Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Do the Argos have the best Canadian talent in the CFL?

A recent article on the Bomber website challenges the statement that the Argos have the best Canadian talent in the CFL. To start things off here is a Winnipeg article challenge this assertion. What do you think?

It’s with that in mind that we open this week’s First & 10, and after reading a piece earlier this week at 3Down Nation in which an anonymous insider suggested the Toronto Argonauts ‘have the best Canadian talent in the league.’ ...

It also got me thinking about the Bombers’ Canadian talent and how it stacks up against the rest of the league – especially as we look at the seven homegrown starters. So yours truly checked in with some colleagues/media friends from across the league for their best guess on the projected Canadian starters with the teams they work for/cover.

We’ll start, naturally, with the Bombers for the purpose of comparison. The projected Canadian starters, as of now, would likely be: RB Andrew Harris, Left guard Drew Desjarlais, Centre Michael Couture, Right guard Pat Neufeld, Slotback Nic Demski, Wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky, Defensive tackle Jake Thomas. ...

After checking in with colleagues around the league, here are the projected Canadian starters on the rest of the CFL teams:

B.C. Lions OL Sukh Chungh, Hunter Steward, Peter Godber; receivers Lemar Durant, Shaq Johnson; LB Bo Lokombo. Seventh starter: linebacker – possibly Jordan Williams, Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Adam Konar. Also, receiver Jevon Cottoy, who opted out of his contract last August, is a possibility.

Edmonton Football Team OL David Beard, Jacob Ruby, Kyle Saxelid; receivers Tevaun Smith, Mike Jones; DE Kwaku Boateng and safety Jordan Hoover.

Calgary Stampeders OL Ryan Sceviour, Sean McEwen, Justin Lawrence; receiver Hergy Mayala; LB Cory Greenwood; S Royce Metchie; DL Derek Wiggan.

Saskatchewan Roughriders OL Brendan LaBatte, Dan Clark, Evan Johnson; DT Mak Henry; S Mike Edem; receiver Justin Mcinnes. Seventh starter: possibly LB Jordan Herdman-Reed or receiver Brayden Lenius.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats OL Darius Ciraco, Chris Van Zeyl, Brandon Revenberg; DT Ted Laurent; S Tunde Adeleke. Other starter possibilities: RB Sean Thomas-Erlington, WR David Ungerer III; OL Jesse Gibbon, Coulter Woodsmansey and Kay Okafur or a Canadian at DE (possibly Mason Bennett of Winnipeg).

Toronto Argonauts OL Phillip Blake, Dariusz Bladek, Cody Speller, Jamal Campbell; receiver Juwan Brescacin; LB Cam Judge; DB Arjen Colquhoun. Also possibility of Dejon Brissett, Kurleigh Gittens Jr. and Llevi Noel battling for a second Canadian starting receiver spot.

Ottawa RedBlacks OL Nolan MacMillan, Alex Mateas, Mark Korte; receivers Brad Sinopoli, Anthony Coombs; DL Cleyon Laing; S Antoine Pruneau. Also, former Bomber Daniel Petermann is in the mix to possibly start, along with DL Stefan Charles.

Montreal Alouette OL Jason Lauzon-Seguin, Sean Jamieson, Kristian Matte, Philippe Gagnon; receiver Natey Adjei; LB Chris Ackie; S Marc-Antoine Dequoy.

For what it’s worth, I do get the ‘insider’s’ take on the Argos Canadian talent, as they have made moves to upgrade with the additions of Brescacin, Judge, Speller and Bladek last year in free agency. Still, from this admittedly-biased viewpoint the Bombers’ Canadian starters rank right there with the best in the league.
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/03/...-10-chat-zach/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I think that this article is a little short-sighted. “Top Canadian Talent” is about more than just the 7 starters. The measure is, or should be, about the depth. The Argos have done a great job at filling the roster with non-imports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    I think that this article is a little short-sighted. “Top Canadian Talent” is about more than just the 7 starters. The measure is, or should be, about the depth. The Argos have done a great job at filling the roster with non-imports.
    Agreed !

The author shows not much knowledge of that depth or potential strong new Canadian players, who may emerge - from the past couple of draft classes, plus the new one. Guess this guy hasn't heard of Argo DB Robert Woodson who started some and was very strong on D last season?

Most of these commentators have been conditioned, like trained seals, to believe in the 7 only need apply B$

Not sure who I'd pick now for best overall Canadian talent on the roster in the CFL now? I think the Argos could be rated up there; with the Ticats and Als (probably rate the Als #1 if i had to pick just one); the Bombers would not be near the top of the list IMO - outside of a stud RB in Harris, and a few O-linemen and a couple of receivers - they seem to have little faith in Canadians playing D for them; but I guess we shall see for all teams for next season ?
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-07-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    To be fair to the writer of the above article, Ed Tait, I'm sure he was limited in the space he had available to write and so focused on starters, although he does mention alternative possible starters for a number of cases. I didn't have the sense that he was trying to say the starters by themselves would determine the success of the team. It would have been better if he had identified who were the best special team players, but I saw his as attempt, biased as it was by his Winnipeg leanings to give some basic description of the impact of Canadian talent on the competitive level of teams. A detailed analysis of all the strengths and weaknesses of the Canadian talent on each team, whether right or wrong, was going to have to have been much longer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Aside from "potential" (young guys who might emerge, top rated draft picks) and back-up and special teamer depth, there could be some sort of analysis of which teams have the most Canadian players who have actually played significant CFL reps, on O or D, (and looked good or solid), plus kicking talent.

For example, with the Argos D - i count 7 guys on D (Robbie Smith, Fabion Foote at D-line; Judge, Shortill, Kwemo at LB; Colquhon, Woodson in the D-backfield) - compared to say the Bombers with one (DL Jake Thomas).

Argos offence: Blake, Campbell, Speller & Bladek on the O-line; Brescacin, Noel at receiver and Cross at H-back; the Bummers can counter with 2 RBs; 3 to 4 O-linemen, and 2 receivers.

Net affect = the Argos have a decided edge.

The EE Schmoes are interesting on this file: 3 O-linemen (and a 4th if they can re-sign vet O'Donnell, but hearing he might go to the Stumps); 4 vet receivers (T. Smith = good rookie season; plus Mike Jones, Anthony Parker & Jimmy Ralph - no way they keep all 4 though); ex-Argo Alex Dupuis at H-back; and on D - Kwaku Boateng, plus DBs Jermaine Gabriel and Jordan Hoover; and 2 solid Canadian kickers in O'Neill & Whyte
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-11-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos just moved up another notch with the addition of Henoc Muamba - what a 1-2 punch at LB with him and Judge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos just moved up another notch with the addition of Henoc Muamba - what a 1-2 punch at LB with him and Judge.
    It certainly puts the Argos at the top or next to the top of list of teams with good Canadian talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Love to see both Colquhon & Woodson get a real shot to start in the D-backfield to go with Muamba & Judge at linebacker.

Theoretically, could then go with just 3 NIs starting on offence (though I believe Brescacin + 3 interior O-linemen could be pencilled-in for offence ?; and the likes of Noel, Gittens and Brissett should gets shots at receiver plus the possibility of a NI at OT) = should be zero "ratio problem" with this Argo line-up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Love to see both Colquhon & Woodson get a real shot to start in the D-backfield to go with Muamba & Judge at linebacker.
    Couldn't agree more. Pretty sure I have made my feelings about how good I think Woodson is known.
    It's us vs the rest of the country