Thread: Toronto FC

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    99% of the time, the person you speak of doesn't start this TFC/soccer talk. I only mentioned it here because it was relevant to the conversation.
    You are correct it is usually others that bring up TFC to either compare a situation or just bash more or less, not disagreeing with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Hey SnowRogue, to change the topic, you have Winnipeg connections, correct? What's the story on the new stadium in Winnipeg? Will the Argos have to play their scheduled game on September 29th at the old stadium or is there still a chance that they will be playing at the new one?
    Honestly Ravi I have no idea, so many rumours currently, Mayor Katz recently brought up that Investors Group Field will not be ready until the Banjo Bowl, some construction "experts" have stated it will not be ready at all this season and will open up for 2013, and the Bombers have stated that if the steel piles are off the field the week of May 1st, July 26th (First regular season Bomber home game) is the start date. IMO I could see the Banjo bowl start, but I'm no construction expert, so it could go either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I never said that but equality isn't a one way street. All I said is if someone is going to criticize one team they should be equally objective and criticize other teams in the same manner, otherwise they are just haters.
    Last season there was a lot of criticism of the team, from Cleo Lemon, Jyles, the defense, the Argos going 6-12, smoke and mirrors, even some fans did bring up how announced crowds were 18-20,000 but you couldn't tell by the bums in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Can't disagree with you there. As I have said many times, I am a huge Leafs fan as well as Argos (God how I miss the days when they were the only teams in this city), and the Leafs also take a lot of abuse on here, but I never get bent out of shape and defend them, because I know this is a Argos forum.
    I know what you mean Angelo, I'm a Canucks fan and the Nucks take a lot of abuse everywhere, doesn't bother me though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=394091
    Let's be honest this has nothing to do with the game of soccer, and everything to do with money.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=394091
    Let's be honest this has nothing to do with the game of soccer, and everything to do with money.
    You're not going to get any argument from me about that. Like I said here:

Many TFC fans aren't happy about this either. Apparently Rogers is behind the event. A few years back fans made it known to the club we want the team to be focused on making the payoffs not playing meaningless friendless in the middle of the season were players could potentially get hurt etc. So the club said they would stop doing them and took the friendlies out of the season ticket package replacing them with two Canadian Championship tickets instead. I know most of the hardcore fans won't be attending the Liverpool match.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not, and this site is honestly starting to turn me away because of all the TFC/soccer talk.
    Oh wait I can't talk negatively about TFC, because fans can't grow a pair and think for themselves, now because Argos fans want fairness in the media, one of their fans want fairness on this site, give me an effin break.

Agreed with you.
    How about just an Argo and CFL fan only, with all other leagues and local teams pricing themselves out of reality both ticket wise and overpaid athletes.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    TFC's announced attendance today was 19,255.
    Really ? That's what 88% capacity looks like / C'mon Man !
    It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible 19,225 tickets were sold for the game.

I guess by that standard TFC is doing alright then.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 04-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible $19,225 tickets were sold for the game.

MLS counts tickets distributed and not people though the gates.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    this site is honestly starting to turn me away because of all the TFC/soccer talk.
    That's ironic as it appears you currently hold the record of most posts with references to TFC outside of "The Toronto FC Thread."

Toronto FC manager says playoffs are still in reach of winless MLS team

April 24, 2012

Neil Davidson

Toronto FC is down but not out. Making the playoffs is still a reality. And the team will turn things around.

A smiling Aron Winter was spreading the positives around Tuesday like an avid gardener with a fresh batch of manure.

The Dutch manager still insists his 0-6-0 MLS team is about to bloom.

While some see Toronto FC as one loss from tying the league record for worst start to a season, Winter sees it as one win away from starting something special.

“It’s very important to get the first points. And the moment we get the first points, everything is going to turn,” the Dutch manager said.

“And I believe in it. We’re going to fix it.”

Winter says he has the backing of ownership to do that, although there seemed to be a clock ticking to comments made Sunday to The Canadian Press by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment COO Tom Anselmi.

“They have to get this straightened out. Our fans deserve better,” said Anselmi.

Winter acknowledges the situation is difficult — “not nice” has been his familiar phrase — but his optimism was impressive Tuesday as reporters questioned his future.

Still, things don’t get any easier for TFC as it visits Real Salt Lake, which at 5-3-0 has 15 more points, on Saturday.

Real’s league record at home is 33-5-13 since the start of the 2009 season. Toronto’s away record over the same period is 6-29-14.

The one road win on Winter’s TFC resumé was a 4-2 victory over the Columbus Crew last September.

On the positive front, Toronto will have the advantage of rest since Real Salt Lake plays Wednesday at FC Dallas.

