Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I think there needs to be a conversation about the Argos fan base. Is the City not working? Would Durham be better? Peel? Someone on an Argos Facebook group begged the question if Toronto is perhaps too white collar and that the Ticats appear to do better with being more blue collar. An interesting question. What is MLSE doing? Are they investing in marketing? Would it help? Pumping money into an MBT ad campaign would do little anyways IMO. The only issue is how these articles are written. Writers like Cox aren't really looking at the situation seriously, nor care to put any thought and research into his work. And it's written in a snarky tone and seems like the Argos folding is what he wishes for.

Even 3DN had a dumb article written from the Stamps fan who said travelling to BMO by traffic is a mess. Which is obvious given the size and population, however I started to drive to BMO vs GO and TTC, as its actually more convenient coming from Mississauga, but GO and TTC are still very good alternatives. The writer totally missed the point and it just seemed like a lazily written article. Imagine driving in Ottawa and Montreal from the suburbs to catch a game? It may actually be worse, but its cool to attack the Argos. I just don't think much research goes into any of these discussions and the original author isn't actually interested in finding answers. Rather than having the discussion, what's wrong in Toronto, they'd rather just take a shot at the team and see the haters pile on.
    I don't think the Argos are a lost cause in the city. The team needs to do a better job of convincing people to buy tickets. I guess Bobby Ackles of the Lions is a once in a lifetime type of guy, but he was able to do it in BC under Braley who we know wouldn't lift a finger to bring in crowds other than sign his check book (not that I'm taking that lightly). Ackles worked so hard to re-build the base in Vancouver and unfortunately when he passed away, the momentum was gone. Toronto definitely needs someone that can at least attempt to do what Ackles did.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think the Argos are a lost cause in the city. The team needs to do a better job of convincing people to buy tickets. I guess Bobby Ackles of the Lions is a once in a lifetime type of guy, but he was able to do it in BC under Braley who we know wouldn't lift a finger to bring in crowds other than sign his check book (not that I'm taking that lightly). Ackles worked so hard to re-build the base in Vancouver and unfortunately when he passed away, the momentum was gone. Toronto definitely needs someone that can at least attempt to do what Ackles did.
    I agree. I know it is a different situation, i.e. smaller market, only 1 other professional team etc., but the Ottawa Redblacks have done a masterful job in marketing and promoting their team. They generate a real buzz, and you can't tell me that can't be done here. It will take time and effort and money but it can be done. Whether it will be is a different question.

If the braintrust at MLSE thinks an XFL team is the answer, I for one will vote with my wallet. No way I would support that if it was responsible for gutting the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    A friend sent me this link just today. It mentions the "rumour mill" surrounding the Argos moving to the XFL and directly names Damien Cox as a source.

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/toronto-argonauts-played-last-season-in-the-cfl-are-the-argos-xfl-bound/

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    That's what Cox does, waits for the right time to get the most attention.
    Unfortunately, MLSE's commitment to the Argos appears very low. Numerous stories about how hard it's been to get tickets, season ticket holders put on hold or not called back.
    If you are going to use an article to bash something Argos-related, it should be towards MLSE's handling of the team. Like you say, lots of anecdotes out there of a skeleton staff making things much difficult for aspiring fans than they really should be.

The idea that he takes shots at the team's on-field performance is arguably the most laughable part of a joke of an article. I can't remember all the details, mind you, because one click was more than it deserved.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I agree. I know it is a different situation, i.e. smaller market, only 1 other professional team etc., but the Ottawa Redblacks have done a masterful job in marketing and promoting their team. They generate a real buzz, and you can't tell me that can't be done here. It will take time and effort and money but it can be done. Whether it will be is a different question.

If the braintrust at MLSE thinks an XFL team is the answer, I for one will vote with my wallet. No way I would support that if it was responsible for gutting the Argos.
    Same here. I couldn't in good conscience support a team run by an organization that pulls the team from the CFL. I was discussing boycotts with my brother and my boss at work, who is also a season seat holder, and they are with me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    He is and always was anti Argos and CFL, with his buddy Bob McCown.
    However, it will be interesting to see how much advertising MLSE will do this week and ultimately how many people show up on Sunday?
    How quickly we forget how Pro Argonauts Bob McCown was when David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski owned the team.

As to Cox, isn't he an Argonauts season ticket holder? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. The article seems fair to me. I don't like it but sometimes the truth hurts.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Never seen Cox. Simmons is a STH
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Damian Cox exposed (this is REALLY good):
    https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...reporter-book/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Ahahahahaha. What an absolute loser. Absolute GOLD!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ahahahahaha. What an absolute loser. Absolute GOLD!!!
    His biggest lunch-bag letdown.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    His biggest lunch-bag letdown.
    That and practically begging for a selfie from someone on twitter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Karma.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    That's what he was doing instead of real journalism. Karma indeed. I would have more time for people like him if we was up to date, current on all things Argo and CFL, and his article was from a place of knowledge and facts. Instead he will lazily write a slam article once a year that has many errors in it. Unfortunately casual fans may take him seriously. That is why media in Toronto are part of the problem the Argos face today. Only 1 reporter is ever at an Argo press conference or practice or game. Overdrive have yet to discuss anything Argo or CFL last week or this week. Even if they do, what will it matter. The next time the topic comes up will be 6 months from now. They talk NHL, MLB,NBA,NFL daily or weekly. For a product that draws 1 million TV viewers on cable, I can't understand how that happens. It doesn't make sense. It is intentional ignorance.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Overdrive have yet to discuss anything Argo or CFL last week or this week. Even if they do, what will it matter. The next time the topic comes up will be 6 months from now. They talk NHL, MLB,NBA,NFL daily or weekly. For a product that draws 1 million TV viewers on cable, I can't understand how that happens. It doesn't make sense. It is intentional ignorance.
    The only time Overdrive talks Argos is when Hayes is on vacation and Gord Miller guest hosts. That is proof that the hosts of the shows are what determines the topics more so than the producers. Hayes (and his entire family--oh do I huge dislike of his uncle John Derringer) seem to think the Green Bay Packers are the local team.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Overdrive is my go-to for Leaf related talk. I have no expectations that I'll get any Argo talk.

The new morning show host Korolnek is CFL friendly.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The only time Overdrive talks Argos is when Hayes is on vacation and Gord Miller guest hosts. That is proof that the hosts of the shows are what determines the topics more so than the producers. Hayes (and his entire family--oh do I huge dislike of his uncle John Derringer) seem to think the Green Bay Packers are the local team.
    His father as well did sports talk. I remember calling disagreeing with some negative comments he had about CFL in Toronto back in the early 2000s. Bryan at least doesn't trash the Argos. He just doesn't talk much about them.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Overdrive is my go-to for Leaf related talk. I have no expectations that I'll get any Argo talk.

The new morning show host Korolnek is CFL friendly.
    It had to start somewhere. I think the media should come to grips with the fact the NFL is not coming to Toronto. No individual in Canada is going to front $2 Billion for a team and stadium with a 100 year ROI. MLSE can't even do that. Not to mention the negative PR the NFL would have for killing a football league in the only other country on Earth playing high level professional football. That would be the opposite of growing the game.

Once the media grasp this, they can go about embracing what they have in the CFL and Argos and cover them as they do other teams and leagues. MLSE, Bell Rogers, others could actually make some money doing so if they applied themselves. I don't expect all journalists and media personalities to grasp that a 100 year ROI is not feasible but the big corporations who are their bosses should.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Why would you talk about the Argos when you could spend a good portion of the show waxing poetic about your golf game.🤮
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Why would you talk about the Argos when you could spend a good portion of the show waxing poetic about your golf game.🤮
    Yeah, that drives me nuts too. Odogg being the snob golfer complaining about slow play in front of him. Here’s a thought, try walking a course here and there and stop adding to the 50+ lbs you’ve gained since you were a pro athlete.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah, that drives me nuts too. Odogg being the snob golfer complaining about slow play in front of him. Here’s a thought, try walking a course here and there and stop adding to the 50+ lbs you’ve gained since you were a pro athlete.
    😂👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions