Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Nick Arbuckle traded to Elks

As per Dunk and Naylor.

I realize he could've walked in the offseason, but I still think Argos are making a mistake.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Do they just like Pipkin more than Arbuckle now?

Is it a salary cap move?

Odd timing, but let's see what happens.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well, I got this one wrong! Edmonton was the only destination I had in mind though. Argos give Edmonton their starter for nothing! Hard to figure out the CFL somedays. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. Impossible to comprehend without some honest forthcomings. MBT is our man. Good thing I said I liked him

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Well I don't get this when we're fighting for first place and a possible playoff game.

He was brought in as the QB of the future. I won't go on a rant as we don't know all the reasons.
    -did he just not play up to expectations compared to MBT, then Pipkin?
    -did he have a poor work ethic/distraction in the dressing room
    -let it be known he didn't like Toronto and wouldn't resign
    -traded for cap reasons
    -Argos are already eyeing available QB's coming up this off season

For now it's all on MBT and Pipkin if he goes down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I do not get this trade. Especially after MBT 4 picks and arguably his worst game of the season.
    For me Arbuckle was the number 1 and would have started this weekend.
    I have not been on this site for a while, however on another issue I am sure someone has mentioned or started a thread about the ludicrous league decision to go with 2 QB's instead of the traditional 3.
    Which idiot decided on this and is it all $ related?
    There are plenty of examples already about teams playing a non QB, Ottawa comes to mind earlier.
    Not to mention how this weekend BC were required to go with Reilly in the 4th quarter after the game was lost when the back up Canadian Rourke was hurt before even playing.
    Bring back the 3rd QB in time for the playoffs.....or sooner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, I am not overjoyed with this trade, but I did see it coming as I posted in the game day thread when the depth chart came out last Thursday.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...l=1#post156049

I was actually going to start a thread of how I thought the Argos should start Arbuckle this week, and we all know how big a backer of MBT I am. I just think he deserved another look because losing your spot to injury sucks. Now, Kelly is an interesting prospect if they can sign him. He put up some really good numbers at Ole Miss. I was thinking the Argos would be trying to get someone like Sir Vincent Rogers out of this deal though.

I wonder if he asked for a trade after being demoted. Argos must really be high on Pipken to make this move at this time. To me, the worst part of this trade is that thought "Does anyone in Toronto know who Arbuckle is? Other than us hard core Argos fans.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    There are plenty of examples already about teams playing a non QB, Ottawa comes to mind earlier.
    Though I agree with your thoughts on 2 QB's compared to three, you said there are plenty of examples. Other than the one that "comes to mind" name another time a non QB had to play QB in the CFL due to in game injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I can understand if they don't think Arbuckle is the QB of the future, but this is the stretch run, we're in a super-competitive three-way race, and it's extremely uncertain that Pipkin is a legit #2. Why make this trade now?

As for Chad Kelly, he's a very talented player. He also has a history of being a headcase. They better get this right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    Well I don't get this when we're fighting for first place and a possible playoff game.

He was brought in as the QB of the future. I won't go on a rant as we don't know all the reasons.
    -did he just not play up to expectations compared to MBT, then Pipkin?
    -did he have a poor work ethic/distraction in the dressing room
    -let it be known he didn't like Toronto and wouldn't resign
    -traded for cap reasons
    -Argos are already eyeing available QB's coming up this off season

For now it's all on MBT and Pipkin if he goes down.
    All of those questions are pertinent. I wonder if it is a combination of things--attitude/risk of him not re-signing/free up money for either OL or DL help/etc
    I just get the feeling there is another shoe about to drop. Guess we will have to wait and see what develops.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    He also has a history of being a headcase.
    He's just misunderstood. Not like that James Wilder fellow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It's been clear (to me at least) for weeks that Dinwiddie likes MBT more than Arbuckle, and that he really likes Pipkin. I would have liked to get more for Arbuckle than a draft pick and a neg list QB, but if he was down to third on the depth chart (which last week's roster suggested), then it would not be super tenable to keep him as the highest paid QB on the roster. Sooner or later that situation would get ugly. So move on from a guy who, it must be noted, has started all of 11 CFL games, with his team winning six of those and with him showing promises of greatness mixed with a disturbing proclivity to turn the ball over.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    The 1 year deal he was on is definitely a factor but I was really hoping to have both for the playoff run. In fact, as much as I think MBT is a warrior, I was hoping for Arbuckle to start this week. Sadly, he is added to the list of QB's that I had high hopes for that the Argos have given up on or that never panned out.

