Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is a massively important point that many of the people calling for a reschedule later in the season seem to forget. Not counting this week's postponement, here are the gaps between games on each team's schedule:

Toronto

Edmonton

Those gaps don't match up in any way. The Elks are off from Sept. 19 to Sept. 27, but Argos play Sept. 24. Argos are off from Sept. 25 to Oct. 5, but Elks play Sept. 28. etc. Any reschedule after next week is going to require either a massive reshuffling of the entire schedule, with other teams also having to move games around, or someone is going to get saddled with two games very close together. We already have "anti-player-safety" gaps of four and five days in our schedule from here on (and would have had a gap of four days this week had the game not been postponed), so I'm completely opposed to the Argos taking it on the chin yet again.
    I think they would likely move another game up a couple of days (hopefully one of Edmonton's) in order to fit this in. If Edmonton has to do a 3 in 10 or 3 in 11, so be it. It was them that broke protocols, no matter how their president danced around the subject yesterday.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I just don't see where it could happen without Argos being screwed. Their gaps are not long enough to squeeze in an extra game without bunching them too closely together.

Here are the dates on both teams' schedules now:

Untitled.jpg
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It is a real challenge. And once you try moving games to make it work, other conflicts come into play. I hope the league has scheduling software that can optimize this sort of thing...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I just don't see where it could happen without Argos being screwed. Their gaps are not long enough to squeeze in an extra game without bunching them too closely together.

Here are the dates on both teams' schedules now:

Attachment 986

Edmonton and Winnipeg both have a bye in Week 8 and are scheduled to play each other in week 11 where the Argos have a bye. Move the Edmonton/Winnipeg game to Week 8, give Winnipeg a bye in week 11 and have the Argos play Edmonton Week 11.

This would work and it would be very fortunate scheduling that Bombers and Elks have the same bye week and the Argos are off when they are scheduled to play.

Only issue is that TFC is home on Saturday Oct 16, so the game wouldn't be played at BMO unless somehow they allowed football to be played 1 day after a soccer game (which I doubt they would make an exception). It would also mean the Argos playing Sunday Oct 17 at home. Good with me, but not sure how TSN would like that. But I believe this is the most likely scenario as far as re-scheduling goes. Either that, or the league will have to re-arrange the schedule for more than just 2 or 3 teams, which I don't see happening.

In the end, I bet Argos play this game in Edmonton on Oct 15 which we can all agree sucks.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 08-24-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Only issue is that TFC is home on Saturday Oct 16, so the game wouldn't be played at BMO unless somehow they allowed football to be played 1 day after a soccer game (which I doubt they would make an exception).
    Can someone explain to me why it’s OK for TFC to play one day after the Argos do, but not the other way around. I thought the whole issue was that football chews up the field more than soccer does. What’s the problem field wise with the Argos following TFC?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I want to emphasize that the health and safety of Elks players, coach, team personnel and their friends & family is paramount regardless of the circumstances that started this outbreak. I'd certainly hope that everyone understands that the league made the right decision here. All 9 teams are facing this potential scenario so I don't really want to sound like I'm on my high horse over the matter when Coach Dinwiddie implied that Argos are not one of the teams with an 85% vaccination rate.

My anger is directed at Elks President Chris Presson's idea/solution that was reported by Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Can someone explain to me why it’s OK for TFC to play one day after the Argos do, but not the other way around. I thought the whole issue was that football chews up the field more than soccer does. What’s the problem field wise with the Argos following TFC?
    Soccer chews up the field more than football. They're animals!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If it is true that a soccer game has been played one day after an Argo game, then there appears to be no reason why Argos can't play one day after a TFC game. Therefore AngeloV's analysis works.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    If it is true that a soccer game has been played one day after an Argo game, then there appears to be no reason why Argos can't play one day after a TFC game. Therefore AngeloV's analysis works.
    TFC has never played one day after the Argos and likely never will (they play in Montreal this Friday). They try to have a full week of field recovery before soccer matches because a nice pitch is paramount to the ball rolling true. The Argos however, could play shortly after TFC, as field conditions are not as important for football. One could argue beating up the field 2 days in a row is actually better for shorter recovery than 2 games a week apart.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    In this case it wouldn't be for the good of the league, but rather because of the ridiculous time needed between dates for soccer. It may come down to a choice between a forfeit victory or losing a home date. Either option would be losing a home date. Frankly, both options suck, but I would take playing over the forfeit.
    I would take the forfeit over the Argos being placed at a competitive disadvantage with an extra road game. I hate both options though but a forfeit may be necessary here.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would take the forfeit over the Argos being placed at a competitive disadvantage with an extra road game. I hate both options though but a forfeit may be necessary here.
    To me, playing in Edmonton on proper rest is not a competitive disadvantage. I never would take a forfeit over a game. Not as a player or a fan, but that's me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Just the fact that the Argos would have to make a four-hour flight while the Elks would avoid the flight they would have had makes it a competitive disadvantage IMO. Not to mention losing all fan support.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:

Level
    Per the following link: https://www.cfl.ca/standings/2021/, it seems that the game has already been played resulting in a tie. Not what the league announced Covid policy would be re games that had to be cancelled due to Covid. Both Argos and Edmonton are listed as 4 games played with 1 tie each….

