Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

2021 Global Draft and the Argos

The participants for the April 15th Global Draft has been released. Several players with NCAA and CIS experience. Unsure how many rounds the draft consists of but I think the team can upgrade on its Global Talent from 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The participants for the April 15th Global Draft has been released. Several players with NCAA and CIS experience. Unsure how many rounds the draft consists of but I think the team can upgrade on its Global Talent from 2019.
    That should be relatively easy; our two INTs barely got on the field.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes there should be some better players available in this years Global Draft because of the NCAA players included. Looking at the OL list there are a couple of guys I saw play in 2019 kind of by accident. Was watching a Bowl game in which Eastern Michigan was playing. The announcer mentioned a left tackle, Steve Neilson 6'7 325, was from Denmark. He looked like he could play in the CFL eventually IMO. He had started at RT in 2018 and then they switched him to LT in 2019. I see he was also in a NFL Camp last year.
    Was watching a Cincinnati game that fall to check out TE Bruno Lepelle and found out the starting RT Chris Ferguson 6'5 310 was from the Bahamas. He looked like a pretty good prospect as well especially run blocking. So out that 8 man list they're looking at, that's a couple of players who could be good backups at least to start with. Teams are going to dress two Global players the last I heard.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Yes there should be some better players available in this years Global Draft because of the NCAA players included. Looking at the OL list there are a couple of guys I saw play in 2019 kind of by accident. Was watching a Bowl game in which Eastern Michigan was playing. The announcer mentioned a left tackle, Steve Neilson 6'7 325, was from Denmark. He looked like he could play in the CFL eventually IMO. He had started at RT in 2018 and then they switched him to LT in 2019. I see he was also in a NFL Camp last year.
    Was watching a Cincinnati game that fall to check out TE Bruno Lepelle and found out the starting RT Chris Ferguson 6'5 310 was from the Bahamas. He looked like a pretty good prospect as well especially run blocking. So out that 8 man list they're looking at, that's a couple of players who could be good backups at least to start with. Teams are going to dress two Global players the last I heard.
    Thanks for the scouting report on those 2 prospects with NCAA experience. I do expect teams to have Global Players that contribute other than on cover teams this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It'll be interesting to see what impact a few years of Global recruiting can have on rosters, if the league can uncover better players and if the players already drafted can improve enough to earn real playing time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess we are not going to see any mock drafts from John Hodge or Marshall Ferguson for the Global up coming draft on April 15th. LOL I thought they might take a shot at the first two rounds as there are several former NCAA starters available and then a bunch of NCAA punter/kickers. Wouldn't be surprised that Winnipeg pick a kicker with their first round pick, and I think most teams will grab one in the second round.
    My Argo picks would be LT Steve Neilson 6'8 325 Eastern Michigan-Denmark, K/P Jonas Schenderlain 6'1 195 Concordia-St.Paul,Germany, LB Luis Polastri Neto 6'3 230 Brazil and WR Anthony Mahoungou 6'3 210 Purdue-France.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I guess we are not going to see any mock drafts from John Hodge or Marshall Ferguson for the Global up coming draft on April 15th. LOL I thought they might take a shot at the first two rounds as there are several former NCAA starters available and then a bunch of NCAA punter/kickers. Wouldn't be surprised that Winnipeg pick a kicker with their first round pick, and I think most teams will grab one in the second round.
    My Argo picks would be LT Steve Neilson 6'8 325 Eastern Michigan-Denmark, K/P Jonas Schenderlain 6'1 195 Concordia-St.Paul,Germany, LB Luis Polastri Neto 6'3 230 Brazil and WR Anthony Mahoungou 6'3 210 Purdue-France.
    Hoping that Winnipeg will sign Mark Liegghio and give him a chance to do the job. They drafted a kicker in the first global draft but had Medlock already signed. Not sure if he is still Winnipeg property or how that works. Guessing not.

Drafting globals attending US schools seems a lot like drafting Nationals attending US schools imo. One way to fill the roster with inexpensive players if that is the answer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There is a beast of a MLB in Great Britain named David Anyzon (sp). Watching some of his high lights he dominated the competition much like Kramer did in his Karate class that was filled with 9 year old kids.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    There is a beast of a MLB in Great Britain named David Anyzon (sp). Watching some of his high lights he dominated the competition much like Kramer did in his Karate class that was filled with 9 year old kids.
    "What do you mean you're in the same class?"
    "He almost beat me."
    "Kramer, you're fighting children?!"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    This year's Global draft looks to have some higher calibre players available. It is an interesting exercise to question where they would fit into the Canadian draft, if they qualified as Canadians. Looking at their football resumes and judging their athletic talents, some might well be drafted if they were Canadians. Suggest Neilson(OL), Ferguson(OL), Misiona Aiolupotea-Pei(DL), Kevin Kaya(WR) and a few others are worth looking at. Kaya for example, was a 2nd team All-Canadian when playing for the University of Montreal.

