OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Toronto FC

Rogers Centre To Host Toronto FC’s CCL Quarterfinals

December 21, 2011

CCL match set to take place on Wednesday March 7 at 8 p.m

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club will host their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match against the LA Galaxy at Rogers Centre. The match is set to take place on Wednesday, March 7 at 8 p.m., with the concluding quarterfinal match in Los Angeles on Wednesday, March 14.

“A lot of thought went into selecting the home site for this very important match,” said Toronto FC Senior Director of Business Operations, Paul Beirne. “While we would have loved to host our quarterfinal match at our home, BMO Field, ultimately the decision came down to our ability to deliver a safe and enjoyable event in a venue that could withstand the unpredictability of March’s weather conditions.

We felt that BMO Field’s infrastructure in its present state combined with the exposure to the winter conditions would not deliver on this experience.”

Beirne added that Toronto FC and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment studied the feasibility of upgrading BMO Field’s infrastructure to prepare it for the winter CCL match. However, the time required to undertake the work would not allow the facility to be ready for early March.

Sandy Bourne, Vice-President Sponsorships, BMO Bank of Montreal said, “We support the team wherever they play, and wish them the very best. At the end of the day, fan comfort and safety are our key concern and we fully support the decision to hold the game at Rogers Centre.”

The CCL match will be played on artificial turf, indoors with the Rogers Centre’s roof closed.

Ticket details for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match between Toronto FC and LA Galaxy will be announced in early January
    Last edited by T-Bone; 12-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Here we go again :-)

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    i thought tfc had their "own" stadium....so its ok for them to play at the dome, but not ok for cfl at bmo?
    Did you read the article? The reasons for the move are in it. Also Rogers Centre can accommodate a FIFA regulation size pitch. BMO Field can not accommodate a CFL regulation size field which is why the CFL determined that BMO Field is not suitable for CFL use.

December 16, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club has issued the following statement following receipt of the CFL’s Feasibility Study on BMO Field:

“We would like to thank the Board of Governors of the Canadian Football League for authorizing a feasibility study on the potential of BMO Field as a home for the Toronto Argonauts. We accept the study’s main finding that while BMO Field is a fine facility, our unique brand of Canadian football could not be played there in its current state. In particular, extensive field measurements performed by a surveyor have indicated BMO field cannot adequately accommodate our game.

Our focus is now squarely on providing great game day entertainment in 2010 for our fans at Rogers Centre, a place we have been proud to call home for two decades. It is a first-class facility with state of the art media facilities, locker room facilities and technology. Our season ticket holders remain happy with Rogers Centre and its accessibility to the downtown core, as well as its indoor option in inclement weather. Rogers Centre is able to house our existing fan base and provides opportunity for future growth.

Our ownership now plans to reflect on its future over the holiday season and does not anticipate any further announcements until the New Year.”
    The Montreal Alouettes play their post season games at Olympic Stadium, I don't see how this is any different then that.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 12-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    What did Angelo tell you about starting these threads!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    posting on the 1st page of what will be Argofans.com's longest thread!!!1!!
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So is this Champions League tournament bigger than the MLS? Toronto FC has been abysmal in their regular league play but are world-beaters this year in this Champions League business.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    no shit....i have known for years now that bmo could not accomidate the cfl...i did read the article yes, and understand why the move was done....my comment was just based on how tfc fans want nothing else at bmo, but need rogers centre when it comes down to it....

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    So is this Champions League tournament bigger than the MLS? Toronto FC has been abysmal in their regular league play but are world-beaters this year in this Champions League business.
    The Campions League is an international tournament so it is consider more important, making this the biggest game in TFC history so far. Unfortunately TFC has suffered from mismanagement in the past and this season was a rebuild year yet again. The team did improve though from July forward and I think we have the right coach and management team in place now to compete next season.

