Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

CFL cutting back on Nationals?

Rod Pedersen reporting the CFL is cutting the Nationals back to 15 on the game day roster and starters from 7 to 3. Where did that come from out of the blue.
    Last edited by doubleblue; 04-09-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Rod Peterson reporting the CFL is cutting the Nationals back to 15 on the game day roster and starters from 7 to 3. Where did that come from out of the blue.
    Gee - IF true - what a shocker !

Hopefullly, such a new CFL would think of changing their name - how bout XCFAAL (eXCanadianFootballAmericansfirstAmericanspreferre dLeague)
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-08-2021 at 10:52 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Sometimes I get the feeling the league management has a death wish. It is called the Canadian Football League for a reason but some seem hell bent of converting it to a watered down version of the NFL. This won't gain the league any new fans but will endanger losing present fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Isn't there a rumour every offseason when the GMs meet that they're discussing lowering the ratio?

I mean, maybe this time with Covid and all, they really are going to do it. But I'll wait the league announces such a change before worrying too much about it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Part of a new "business model" - computer simulation probably shows that's the maximum # of inferior/scrub Canadian talent that could possibly compete against XFL level talent?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Isn't there a rumour every offseason when the GMs meet that they're discussing lowering the ratio?

I mean, maybe this time with Covid and all, they really are going to do it. But I'll wait the league announces such a change before worrying too much about it.
    Exactly. Well said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This could be a leaked trial balloon to see what the response will be. If that is the case, they could go ahead with it if there isn't a strong backlash.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't believe the league will do this, but if it does, it's doomed. Reducing the number of Canadians would just open the door for teams to year after year bring in cheaper talent from the huge talent pool available in the U.S. This would result in even less roster continuity that we now have, which IMO is really bad for the league.

If the league was smart, they would go back to having 10 Nationals guaranteed starters spot, and I would take it further to say they should mandate always having a minimum of 5 national players on the field at all times. Balance it out between offence and defense.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't believe the league will do this, but if it does, it's doomed. Reducing the number of Canadians would just open the door for teams to year after year bring in cheaper talent from the huge talent pool available in the U.S. This would result in even less roster continuity that we now have, which IMO is really bad for the league.

If the league was smart, they would go back to having 10 Nationals guaranteed starters spot, and I would take it further to say they should mandate always having a minimum of 5 national players on the field at all times. Balance it out between offence and defense.
    They seem to take for granted the fans will flock back once the gates are open with what ever they decide to do. I don't think that will be the case and while the covid situation has become a factor of everyday life disinterest may play an equally large role.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    They seem to take for granted the fans will flock back once the gates are open with what ever they decide to do. I don't think that will be the case and while the covid situation has become a factor of everyday life disinterest may play an equally large role.
    I think the league is looking at it from the opposite point of view -- deathly afraid that fans have been lost forever. Attendance was going down long before COVID kaiboshed a season and put the league out of mind for a year (while also creating a coterie of fans who won't be so eager to gather in large groups after the pandemic ends, if it ever does). Anything the league comes up with at this point, whether it's minor rule tweaks, major proposals to change roster rules or a total merger with the XFL, will be designed with the intention of reviving a flagging business.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Conspiracy Theory - part deux :

Ambrosie's Commish job and his supposed Global Initiative were all just a front for a plan (and new, perhaps more lucrative "business model") that were really all about selling-out inferior Canadian football down the river from the get go. Opens the door for the NFL in Canada AND creates a new league of 'Global" football which is really just a way to market NFL/American football around the world.

While there is a bit of gridiron football played in other parts of the world, it still has very little interest or following compared to traditional sports in those places; and it is American football - they've never heard of Canadian football. So some wannabes involved in running CFL teams (gee, who would that include?), dream up this scheme to promote Global football and players (Canadian talent is so lacking they need to reach out to Global players, but really it's about setting the stage for more Americans in an XCFL). 4 downs and American football rules are real football, and some gull-a-bull$ in Canada need to be convinced of this. A new XCFL will be this superior "busine$$ model", and maybe feature a couple of Canadian & Global players on the roster, but the main thing is to have a new league of American football ... in some markets in North America (a few existing CFL teams, plus some non - NFL American cities) and some other leagues in Europe or where-ever. And a number of "world class" Canadian cities have been ear-marked for possible new NFL franchises down the road (Vancouver, Montreal and of course major league Toronto). The newer XCFL type Global leagues are no threat to the NFL but serve as NFL farm teams sort of with some NFL involvement (a couple of "scouts" watching, plus ready to step-in with some financial help if the new leagues need it). Helps with the big picture of American Gridiron Football around the world, where the NFL is King, but this just cements it all together.

You-Tube video coming soon to explain it all - written & directed by Mike Myers (as Dr. Evil), with a couple of crocodile tears at the end lamenting the loss of Canadian Pro Football.

;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If the league wants to revive attendance and interest in the CFL , it has to be done by rolling up their sleeves and selling tickets one by one. MLSE has done a pitiful job of marketing the Argos. If MLSE spent the amount they pay for one Raptor's salary, on a well developed marketing program and did it with a long run strategy, IMO the interest in the Argos could be revised. There is no such thing as a quick fix. A lot of hard work, good solid leadership (especially good leadership) and good organizational planning, is needed, not some hair brained schemes like reducing Canadian content.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    If the league wants to revive attendance and interest in the CFL , it has to be done by rolling up their sleeves and selling tickets one by one. MLSE has done a pitiful job of marketing the Argos. If MLSE spent the amount they pay for one Raptor's salary, on a well developed marketing program and did it with a long run strategy, IMO the interest in the Argos could be revised. There is no such thing as a quick fix. A lot of hard work, good solid leadership (especially good leadership) and good organizational planning, is needed, not some hair brained schemes like reducing Canadian content.

