Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

For all of the talk about how the CFL has fallen behind the NFL ...

In entertainment value, I haven't been blown away by the late season and playoff games in the NFL. And I am not saying that we don't need to see some changes in the CFL but I am not seeing a lot of evidence that the American game is superior.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    In entertainment value, I haven't been blown away by the late season and playoff games in the NFL. And I am not saying that we don't need to see some changes in the CFL but I am not seeing a lot of evidence that the American game is superior.
    I was going to post the same topic last weekend after the “super” wildcard weekend where 4 of the 6 games were blowouts and offered little entertainment value.
    The fact is the NFL has some crappy games every weekend but they are easier to hide in a busy weekly schedule whereas it is impossible to bury any bad games in the CFL with only 4 games per weekend.
    You’re assertion is in fact correct Ravi but you but unfortunately cold hard facts won’t change most peoples minds that the NFL is an entertaining juggernaut while the CFL is a Mickey Mouse product……very sad!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It is always wonderful when the Green Bay Packers choke.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It is always wonderful when the Green Bay Packers choke.
    I’m with you, Rodgers always seems extremely arrogant and full of himself which adds to the satisfaction when they ultimately lose in the playoffs.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ravi's argument is falling apart today.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Ravi's argument is falling apart today.

Some real exciting, down to wire play-off games this NFL weekend; to make up for some previous play-off blow-outs.

Also some real, real dumb, brutally bad defence on display in both of those games today - to make it look like it was all about juggernaut offence.

Real football fans should be able to appreciate both the CFL & NFL, IMO. Those who believe the CFL will be better or more exciting by $ucking-up to American football rules ... well, they're entitled to their opinions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I admit I'm a Bills fan, so yesterday was tough to take. Very exciting game, but some questionable coaching decisions.
    For example, I have no problem with the deep kickoff for a touch back with 13 seconds left, but I don't get why the Bills didn't play tight on Hill and Kelce after the kickoff and just hold them not letting get off the line. It's only a 5 yard penalty. Mahommes would not have just thrown it away, probably would have looked to make a play and kill the clock. At the very least I doubt there would have been enough time for a 3rd play, and if there was, it would have had to be a hail Mary pass. Not a game tying kick.

Why don't coaches take advantage of the rules??
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I admit I'm a Bills fan, so yesterday was tough to take. Very exciting game, but some questionable coaching decisions.
    For example, I have no problem with the deep kickoff for a touch back with 13 seconds left, but I don't get why the Bills didn't play tight on Hill and Kelce after the kickoff and just hold them not letting get off the line. It's only a 5 yard penalty. Mahommes would not have just thrown it away, probably would have looked to make a play and kill the clock. At the very least I doubt there would have been enough time for a 3rd play, and if there was, it would have had to be a hail Mary pass. Not a game tying kick.

Why don't coaches take advantage of the rules??
    Buffalo electing to kick the ball deep through the end zone with 13 seconds left was a major blunder IMO, should have forced KC to field the ball deep and use up some time on the return.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Buffalo electing to kick the ball deep through the end zone with 13 seconds left was a major blunder IMO, should have forced KC to field the ball deep and use up some time on the return.
    You're talking about the same franchise that once did the squib kick in the same situation and let the other team make a lateral to return it for a TD. There is no right or wrong on the kickoff. You can't let a team go 45 yards in 2 plays to get into FG range. Like I said, holding is only a 5 yard penalty. Hold all the receivers off the line, take the penalty and let the clock tick down. Then you force them to throw a hail Mary.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You're talking about the same franchise that once did the squib kick in the same situation and let the other team make a lateral to return it for a TD. There is no right or wrong on the kickoff. You can't let a team go 45 yards in 2 plays to get into FG range. Like I said, holding is only a 5 yard penalty. Hold all the receivers off the line, take the penalty and let the clock tick down. Then you force them to throw a hail Mary.
    A forward lateral at that, I’ll stick to my assertion that the kickoff through the end zone was a stupid move but you are correct they made a series of idiotic decisions that cost them the game.
    Sad part is there is no guarantee the Bills will get another chance like they had on Sunday.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I’m with you, Rodgers always seems extremely arrogant and full of himself which adds to the satisfaction when they ultimately lose in the playoffs.
    Best part of the postseason has been seeing this Covid liar blow it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    A squib quick could bounce out of bounds giving KC possession at the 40, or go for a big return, or KC could give themselves up without any time lost by just falling on the ball with potentially better field position than the 25 because you can never be sure how far a squib kick goes. Tampa had two normal kickoffs bounce out of bounds in near perfect weather.

