Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Argos to the XFL?

With the CFL turning down further cooperation with the XFL, there are now concerns that the Argos might switch to the XFL. It was MLSE that pushed for talks with the XFL, raising questions about whether they might jump to the league in 2023 when it starts up again. I don't see this being successful if it comes to pass because most of the hard core Argo fan base wouldn't jump ship, especially if the CFL was still around. Furthermore, I don't see the XFL building a strong new fan base here when those wanting American football want the premier league, the NFL. Or is killing off the Argos as a CFL team, a prelude to pursuing a NFL team?

The CFL's announcement Wednesday that it had ended talks with the XFL was significant because league sources have continually suggested that MLSE had long been a driving force in a collaboration with the American-based spring league.

With reported annual losses of around $12 million operating within the Canadian league's status quo, MLSE was the catalyst for the XFL discussion and saw a potential partnership as a way to establish a new structure that could help improve the football entity's fortunes, according to multiple sources.

The sources were granted anonymity because neither MLSE nor the CFL has divulged the exact nature of talks with the XFL. ...

So while the CFL's decision Wednesday allows it and the nine member teams to concentrate solely upon the '21 season, it hasn't resolved the Argos' issues and only served to raise questions about the future of the franchise and, most notably, it's current owner.
    MLSE spokesman Dave Haggith said Thursday the organization's sole focus is "on the CFL's return to play this season. That's what we're excited about for both the league and it's fans."
    At first glance, it would appear the company has three options to consider moving forward:
    • Having Toronto join the XFL when the spring league resumes play in 2023 because it's much easier to reach a deal with one team rather than a nine-franchise league.
    • Selling the Argos in time for the 2022 season.
    • Continue owning the franchise and negotiating a better business model/structure for the CFL moving forward given that teams in its biggest markets — Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver — are struggling. Trouble is, the league is unique in that it has three different models in place with community-owned teams (Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton), those that are privately owned (Hamilton, B.C. and Montreal) and three owned by conglomerates (Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa).
    The second option, though, could be somewhat tricky given the tough sell Argos football has been in Toronto. The franchise averaged a league-low 12,491 spectators in 2019, the last time games were played, and that figure was more than 10,000 spectators under the league's average (22,917).

There's no questioning the depth of MLSE's pockets — its estimated value reportedly exceeds $1 billion — but the company is not in the business of losing money. And for the second option to happen, there'd have to be a willing purchaser which under the current circumstances may be hard to find. Any sale of the Argos would likely have to carry the caveat of a favourable lease at BMO Field to help offset the franchise's losses. Although the City of Toronto owns the facility, MLSE manages it. But the question remains: if MSLE can't sell the Argos in time for the 2022 CFL season, will the Toronto franchise operate north of the border? And if it does not, what impact will that have on the league? ...

There've been suggestions the CFL change its business model to adopt revenue-sharing to help struggling franchises. However, the bigger question remains just how much money is available to split up, especially during a pandemic and at a time when no club took in any revenue in 2020 because the league didn't play. The CFL's three community-based teams lost a combined $21.5 million in 2020.

The three franchises traditionally posted annual profits prior to the pandemic. Some league officials are quick to suggest the CFL already operates with a form of revenue sharing in that the nine teams split up equally the money generated from the broadcast agreement with TSN.
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/long-term-future-of-toronto-argonauts-a-question-that-s-facing-cfl-1.6095382

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I guess there always has to be speculation, one crisis over so on to the next.
    Tiresome, just want to enjoy CFL football.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Perhaps MLSE could have the Argos play in both leagues. Or own and operate two separate teams.

I think the novelty would attract some fans at first, but 2nd-tier outdoor spring football would be in tough in that market going up against NHL and NBA playoffs as well as MLS and MLB early season games.

I'd be favour of allowing CFL players to play in both leagues, as long as their rights remained with their CFL club as normal. It would give them some extra cash and bring at least some increased amount of awareness of the CFL to US markets.

Don
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Assuming there is merit to this rumor, what makes MLSE think that Torontonians won't thumb their nose at the XFL?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    What the deuce?

