Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

CFL/XFL Collaboration

*Whoops* stupid auto correct. Please change to CFL/XFL Collaboration.

Holy moly, big news. The two leagues have entered formal discussions and the XFL has put their 2022 plans on hold, pending outcome of their CFL discussions. Analysts and insiders are getting the sense that this may involve inter-league play.

I've been considering this for a while without really thinking there was ever a chance. With lots of qualifications (rules, schedules, salaries, etc) I think inter league play between two independent leagues would be a great idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Somebody over on the Riders site mentioned that the CFL team could play down south early in the season. Maybe something like a home and home type thing over all. CFL play XFL rules when they visit the XFL cities, and teams would play CFL rules when the XFL teams play a return game in Canada in May. Games count in their respective standings. CFL teams could be allowed to play all their Americans on their 45 man roster when playing XFL teams. I believe the XFL season ends in late June or early July, while the CFL season would continue on past Thanksgiving. Playing two games against XFL teams could create more interest on both sides of the border for the CFL. Got to try something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Do I dare get my Memphis Maniax shirt out of the closet? Will it still fit???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This entire thing is embarrassing. Ambrosie plans a press release to say basically nothing. I've defended him in the past, but now I am tiring of him at a rapid pace. I don't see how planning to partner up in any way with a league that has died twice can be beneficial in any way. That entire league was sold for less than the annual operating costs of 1 team in the CFL.

And to no ones surprise, Ambrisie made this announcement while not consulting with the PA. This stooge needs to be shown the door.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    XFL would do well as a 3 down league and the longer / wider field imo.

Also where the Canadian Football League would never be accepted south of the border an alternatively named league with the same rules just might. Again imo.

A fair arrangement with the players at 50% of revenues would also solve a lot of issues
    Just remember, there aren't a lot of football stadiums in the US that can fit a Canadian field. The stadiums are built to accommodate their field and get the seats as close as possible to the field. I say there is no way the XFL would ever play with our rules.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This entire thing is embarrassing. Ambrosie plans a press release to say basically nothing. I've defended him in the past, but now I am tiring of him at a rapid pace. I don't see how planning to partner up in any way with a league that has died twice can be beneficial in any way. That entire league was sold for less than the annual operating costs of 1 team in the CFL.

And to no ones surprise, Ambrisie made this announcement while not consulting with the PA. This stooge needs to be shown the door.
    I’ve never been impressed with Ambrosie at all.
    He has created more division and mistrust between the owners and PA during his tenure.
    Talks a lot and says nothing of substance or value, his performance and lack of preparation when asking the government for a subsidy last year was beyond embarrassing.
    Your last sentence says it all, this goof has zero respect for CFL players who in turn have zero respect for him.
    The guy is a total train wreck.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/10/c...-announcement/
    Last edited by Argo57; 03-10-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Just remember, there aren't a lot of football stadiums in the US that can fit a Canadian field. The stadiums are built to accommodate their field and get the seats as close as possible to the field. I say there is no way the XFL would ever play with our rules.
    IMO most US fans can't get their head around the 3 down thing. Some other current CFL rules they might be ok with. Just have to look at their acceptance of some of the quirky XFL rules. But I think the bottom line here for the CFL is MONEY. The old saying, money talks. Wouldn't be surprised if MLSE is driving the bus now. Isn't "No Body" Junior now the CFL Governor?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My initial reaction is that yes, a straight merger would be a threat to the Canadian rules, the Canadian game and the historical greatness which needs not be explained here.

This isn't anything to worry about though. Nothing concrete has been mentioned whatsoever.

There are positive opportunities that could stem from talks like this. They could come up with a program to better define movement of players between leagues. This could potentially help with development and contract stability. Potentially.

Another possibility is the creation of something similar to the Champions League, where teams from both leagues would have to qualify. A Canada vs USA angle could bring more interest to the CFL.

I think we should just wait and see. I don't believe this is automatically a bad move.
    Last edited by "Issues"Mcgee; 03-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Bang-on AV !!!

The CFL is trying to recover from a lost season and hopefully get back on track with more interest and moving forward (10th team in Atlantic Canada should be a goal that is stressed, while reviving interest in Toronto & BC).

They needed this joke / fiasco like a hole in the head. Ambrosie is a total @$$-hat IMO - an embarassment is right.

But hey, it it's all about money, why not sell the CFL to The Rock (/ whatever clowns), and let him do as he pleases - merge the 2 leagues, go to 4 downs and other American rules, and get rid of Canadian players (they wouldn't even rate a try-out from the new, improved GOB club). BTW - how much money would all CFL ownership groups put together have? - less than The Rock i guess ?

