Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Wow, getting soaked again by another trade with Winnipeg. I’m surprised the Bombers didn’t throw in the rights to Drew Willy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I remember when the Argos let Steve Stapler go and kept the veteran Bob Gaddis, even though Stapler was having a sensational camp. Gaddis lasted only one more lacklustre season, and Stapler killed the Argos for quite a few seasons. The situations are not entirely analogous, but I think a case can be made that Gaddis was kept for reasons other than on-field performance.
    Not exactly the best example there. Thought the Argos had a bad year when they made this decision, the rest of the decade can arguably be considered the best decade in Argos history, while Hamilton was mediocre at best.
    And I'm not saying that Darby alone being here year round will make a big difference, but the Argos should hope to have many players do that. The fact that Darby is a really good player adds to my dislike for this move. From a football perspective, you're trading a bona fide starter for someone with no CFL experience. Might as well have traded Crezdon Butler here. He's a vet that likely won't make the team. The O-lineman they received wasn't going to start in Winnipeg with Bryant and Hardric there, why give up a starter for him?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not exactly the best example there. Thought the Argos had a bad year when they made this decision, the rest of the decade can arguably be considered the best decade in Argos history, while Hamilton was mediocre at best.
    It is always a bummer when a guy like Darby goes. The Argos were going to be making some tough cuts this year and unfortunately this is one of them. To me it sounds like the Argos thought the could save some cap space at this spot with the depth they have in the backfield. Let's see if we have any other surprises tonight when cuts come in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    It is always a bummer when a guy like Darby goes. The Argos were going to be making some tough cuts this year and unfortunately this is one of them. To me it sounds like the Argos thought the could save some cap space at this spot with the depth they have in the backfield. Let's see if we have any other surprises tonight when cuts come in.
    It's the biggest problem with the CFL today. Too many one and done guys. I loved NCAA basketball when I was younger, but have paid zero attention to it for years because of this.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I must admit the Darby trade surprised me but it probably indicated a number of things:
    . The coaches are not overwhelmed by the present talent at LT
    . The team has a good number of veteran DB's (Daniel, Richardson, Edwards, Richards, Butler, Colquhoun, McCoil) and some young and hopefully talented younger DB's
    . The team may have felt they couldn't keep all those vets, so get an asset in a trade now, rather than cutting one and getting nothing in return.
    . The team is loaded with talent in most positions, so this may not be the last surprise release or trade

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Might as well have traded Crezdon Butler here. He's a vet that likely won't make the team. The O-lineman they received wasn't going to start in Winnipeg with Bryant and Hardric there, why give up a starter for him?
    That presupposes Darby is performing at least as well as Butler in camp. We don't know how any of the players are performing. As good as he has been for us, Darby might have seven or eight American DBs grading out ahead of him by now. Or he might be our best DB. We just don't know.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Obviously Winnipeg is happy paying vets Hardrick and Bryant to play OT instead of a cheaper option in Poole...that being said if Terry Poole (not to be confused with retired OF of the Houston Astros) was close to beating those vets out, he would not have been traded.

I would think an American OT could be found in FA instead of giving up a long serving, high performing player in Darby.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Argos appear to have dealt from a perceived area of strength to address an area of need, having said that I still don’t cared for this trade at all.
    Loyal Argonaut who played very well on a crappy team in 2019 and as others have mentioned really seemed to enjoy being in Toronto.
    Let’s see how this plays out, if Poole wins the starting job and plays well then all is well….the jury is out on this one.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I must admit the Darby trade surprised me but it probably indicated a number of things:
    . The team has a good number of veteran DB's (Daniel, Richardson, Edwards, Richards, Butler, Colquhoun, McCoil) and some young and hopefully talented younger DB's
    . The team may have felt they couldn't keep all those vets, so get an asset in a trade now, rather than cutting one and getting nothing in return.
    . The team is loaded with talent in most positions, so this may not be the last surprise release or trade
    I think there is an element of truth in each of your points.
    I expect more surprising moves from the Argonauts and other teams as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    My read is that Darby was scheduled to be cut. He likely has a high salary and was not performing sufficiently above some of the new guys making the minimum. Rather than get nothing for him, they saw the opportunity to trade for a prospect in an area of weakness. Isiah cage has been the LT on two years of 4/14 teams, so by all rights he should be on shaky ground.

I dont like seeing a good guy leave either, but this seems like a business decision. Look at it this way: if this move saves us the cap space, that's extra money allowing us to keep one of those other veterans that would otherwise be unaffordable. If Poole makes the team, that's a bonus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This trade reminds us that above all else professional football is a business. I hate to see a stand up guy like Darby go but that's the nature f the game. I wish him all the best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    No news in regards to any cuts, however we've added RB DJ Foster

https://www.argonauts.ca/2021/07/19/...rb-d-j-foster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not even talking about the on field aspect of this trade. You have an American player that makes his home in the city year round and promotes the team. And you trade him? I'd understand if he couldn't play, but he's a very good player too. Just a dumb, dumb move.

Not trying to compare him to Pinball, but if the Argos decided they had a chance to upgrade their team years ago and traded Pinball, the team may have already folded.
    Agree with you! IMO I think the Argos do need to take into account whether a particular player is one of the faces of the team in the community, especially for US players. Obviously if a player is playing terribly, that's a different story, but if you have two players that are both comparable I think the team needs to take their activity in the community and marketability into account.

This is not to the same degree, but let's think about Chad Owens. Barker felt that Gurley, Hazelton, and Elliot were better, and probably thought Owens was losing a step compared to those guys, and of course they didn't want to pay Owens what he felt he deserved for everything he did for the team on/off the field. We all saw how that went down. Plus, I still talk to friends who are very occasional fans, and the last players they know of are Rickey Ray and Owens all these years later, so that says something. Losing players like this does have an impact to marketing a brand trying to build itself back up.

This is all not to say that others couldn't take over, so hopefully other players do (and stick around for years to come), but it is sad to see a guy like Darby go.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Let's build a team that can do better than 4-14 before worrying about continuity.

*Test edit*

*Test edit 2*
    Last edited by Wobbler; 07-21-2021 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Testing

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Let's build a team that can do better than 4-14 before worrying about continuity.
    This. Darby is a fine gentleman but this move helps with winning, I won’t be complaining, as hard as it may me to soak in. Plus, Darby is probably best remembered more off of the field than on the field.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    This. Darby is a fine gentleman but this move helps with winning, I won’t be complaining, as hard as it may me to soak in. Plus, Darby is probably best remembered more off of the field than on the field.
    For some strange reason, as I have typed this on my phone, it will not allow me to edit my own obvious mistakes (fat fingers)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I get the concept of trading for a position as important as LT, so this Poole guy better be the answer.

Do we know when are the cut-down dates?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    For some strange reason, as I have typed this on my phone, it will not allow me to edit my own obvious mistakes (fat fingers)
    I've had the same problem on the weekend, but not right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, but it all depends on how good Poole is, which remains to be seen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Looks like there were some injury concerns on the OLine. Here's David Morassutti's article on the Darby trade:

https://tipofthetower.com/2021/07/20...e-terry-poole/