Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Oakman sounds interesting... maybe in a good way. I guess we'll find out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    Too bad they couldn't have a mini camp down in Florida to sort all these new signings out. Murphy's down in New Orleans isn't he.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Did i read somewhere recently that upcoming TCs are going to allow `100+ players ?

Probably going to be a huge majority of American players for most of CFL teams' TC rosters - tons of signings by Murphy & the Argos and lots of ex-NFL guys signing all over the league - guess they still want to play football and for CFL wage. Murphy did not manage to keep Ackie, Lokombo, Adjei, O"Connor, Cibasu though; might not have to cut any NI players listed on the roster now.

Montreal with Maciocia have signed a lot of Quebec guys and former top Q players though.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-15-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Am I the only one that is concerned about the Oakman signing? That whole Baylor scene was not good, and if I’m not mistaken (it’s been a while since I read the articles about the Baylor and Briles mess) Oakman was one of the main people in that scandal.

Maybe I’m wrong, and/or have my facts wrong. I find it strange that Biles was not welcomed to the league, and asked to leave, but one of the players in that situation is wearing double blue. I just have a hard time stomaching that. Hopefully I’m wrong in all of this.

And I’m all about second chances. Nobody has blown through them more than me, but this is still not a good look.

I really do hope that my memory has this all wrong.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    FWIW, Oakman was found not guilty of the charges.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    Am I the only one that is concerned about the Oakman signing? That whole Baylor scene was not good, and if I’m not mistaken (it’s been a while since I read the articles about the Baylor and Briles mess) Oakman was one of the main people in that scandal.

Maybe I’m wrong, and/or have my facts wrong. I find it strange that Biles was not welcomed to the league, and asked to leave, but one of the players in that situation is wearing double blue. I just have a hard time stomaching that. Hopefully I’m wrong in all of this.

And I’m all about second chances. Nobody has blown through them more than me, but this is still not a good look.

I really do hope that my memory has this all wrong.
    The Baylor University sexual assault scandal and coverup had many players and university officials involved, but on the wikipedia website about the scandal with many players involved but Oakman managed to earn four paragraphs in the article. "A former Baylor volleyball player who said the school mishandled her complaint of having been gang-raped by up to eight Bears football players in 2012 and that the university allowed a "rape culture" to persist within the football program has settled her Title IX lawsuit against the school, according to a notice filed in the case Friday. ...

Penn State University

Oakman was redshirted as a true freshman at PSU in 2011. In February 2012, Oakman was dismissed from Penn State for violation of team rules.[3] On Monday, May 13, 2012, after multiple messages by head coach Bill O'Brien, he was told that he was dismissed from the Nittany Lions football team. He transferred to Baylor University in July 2012.[4]
    Baylor University[edit]

As per NCAA transfer rules, Oakman took the entire 2012 season off. Oakman played in 13 games as a backup defensive end in 2013. He recorded 33 tackles and two sacks. In his first year as a starter, Oakman had a breakout season in 2014. He finished the season with 25.5 tackles for loss and 11.0 sacks. He earned third-team All-America honors from the Associated Press and was a consensus All-Big 12 selection.[5][6] Oakman was projected by some analysts and scouts to be a first round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.[7][8] Instead of declaring for the draft, he decided to return to Baylor for his senior season.[9] In 2015, Oakman was not able to match his successful 2014 season. He recorded only 4.5 sacks in 2015. ...

Personal life

Oakman was named in a January 2013 Waco police incident report alleging he physically assaulted a woman. According to the report, Oakman grabbed the alleged victim under her armpits and shoved her into brick walls and cabinets at her South Waco apartment. The alleged incident was about six months after Oakman enrolled at Baylor after being kicked off the football team at Penn State University for physically assaulting a female cashier who reportedly tried to stop him from stealing food from a campus store.[29][30]
    On April 13, 2016, Oakman was arrested in Waco and charged after a woman accused him of sexual assault. According to a police affidavit, Oakman met the accuser at a bar and asked if she wanted to go to his off-campus residence. They walked to Oakman's duplex where, according to the woman, he forced her into a bedroom, forcibly removed her clothes, forced her onto the bed, and sexually assaulted her.[31] On July 20, 2016, a grand jury in McLennan County indicted Oakman on charges of second-degree felony sexual assault.[32] The trial of the case began February 26, 2019. On February 28, 2019, after the jury deliberated for 45 minutes, Oakman was found not guilty of sexual assault. The jury cited evidence for consensual sex and the lack of incriminating evidence for their decision
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Oakman

The Baylor University sexual assault scandal was the result of numerous allegations of and convictions for sexual and non-sexual assaults committed by Baylor University students, mostly players in the Baylor Bears football team, during the early-to-mid 2010s. In 2016, Baylor's football team came under fire when it was revealed university officials had failed to take action regarding the alleged rapes and assaults. The scandal led to the ouster of head football coach Art Briles, the demotion and eventual resignation of Baylor president Ken Starr, the resignation of athletic director Ian McCaw, and the firing of two others connected with the football program.[1] It also led to the resignation of Baylor's Title IX Coordinator, Patty Crawford. ...