Argo57 got it right in one word: tiresome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm happy there's no more talks with the XFL. However, this is a crucial time for the Argos. I believe they've built a very good front office and a destination that players want to go to and so I really hope this builds some momentum with wins on the field and fans in the stands. I really think they need to give this regime a few seasons to see if their strategy is working. I love the amount of local players that they have and really hope it translates to more attendance at BMO.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The XFL's site is truly terrible. I couldn't even figure out how many teams there were or the division format without consulting Wikipedia. Presumably the Argos would join their East division (DC, NYC, St. Louis, Tampa). Tampa is coached by Trestman (assuming that the contracts are still valid), so that could be fun.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Much as we might wish it weren't so, I believe it is entirely plausible that MLSE is considering all options, including engaging directly with the XFL. I'm finding it increasingly hard to imagine the nine-team CFL becoming enticing to a new audience in this market. There are likely 10,000 or so hard-core fans who live and die by the Argos, and a few thousand more who care enough to buy tickets on occasion. Among the rest of the population, the Argos essentially don't seem to exist. Can something change that? Hopefully. But I'm sure MLSE has been asking itself that question for three years, and I'm not sure they're coming up with the answer we all want.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    I wouldn't be surprised is MLSE will be in talks with Redbird directly either and agreed they'll look at all options.

When the league talks with the XFL ended, the Elks tweet saying they're pleased that they ended etc....is telling the not enough owners are on the same page moving forward. What kind of shared vision with different partners (current and future) may determine what happens as opposed to what brand of football they're going to try and sell.

Saying that I still think they would rather see the CFL's business model change first and foremost. Weather there is enough support with enough with their current partners is key.

Another key of course is the XFL's ability to launch in 2023

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I'm happy there's no more talks with the XFL. However, this is a crucial time for the Argos. I believe they've built a very good front office and a destination that players want to go to and so I really hope this builds some momentum with wins on the field and fans in the stands. I really think they need to give this regime a few seasons to see if their strategy is working. I love the amount of local players that they have and really hope it translates to more attendance at BMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Much as we might wish it weren't so, I believe it is entirely plausible that MLSE is considering all options, including engaging directly with the XFL. I'm finding it increasingly hard to imagine the nine-team CFL becoming enticing to a new audience in this market. There are likely 10,000 or so hard-core fans who live and die by the Argos, and a few thousand more who care enough to buy tickets on occasion. Among the rest of the population, the Argos essentially don't seem to exist. Can something change that? Hopefully. But I'm sure MLSE has been asking itself that question for three years, and I'm not sure they're coming up with the answer we all want.
    I agree with the former quote and fear the latter is a possibility. However, let's enjoy it now, especially when this is a team that has the potential to go all the way, something I didn't think was likely the last couple of years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Perhaps MLSE could have the Argos play in both leagues. Or own and operate two separate teams.
    Argonauts 2.0.

I'm not sure MLSE is thrilled at having the team they have now never mind starting another one. I would be more concerned about MLSE getting out of the football business entirely instead of hitching their wagon to an American league that has failed twice. My personal belief is that if Maple Leaf Sports was looking to get into the US football market it would be NFL or bust.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Argonauts 2.0.

I'm not sure MLSE is thrilled at having the team they have now never mind starting another one. I would be more concerned about MLSE getting out of the football business entirely instead of hitching their wagon to an American league that has failed twice. My personal belief is that if Maple Leaf Sports was looking to get into the US football market it would be NFL or bust.
    You could well be correct. I'm sure they'd love to land an NFL team.

Perhaps they thought having the Argos play in the XFL would bring more eyes to the Argos in the CFL?