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    You can still get COVID very easily if you are vaccinated.

The entire world could be 100 per cent vaccinated and this could still happen

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Coach Dinwiddie basically admitted on TSN 1050 yesterday that the Argos are not 85% vaccinated.
    In view of the numbers in the last post showing how much more likely it is to catch Covid and even more so it is to be hospitalized and end up in the ICU, I think it is time for the league to go to mandatory vaccinations for all players, with those who won't, not allowed to play. The CFLPA also has a duty to protect its own players from being infected by the unvaccinated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Edmonton and Winnipeg both have a bye in Week 8 and are scheduled to play each other in week 11 where the Argos have a bye. Move the Edmonton/Winnipeg game to Week 8, give Winnipeg a bye in week 11 and have the Argos play Edmonton Week 11.

This would work and it would be very fortunate scheduling that Bombers and Elks have the same bye week and the Argos are off when they are scheduled to play.

Only issue is that TFC is home on Saturday Oct 16, so the game wouldn't be played at BMO unless somehow they allowed football to be played 1 day after a soccer game (which I doubt they would make an exception). It would also mean the Argos playing Sunday Oct 17 at home. Good with me, but not sure how TSN would like that. But I believe this is the most likely scenario as far as re-scheduling goes. Either that, or the league will have to re-arrange the schedule for more than just 2 or 3 teams, which I don't see happening.

In the end, I bet Argos play this game in Edmonton on Oct 15 which we can all agree sucks.
    Angelo has outlined a creative solution to the problem. Since, Edmonton is responsible for this issue, it should be paramount that they don't benefit from any solution. Therefore, if the game can't be played at BMO for any reason, the game should be moved to a neutral site with Edmonton compensating the Argos for travel and related costs. The revenue generated by the game should be attributed to the Argos. I like the idea of it being played in a western city (Winnipeg?) where the fans are more likely to cheer for the Argos and against one of their Western League rivals.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Angelo has outlined a creative solution to the problem. Since, Edmonton is responsible for this issue, it should be paramount that they don't benefit from any solution. Therefore, if the game can't be played at BMO for any reason, the game should be moved to a neutral site with Edmonton compensating the Argos for travel and related costs. The revenue generated by the game should be attributed to the Argos. I like the idea of it being played in a western city (Winnipeg?) where the fans are more likely to cheer for the Argos and against one of their Western League rivals.
    Why should Argo fans be deprived of a home game, yet again? And why should the Argos have to fly to a "home" game? Sorry, but I'll take a forfeit over any option that takes a game away from this market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Just the fact that the Argos would have to make a four-hour flight while the Elks would avoid the flight they would have had makes it a competitive disadvantage IMO. Not to mention losing all fan support.
    Understood. But if they can't fit it into BMO's schedule, what other choices are there? A forfeit is worse for the league than playing the game in Edmonton.

Why should Argo fans be deprived of a home game, yet again? And why should the Argos have to fly to a "home" game? Sorry, but I'll take a forfeit over any option that takes a game away from this market.
    But even a forfeit takes the game away from this market. For myself, I would rather watch a game on TV, then not get the game at all. Would the Argos be willing to move the game to Varsity or York in order to get the ST holders a game? I don't know. It would be preferable over playing in Edmonton or a neutral site, but they really might prefer to get paid for moving the game to Edmonton. Again, any option to me, is better than a forfeit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm sure no Argo fan wants to lose a home game but a forfeit does exactly that. It may come down to a choice of the best of a number of bad options. The best choice is a postponed game played at BMO. However, it may be impossible to schedule around the CFL and TFC's schedules and if it means the Argos playing some games close together, that is not a great option. Playing at Tim Hortons in Hamilton is like playing in enemy territory with many in the crowd very anti Argo (remember the home games there a few years ago). Flying to a neutral site our west may not be great but if costs are covered by Edmonton, a place like Winnipeg could be very Argo friendly. At least this way we get to see the game on TV

Another point to keep in mind ----if the game is forfeited and fewer than 85% of the Argo players are vaccinated none of the Argo players will be paid for that game. That won't be good for team morale.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd be OK if the game was in Halifax... but playing in Hamilton like we did one time a few years back... just didn't seem right. Playing the game in Edmonton doesn't reflect well on our ownership group IMO... main thing we need is a good crowd at the up coming Ticat back to back game. Was great atmosphere at the opener , tail gate looked great, seemed like they sold a lot of Merchandise ...team played great... just have to keep things moving in the right direction.... was so nice to be back watching ARRgos football at the home opener... we really need to get fans out and get behind this team that right now appears to be a solid team...