In a 2017 lawsuit, victims suing the university alleged that from 2011 to 2014 at least 31 football players committed at least 52 rapes.
    Shawn Oakman[edit]

In February 2012, Shawn Oakman was dismissed from the Penn State Nittany Lions football team for a violation of team rules for stealing a sandwich and, while demanding the return of his identification card, for grabbing the wrist of the clerk who took it.[28] In 2013, Oakman had been previously accused of assaulting an ex-girlfriend but no charges were pressed, which led to Oakman not being disciplined by Baylor. It is unclear if Baylor knew of the incident.[29]
    A woman reported an assault that happened early Sunday morning of April 3, 2016, according to a Waco police affidavit. The woman told police she met Oakman at a nightclub and walked with him to his apartment, where she said Oakman forcibly removed her clothing and sexually assaulted her. ...
    On July 20, 2016, Oakman was indicted by a grand jury on charges of second-degree felony sexual assault. Oakman, once considered a potential second- or third-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft, went undrafted after his arrest. The trial was initially slated for December 2018.[31][32] However, it didn't begin until February 26 of the following year.
    On February 28, 2019, Oakman was found not guilty of sexual assault.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...ssault_scandal

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level
    With all the big signings I'm wondering if we're seeing a CFL version of the FA roster stacking we often see in the NBA, where a bunch of FAs all decide to sign with the same team, always in a desirable city. We've seen it with Miami and the Lakers and Golden State and this year Brooklyn. And we saw something similar with the Super Bowl champ Buccaneers this year too.

They all say it's because they want to win a championship, but what they don't say is it also takes the pressure off each of them individually.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    FWIW, Oakman was found not guilty of the charges.
    Good enough for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;152530]Did i read somewhere recently that upcoming TCs are going to allow `100+ players ?

Probably going to be a huge majority of American players for most of CFL teams' TC rosters - tons of signings by Murphy & the Argos and lots of ex-NFL guys signing all over the league - guess they still want to play football and for CFL wage. Murphy did not manage to keep Ackie, Lokombo, Adjei, O"Connor, Cibasu though; might not have to cut any NI players listed on the roster now.

I haven't seen anything about that, but it would make sense seeing the circumstances this year. I count 96 players on the roster at the moment. Should be another 10 from the Global and CFL drafts. So unless there are some more cuts could we see at least 110 players at TC. I would think maybe there are a few more line backers and maybe one or two more QB's on the way. Mike Hogan did a piece on a LB named Fehr whose stats sounded good.
    Two players cut earlier LB Atkins and WR Blumenthal were a couple that seem to have some potential. Maybe they wanted to pursue other opportunities, as the saying goes

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I haven't seen anything about that, but it would make sense seeing the circumstances this year. I count 96 players on the roster at the moment. Should be another 10 from the Global and CFL drafts. So unless there are some more cuts could we see at least 110 players at TC. I would think maybe there are a few more line backers and maybe one or two more QB's on the way. Mike Hogan did a piece on a LB named Fehr whose stats sounded good.
    Two players cut earlier LB Atkins and WR Blumenthal were a couple that seem to have some potential. Maybe they wanted to pursue other opportunities, as the saying goes
    I honestly can't see more than 80 in camp. There is a good chance that length of camp will be reduced, and no pre season games. Teams will likely have an idea of who they really want in camp and will eventually weed some out.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Farhan Lalji says he would be surprised if one of the big name Argo signings is not cut before the regular season because of budget considerations. I agree.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/19/f...didnt-get-cut/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Lalji is stating the obvious. At RB the team has 5 high profile pro experienced players. At DE it has 3 excellent CFL veterans and 2 NFL veterans. At WR there are 3 highly regarded veteran CFL players and 3 experienced NFL vets. That is not taking into account the young promising players who have been signed and who will be fighting for a place on the team.

It will be somewhat surprising if there wasn't a big name released, even before training camp.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Chandler Worthy will need a big camp.

Hope he catches on somewhere in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post

A big camp would obviously increase his chances of making the team, but so would a smaller contract than some of the bigger names. If he's relatively close to one of them, performance-wise, he could win a spot based on having a more favourable impact on the overall salary budget.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It will be somewhat surprising if there wasn't a big name released, even before training camp.
    Seems to me that this happens pretty well every year. "Name" players get released before and during camp. That's SOP in a salary-cap sport with no guaranteed contracts.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post

You have the poor guy cut in February?

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    You have the poor guy cut in February?
    Rogers and Bryant are the only significant pieces added to that receiving corps in the last month. I wouldn't say his chances are reduced significantly.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Rogers and Bryant are the only significant pieces added to that receiving corps in the last month. I wouldn't say his chances are reduced significantly.
    I would add Kendall Wright and Sinkfield to the list of possible significant pieces. Sinkfield will be his biggest challenge because of his ability to return kicks.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I would add Kendall Wright and Sinkfield to the list of possible significant pieces. Sinkfield will be his biggest challenge because of his ability to return kicks.
    We do need a returner for sure -- my only hesitation with Sinkfield is that his 1000 yard season came in 2015 and that he's bounced around since that time. Can he get back to that level of production?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos add former 2nd Round NFL pick Kony Ealy and OL Blake Camper

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/02/22/...-blake-camper/