Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Any gathering abit north of Toronto? Finch and up would be great for me.

Argofan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Level
    Can the Argos really win this game? Just wanted to underline a few points being made on other CFL forums.

1) The Argos haven't won in Montreal in about 4 seasons. Molson Stadium has always been unkind to the Argos. The Alouettes can often stink it up while on road games but all of a sudden they become dominant on their home turf.

2) The key to beating the Alouettes' offense is getting pressure on Calvillo. The Argos gave up a few big plays to a lowly Bombers backup QB in Alex Brink. As old and frail as everyone makes Calvillo to be, he can make those BIG PLAYS with his big receivers and more consistently. I like Chris Jones' defense to get the job down. I remember him from when he coached under Don Matthews' and learned the vaunted, blitz crazy, STING defense. I don't expect the Argos to smash Calvillo down to the earth, but to just make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket. He's REALLY slow getting up from the turf after being knocked down. Can they pressure Calvillo JUST ENOUGH to get him off of his game?

3) Let's face it: the Alouettes' defense SUCKS and the Argos CAN EXPLOIT this weakness. It's almost a given that any team can put up 30 points on the Alouettes defense. The weakest chain on that defense is defensive back Wopamo Osaisai. He seems to be regularly featured on every receivers highlight reel and not because he's making interceptions and breaking up passes. This dude is getting BURNED FOR BIG PLAYS all the time. The Argos have the players and offensive philosophy to expose this guy as every other team has been doing. It seems against the Stamps and Bombers that Scott Milanovich's philosophy was to run the ball and make short passes to the "flat zone". I'm not criticizing it. It worked. And if you've had a chance to watch the Als comeback win over the Stampeders, you'll see that Kevin Glenn was able to move the ball with a similar short passing attack after he was going absolutely COLD for almost the first two quarters of that game. And can the Argos establish the run with Cory Boyd against the Alouettes? I hope so. It would help in keeping the Alouettes offense off of the field.

4) Chad Owens as a returner has been ok. But I'm still waiting for a decisive breakout performance from an elite returner as him. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much of him after having watched all of those Larry Taylor and Chris Williams highlights.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Chad Owens leads the league (compared to regular KRs, Kackert and anyone with 4 returns doesn't count) in kickoff return average! Stats don't lie. What do fans want a KR average of 45 yards every return?

Argofan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Level
    No, the Argos don't need a returner with a high average. What would be nice is a BIG MOMENTUM CHANGING RETURN (be it a kickoff or a punt return) FOR A TOUCHDOWN when the Argos need momentum in their favor. I'm not talking about a return for a TD when the Argos are already up and the game is out of hand or a TD return to open up the scoring in the game although it would be nice. Remember when Larry Taylor returned a missed FG the length of the field for a TD that helped TIE THE GAME when it appeared the Argos would cement their lead with in the 2nd half of their week 2 meeting. Or how about Demond Washington's return for a TD to bring the Bombers within 1 point of the Alouettes in the 3rd quarter of their week 2 meeting? Those kinds of plays are demoralizing for other teams. Lucky for the Argos, they were able to get momentum back when Taylor scored that TD return. Chad Owens is capable of getting that one big play and the Argos will need one ON THE ROAD this week against Montreal.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by --- View Post
    Can the Argos really win this game? Just wanted to underline a few points being made on other CFL forums.

1) The Argos haven't won in Montreal in about 4 seasons. Molson Stadium has always been unkind to the Argos. The Alouettes can often stink it up while on road games but all of a sudden they become dominant on their home turf.

2) The key to beating the Alouettes' offense is getting pressure on Calvillo. The Argos gave up a few big plays to a lowly Bombers backup QB in Alex Brink. As old and frail as everyone makes Calvillo to be, he can make those BIG PLAYS with his big receivers and more consistently. I like Chris Jones' defense to get the job down. I remember him from when he coached under Don Matthews' and learned the vaunted, blitz crazy, STING defense. I don't expect the Argos to smash Calvillo down to the earth, but to just make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket. He's REALLY slow getting up from the turf after being knocked down. Can they pressure Calvillo JUST ENOUGH to get him off of his game?