no shit....i have known for years now that bmo could not accomidate the cfl...i did read the article yes, and understand why the move was done....my comment was just based on how tfc fans want nothing else at bmo, but need rogers centre when it comes down to it....
    TFC fans didn't complain about the The Nationals playing their first season at BMO Field or the Canadian National Rugby Union team playing a game there this year. This issue is not that TFC fans want nothing else at BMO Field. In the case of the Argos moving in to BMO Field the issue is the building would have to be renovated which could possibly compromise sight lines and bring the integrity of the pitch in to question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Your sugar coating the issue a bit there T-Bone. We both know that if the Argos even played an exhibition game at BMO using the smaller field surface, that the RED Patch Boys and all the other TFC supporter groups, would be out in front of BMO protesting the game. Protesting another T.O team. You know its true as they had their protest plans already to go. They don't care about the nationals and the rugby team, as they are not threats. The Argos are. TFC fans think they own the public BMO stadium, we both know this to be true. i used to go to TFC games in their 1st and second year, the hatred by some of their fans to the Argos and CFL is palpable, you can feel it if you ever wear any CFL branding to any TFC game. It's so very very sad

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    i highly doubt the tfc fans dont want the argos there just because the sightlines of the "pitch"...its more then that

also, a "pitch" is what a person throws over home plate to a batter

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    Your sugar coating the issue a bit there T-Bone. We both know that if the Argos even played an exhibition game at BMO using the smaller field surface, that the RED Patch Boys and all the other TFC supporter groups, would be out in front of BMO protesting the game. Protesting another T.O team. You know its true as they had their protest plans already to go. They don't care about the nationals and the rugby team, as they are not threats. The Argos are. TFC fans think they own the public BMO stadium, we both know this to be true. i used to go to TFC games in their 1st and second year, the hatred by some of their fans to the Argos and CFL is palpable, you can feel it if you ever wear any CFL branding to any TFC game. It's so very very sad
    You are correct that TFC fans don't care about The Nationals or the Canadian National Rugby Union team playing at BMO Field because those teams don't need to retrofit the building to play there. The only threat the Argos pose to TFC fans is the changes to BMO Field if they were to move in, which is the point I have already made. Since that threat was pretty much neutralized on December 16, 2009 I haven't seen any protest at BMO Field regarding the Argos.

i highly doubt the tfc fans dont want the argos there just because the sightlines of the "pitch"...its more then that
    The only other reason I can think of that TFC fans would be upset with modifications of BMO Field to accommodate the Argos is that the building was the first ever soccer specific stadium in the country. It is sort of a symbol of a new era for soccer in Canada a sport that has been underrated for far longer in this country than the Argos have been in Toronto.

also, a "pitch" is what a person throws over home plate to a batter
    It's your choice to be ignorant of the multiple definitions of the word however it will not stop others from using them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    You are correct that TFC fans don't care about The Nationals
    lacrosse
    or the Canadian National Rugby Union team
    rugby

the building was the first ever soccer specific stadium in the country.
    Apparently not.

It is sort of a symbol of a new era for soccer in Canada a sport that has been underrated for far longer in this country than the Argos have been in Toronto.
    T-Bone, as usual you make many good points but it's hard to understand what you mean by this. The Argos have been in Toronto since 1873. Have soccer fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1872?

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Apparently not.
    Just because the building can accommodate other sports doesn't mean the building is not soccer specific. The building was designed for soccer and it is called the National Soccer Stadium for FIFA International Matches.

Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    T-Bone, as usual you make many good points but it's hard to understand what you mean by this. The Argos have been in Toronto since 1873. Have soccer fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1872?
    Have Argo fans been grumbling about a lack of respect since 1873? I thought the Argos were well respected in this city and it wasn't until more recently that Argos fans started feeling disrespected.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Just out of curiosity, are there any Argo threads on the TFC fan forum?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Those Red Patch folks would probably track down anyone who posted about the Argos on there and kill them.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's your choice to be ignorant of the multiple definitions of the word however it will not stop others from using them.
    it was a friggin joke dude.....lighten up...i would think the "quotation marks" would have made it obvious....
    Last edited by matchuk; 01-04-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Let me Google that for you.

it was a friggin joke dude.....lighten up...i would think the "quotation marks" would have made it obvious....
    If that's the case I apologize. I'm still curious as to what "more" you believe there is to TFC fans not wanting the Argos at BMO Field.

In other news: Beckham Remains? The Real Story

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'll take that as a no.