The Argos only have Bede as a kicker on the roster. Since all teams must carry 2 Global players, perhaps selecting one of the Global kickers as a back up to Bede, might be a wise move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    The rule that each team must carry 2 Global players on their active roster, increases the significance of the Global draft. Hopefully, prior to the draft, there will be more information forthcoming, about which payers might have the potential to contribute to the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Argos take DB Tigie Sankoh from Great Britain. JC Abbott rated him the #1 DB in the Global Draft. Here's Abbott's comments. Looks like a good choice to me.

1. Tigie Sankoh, United Kingdom, Kent Exiles After two years with the Cleveland Browns as part of the NFL’s International Player Pathway Program, Sankoh is still just 25 and brings all the right skills to the table. In 80 defensive snaps during the 2019 NFL pre-season, Sankoh had five tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and a pass breakup while recording a positive Pro Football Focus grade of 73.2.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/04/13/c...fensive-backs/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Not bad. With some NFL experience, he shouldn't be too much out of his depth on a CFL roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With their second pick the Argos get Kicker Toshiki Sato from Japan. He was the #4 ranked kicker, in the player position with the greatest depth, because so many were transferring their kicking skills from soccer, the closest thing to a universal sport.

4. Toshiki Sato, Kicker, Japan (IBM Big Blue) After setting the X League record with a 58 yard field goal and showing deadly consistency, Sato has chased the NFL dream in The Spring League and had serious interest from both the Cowboys and Raiders last year.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/04/09/c...s-and-punters/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos had given up their third round pick to Calgary so their last pick was WR Sammis Reyes from Chile, who was not ranked among JC Abbott's top 15 Global wide receivers. Here's what I could find on him.

Newly signed Washington Football Team tight end Sammis Reyes took an usual path to the NFL.

Reyes came to the United States from Chile at 14, learned English, and played basketball at Tulane before trying his hand at football. He spent a few months learning the game and working out in Florida in hopes of landing a spot in the NFL’s International Player Pathway Program, but wound up doing well enough at workout to land a contract with Washington.

Reyes, who told reporters on Wednesday that the call from Washington was “a moment of true happiness,” has the physical tools teams are looking for. He’s 6’5″ and weighs 260 pounds with a 40-inch vertical and a 4.65 40-yard dash. There’s still a steep learning curve, of course, but Reyes vowed to put in the time necessary to make Washington’s roll of the dice pay off. I always tell people: I don’t think there’s going to be anything harder than having to leave home when you’re 14,” Reyes said, via Peter Hailey of NBCSportsWashington.com. “So I’m prepared for whatever comes. . . . What I do know is that no one is going to outwork me.”

Reyes’ odds of making it to the roster may not be that great, but the odds of him getting to this point weren’t much better and that work ethic should serve his bid well in the months to come.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ke-wft-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    6'5" 260 lb wide receiver? That will be something to see.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    Here's the draft from the inside...

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/04/15/...medium=twitter

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Some interesting selections. Fingers crossed that Chile's answer to Rob Gronkowski works out for us. :)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Definitely an upgrade in talent from last year. Some clips of Sankoh from his days with the Browns shows he is a player. Could be a good special teamer right from the start and then get some snaps at OLB.

Kicker Sato could turn out to their kicker for the future. The fact that he can play as a Global guy could leave another American back up spot for game day.

I didn't see many players from Mexico picked. Mexico has been mentioned as a potential place for a TV deal, so that's not going to help that situation.

I believe teams can still sign some free agents not picked today. Maybe we will see a few signed before TC, when ever that might be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There are definitely some disappointed (and pissed off) fans in Mexico today. Unfortunately, I don't think the Mexican athletes are at the level of the guys who were selected today (many/most of whom had NCAA and/or NFL training). I believe there are still several Mexican players under contract with various teams across the league. I don't know if any of them will survive training camp, but hopefully for them they do. I think a couple of them at least have stayed in Canada since the end of the 2019 season to dedicate themselves to their teams.

Anyways, those Mexicans who played in 2019 and have been or will be cut will return to the LFA and improve the level of talent and training there for the young Mexican players who will be participating in future combines.