And here i thought i had heard that the mighty MLSE had done everything possible to market the Argos, but it is just a total lost cause ?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Anything the league comes up with at this point, whether it's minor rule tweaks, major proposals to change roster rules or a total merger with the XFL, will be designed with the intention of reviving a flagging business.
    If it is a flagging business the problems lie off the field of play. I apologize for my extremist position but while the CFL books may not be too rosy Bell Media is raking it in. Teams are more or less left to flounder on their own. All the top people are well looked after throughout the league.

If the CFL believed in Canadian football why do they not partner with the CFLPA and give them an ownership share and seats on the board. That would be the way to move forward together. Instead they are rumoured to be considering a partnership with the Rock (who made the best $15 million investment of his life) and are almost certainly headed for some kind of labour dispute related to the 2022 CBA.

It is my impression that they welcome the opportunity to finish the players off and have complete disregard for fan opinion of their moves. Winnipeg Blue Bombers conduct business as if they were invincible. I cringe every time I hear of Wade Miller being a man of influence in the league. I suspect big money is coming with the single game betting legislation through sponsorship of some form. They know the opportunity is now before the legislation changes.

I may not have it right but I thought the CFL turned down the loan with the repayment plan and cancelled the season when they did not get the requested $30 million grant. I wish I could be more trusting.

I'm buying a ticket to OV's Canadian fun league. If he can make a deal with the PA, I will pay more for my ticket. CFL without the players will fade away along with Eatons and Sears. I have no interest in watching Wade Miller be rich. The memory's will live on in my mind

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If it is a flagging business the problems lie off the field of play. I apologize for my extremist position but while the CFL books may not be too rosy Bell Media is raking it in. Teams are more or less left to flounder on their own. All the top people are well looked after throughout the league.

If the CFL believed in Canadian football why do they not partner with the CFLPA and give them an ownership share and seats on the board. That would be the way to move forward together. Instead they are rumoured to be considering a partnership with the Rock (who made the best $15 million investment of his life) and are almost certainly headed for some kind of labour dispute related to the 2022 CBA.
    The CFL books may indeed be "not too rosy," but MLSE is a for-profit business, not a charity. Much as we might all wish otherwise, it has no moral obligation to lose money indefinitely on any its operations.

It's arguable whether or not MLSE has done enough to market the Argos, but the suggestion (not made by you, I acknowledge) that it should pour as much money into a money-losing subsidiary as it does to a player on the Raptors seems to ignore the reality that investment requires a reasonable prospect of return. Although there have been many bad ownership groups over the past four decades, and any bad decisions by ownership groups, some of them did put money into marketing the team. Has any of that produced a reasonable return on investment?

I know of no corporation that would simply hand a piece of ownership to its employees. And there is not a single entity here but nine separate entities, with three different ownership structures.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Expecting MLSE to engage in an effective marketing campaign on behalf of the Argos, should be a given. I suppose some do see it as a waste of time and funds to pour money into a money-losing enterprise but surely if managed correctly, it would generate interest and eventually revenue. As the old saying goes, it is necessary to speculate in order to accumulate.

If, as has been implied, no amount of marketing has or will increase attendance and thereby revenue , there would appear to be no future for the Argos. Personally. I disagree with that premise. I'm sorry if using a Rapture player's salary as an example of possible expenditure comparison bothered anyone and realistically a salary like Lowry's 30m is beyond expectation but surely a bench sitter's salary should be a meaningful comparison.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I believe the interest in the Argos is there but it has to be encouraged and revitalized. It is a pity MLSE doesn't seem to have the same confidence in the team and its fans, if they did perhaps more money would be allocated to an Argo marketing strategy.

I hope none of the above opinions irk anyone, just put it down to me being a long time ebullient Argo supporter.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    When I see the same commercial air 4 times during a Grey Cup telecast as has been running all season long it makes me think someone is not trying very hard. Wendy's baconator "living large" promotion comes to mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It certainly would be discouraging to believe that the professional sports conglomerate MLSE, so successful across all their franchise, could not be successful in Canadian football. It seems like the Calgary Flames have mastered Canadian football through the Stampeders franchise. What’s the difference? Do Torontonians actually hold themselves to a much higher standard? I think it’s difficult not impossible.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL complains they are losing money but they bundle the playoffs and Grey Cup rights into the regular season broadcasting rights package when the Grey Cup is worth $50 million on its own. CFL books are bad by design imo.

Point also well made about being a private corporation with no requirement for transparency to the people they count on to support their cause. The centralized control of Bell Media through their holdings in TSN and MLSE with a non arms length relationship with the CFL Board of Governors maybe deserves a little scrutiny under anti combine laws. Fortunately they have those guys sewed up as well.

Heinz ketchup learned about market loyalty. I hope the CFL does not challenge the fans in a similar manner.

Apologies for side tracking the thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When I see the same commercial air 4 times during a Grey Cup telecast as has been running all season long it makes me think someone is not trying very hard. Wendy's baconator "living large" promotion comes to mind.
    CFL complains they are losing money but they bundle the playoffs and Grey Cup rights into the regular season broadcasting rights package when the Grey Cup is worth $50 million on its own.
    I think these comments are contradictory. If the Grey Cup was worth $50M, that would be because the audience is so massive and desirable that any advertiser would be crazy to alienate that audience by running the same tired ad over and over. And yet . . .

I don't know if you watch the Super Bowl on Canadian TV, but it, too, has the same ads run repeatedly. If anyone is not trying very hard, it's not the CFL. Maybe it's all Wendy's fault?