Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Draft

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I could live with a maximum of 3 American veteran players being designated as Nationals but only under certain conditions:
    .player has been with present team for the past 3 years or in the league for the past 5 years
    .the number of starting Canadians remains the same
    .the number of Canadian players on the roster is increased by 2

The increase in Canadian players could be balance by eliminating the Global players thus keeping the total roster number the same

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I could live with a maximum of 3 American veteran players being designated as Nationals but only under certain conditions:
    .player has been with present team for the past 3 years or in the league for the past 5 years

The increase in Canadian players could be balance by eliminating the Global players thus keeping the total roster number the same
    ??? - ok, but very doubtful that is going to happen. The whole GOB point here is that American players are automatically superior (and of course easier to find) and we need more of them to make the CFL better; so, my guess is what they will hope for - the # of "Canadians" does remain the same, but now 3 vet Americans count as Canadians; i.e. replace 3 / the real affect is more Americans allowed on the rosters.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I would like to see them keep the 7 "actual" Nationals at a minimum. The best scenario is to have 10 combined National starters with a minimum of 7 being actual Nationals + up to 3 naturalized Nationals. If you have 0 naturalized, then you must start 1o actual Nationals, but like OV, I don't see that happening. Sounds like the league wants to have the naturalized ones count as part of the 7 starters instead of in addition to. PA will not go for that, so my guess is we have status quo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    For me to accept the 3 designated American nationals, the seven Canadians must still be starters, the designated nationals must have played five years and have contributed to Canadian society outside of playing on the field (obviously the rules governing that would have to be worked out, but basically for me it would more than showing up for TC playing through the season and disappearing into the woodwork or America with no significant effort beyond the field would not be considered a designated candidate).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'll add my voice to those who support the naturalized Canadians only if the 7 "real" Canadian starters remain. Bump the ratio up to 10 and allow up to 3 naturalized. For me, I'd go with the qualification of naturaliziation being after completion of 3 full years of service for one team. If the player decides to sign for another team, he loses the naturalized status, no matter how long he's been in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I'll add my voice to those who support the naturalized Canadians only if the 7 "real" Canadian starters remain. Bump the ratio up to 10 and allow up to 3 naturalized. For me, I'd go with the qualification of naturaliziation being after completion of 3 full years of service for one team. If the player decides to sign for another team, he loses the naturalized status, no matter how long he's been in the league.
    I agree with this, To me the goal from adding naturalized nationals is to stop the year after year roster turnover we now see. Roster turnover in the CFL is a bigger problem than it is in other leagues IMO because in other leagues, turnover usually comes from within the league so at least fans already know all the new players joining their teams. In the CFL a lot of the roster turnover comes from the fact that you can get cheaper players that have never been in the CFL. To me that makes it even tougher for the casual fan to identify with the rosters.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I put the below in the CFL Screwing the Canadian QB thread... but works here too. Also, agree with those on the idea of 10 Canadians (min 7 True Canadians, and max 3 Naturalized Canadians), and as part of that, split the ratio between offence and defence.

Ambrosie is now known as a walking contradiction. Agree with all of you, commenting how good the Canadian talent is, with increasing numbers playing in US Colleges and also ending up in the NFL, yet the talent is too shallow for the CFL? Add to that, Ambrosie's clear inability to understand how numbers and scales work. Comparing the USports football system to that in the US is like comparing grapes to watermelons. You can't make the comparison without putting them on the same scale, but he often has a way with his creative accounting, so this is not surprising.

Whether grassroots participation is at a similar level or slight increase, it's really not that hard to help support the growth and help the league as well. As Jim Mullin has said in the past:

- Schools that can't afford any football program, support the creation/development of flag or touch football
    - Schools that have lower populations or funding will need to consider the 6 on 6 football
    - Schools that do have a full tackle, support them as well and get your team branding out in the community

More and more teams are working to help programs with both player and coaching development. We see this with the Argos, Lions, Elks, RedBlacks, Als.

