Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    But for many living and working in the 905 region, a trip to York on any day of the week would be a real ordeal. And as many have pointed out in the past, all the other teams' fans also have to get downtown for games (and they all seem to manage it, just as Argo fans like us do).
    My last comment on this subject, since the decision has already been made to play at downtown BMO. I have travelled to York Un dozens perhaps hundreds of times both for work related and sports related occasions. It has taken me approximately 20 minute from downtown North York, 15 minutes from Richmond Hill, 20 minutes from Aurora, 25 minutes from Newmarket and 30 to 45 minutes from the west and east end of York Region. Those trips have been at all times of the day and all days of the week. Travelling to BMO from the centre of York Region, during rush hour, always takes at least an hour, if one is lucky . Granted for weekend games the trip can be done in 45 minutes.

But, as previously stated, the whole discussion is a dead issue as we now have to accept for better or worse, we will have to travel downtown. Which I might add, is not a deal breaker for me.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I have to admit this discussion drives me insane...and not just a little bit.

We live in a gigantic city. No matter where the stadium is, some people will complain. But if those same people were offered Leaf or Raptor tickets for a 7:00 game on a Tuesday night I bet they'd miraculously find a way to get downtown without complaining.

When we played at the Dome, people longed for the days at the CNE. Well, we're back.

When we played at the Dome, people cried out for a more intimate stadium. Well, we've got it.

We have, arguably, the best stadium in the league. There's not a bad sightline in the building and it's right on a major rail line. There's also a ton of parking on site, at Ontario Place and more in Liberty Village.

I heard from a new season ticket holder who stepped up this year after going to a handful of games last year. HE LIVES IN KINGSTON. It's two-and-a-half hours one way without traffic, but they come because they love the Argos and the gameday experience that much. He and his family drive to Oshawa and take the GO train in.

For the record, I live in Whitby. I do the hour-long trek (each way) to BMO Field every day during the season and don't complain about it. Playing at BMO is worth the commute and for most it's only nine days this year that you'll have to do it. Nine. (I'm optimistic that we'll host a playoff game)

Nine...and five of those are on the weekend, six with a playoff game.

For once, can we embrace the positives?
    Last edited by Mike Hogan; 04-04-2022 at 01:24 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    I have to admit this discussion drives me insane...and not just a little bit.

We live in a gigantic city. No matter where the stadium is, some people will complain. But if those same people were offered Leaf or Raptor tickets for a 7:00 game on a Tuesday night I bet they'd miraculously find a way to get downtown without complaining.

When we played at the Dome, people longed for the days at the CNE. Well, we're back.

When we played at the Dome, people cried out for a more intimate stadium. Well, we've got it.

We have, arguably, the best stadium in the league. There's not a bad sightline in the building and it's right on a major rail line. There's also a ton of parking on site, at Ontario Place and more in Liberty Village.

I heard from a new season ticket holder who stepped up this year after going to a handful of games last year. HE LIVES IN KINGSTON. It's two-and-a-half hours one way without traffic, but they come because they love the Argos and the gameday experience that much. He and his family drive to Oshawa and take the GO train in.

For the record, I live in Whitby. I do the hour-long trek (each way) to BMO Field every day during the season and don't complain about it. Playing at BMO is worth the commute and for most it's only nine days this year that you'll have to do it. Nine. (I'm optimistic that we'll host a playoff game)

Nine...and five of those are on the weekend.

For once, can we embrace the positives?
    I loved going to games at Exhibition Stadium, Skydome was never quite the same for me so I am glad their home is back at the Ex.
    No issues with the venue and location at all.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You will never hear me complain about BMO other than the fact it still doesn't feel like the Argos have been fully embraced there. I'm not just talking by the public, but when you go there, you know it's TFC's stadium. They have a wall of honour or whatever it's called, yet the Argos with a huge, long history aren't even noticeable tenants if it's not a game day. To me, that needs to change, but I absolutely love watching games there. I was at the EX, dome and now BMO. Other than the smaller crowds, BMO is my favourite place to have ever watched an Argos home game. I park in Liberty village, and the parking in my lot is dirt cheap. Depending on when the game is, I pay more for a single ride on the TTC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Where are the Argos fans at? Been told at meetings that AJAX, Pickering Beach, Oshawa is where most of the fans live. And Milton, Oakville is 2nd........ With so many people moving around this could be issue for Argos to get large season ticket numbers. Now that many people that are CFL fans are moving to Dundas, Hamilton area.

What are your thoughts?

Hi CEO, welcome to the forum!

Myself and my brother come down to games from Richmond Hill. The friends that normally join us come from various areas across the GTA - Oshawa, Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, Mid town Toronto, Downtown Toronto. We've also been able to bring out friends who weren't CFL fans before coming to a game from some of those same areas, as well as from places like Etobicoke and Brampton.

