Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    As for why the XFL would provide financial stability, without knowing what's in store it's impossible to say whether it would or would not work. But there is zero doubt in my mind that the CFL has to do something to change a dying business model. I say this with sadness but (IMO) realism. The league as we know it, in nine cities including Toronto, cannot become successful enough to stay in business much longer unless it finds new sources of revenue, or finds a way to dramatically slash costs (and the latter would mitigate against the former, probably). Partnering with another league, however new and unproven that league might be, is not on its face either a good idea or a bad idea. It's what the partnership looks like that matters, and we don't yet know. But we do know that Dwayne Johnson has an online presence that reaches eons beyond what the CFL has ever had on its own. We all seem to agree that the CFL needs to attract more paying customers -- if a guy like Johnson can get some of those for it, that's worth looking at.
    Have a listen to Chris Cuthbert's interview.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/rintoul...ter-blueprint/

Agree with you, they need to find other sources of revenue. So why did the CFL not accept the invitation to be there with the House of Commons committee around Bill C-218? Everyone has been talking about how much of a positive financial impact it would be to have sports betting in Canada.

Also, he calls out that the league still hasn't looked at a revenue sharing model.

CFL 2.0 is supposed to bring in TV revenue, and understanding the pandemic impacted that, this is still something that can generate revenue. There was a lot of progress with this initiative, but like has been the case with Ambrosie, start something, don't finish it, and move on to the next shiny penny.

Also, social media followers does not guarantee people will be in the stands. Sure it's a nice to have.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    [/QUOTE]Agree with you, they need to find other sources of revenue. So why did the CFL not accept the invitation to be there with the House of Commons committee around Bill C-218? Everyone has been talking about how much of a positive financial impact it would be to have sports betting in Canada.

Also, he calls out that the league still hasn't looked at a revenue sharing model.

CFL 2.0 is supposed to bring in TV revenue, and understanding the pandemic impacted that, this is still something that can generate revenue. There was a lot of progress with this initiative, but like has been the case with Ambrosie, start something, don't finish it, and move on to the next shiny penny.

Also, social media followers does not guarantee people will be in the stands. Sure it's a nice to have.[/QUOTE]

“The government has had a justice committee reviewing a bill that would allow sports betting and the CFL elected not to accept the invitation to be there in committee. Now I’m told that they are filing off their views on it, I thought that was a missed opportunity,” Cuthbert said.

I don't get this. Single game betting is a lifeline for the CFL. I don't know politics but should they not have a voice everywhere they can?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this just seems like another example of how poorly the league is managed.