Since I've been following the team, that list includes:
    1. Matt Dungian
    2. Rickey Foggie
    3. Tracy Ham
    4. Marvin Graves
    5. Andre Ware
    6. Jay Barker
    7. Marcus Brady
    8. Michael Bishop
    9. Zach Collaros
    10. Trevor Harris
    11. Cody Fajardo
    12. James Franklin
    13. Nick Arbuckle

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's been clear (to me at least) for weeks that Dinwiddie likes MBT more than Arbuckle, and that he really likes Pipkin. I would have liked to get more for Arbuckle than a draft pick and a neg list QB, but if he was down to third on the depth chart (which last week's roster suggested), then it would not be super tenable to keep him as the highest paid QB on the roster. Sooner or later that situation would get ugly. So move on from a guy who, it must be noted, has started all of 11 CFL games, with his team winning six of those and with him showing promises of greatness mixed with a disturbing proclivity to turn the ball over.
    I think you are right, but that doesn't make this situation right. Like others have mentioned, I wonder what else is going on behind the scenes. I guess it's the good ship MBT for the rest of this season.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder who his agent is? Perhaps they made such high demands that the Argos didn't think it was worth it. I'm sure Arbuckle wanted to eventually re-sign for more money and of course, more guarantee of being the guy going forward. Can't say I'm happy, he's still young but if he wanted to leave then what can you do? Might as well of traded for Harris, but I don't think Argos could afford that. I just find it odd because I thought Dinwiddie-Arbuckle was almost a package.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Though I agree with your thoughts on 2 QB's compared to three, you said there are plenty of examples. Other than the one that "comes to mind" name another time a non QB had to play QB in the CFL due to in game injury.

You are right, there is only the one example in Ottawa early on.
    But there are others involving lack of strategy since there are only 2 QB's.
    If I recall last weekend in the Ottawa debacle RNation stayed with Duck and there is no question would have gone with the third QB had there been one on the roster since he was unimpressive.
    That team needs to have an open full game competition with 3 QB's on the roster and all playing for next year.
    Again, I don't understand this move as it makes the league seem bush and again going back to Reilly, ok who is not having a good year, he had to play almost the entire 4th quarter when the rookie backup was deemed injured. Can you imagine if he got hurt while playing in garbage time?

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Great trade in my opinion. We ride or die with MBT.
    Behind the scenes maybe Nick was offered a one year extension - he may have balked; seeking a starters position and starters cash.

Having him walk for nothing is probably not the best going forward for the team. Dangerous ? Sure. Risky surely. One bad hit and Pipkin comes in.

But a worthy move with Kelly to negotiate with. I bet he signs this next season under MBT or Pipkin plus a likely second round pick to boot.

Great value for someone who fell in our lap for nothing..

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I do not get this trade. Especially after MBT 4 picks and arguably his worst game of the season.
    For me Arbuckle was the number 1 and would have started this weekend.
    I have not been on this site for a while, however on another issue I am sure someone has mentioned or started a thread about the ludicrous league decision to go with 2 QB's instead of the traditional 3.
    Which idiot decided on this and is it all $ related?
    Not to mention how this weekend BC were required to go with Reilly in the 4th quarter after the game was lost when the back up Canadian Rourke was hurt before even playing.
    Bring back the 3rd QB in time for the playoffs.....or sooner.
    A few teams have dressed three QBs this season. It's up to the coach to decide on the roster. IIRC, if they dress a third QB, they must dress one fewer designated import.

A thought occurred to me about the trade: what is Arbuckle's vaccination status? Could it be that he's refusing to be vaxxed?

Having said that, I believe the league's policy would allow him, as an Argo based in Toronto, to continue playing in any East timezone games, which includes the Grey Cup. But I'm not 100% sure on that policy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I can understand if they don't think Arbuckle is the QB of the future, but this is the stretch run, we're in a super-competitive three-way race, and it's extremely uncertain that Pipkin is a legit #2. Why make this trade now?

As for Chad Kelly, he's a very talented player. He also has a history of being a headcase. They better get this right.
    I share your concerns, better hope MBT stays healthy as we just traded our insurance policy at QB which is concerning considering the recent performance of the O-Line.
    In fairness to Arbuckle he has been injured for a good stretch of the season and hasn’t been able to truly show his potential.
    What we did see of him were some moments of promise mixed with some poor on field decisions and a tendency to fumble the football.
    The writing was on the wall when Arbuckle was dropped to third string on the depth chart.
    You are correct, hopefully they have made the correct decision, time will tell.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don’t hate MBT and I know Dinwiddie has to show his support for his guy going forward but calling MBT the face of franchise just doesn’t seem right to me.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don’t hate MBT and I know Dinwiddie has to show his support for his guy going forward but calling MBT the face of franchise just doesn’t seem right to me.
    Like it or not, QB is the most high profile and scrutinized (as evident on this forum) player on any football team. By default, that makes them the face of their franchises.