Some of our other friends who live across the GTA, who are more NFL fans are open to coming out to games too for a few key reasons. The first is that it's significantly easier to bring family out to a game, especially with younger kids. Also, when our friends have brought their kids to the game, the kids love it! The kids activities pre game - pictures with Jason and the cheerleaders (in the past), and of course getting to high-five the players at the ramp and meeting the players post game. The other big reason is the they often never realized how reasonable the ticket cost is for Argo games, and they enjoy BMO as a stadium as well, not a bad seat in the house.

We've even found out that some of our neighbours used to be Argos season ticket holders, and are open to coming out to games again. We've also talked to some of our other neighbours and their kids (who played high school tackle and touch football) about coming to games too.

With all that said, we feel there is still lots of opportunities to get fans in from within the GTA, but just have to make that direct (feet on the ground) connection to the football corridors around the GTA as a starting point. An example would be in an area like Aurora through the York Region Football Association (http://yorkregionfootball.com/) who actually also has a partnership with York University which includes a program to build pathways for players to continue their football journey at the post secondary level.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Welcome on board the good ship Argo. Always great to have new fans

New Fan
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Living in the good old Shwa I could tell you there are a ton of Argis fans here. I see argos gear almost everyday, and walmart and crappy tire are pretty much always sold out on merchandise.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedblue77 View Post
    Living in the good old Shwa I could tell you there are a ton of Argis fans here. I see argos gear almost everyday, and walmart and crappy tire are pretty much always sold out on merchandise.
    Welcome aboard, the Sports Chek in Oshawa also had championship gear.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Welcome aboard, the Sports Chek in Oshawa also had championship gear.
    The Sports Chek at Fairview mall had absolutely nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Once you go farther out of Toronto from, say Oshawa to the East or Newmarket to the North, it's extremely difficult to function without a vehicle anyway and I would not recommend it.

Getting to BMO using the GO from Newmarket or Aurora is very straight forward but it's time consuming. Shuttle busses from those places at least is a great idea.

Transit is is only going to improve in the GTA as the population increases.

I live on Lake Simcoe but driving to BMO is shockingly easy. The only drawback is driving out of the area BMO is in after a game can take hours. Literally hours.

New Fan
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Perfectly put!!

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Once you go farther out of Toronto from, say Oshawa to the East or Newmarket to the North, it's extremely difficult to function without a vehicle anyway and I would not recommend it.

Getting to BMO using the GO from Newmarket or Aurora is very straight forward but it's time consuming. Shuttle busses from those places at least is a great idea.

Transit is is only going to improve in the GTA as the population increases.

I live on Lake Simcoe but driving to BMO is shockingly easy. The only drawback is driving out of the area BMO is in after a game can take hours. Literally hours.
    Driving to BMO has been easy since the pandemic, although I am heading down early to tailgate.

Getting out is still a problem because of the terrible Gardiner ramps around the Lakeshore.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm in Oakville. So the train works great, but if we're driving - it's really bad if you try to leave as soon as the game is over, with you and 4,000 other cars all trying to get on the Gardiner through those congested (or temporarily closed, isn't that fun) ramps. Even getting out of the parking lot can take a long time. We try to think strategically about where to park when we arrive so that the car's pointed the right way.

In previous years, we'd go out for a beer in Liberty Village and kill an hour or so that way - the traffic was much better afterwards.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    The WB Lakeshore ramp to the Gardiner frustrates me to no end, however based on its configuration I understand why it is closed after the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    we tried an experiment once and left heading east, along Fort York Blvd to Spadina and then catching the WB Gardiner from there. It was better. Was it a lot better? Well it wasn't a great experiment, we should have had a control car leave the same time in the other direction.

It's frustrating that the tailgate lot is by far the greatest place to park before the game, and also the worst place to leave from.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I should know better -- one of the flaws of Waze is that it doesn't pick up on closed roads well, but I fall for that Gardiner WB exit every time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I'm in Oakville. So the train works great, but if we're driving - it's really bad if you try to leave as soon as the game is over, with you and 4,000 other cars all trying to get on the Gardiner through those congested (or temporarily closed, isn't that fun) ramps. Even getting out of the parking lot can take a long time. We try to think strategically about where to park when we arrive so that the car's pointed the right way.

In previous years, we'd go out for a beer in Liberty Village and kill an hour or so that way - the traffic was much better afterwards.
    That's a great idea to hang around after the game for an hour or so. I've never even thought of it. Liberty Village needs a Mr. Sub.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Liberty Village needs a Mr. Sub.
    A lot of areas need a Mr Sub. So much better than Subway, but sadly Subway has taken over and a lot of Mr Sub franchises have closed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    A lot of areas need a Mr Sub. So much better than Subway, but sadly Subway has taken over and a lot of Mr Sub franchises have closed.
    I’m with you, Mr Sub is much better than Subway.
    We grew up with no other option than Mr Sub, ask my sons and their friends and they will tell you they like Subway (which is also way overpriced).
    My preferred dinner in high school: Super Assorted followed by an assorted (or pizza sub) and a Diet Coke (regular coke had too many calories).
    The good old days!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I prefer a Mr. Sub breaded chicken sub any day of the week, but I find with Mr. Sub the franchise owner can really make a difference (Argo57 knows of whom I speak).