Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto FC

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Late yesterday afternoon I was at Pearson picking my wife up and there where three fellows with oh so sweet TFC scarves wrapped around their necks waiting like school kids at a door at halloween. I guess that new overly priced help was coming in from England. Basically I don't care but I'm glad Argo fans don't dress like that. Nice to see that soccer has an appeal to the Pride Crowd.
    Last edited by 1argoholic; 01-13-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    So anyone who wears a scarf is a homosexual?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Late yesterday afternoon I was at Pearson picking my wife up and there where three fellows with oh so sweet TFC scarves wrapped around their necks waiting like school kids at a door at halloween. I guess that new overly priced help was coming in from England. Basically I don't care but I'm glad Argo fans don't dress like that. Nice to see that soccer has an appeal to the Pride Crowd.
    Not cool dude. Keep your discriminatory small minded BS to yourself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Why do you feel the need to put down and attempt to make fun of the fans of TFC? Many people would think the way the Argoholics dressed was quite easy to make fun of.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Why do you feel the need to put down and attempt to make fun of the fans of TFC? Many people would think the way the Argoholics dressed was quite easy to make fun of.
    I think the more important issue here is the use of the "Pride Crowd" in a negative context. Like I said that kind of discriminatory small minded BS does not belong here. I couldn't care less what sexual orientation those fans were. I'm glad to hear there were fans out there wearing their colours with pride. Good comparison though about the way the Argoholics dress and peoples perceptions, to each their own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not a Toronto No Names fan to say the least , but good for them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't know enough about Defoe to know how big he is but would TFC's signing of him be equivalent to when the Argos signed Rocket Ismail in 1991? Also, what is the average salary in the MLS?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I don't know enough about Defoe to know how big he is but would TFC's signing of him be equivalent to when the Argos signed Rocket Ismail in 1991? Also, what is the average salary in the MLS?
    I wouldn't compare him with Rocket perhaps more to Ricky Williams minus the suspension. Rocket was the best player in college, Defoe is 31 but a proven player so I'll compare him more to an experienced NFLer rather than a projected top pick.

Avg. salary is 160k, with a minimum of 35k and the highest being $4.35M excluding the two new signings.

The MLS lists all of the salaries for the 2013 season, something which is kept private in the CFL http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-salaries-of-every-mls-player-493176055

Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 01-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Second look at it, just noticed that someone I used to play with (TFC rookie) got paid 46k. I am very surprised to see an NCCA soccer player get paid that much. Thought it would be a lot less.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Good on TFC for signing some big names, generating some buzz and shouting out to their fans. I agree with T-Bone that these signings, and the way they were announced, seem to bode well for how things will be done for the Argos if they end up owning the team.

The regular jabs at TFC and its fans on this forum are pointless and unnecessary. The occasional jabs at homosexuality are offensive and small-minded.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    In terms of money, yes the Defoe signing is as big as the Rocket Ismail signing. Defoe has just become the highest paid player in MLS. His base salary is being reported at $8.3 million a year. Beckham's base salary was $6.5 million a year but he also had revenue sharing included in his contract with the Galaxy that bumped him up to $10 million a year. The other big thing with the Defoe signing is the international attention this is bringing not only on Toronto FC but MLS as a whole. It's a bit harder to rate that but it is good for the league. Defoe is not the only talent that TFC added yesterday though. You can't forget Michael Bradley. At 26, a US national team player at the peak of his career is probably the better acquisition as we hopefully will get his best years out of him. Obviously big salaries don't always equal big performances but it's hard to image TFC not being better off with these two very talented players on the pitch. Only time will tell, but things are looking up for TFC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Second look at it, just noticed that someone I used to play with (TFC rookie) got paid 46k. I am very surprised to see an NCCA soccer player get paid that much. Thought it would be a lot less.
    I believe the $35,125 figure was the minimum salary for a developmental player contract and the league minimum was $46,500 last season which will be going up to $47,000 this year. It looks like Defoe and Bradley are going to be the two highest paid players in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Well Tim Leiweke said on TSN Drive last night said TFC is not profitable, won't be profitable this season, and if they are "perfect" next season they "might be profitable".

It removes TFC's fans arguments about the Argos not being profitable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Well Tim Leiweke said on TSN Drive last night said TFC is not profitable, won't be profitable this season, and if they are "perfect" next season they "might be profitable".

It removes TFC's fans arguments about the Argos not being profitable.
    With a stadium renovation, including more seats with increased prices, they can be profitable. Foremost, they have to develop a winning culture, which in turn will result to increased attendance. Once this is established, the process of renovating, slowly increasing prices and welcoming the Argos will not face terrible opposition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    They are definitely blowing the bank on this team in '15. Kind of a now or never attitude.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    They are definitely blowing the bank on this team in '15. Kind of a now or never attitude.
    Just out of curiosity, could the Impact afford these kinds of salaries? What is the reaction in Montreal to Toronto FC's high profile signings?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    What is the reaction in Montreal to Toronto FC's high profile signings?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Just out of curiosity, could the Impact afford these kinds of salaries? What is the reaction in Montreal to Toronto FC's high profile signings?
    There is very few teams that could spend this much money, not only in salaries, but the transfer fees paid. Then again, they don't have the mighty Maple Leaf engine behind them. LA, Seattle and maybe NY could. When TFC claims this a big deal, it really is by MLS standards.

Most opposing fans can not believe the money they are spending and hope for some failure. A bit of jealousy I suppose. I do have concerns with the designated player rules, as the CFL struggled with them in the past. The only thing that makes this a success is winning, as always. If TFC do not get results, it would be a colossal, embarrassing blunder.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    pro soccer will be as popular as hockey/ the NHL here within a decade? - oh really - LOL - just frickin' priceless. plus there will be a 30 some team pro soccer league in the US with sold-out stadiums and a multi-billion dollar TV contract. Bottom line fascism rules !!!
    Last edited by argomANIA; 01-31-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Off Topic Comment(s) Removed After Post Moved Here

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Not really on topic but related to Leiweke's comment about soccer becoming as popular as NHL---had dinner with seven guys tonight ---the sports talk was about the Leafs, Man U and the Argos/MLSE potential deal. Not once was the "bloody big deal" signings even mentioned---in fact I doubt if anyone, aside from the Man U fan, could even name the recently signed players. As the TV ratings show, soccer just does not show on the average Canadian's radar. My comments are not meant to discredit soccer (I was brought up with the Premier League) but rather to reflect that it remains a niche sport and because it is not part of the Canadian sports history and culture, is likely to stay that way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Not really on topic but related to Leiweke's comment about soccer becoming as popular as NHL---had dinner with seven guys tonight ---the sports talk was about the Leafs, Man U and the Argos/MLSE potential deal. Not once was the "bloody big deal" signings even mentioned---in fact I doubt if anyone, aside from the Man U fan, could even name the recently signed players. As the TV ratings show, soccer just does not show on the average Canadian's radar. My comments are not meant to discredit soccer (I was brought up with the Premier League) but rather to reflect that it remains a niche sport and because it is not part of the Canadian sports history and culture, is likely to stay that way.
    It will and never be anything more than a niche in the US or Canada. Also not to discredit soccer. Don't love it, don't hate it. Most people outside of a few fanatics don't care about Toronto FC, and that number is going down. You could also say that about the Argos, but I would argue that more people in this city have at least a soft spot for the Argos than TFC, mostly due to history, but also due to the fact that Canadian football has a history in this country. Soccer has none. Well almost none. Almost everyone who loves soccer here worships Euro teams, and thats it.