 interior O-line + 2 receivers, then still need 2 on D. For defence - Colquhon a likely starter at corner, but Woodson could easily start at D-half IMO, if not for GOB bias & pencilling-in; too bad Ackie or Lokombo did not want to sign here; Shortill can play W-OLB though, but Judge would likely get the job if signed; Henoc Muamba is a top notch MLB and a couple of years younger than Bear Woods i believe, but might be looking for top dollar from the highest bidder - the Ticats should shell out there, IMO, but don't know if they have the brains to do so. Could still think of drafting a top safety prospect from a bunch of candidates from the upcoming draft, and give the kid a shot at the job, but very doubtful there (Paul Bennett where are you ;o) ); young import DBs who have little clue about playing safety in Canadian ball are not a good idea, IMO (don't care how impressive their NCAA / NFL draft resume is) - maybe Darby could go to safety but he is also good for D-half or maybe S-OLB ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    I expect three NATs on the o-line, two at receiver, and two on defence altho I'd prefer three (Woodson, Colquhoun and a LB) for maximum flexibility. I don't know that we have four NAT o-linemen capable of playing at the level required these days against ferocious pass rushes. If Simba and/or Richards are able to advance into a starting role, that would be fantastic. At the moment I'd say the starters are Campbell at RT, Bladek at G and Blake or Speller at C.

I'm still not over letting O'Connor leave. All the justifications (he doesn't want to be behind a guy around the same age, he wants to learn under Dickenson, etc.) make sense, but it's really going to grind when MOC develops into a guy who plays regularly in this league, as I think he will.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Arby was brought here to be the QB of the present and maybe the future too. MOC’s path to becoming a starter with the Argos suddenly became a lot less certain, so it made more sense for him to move to a team that had an older established QB.
    The fact that Arbuckle only signed a 1 year contract makes this a gamble. O'Connor should have been signed to an extension as soon as he was eligible to have been signed to one. I think the Argos erred on this one.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level

You have a point there. Maybe also Dinwiddie wants a QB who can roll out some instead of sitting in the pocket like Nichols and O'Connor. The two signed back ups have similar talents, at least the roll out one.
    John Murphy on the Rod Peterson Show used his Irish blarney to say a lot with out saying much. Kind of ran the clock out talking about his past time in Saskatchewan.
    I like a roll out QB in the CFL and with this untested offensive line that may be a good thing until they jell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I expect three NATs on the o-line, two at receiver, and two on defence altho I'd prefer three (Woodson, Colquhoun and a LB) for maximum flexibility. I don't know that we have four NAT o-linemen capable of playing at the level required these days against ferocious pass rushes. If Simba and/or Richards are able to advance into a starting role, that would be fantastic. At the moment I'd say the starters are Campbell at RT, Bladek at G and Blake or Speller at C.

I'm still not over letting O'Connor leave. All the justifications (he doesn't want to be behind a guy around the same age, he wants to learn under Dickenson, etc.) make sense, but it's really going to grind when MOC develops into a guy who plays regularly in this league, as I think he will.
    Wouldn’t be the first time the Argos let a good young QB prospect get away.
    Hopefully one of Pipkin or Bryant turns out to be a keeper.
    Last edited by Argo57; 02-11-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    FWIW, Frank Zicarelli is reporting the Argos are ready to anti up to sign LB Cameron Judge if he fails to catch on with an NFL team.
    Would love to see this happen.

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/argos-hoping-potential-judge-ment-day-pays-off-in-a-big-way
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Add another ex-NFLer - and 1st rounder to boot - receiver Kendall Wright - NFL 1000 yard season. 31 years old. So him and M. Bryant = 2 ex-NFL impact receivers to go along with ex-Stamps Rogers & Daniels = 2 impact CFL receivers. Wow ... on paper anyways.

Willis makes little to zero sense; over-rated , ego-head - Hughes & Law are way better.

I getting the sense Murphy is in love with the idea he's this big time wheeler-dealer who's going to make all these wonderful splashy moves. I guess all these ex-NFLer signings are coming in at not much more than CFL minimum wage ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Willis makes little to zero sense; over-rated , ego-head - Hughes & Law are way better.
    It does provide competition for TC. In addition to Hughes (37) and Law (32), the Argos signed former NFLer Eli Harold, who is 27. Willis is 36. In addition to that the Argos may be taking age into account in that all, except Harold, are over 30, and may need to alternate in and out more, as well as be more likely to wear down or be injured as the season progresses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Some of today's signings seem like a bit of a shot in the dark. Wright, even though he was 1st round choice, is 31 and hasn't played in 3 years. Davis, a 6th round choice only made 5 receptions in his 5 year career in the NFL. The sleeper may well be LB Jordon. At 6'3" and 225 lbs, he is athletically freakish. Having run a 13.47 110H and competed in the USA Olympic Trials, he is also reported to have run a 4.22 40 at a combine, He is 27 and is still raw as a football player and only time will tell if he can convert his obvious size and abilities to success on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level