Amazing some of the comments i am reading elsehwere on this topic though - the usual suspects who would think nothing of getting rid of Canadian content or rules in a new, improved (to them) CFL; makes me want to puke.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level

He is exactly what the league management wanted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    He is exactly what the league management wanted.
    That's probably the very sad truth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no idea where this is going. But a large portion of the media automatically assumed it's a merger and CDN rules are gone. Obviously they're going for tweets and click bait.
    The CFL is in a bad spot financially, and in part because of the Feds and provinces complete pandemic and vaccine screw ups that have us way behind.
    The CFL has it's long history and credibility. The XFL has rich owners but a history of failed leagues to overcome. My take the CFL wants to increase cash flow and the XFL wants more credibility. Maybe some shared resources and possibly games between the two are in the future.
    Maybe the CFL is using this as leverage to get some federal funding, or perhaps get TSN to pony up more or get games on CTV.
    I think the CFL needs to get through the season with minimal losses and plan for the future. I think single game betting will be a huge benefit financially and and increase fan engagement and new fans. The way the governments have been throwing pandemic money out they're not going to pass on this cash cow!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Have a listen to DT's podcast with Ambrosie. DT and Clayton make reference to Tim Horton's now being Brazilian (not Canadian), and DT basically asks whether the Canadian aspect will be protected. Ambrosie gives a long winded BS answer. He keeps using the same story/concept (and has said it over the years now, I believe it's the same concept prior to the 2.0 initiative which I do support) about kids that don't go to games. He was trying to use this to minimize the Canadian Ratio, which he got killed for.

He's so concerned about kids that don't go to games, but doesn't see all the kids and people that go to games. We collaborate with folks in the Argos office, as we bring groups of friends who bring their kids, as well as people that have never been to a game. They always ask about going to more games, espcially the kids. Just seems like he's getting lazy to put in the work.

Compare that to Jim Mullin - he's putting in the work to grow the game from the grass roots level, he's leading discussions, but shouldn't the CFL be more of a leader? Mullin is recognizing you have to grow the game to grow the interest. Was always open before to giving Ambrosie a chance, but I think it's time to move on. Rather have someone like Mullin who is willing to put in the effort.

Also, what happened to being proud of the CFL? That the CFL is the second largest league? How great our game is? Where was that today?

Also, if the league is strapped for cash, what happened waiting for the betting bill that looks like it may get passed? Also, going back to an old rumour, MLSE has comparable financial resources, so you may as well have them take over the league.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/2020/10/01/football-canada-to-stage-summit-with-the-aim-of-helping-grow-the-game-nationally/

https://c1-blue.futuripost.com/ckrm/...sc_ref=twitter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Whenever a major initiative is undertaken or even explored, there should be two priorities--First, a clear understanding by all parties as to the purpose or goal to be achieved by the initiative and second, key participants have to be involved early to get their buy in. We have absolutely no idea of the purpose of this initiative and the key individuals affected (the players) were, it appears, not even informed much less consulted. This smacks of the same level of incompetency that Ambrosie demonstrated in his disastrous efforts to acquire government funding.

Is this to help the league financially? Is it to gain some sense of acceptance by American fans? Is it to create a new league altogether? Is it to have some type of player sharing? Is it just to create media interest and excitement for the CFL?

This is not to imply, some form of co-operation between the CFL and XFL couldn't be a potential benefit for our league but it will require sound leadership, diplomacy and foresight. So far Ambrosie has not demonstrated he has those talents and skills. I agree with OV that the prime concern of the league should be recovering from a lost season and moving forward with a 10th team in Atlantic Canada.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Ambrose seems to jump out in front of everyone again. I can't see this working to any significant extent. Even players playing in the two leagues in separate seasons is hard to see on an ongoing basis because the players bodies would not get time to recover from the brutal nature of football if this was done repeatedly. The different types of ownership would be a major stumbling block to any deep cooperation. Many Americans never give a thought about anything in Canada, let alone Canadian football, so trying to generate interest in Canadian teams playing American teams in the US would be a steep mountain to climb. Furthermore, how long before there would be demands to reduce the number of Canadians playing if the leagues got involved in interlocking schedules?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Judging by what's been written in this thread, this won't be a popular take. I think many (if not the vast majority of) fans do not realize just how dire the CFL's financial situation is. The current business model is broken, maybe irreparably. What the league (and let's be clear, Ambrosie is not doing this on his own) is doing is looking for a way to make the business sustainable. Whether they can find that through talks with the XFL remains to be seen, but at least they are looking. The alternative -- continue with the status quo -- will almost certainly result in the eventual death of the CFL, IMO.

As for not informing the players, while I fervently believe in the concept of co-operating with your partners, you also have to trust them to keep their mouths shut until you are ready to go public with something. I'm betting the league (again, not just Ambrosie) does not have such trust in the PA.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    There's no harm in talking, but what's the upside for the CFL? I can't see the XFL getting a lucrative broadcast deal. None of the other recent spring leagues have.

The 1990s American expansion was difficult enough. The idea of two leagues playing games against each other despite using different rules and starting their seasons months apart sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Tread carefully, CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    The best things right now is to keep an open mind. More years and more specifically months now, people have been saying the league needs to change their business model and Covid-19 likely accelerated this.

Nothing wrong with talking and the fact they have been in conversations for months informally suggests the parties like what they have seen. I have no problem with how Ambroise presented it. Time to let people know serious talks are now in the works and they have.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    There's no harm in talking, but what's the upside for the CFL?
    sadly there are probably enough football fans in this country who look down on the CFL, but who will embrace the big shiny thrill of playing against American cities that this just might have a hope of working.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Anything that might increase revenue potential would be considered to have an upside, IMO. Whether any arrangement with the XFL would do that remains to be seen, but the league absolutely needs to search for ways to become profitable across all franchises, not just a few.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7