Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Overall, the Argos did fairly well in the draft. Sankoh, brings good size, excellent athletic ability, good speed and most importantly 2 years of experience as a pro. If nothing else he should be able to contribute right away on special teams and as he becomes more familiar with our style of playing he might become a rotational player reasonably soon.

Sato gives the team a good backup to Bede, without having to use an American or Canadian player. Each team must carry 2 Global players anyway, so utilizing that rule to provide a capable back up to Bede, looks like a good move.

It is unlikely Reyes will be in the CFL right away but it is an excellent choice of a future top class player.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Agreed. Between Sankoh, Sato, and Robo the team should have no trouble carrying two useful global players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    2 Global players must be on the active roster and the Argos have chosen well within those parameters. However, if the rules were different and teams carried a set number of Canadians and a set number of players, who could come from anywhere (including the States), the Global players selected in this draft would have been supplanted by Americans. That is not to say the Global players aren't good athletes, just that there are so many talented Americans graduating each year, that better American players would have been available.

The concern re the talent of the Global players is evidenced by the selection of 4 punter/kickers in the 1st round. Remember in the 2020 draft, an outstanding Canadian kicker (Liegghio) wasn't chosen till the 5th round. If he was in this year's Global draft, IMO, he would have been chosen in the 1st round.

I don't mean to rain on our parade but though there are many truly outstanding athletes throughout the world (look at the Olympics), the competition for those athletes is intense. The NFL Pathway program and sports in the athletes' home countries, offer basic salaries way higher than the CFL's $54,000. I'm not suggesting the CFL should not look for international players but only if it is cost efficient. Perhaps, there could be an arrangement to work with the NFL and its Pathway program, whereby we could identify international players who are not NFL ready but are more suited for play in our league ---just a thought.

In spite of my reservations, I hope all of the Global athletes succeed in the CFL. But maybe the money presently being spent on the Global program, could be spent instead on a program to help find and develop Canadian players, after all it is called the CANADIAN football league for a reason!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    2 Global players must be on the active roster and the Argos have chosen well within those parameters. However, if the rules were different and teams carried a set number of Canadians and a set number of players, who could come from anywhere (including the States), the Global players selected in this draft would have been supplanted by Americans. That is not to say the Global players aren't good athletes, just that there are so many talented Americans graduating each year, that better American players would have been available.
    The positive side of mandating globals (and Canadians) is that such mandates sometimes lead to increased talent. Hansen, for example, would not have been on a CFL roster if not for the global initiative, but he beat out Americans to earn playing time. Same goes for Canadian greats over the years.

Having said that, I also worry about the costs associated with pushing the idea too far too fast. We'll have to see if there are any more Hansens in this year's crop.

In spite of my reservations, I hope all of the Global athletes succeed in the CFL. But maybe the money presently being spent on the Global program, could be spent instead on a program to help find and develop Canadian players, after all it is called the CANADIAN football league for a reason!

Part of the initiative is getting young Canadians playing time in global leagues, which goes toward the goal of finding and developing Canadian players for the league. Another related hope is that adding an international component to the game will pique the interests of more young Canadians who either related to the ethnicity of some global players or are used to the multinational element of "bigger" sports leagues like the NHL, NBA, and MLB. If they get more young Canadians interested in watching the sport, then perhaps more will bet interested in playing and developing.
    Last edited by Mocha; 04-17-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I think the best that can be expected from a Global is what we are experiencing with Chris Merchant who is doing a great job of raising awareness of Spanish League football in Canada.

Still has not evolved to the point where I have watched a game or bought a souvenir.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    I think the best that can be expected from a Global is what we are experiencing with Chris Merchant who is doing a great job of raising awareness of Spanish League football in Canada.

Still has not evolved to the point where I have watched a game or bought a souvenir.
    I ended up watching several LFA games before their season got cancelled last year. There were several Canadian players to watch, and that's part of the Global plan--getting spots for Canadians who are not quite CFL-ready to develop in a (semi)pro setting.

