Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

The Strange and Infamous History of Exhibition Stadium

https://13thmansports.ca/2022/02/19/...ition-stadium/

I am not old enough to have seen a game at Exhibition Stadium. I am told that my dad took me to a Jays game there in 1989 when they played a few months before SkyDome opened. My first Argos game probably wasn't until 1991 by which time the Argos had moved. I know much of the Argos history at the CNE was not great on the field, but if time machines were a thing, I'd love to go back and watch a game there when the Argos meant something much, much more to the people of Toronto.

I note several items of difference between Exhibition Stadium and BMO Field. The Argos since 2016 have been lucky with weather for the most part and the weather at some games in 2021 can be blamed on the later season partially. Also, the seagull "problem" has not been prevalent. I know TFC had a hawk on top the press box to keep them away, but I haven't seen it for Argo games.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    My first live Argo game was the 83 Eastern Final. I had attended several Jays games at CNE prior to that, but my only memories of the Mistake by the Lake involved the Double Blue.

Despite always seeming sitting behind a steel beam in the bleachers which obstructed about 8 yards of the playing field, I kept coming back to see the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Many great memories at Exhibition Stadium.
    Numerous Argonaut and Blue Jay games with my father and friends from high school.
    Skipping afternoon classes in high school to go to Jay games with 99 cent Dominion tickets was a favourite pastime, Argo games were strictly reserved for my father.
    Going back even further to around 1970 watching the Hell Drivers stunt show from the Grandstand as a young kid was awesome.
    We sat in two areas during our CNE Argo days Section#43 Row#50 on the covered side which gave us the same issue as gilthethrill with a steel beam impeding our view only to eventually move across the field to Section#5 Row#27 on about the 25 yard line.
    For all the faults that the stadium had I loved the place and still miss it and miss being the age I was when going to games there.
    Watching Argo games from the Skydome was never the same for me, BMO is light years better for CFL games!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    For nostalgia, I absolutely loved the old CNE. It was always an event for me to go watch the Argos there. The TTC trip was half the fun, with streetcars from Bathurst station just packed. Started going with A and P tickets for 99 cents in the late 70s.
    Having said that, I love the view at BMO much better. Not a bad seat in the house.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    For nostalgia, I absolutely loved the old CNE. It was always an event for me to go watch the Argos there. The TTC trip was half the fun, with streetcars from Bathurst station just packed. Started going with A and P tickets for 99 cents in the late 70s.
    Having said that, I love the view at BMO much better. Not a bad seat in the house.
    There were so many memorable and not so memorable moments from the CNE in the 70's and 80's for me. Of course, the A&P $0.99 endzone tix were a staple, starting for me in 1977 in a steady rain against the Alouettes. They managed to win that day although the traffic jam was so bad around the stadium, I didn't arrive there until the second quarter. Both Eastern finals in '82 and '83 were particularly ones to remember although the losses in '84, '86 and '88 really stung.

Boatman
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wish I was old enough to have experienced Exhibition Stadium if only to have something to compare BMO and the Dome against (I very much prefer BMO). I do remember going past it as a kid when I was in the area going to Medieval Times. I think it was still there around 1994 or 1995. It was kind of sad looking at it, knowing that it wasn't being used by major teams.

I find the overhead views of the Ex to be quite hilarious, especially once they overlayed a diamond on there. I couldn't imagine watching baseball there. My parents went to a game in 1977, but they never told me any other details. I'll have to ask my mom someday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Dad took me to a game around 1970. There was fights in the stands all around us. Back then we would periodically punt on 2nd down. Wasn't if we would loose the game... was more like how are we going to loose this time....was that way for it seemed like decades... Saw Conridge Hollaway play against Tom Clements playing for Hamilton. Was about 53,000 at that game. Once blue jays came those I thought those were the worst of times to be ARGO fan in Toronto... but playing our home games on the road when rogers kicked us out of skydome was the other big low for me..... The stadium wasn't that good but the atmosphere was amazing from what my memory can remember. I think I am a die hard because of those days...