3) Let's face it: the Alouettes' defense SUCKS and the Argos CAN EXPLOIT this weakness. It's almost a given that any team can put up 30 points on the Alouettes defense. The weakest chain on that defense is defensive back Wopamo Osaisai. He seems to be regularly featured on every receivers highlight reel and not because he's making interceptions and breaking up passes. This dude is getting BURNED FOR BIG PLAYS all the time. The Argos have the players and offensive philosophy to expose this guy as every other team has been doing. It seems against the Stamps and Bombers that Scott Milanovich's philosophy was to run the ball and make short passes to the "flat zone". I'm not criticizing it. It worked. And if you've had a chance to watch the Als comeback win over the Stampeders, you'll see that Kevin Glenn was able to move the ball with a similar short passing attack after he was going absolutely COLD for almost the first two quarters of that game. And can the Argos establish the run with Cory Boyd against the Alouettes? I hope so. It would help in keeping the Alouettes offense off of the field.

4) Chad Owens as a returner has been ok. But I'm still waiting for a decisive breakout performance from an elite returner as him. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much of him after having watched all of those Larry Taylor and Chris Williams highlights.
    1) I had to temper my excitement Saturday night when I remembered that. The Argos won that final game in 2010 that didn't have any bearing, but before that I believe the last game they won at Molson Stadium was in 2005 in a game where I remember Byron Parker lining up at receiver. Montreal is 2-0 at home, but almost lost to Calgary, so it's not like hope is non-existent. The percentage of road wins in the league so far hurts us for sure though.

2) The TiCats have been successful against Calvillo by, yes, getting him out of his rhythm. The Argos gave up one big play to Brink where he completed one of his bombs to Denmark. Simpson was effective running the ball in the first half and also had a long catch-and-run that set up a score. So yes they gave up a few big plays, but not overly so. This is a game for Foley and Flemons to step it up as pass-rushers, and maybe get Brandon Isaac into the act with one of his big hits.

3) The Alouettes defense looked bad against Hamilton. Fantuz was able to find holes all day and the Ticats also picked up quite a bit of YAC yards. That presents an opportunity for Durie and Owens. Don't be afraid to push the ball downfield though!

4) Owens has been all right, other teams have been doing some effective coverage though on PR and KR. So the blocking teams also need to improve a bit.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Funny how Larry Taylor really didn't look special last year and now he's ripping things up. It's just a matter of time before Chad takes one or two to the house. Prehaps this is the Friday night where Chad wins someone a car and them a cool mil. I better stop at Safeway for something. Not big on Safeway or how it used to be that you filled out ballots to be entered into TD To Win and now it's all about your club card. Everytime someone wins from some punky doodle town I look at my wife and say see another huge CFL fan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    the argos have won at McGill in 1998: Kerwin Bell in one of his rare great games, 2000: Pinball's first game there as HC which was meaningless,2005 once,2010 as mentioned. wow that's only 4 times in 14 years and 2 meaningful. Thrice at the big uh-oh but that's a different place. Quite the challenge but I think they can pull it off.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    the argos have won at McGill in 1998: Kerwin Bell in one of his rare great games, 2000: Pinball's first game there as HC which was meaningless,2005 once,2010 as mentioned. wow that's only 4 times in 14 years and 2 meaningful. Thrice at the big uh-oh but that's a different place. Quite the challenge but I think they can pull it off.
    John Avery had a huge game in 2005 at Molson Stadium, probably their best win of that season...too bad the Als got thier revenge in the Eastern Final...that was a painful home playoff loss at Rogers Centre....much worse than the 2007 game. I wonder what Robert Baker is doing these days, and I wonder if he still enjoys popcorn?...ouch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    John Avery had a huge game in 2005 at Molson Stadium, probably their best win of that season...too bad the Als got thier revenge in the Eastern Final...that was a painful home playoff loss at Rogers Centre....much worse than the 2007 game. I wonder what Robert Baker is doing these days, and I wonder if he still enjoys popcorn?...ouch.
    That was RJ Soward.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That was RJ Soward.
    That's right it was Soward with the popcorn, wonder what he's upto now?...Baker was the guy who levelled that Stamps player after an interception in '04 or '05.