Look at the CEBL roster rules - 10 players on roster, min 7 Canadians, with min 2 on the floor at all times. Morreale clearly says "CEBL is a Canadian league, made for Canadian players". And look at their growth. On the other hand, the CFL can't seem to recognize that it's not a bad thing to have Canadians, and just can't get out of it's own way.

Honestly, the longer Ambrosie is still here, you can't just enjoy the league. There is always something that makes us start to consider cancelling our seasons tickets. Cancelling Canadians out of the CANADIAN Football League, will definitely nudge us to cancelling ours.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Where is Ambrosie coming from? He pushed for the rather unsuccessful Global program at an unstated cost. He pushed to join up with an off-failed US spring league. He wavered on the change from 3 to 4 downs. Now it seems, he wants to reduce the number of Canadians playing in the league.

Why not cancel the questionable global project and put the money into helping grassroots Canadian football--or is that too simple--or too Canadian?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Where is Ambrosie coming from? He pushed for the rather unsuccessful Global program at an unstated cost. He pushed to join up with an off-failed US spring league. He wavered on the change from 3 to 4 downs. Now it seems, he wants to reduce the number of Canadians playing in the league.

Why not cancel the questionable global project and put the money into helping grassroots Canadian football--or is that too simple--or too Canadian?
    Ambrosie is a clown and a total failure, should have been shown the door a long time ago.
    I suspect he has a bright future in politics.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    If the Canadians are so useless, why bother having a draft -just let any team sign any Canadian they want since, the subtext of the CFL brass and ownership message is they don't impact the game much, and have a draft of the Americans, the centrepieces of the CFL braintrust? After all, they are the ones who can move a team up in the standings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The third ranked prospect on the CFL Scouting Bureau's January rankings, Enock Makonzo, who played for Coastal Carolina, has said he will forgo his last year of eligibility and turn pro, likely moving him up in the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Very disappointing to hear RB Adam Machart (Sask. Huskies) has decided to quit football, and let the CFL draft board know. I thought he had the skills to be a starting CFL RB, perhaps, if given a shot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Very disappointing to hear RB Adam Machart (Sask. Huskies) has decided to quit football, and let the CFL draft board know. I thought he had the skills to be a starting CFL RB, perhaps, if given a shot.
    That is a shame. He was one of the few players I actually got to watch a fair bit of in USports last season, which had me curious to see him at the next level. I wonder what prompted this decision.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Vilain & Doxtator not NFL drafted = potential good Argo news

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Vilain & Doxtator not NFL drafted = potential good Argo news
    Vilian did sign with Minnesota as an UDFA however. No word on Doxtator as of yet.

Correction Doxtator has signed a contract with the New Orleans franchise of the NFL.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 04-30-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    We won't see Vilain or Doxtator this year, I'd say. Good luck to both of them.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We won't see Vilain or Doxtator this year, I'd say. Good luck to both of them.

The Saints used a 1st rounder on an OT

The Vikings used a 5th rounder on a DE

I'd bet Vilain (who had a break-out year last season in US college ball, plus put up some very impressive Combine testing #s), has a much better chance of sticking in the NFL = Argos should think of going DE with their 1st pick this draft, from a good crop to choose from; another NI DE to team with Robbie Smith and the possibility of one DE spot being a full time National position would be nice, IMO. Mind you, if the new CBA sees 3 more veteran import players qualifying as Nationals (and they let them replace 3 starting Canadians) = that could change GOB thinking quite a bit, including for the upcoming draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Doxtator may be in tough as the Saints signed 4 OL undrafted free agents as well as a 1st rounder.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The signing of UDFA players in the NFL ahead of the CFL draft really kills a lot of the interest in the upcoming draft which sucks.
    Top Canadian prospects can bounce from practice roster to practice roster and still make much more $$ than starting in the CFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions