Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    It had to start somewhere. I think the media should come to grips with the fact the NFL is not coming to Toronto. No individual in Canada is going to front $2 Billion for a team and stadium with a 100 year ROI. MLSE can't even do that. Not to mention the negative PR the NFL would have for killing a football league in the only other country on Earth playing high level professional football. That would be the opposite of growing the game.

Once the media grasp this, they can go about embracing what they have in the CFL and Argos and cover them as they do other teams and leagues. MLSE, Bell Rogers, others could actually make some money doing so if they applied themselves. I don't expect all journalists and media personalities to grasp that a 100 year ROI is not feasible but the big corporations who are their bosses should.
    I don't buy the notion that there would be a significant PR backlash against the NFL if it were to put a team to Toronto. There would be some anti-NFL sentiment in the West, but nothing that would damage the NFL materially. And many, many people in southern Ontario would be overjoyed to have an NFL team in town -- far, far more (sadly) than would be distraught to lose the CFL team in Toronto.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't buy the notion that there would be a significant PR backlash against the NFL if it were to put a team to Toronto. There would be some anti-NFL sentiment in the West, but nothing that would damage the NFL materially. And many, many people in southern Ontario would be overjoyed to have an NFL team in town -- far, far more (sadly) than would be distraught to lose the CFL team in Toronto.
    I'm thinking moreso in football circles. The MFL wants to grow the game internationally, but in coming to Toronto, they would essentially kill the only other professional league. It's just a bad look and they can hold anywhere else....Mexico, UK, Japan, Europe.
    Like I was saying it's not going to happen. The economics don't make sense for an individual Canadian owner or even a corporate one now. In addition, they want to protect Buffalo market which already draws southern Ontario cash. And the NFL already has captured Canadian interest, and ticket buyers. Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Green Bay and some of the northeast teams get Canadian fans regularly. They already have our market. Placing a team in Toronto doesn't really move the needle much for them versus other markets.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    They already have our market. Placing a team in Toronto doesn't really move the needle much for them versus other markets.
    I agree 100% with this. There is little or no marginal advantage to be had for the NFL as a result of expanding into this market.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree 100% with this. There is little or no marginal advantage to be had for the NFL as a result of expanding into this market.
    It would be great if the Toronto centric media could fast forward to understanding all of this and embrace what they have in the Argos and the CFL, and continue to appreciate what the NFL is. Football is entertaining. Nobody ever said pick one or the other. Appreciate both. Both have rich histories, with plenty of excitement. Once they can be honest with themselves about these things, media stop being part of the problem.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    His father as well did sports talk. I remember calling disagreeing with some negative comments he had about CFL in Toronto back in the early 2000s. Bryan at least doesn't trash the Argos. He just doesn't talk much about them.
    Bryan Hayes has a fixation with "big four" American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), which is ironic since most national sports talk shows down south almost entirely ignore hockey and are increasingly ignoring baseball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    And cudos for MLB showing fans the finger again with a lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Accepting that this an old hobby horse of mine but why is there never media mention of MLSE looking to reduce losses by selling off TFC? The total salary costs are 3 to 4 times that of the Argos. The Canadian TV numbers are miniscule and this year their attendance has been even worse than the Argos.

MLSE could sell TFC to an American investor who could move the club to an American city. At the present inflated price (Forbes), MLSE could realize a huge profit on their investment and rid themselves of a money losing investment.

It has been rumoured that Rogers is looking to divest themselves of part or all of the Blue Jays to assist funding their buy out of Shaw. Perhaps the money from the sale of TFC could provide MLSE with the funds to purchase part or all of the Blue Jays. Owning the Blue Jays instead of TFC is a winner.

Just a thought.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    And cudos for MLB showing fans the finger again with a lockout.
    Contempt for the audience. Thats what killed Dennis Days career. - Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra on SNL
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Bryan Hayes has a fixation with "big four" American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), which is ironic since most national sports talk shows down south almost entirely ignore hockey and are increasingly ignoring baseball.
    It’s pretty sad when a Rogers show has more Argos content than a TSN show. Tim and Friends today had Justin Dunk to talk about the upcoming games, then Pinball was on. Donovan Bennett was the guest host today, but Tim regularly has Dunk on to talk CFL. Unlike Hayes, not too cool for the room.
    Pinball also indicated that they have already sold 20,000 tickets for the game. Going to be an awesome atmosphere.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    It’s pretty sad when a Rogers show has more Argos content than a TSN show. Tim and Friends today had Justin Dunk to talk about the upcoming games, then Pinball was on. Donovan Bennett was the guest host today, but Tim regularly has Dunk on to talk CFL. Unlike Hayes, not too cool for the room.
    Pinball also indicated that they have already sold 20,000 tickets for the game. Going to be an awesome atmosphere.
    That's amazing news. Can't wait for Sunday with a big crowd. 2017 was a great atmosphere. Tim has always been a CFL supporter. I wish TSN poached Tim and Sid to do CFL play by play.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If they have sold over 20,000 that is an organic sell. With just a little promotion form people like Pinball, and a little media exposure they have got to that number. I hope MLSE is paying attention. With just a little effort on their behalf they can make the Argos relevant again. On what other teams is the GM responsible for promotion? God Bless Pinball.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I know I’ve said this before, but I really think an early weekend time slot also helps. TSN would probably be against it, but I’d love to see the Argos schedule the majority of their home games for 1pm on Saturday or Sunday, and see if it makes a difference in attendance. I get this is the eastern final which brings out even the closet fans, but what harm is it to try? At the very least, it might make for more families to come out to games.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I know I’ve said this before, but I really think an early weekend time slot also helps. TSN would probably be against it, but I’d love to see the Argos schedule the majority of their home games for 1pm on Saturday or Sunday, and see if it makes a difference in attendance. I get this is the eastern final which brings out even the closet fans, but what harm is it to try? At the very least, it might make for more families to come out to games.
    I strongly believe all 4 eastern teams should alternate on a weekly basis at the 1:30 Sunday time slot after Labor Day.RSEQ teams always schedule 3-4 games per season on Sundays and draw well.If you want to bring families out it has to be convenient.Saturday games hurt USports(York/UT) and High School.It has to be an organic build throughout the GTA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Does Rogers finally realize that they're a part-owner of the Argos?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Just goes to show that there's still a market for Canadian football in the GTA. MLSE just needs to put the resources forward to more consistently tap into this market.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Damien would be complaining no matter what decision the league made.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Damien would be complaining no matter what decision the league made.
    Arash Midani is ranting too on this which is no surprise.

I wonder how him and Cox would feel if they have to quarantine for 4 days for every function they attend regardless of their vaccination status.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    He seems like a miserable man
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I would rather play and beat their best. Masoli or Evans. Not Watford. With a near sellout and probably $1.5 million viewers why would anybody be happy with not playing MBT? It was a league protocol, not government. And it's antiquated. Needed to be changed and this forced it. They would have done the same for Collaros, Masoli, Fajardo
    GO ARGOS!!!

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    He seems like a miserable man
    Lonely if he's relying on those online sites
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.