Going back to this Friday's game...I'd like to go to Montreal this Friday as I've never been to a game at Molson Stadium, but I have some Blue Jay tickets that I need to unload for this Saturday....if anybody is interested ...PM me, and I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow. (500 level 2 tix facing home plate for $25)

If I can get rid of the baseball tix, then I'll decide to go to Montreal...I'll post on the other sports thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Me and my dad did so enjoy that 2005 east final after biting the dust in 2004. I got a 'F*** Montreal' on the way out since I was wearing an als jersey. A small price to pay.

Aaron Hunt just released by the alouettes.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Looks like Kackert was playing on specials. Will be active?
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 07-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think two of the keys to the game will be how well Cory Boyd runs and how much of a rush the D-line and an occasional blitz can put on Calvillo. Boyd was not at his best in the Winnipeg game because he had only half a week's rest after more than 20 rushes and a great game but many bruises against Hamilton. After 10 days rest Boyd should be back in form and have another good and maybe great game if the Toronto offensive line is not dominated. The Argo's rush has led to relatively few sacks and pressures. Unless they improve against Calvillo, he is likely to pick the Argos apart once again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Argo's rush has led to relatively few sacks and pressures. Unless they improve against Calvillo, he is likely to pick the Argos apart once again.
    Few sacks, yes. But I disagree with few pressures. They've held QB's to less than 50% completion percentage in each of the last 2 games (21 completions in total). In today's CFL that is unheard of, and would certainly not happen without the pressures they have created. QB's have been forced to throw before they want to all season by the Argos.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I think two of the keys to the game will be how well Cory Boyd runs and how much of a rush the D-line and an occasional blitz can put on Calvillo. Boyd was not at his best in the Winnipeg game because he had only half a week's rest after more than 20 rushes and a great game but many bruises against Hamilton. After 10 days rest Boyd should be back in form and have another good and maybe great game if the Toronto offensive line is not dominated. The Argo's rush has led to relatively few sacks and pressures. Unless they improve against Calvillo, he is likely to pick the Argos apart once again.

I think you will see Boyd used for low yardage second down situations, as a blocker and release as a receiver when Montreal goes into their weird zone. Running the ball against Montreal is a waste of down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Few sacks, yes. But I disagree with few pressures. They've held QB's to less than 50% completion percentage in each of the last 2 games (21 completions in total). In today's CFL that is unheard of, and would certainly not happen without the pressures they have created. QB's have been forced to throw before they want to all season by the Argos.
    i also disagree with the "few pressures" comment. they've been hitting QBs consistently each game.

in fact, at the Dome late in the 4th vs the Bumblers they showed a montage of all of the hits on Brink and it just kept going... and going... and going... i was wincing and pitying the fool at the end of it.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Aaron Hunt will be picked up by someone soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Wally Buono apparently not interested.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    i also disagree with the "few pressures" comment. they've been hitting QBs consistently each game.

in fact, at the Dome late in the 4th vs the Bumblers they showed a montage of all of the hits on Brink and it just kept going... and going... and going... i was wincing and pitying the fool at the end of it.
    And we basically had to do that because the second half turned into a defensive struggle. The Bombers would have won with one or two key completions. Though his completion percentage was poor, I have to give some credit to Brink for his toughness. He likely earned the respect of his teammates because a Bomber QB actually lasted to the end of a game under extreme pressure.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The away game viewing meet up at Shoeless Joe's is cancelled. Surprise! Due to lack of interest.