Job 1 for Toronto is to stop leaking goals. The team has conceded three or more in three of its six league losses.

“The first thing that we have to address is keeping the ball out of our own net,” said forward Ryan Johnson. “If we can do that, then anything can happen in Salt Lake.”

Frailties in TFC’s backline have forced Winter to play midfielder Torsten Frings as a defensive stopper, but the pending return of Jamaican international Dicoy Williams and American Jeremy Hall from injury may give him more defensive options. A healthy Adrian Cann has already stepped right back into the lineup, although his and Frings’ lack of pace was exposed by Chicago’s speedy strike duo of Patrick Nyarko and Dominic Oduro in last Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the visiting Fire.

Winter would clearly like to deploy Frings in his preferred midfield position, where the former German international can pull the strings and move forward as needed. But he hasn’t felt confident enough to push Frings forward.

Winter’s options outside the squad are limited other than MLS trades. And while he can tinker, he realizes that rearranging the lineup each week takes a toll on consistency and confidence.

But Johnson, for one, expects changes.

“I definitely think so. This is history that we’re making — in the wrong direction. And I think you have to make some changes at some place, I don’t know where. But some change needs to happen. Things can’t just continue to go on the same way.”

Winter rarely shows his cards but has been more candid in recent days as his team swirled around the MLS drain.

On Saturday, in assessing his club’s problems, he cited a lack of quality and the need for better players in some positions.

Those comments raised the hackles of some players but Winter stood by his words Tuesday, saying simply, “It’s true.”

Winter rejected any suggestion that his formation, which has come under fire in some quarters, was at fault.

“My vision with three strikers — 4-3-3 — is going to stay always.”

He also pointed the finger at veteran leadership on the field in the absence of Frings, who returned on the weekend after five weeks away due to a hamstring strain.

“We need some more personalities on the pitch,” he said.

Asked to elaborate, Winter said: “We need players coaching (on the pitch).”

“It’s strange because in the CONCACAF Champions League, that was a team that was coaching (itself) and at a certain moment it slipped away.”

Johnson gave his own thumbs up to Winter — “I believe in Aron. I have confidence in him” — and agreed with his manager that the playoffs are still a possibility.

“It’s still early and we’re in the East (conference),” he said. “If we were in the West, I think it would be a different story, to be realistic. Being in the East, we can expect a lot of teams to drop points.

“And if we do what we’re supposed to do and start picking up some points sooner than later, it’ll put us right back in that (playoff) hunt.”

Five teams make the playoffs from each conference. Toronto, in 10th spot in the weaker East, is currently eight points behind fifth-place Houston.

Winter’s team has matched the 2001 D.C. United team for the second-worst start in league history. The worst start belongs to the 1999 Kansas City Wizards.

If the losing streak continues, one wonders how much more time Winter has.

Asked if he feared for his manager’s job, 21-year-old forward Reggie Lambe paused.

“I don’t want to answer that question,” he eventually replied.

After Real Salt Lake, Toronto travels to Montreal for a midweek Canadian Championship game with the Impact before returning to BMO Field to host D.C. United on May 5

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    That's ironic as it appears you currently hold the record of most posts with references to TFC outside of "The Toronto FC Thread."
    Confirmed.

T-Bone, I'm upset your losing this 14-27.

If you guys don't want to talk about TFC, then don't talk about TFC. But don't complain that there's to much TFC talk, when it's the very people who are complaining about it that keep bringing it up. I brought it up because it was relevant to the conversation and why we had a Wednesday game.

Guess that's the benefit of a 34 game season. And each win worth 3 points.

However, only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12) I don't see TFC winning or draw 22 games this season.

In tough over the next few games with Real Salt Lake, D.C. United Twice, then Philly at the end of May. If they don't get points in at least 3 of them, they are done!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Confirmed.

If you guys don't want to talk about TFC, then don't talk about TFC. But don't complain that there's to much TFC talk, when it's the very people who are complaining about it that keep bringing it up. I brought it up because it was relevant to the conversation and why we had a Wednesday game.
    Why don't you 2 just get a room?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    On Saturday!

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Why don't you relax, have a drink?

On Saturday!
    See you Saturday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Confirmed.

The fact that you guys are wasting your own time to calculate posts is hilarious.
    I love how you two complain about people ganging up on TFC, yet you have no issue doing it to others
    Angelo's right get a room, happy that you guys are friends and all, but this is pathetic to say the least.

I have no issue with people bringing up the team to compare them to other T.O sports, its the fans coming onto an Argos fan forum defending them and having a love fest that I take issue with.
    No need for caped crusaders here, you might change Mulder's mind about TFC and soccer, even Ravi is watching more of it, but you can't "save" the rest of us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Why don't you relax, have a drink?
    As a matter of fact I'm sitting in the office doing just that right now. Gotta love when the big bosses come up for a town hall.

I have no issue with people bringing up the team to compare them to other T.O sports, its the fans coming onto an Argos fan forum defending them and having a love fest that I take issue with.
    No need for caped crusaders here, you might change Mulder's mind about TFC and soccer, even Ravi is watching more of it, but you can't "save" the rest of us.
    lmfao!!!!!!!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    The fact that you guys are wasting your own time to calculate posts is hilarious.
    I love how you two complain about people ganging up on TFC, yet you have no issue doing it to others
    Angelo's right get a room, happy that you guys are friends and all, but this is pathetic to say the least.
    Wasting time? It took 2 minutes to search mentions of "TFC" to find out how many mentions in the double blue room there was, then I searched by member name, gave me numbers right away. So all in all maybe 5 minutes.
    I find it funny you think it took "time" to "calculate"

You bitch and whine about TFC, and then decide there is too much TFC talk. That Sir, Is Pathetic.

I have no issues with bitching and whining about TFC, sometimes I do get involved, and everytime T-bone gets involved it's to encourage discussion and dismay all the non-sense rumours or skewed facts because some people here just can't handle the truth. Then, Start to complain again because in the end they don't have an argument vs the facts.

At what point does it stop? At what point does everyone just grow up? Either make a discussion and educate yourself and share your point of view or just shut up.

You guys bitch at the mods and I for being "Goderators" for allegedly deleting posts and topics, over stepping our authority and even when I banned someone after 5 complaints, 2 emails and a phone call, and I get bitched at. How nice?

Yet you want me to ban someone, who's an Argo Season Ticket holder, May not fully understand the game in all it's parts, but is still just as passionate as anyone else here about both the CFL and the Argonauts. Just because he's invoking section 2b of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Shame.

I'm now splitting this thread and locking the non-sense that went on, If you wish to discuss how upset you are about the Argo game on a Wednesday because Rogers wants Liverpool to come on Grass on a Saturday at the Rogers Centre, please do. But if I see anymore bullshit posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand i'll give all parties involved a few days to think about what they've done, and how they could have done it differently.

If you have any issues PM me.

Stephen

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's obvious they are not announcing how many people walked through the gate but there are 18,000 season tickets sold so it's very possible 19,225 tickets were sold for the game.
    Just a question, how many are season ticket holders though ?
    75% of 21,140 is 15,855
    or 75% of 21,859 is 16,394 (Wikipedia has two different capacity numbers)

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Just a question, how many are season ticket holders though ?
    75% of 21,140 is 15,855
    or 75% of 21,859 is 16,394 (Wikipedia has two different capacity numbers)
    16,000 is the last reported number. All we know after that is that season tickets have been sold out every year since. We also know that this year they started selling season tickets in the north stand which they have not done in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Guess that's the benefit of a 34 game season. And each win worth 3 points.

However, only 5 teams in the past 5 seasons has made the playoffs with 12 or more losses (one with 13 rest with 12) I don't see TFC winning or draw 22 games this season.

In tough over the next few games with Real Salt Lake, D.C. United Twice, then Philly at the end of May. If they don't get points in at least 3 of them, they are done!
    Well, they have fared no better in league play in May as they are now 0-9 with 0 points. They are doing much better in Canadian championship competition but they have struggled mightily in league competition.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Well, they have fared no better in league play in May as they are now 0-9 with 0 points. They are doing much better in Canadian championship competition but they have struggled mightily in league competition.
    To finish off the month of May they play Philly. Which at first glance looks like TFC's best chance at a win because they are second last in the east. But Philly at least looks someone solid defensively, with a goal difference of -5 compared to TFC's -14

Fans on certain fan boards are calling for the firing or coach/GM and executive's with MLSE and even sale of the team. Makes me want to comment on something like "Guess Cynamon and Sokolowski don't look that bad now" in reference to when they were interested in bringing an MLS team to Toronto first, and how the fan boards reacted to that after the fact. (lets just say some pretty harsh things were called)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStar.com View Post
    Toronto FC is down but not out. Making the playoffs is still a reality. And the team will turn things around.
    sounds exactly like any other MLSE operated team...just change the team name at the front
    Last edited by Mulder; 05-22-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This team just gets crappier from year to year. Personally I couldn't care but it just gives Toronto haters more to go on and on about. How many games has Vancouver won? I'm pretty sure they've won a few. How are crowds at these games? Seems like everthing MLSE touches turns straight into SH!T yet they still make boatloads of CASH just like Oliver. haha. Says plenty about sports fans in TO.