Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
If it is a flagging business the problems lie off the field of play. I apologize for my extremist position but while the CFL books may not be too rosy Bell Media is raking it in. Teams are more or less left to flounder on their own. All the top people are well looked after throughout the league.

If the CFL believed in Canadian football why do they not partner with the CFLPA and give them an ownership share and seats on the board. That would be the way to move forward together. Instead they are rumoured to be considering a partnership with the Rock (who made the best $15 million investment of his life) and are almost certainly headed for some kind of labour dispute related to the 2022 CBA.
The CFL books may indeed be "not too rosy," but MLSE is a for-profit business, not a charity. Much as we might all wish otherwise, it has no moral obligation to lose money indefinitely on any its operations.

It's arguable whether or not MLSE has done enough to market the Argos, but the suggestion (not made by you, I acknowledge) that it should pour as much money into a money-losing subsidiary as it does to a player on the Raptors seems to ignore the reality that investment requires a reasonable prospect of return. Although there have been many bad ownership groups over the past four decades, and any bad decisions by ownership groups, some of them did put money into marketing the team. Has any of that produced a reasonable return on investment?

I know of no corporation that would simply hand a piece of ownership to its employees. And there is not a single entity here but nine separate entities, with three different ownership structures.