The Bills chose the option they had the most control over. What their D did after that cost them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Back to the topic at hand, while the first week of playoffs was not superbly entertaining, IMO it would be pretty tough to argue that this past weekend's games were anything but scintillating entertainment. Three last-play FGs for walk-off wins, plus the insanely wild Buf-KC game. That one had four lead changes (including the play that resulted in a tie after regulation) in the last two minutes, plus of course the OT. Reminded me of the 1987 Grey Cup where the lead changed hands five times in the fourth quarter, including twice in the last three minutes. That type of craziness has never been common on either side of the border, but it was a more regular occurrence in the CFL, and less so in the NFL, 30-40 years ago. Don't think we can say the same now, sadly.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    A squib quick could bounce out of bounds giving KC possession at the 40, or go for a big return, or KC could give themselves up without any time lost by just falling on the ball with potentially better field position than the 25 because you can never be sure how far a squib kick goes. Tampa had two normal kickoffs bounce out of bounds in near perfect weather.

The Bills chose the option they had the most control over. What their D did after that cost them.
    I wasn’t necessarily talking about a squib kick, my thought was to kick it in the air down to about the 10 yard line.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Back to the topic at hand, while the first week of playoffs was not superbly entertaining, IMO it would be pretty tough to argue that this past weekend's games were anything but scintillating entertainment. Three last-play FGs for walk-off wins, plus the insanely wild Buf-KC game. That one had four lead changes (including the play that resulted in a tie after regulation) in the last two minutes, plus of course the OT. Reminded me of the 1987 Grey Cup where the lead changed hands five times in the fourth quarter, including twice in the last three minutes. That type of craziness has never been common on either side of the border, but it was a more regular occurrence in the CFL, and less so in the NFL, 30-40 years ago. Don't think we can say the same now, sadly.
    No doubt this weekend provided some entertaining and exciting football but looking at the entirety of the playoffs there have been more than a fair share of lousy boring games, “Super Wild Card” weekend was anything but.
    Major point being lousy matchups and games are a regular occurrence in the NFL but in a 32 team league these games are easier to bury.
    Problem with a 9 team league is it only takes one or two bad teams to ruin a schedule on a weekly basis.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    No doubt this weekend provided some entertaining and exciting football but looking at the entirety of the playoffs there have been more than a fair share of lousy boring games, “Super Wild Card” weekend was anything but.
    Major point being lousy matchups and games are a regular occurrence in the NFL but in a 32 team league these games are easier to bury.
    Problem with a 9 team league is it only takes one or two bad teams to ruin a schedule on a weekly basis.
    Very good point.

Another reason, IMO, why the biggest thing the CFL could have ever done, and could still do, is get to a 10th team (Atlantic Canada) - to get to an extra game a week in the schedule = more variety, more interest, and a true cross Canada league. Very F-ing sad that the BOGoofs running the CFL over the years have never grasped this - too busy with their personal, greedy little feifdoms, instead of able to see a big picture. And a desperate attempt to $uck-up to American football as a better idea and some sort of savior, is apparently still on the agenda for Ambrosia & co. perhaps ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This is certainly true, but the impression I have is that there are more un- or only moderately entertaining games in the CFL than has been the case since the 1970s when teams mostly played for field position and passing attacks were largely an afterthought. Regardless of how entertaining (or not) the NFL is -- and IMO it is getting more so all the time, with more exciting and entertaining games and players than ever -- the CFL has to focus on making its own games entertaining enough to captivate both hard-core fans and casual viewers. If it doesn't, some longtime fans will bleed away -- I would argue this is already happening, based on attendance and ratings trends -- and it will be ever harder to bring in newbies.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    In seeing the highlights, sure it was exciting.
    However with the shoe on the other foot scenario, had this been a CFL game I can hear it now.
    No defence in that league, flag football mentality etc.
    Don't forget we had a great GC, from the second half onward.
    I do agree is we have to change our crazy running clock to get more plays back to where it once was.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Two weeks in a row with pretty entertaining games. I get that some around here are very protective of the CFL, I was one of them for a long time, but it's been pretty apparent for awhile that the CFL has gone downhill in a lot of ways. The new clock rules, lack of exciting big play offence, Trestman's POS offence, and massive player movement, have all added to the CFL's entertainment "woes".

CFL is losing fans for a lot of reasons, not just the lack of excitement, so something got to give here.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I feel like the CFL hasn't adapted to the fact that the NFL has adapted what their prototypical QB looks like.