I looked at buying LFA merch, but it's surprisingly pricey, like $40+ for a cap before shipping costs.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I looked at buying LFA merch, but it's surprisingly pricey, like $40+ for a cap before shipping costs.
    Check out the Upper Deck CFL player cards from the CFLPA.com store. Free shipping for the small packs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If the CFL is truly wishing to become better known in Europe and is serious about identifying and encouraging European/UK players, why not have a CFL sponsored All-Star game between the best European players and a U Sport all star team. It could be played in Canada and Europe in alternates years. However always played with CFL rules, with some minor modifications to adapt to European fields.

In Canada, the games could be played in one of the U Sport hot spots (Laval, Calgary etc). The television rights could be sold independently to the most interested network and it could be well attended if well publicised. The league could also reach out to some Canadian institutions for sponsorship and perhaps even provincial/federal support.

OK, I accept it is a bit revolutionary but the money spent would be worth it and if organized and publicised correctly could break even. It would be a great way to advertise the Canadian game to a European audience and also help source potential CFL players from Europe.

Crazy--perhaps nut noting ventured, nothing gained

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If the CFL is truly wishing to become better known in Europe and is serious about identifying and encouraging European/UK players, why not have a CFL sponsored All-Star game between the best European players and a U Sport all star team. It could be played in Canada and Europe in alternates years. However always played with CFL rules, with some minor modifications to adapt to European fields.

In Canada, the games could be played in one of the U Sport hot spots (Laval, Calgary etc). The television rights could be sold independently to the most interested network and it could be well attended if well publicised. The league could also reach out to some Canadian institutions for sponsorship and perhaps even provincial/federal support.

OK, I accept it is a bit revolutionary but the money spent would be worth it and if organized and publicised correctly could break even. It would be a great way to advertise the Canadian game to a European audience and also help source potential CFL players from Europe.

Crazy--perhaps nut noting ventured, nothing gained
    I think ideas like this are worth pursuing. Last year (or was it two years ago?), a match between a Mexican university and UBC was organized. More events like that wouldn't hurt.

Edit: it was two years ago, vs Monterrey.

https://youtu.be/dX3ox9k-wPI
    Last edited by Mocha; 04-19-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mocha, thanks for the information about the UBC vs Monterrey game--had not heard anything about it. Do you have any details about how the game went?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mocha, thanks for the information about the UBC vs Monterrey game--had not heard anything about it. Do you have any details about how the game went?
    I recall watching some of it live, but it was broadcast in Spanish. The UBC team was made up young players and backups IIRC. Anyways it wasn't the full "real" Thunderbird squad. The game was in Mexico and played under 4-down rules. And it was in May, so I imagine the Canadian players were not in game shape. I believe plans were in the works to bring a Mexican team up to Canada sometime but Covid derailed that I'm sure.

Oh, and Monterrey won the game, which was a bit of a shocker to me.

And I just noticed that Monterrey is the school of the Stampeders third round global selection this year. I bet he played in that game.
    Last edited by Mocha; 04-19-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I think ideas like this are worth pursuing. Last year (or was it two years ago?), a match between a Mexican university and UBC was organized. More events like that wouldn't hurt.

Edit: it was two years ago, vs Monterrey.

https://youtu.be/dX3ox9k-wPI
    I did not remember hearing about that game. Definitely was not the UBC #1 team. But the two teams were fairly well matched with Monterrey winning 24-17, which was probably part of the plan for growing Mexican Football. Cannot see Mexico providing many CFL calibre players right now if that was the plan to get a TV deal down there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I did not remember hearing about that game. Definitely was not the UBC #1 team. But the two teams were fairly well matched with Monterrey winning 24-17, which was probably part of the plan for growing Mexican Football. Cannot see Mexico providing many CFL calibre players right now if that was the plan to get a TV deal down there.
    I just dug up an interesting article about the game, and it suggests Blake Nill can take much of the credit for the start of cooperation between the LFA and CFL.

I'm not sure what quality of player is being developed in Mexican universities. Nill seems impressed and has apparently had Mexican exchange students play for the Thunderbirds.

https://gothunderbirds.ca/news/2019/...-showdown.aspx