New Fan
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

No Easy Answers

There are no easy or quick answers to building interest in the CFL in Toronto. I hope MLSE markets and pushes to build the Argonauts with all their considerable resources. Ideas like joining with the XFL are just that - ideas. Helping to strengthen the Argos with new revenue streams, building diversity in the fan base and developing Canadian talent should be some of the first priorities. This task will take years not months...I would be more excited by a new Halifax franchise and plans for greater co-operation among owners than a novelty deal of some kind with the XFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by West Hill Wide Out View Post
    There are no easy or quick answers to building interest in the CFL in Toronto. I hope MLSE markets and pushes to build the Argonauts with all their considerable resources. Ideas like joining with the XFL are just that - ideas. Helping to strengthen the Argos with new revenue streams, building diversity in the fan base and developing Canadian talent should be some of the first priorities. This task will take years not months...I would be more excited by a new Halifax franchise and plans for greater co-operation among owners than a novelty deal of some kind with the XFL.
    I think the addition of the betting revenue stream combined with the greater revenue sharing that might be voted in this season are two positives. They could help entice SSE to pony up for a stadium in Halifax. Having a team there should effect a positive impact on the league in general.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think the addition of the betting revenue stream combined with the greater revenue sharing that might be voted in this season are two positives. They could help entice SSE to pony up for a stadium in Halifax. Having a team there should effect a positive impact on the league in general.
    I don't disagree. I still think the league in general and specifically the Argos need to market individual players and make them known in the city. However for this to work, the star players need to be retained and not change teams every year. I have no clue how the league never adopted a rule which allows teams to retain their own free agents by allowing them to pay these players more to stay.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't disagree. I still think the league in general and specifically the Argos need to market individual players and make them known in the city. However for this to work, the star players need to be retained and not change teams every year. I have no clue how the league never adopted a rule which allows teams to retain their own free agents by allowing them to pay these players more to stay.
    I think this would be a positive step for sure.

Considering the small slice of the revenue pie that goes to the players, I understand how the the league compromised with the PA on shorter-term deals to allow players more opportunity to pursue NFL aspirations, but the degree of turnover each season these last few years is damaging.

If the league were able to attract sponsors to make commercials featuring its players something like this Jose Cuervo UFC ad, we'd be in a much better place. Probably a lot of work to get us in that spot though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    In the early 1980’s some of us remember when the majority of the roster stayed the same for many years with only a handful of changes every year.
    Not only did you get to know the Argonauts roster but you became very familiar with all of the CFL rosters, you got invested in the players and uniform they wore, fast forward to the present and you simply cheer for the uniform and have less invested in the actual player which is a shame.
    I guarantee I can name as many or more players from the 1983 team as from the 2012 and 2017 Grey Cup teams.
    The musical chairs CFL roster instability hurts the league substantially and also penalizes franchises that do a good job of recruiting and developing players.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think this would be a positive step for sure.

Considering the small slice of the revenue pie that goes to the players, I understand how the the league compromised with the PA on shorter-term deals to allow players more opportunity to pursue NFL aspirations, but the degree of turnover each season these last few years is damaging.

If the league were able to attract sponsors to make commercials featuring its players something like this Jose Cuervo UFC ad, we'd be in a much better place. Probably a lot of work to get us in that spot though.

I suggested this to Randy Ambrosie during his Toronto stop on of his tour I believe in 2018. He never really answered my question when I asked if the league would consider letting a certain percentage of a re-signed players contract not count against the cap (I suggested 15%.) My point being that too much player movement hurts. You need to have recognizable stars that stay for the majority of their careers in the same city.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    In the early 1980’s some of us remember when the majority of the roster stayed the same for many years with only a handful of changes every year.
    Not only did you get to know the Argonauts roster but you became very familiar with all of the CFL rosters, you got invested in the players and uniform they wore, fast forward to the present and you simply cheer for the uniform and have less invested in the actual player which is a shame.
    I guarantee I can name as many or more players from the 1983 team as from the 2012 and 2017 Grey Cup teams.
    The musical chairs CFL roster instability hurts the league substantially and also penalizes franchises that do a good job of recruiting and developing players.
    100%

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I suggested this to Randy Ambrosie during his Toronto stop on of his tour I believe in 2018. He never really answered my question when I asked if the league would consider letting a certain percentage of a re-signed players contract not count against the cap (I suggested 15%.) My point being that too much player movement hurts. You need to have recognizable stars that stay for the majority of their careers in the same city.
    I like this idea Angelo, rewards roster stability and improves the quality of play around the league.
    I’m shocked that Randy didn’t address your suggestion.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions