Reply to Thread
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

Outsider question - Is MLSE doing anything to raise the Argo's profile in the GTA

I realize that they are busy with Leafs, Raptors, and TFC. But has there been anything from the corporation to help raise the profile of the team prior to the start of the season?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry bout the crickets Van. ;o)

What was Sgt. Schultz's (Hogan's Heroes) fave saying ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    I realize that they are busy with Leafs, Raptors, and TFC. But has there been anything from the corporation to help raise the profile of the team prior to the start of the season?
    Good question. I know folks a little downstream on the business side (ie. Mike Hogan, etc.) are working hard to do what they can. But if you listen to the podcast below, CMO Shannon Hosford and CTO Humza Teherany have built best in class marketing, digital campaigns, analytics, tools to support fan engagement and growth.

https://cmo-talks.libsyn.com/cmo-tal...-teherany-mlse

They both mention a few times that there are no silos at MLSE. So the question becomes, will this be leveraged?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    From the outside, you'd think that MLSE would use the Argos as an opportunity to show how great of an organization they are. Because if they made the Argos relevant in Toronto again then they could really claim that they are #1. Right now from my POV, they are basically riding the coat-tails of being part of 2 big USA Leagues and a 3rd League that is somewhat relevant in the US but massive in Canada. They already have a readymade audience and have the brand loyalty from the US marketing machines. Now if they could make the Argos and by connection the CFL more successful then their stock would be even more valuable.
    Right now it seems that nothing is being done except pushing for 4 downs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    From the outside, you'd think that MLSE would use the Argos as an opportunity to show how great of an organization they are. Because if they made the Argos relevant in Toronto again then they could really claim that they are #1. Right now from my POV, they are basically riding the coat-tails of being part of 2 big USA Leagues and a 3rd League that is somewhat relevant in the US but massive in Canada. They already have a readymade audience and have the brand loyalty from the US marketing machines. Now if they could make the Argos and by connection the CFL more successful then their stock would be even more valuable.
    I agree with almost all of what you said. As far as the pushing 4 downs thing, I do not buy it. I know Arash (Trash) Madani has said this, but when it comes to the CFL I just do not believe anything he says.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Issue is mlse took on the argos as a political favor. The Argos need more of a community owner, run it like a minir league team, cheap tix food parking, promotions, etc. The only hope is to bring out families.
    Unfortunately MLSE is incapable of that. Even the actual minor league teams like the Marlies and raptors 905, it seems they'd rather operate to empty seats, rather than have 10 dollar seats and 2 dollar hot dogs.
    So the alternative is put a major league product on the field, and that comes down to an overall CFL issue. The last player to truly move the needle in this town was Ricky Williams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Simple answer: $$$$$

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Issue is mlse took on the argos as a political favor. The Argos need more of a community owner, run it like a minir league team, cheap tix food parking, promotions, etc. The only hope is to bring out families.
    Unfortunately MLSE is incapable of that. Even the actual minor league teams like the Marlies and raptors 905, it seems they'd rather operate to empty seats, rather than have 10 dollar seats and 2 dollar hot dogs.
    So the alternative is put a major league product on the field, and that comes down to an overall CFL issue. The last player to truly move the needle in this town was Ricky Williams.
    So you're saying the Argos/CFL are not a "major league product" but they would be if they had a Ricky Williams or two on the team ???

What MLSE have no clue about is CANADIAN football - and that the CFL needs to be promoted and marketed as the highest level of Canadian football - a historic game of 100 years plus, that has at times featured SRO stadiums and had millions of TV viewers (cite #s for GC games) to make it one of the strongest sporting leagues/events in Canadian history, and even still. IMO the CANADIAN part of the CFL is not grasped by or lost on a lot of younger folks or to new to Canada people, but it should not be that hard to educate them; takes some effort though; just like selling a lot more than 10K tickets in the GTA every 2 weeks in the summer would take some serious & smart effort.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Obv Ricky was a bust. But if he didn't break his arm, he'd have sold some tickets. People were talking about the Argos. Canadian players don't sell tickets, and the US players aren't high profile. Sure there are exceptions, like Pinball. But Argos need to bring in someone like Baker Mayfield that a casual fan has heard of, and have them excel. The league needs that as a whole.
    Obviously it isn't going to happen. But that's what it will take. Watch what happens to TFC when Insigne arrives this summer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It is interesting that TFC playing in a league which most experts rank well outside the top dozen soccer leagues in the world, can pull reasonable crowds (except for last year). Does being the 12th or 14th or 16th ranked league in the world, make the league a minor league? Probably to those who follow the high profile leagues around the world. Whereas, the CFL which is the second best football league in the world, has to battle for local recognition.

With the right promotion(s) from MLSE, the Argos might well increase fan attendance. The first step would be to appoint Pinball as president. We have had enough of the present invisible president. The team and the CFL have good TV numbers and the highly recognizable Pinball could be utilized to raise the profile of the team in the GTA. The one thing that must happen, is development of good P. R., of Argo players, making them better known in the GTA. It probably won't happen but can you imagine the potential P.R. connected to Tre Ford if he were drafted by the Argos. A home grown Black Canadian QB. If MLSE couldn't make him well known to the GTA folks, then MLSE is just not be doing their job.

Insigne might increase the number of TFC fans attending games but it is doubtful if his presence on the team will move the TV numbers. Why aren't players like Gittens and Muamba being more publicized? These are Canadians who outstanding players in the 2nd best league in the world. Come on MLSE let's see some action in highlighting the team and players.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    There seems to be two types of Canadian football fans,

Type 1 - Like the ratio, want to see Canadian kids have a legit chance, willing (somewhat) to accept a small drop in quality of play to see Canadians playing

Type 2 - Hate the ratio, wants to see the "best" players play, think that most Canadian players are just in their position because of a passport.

Over at my usual haunt these two types face off all the time and its a never ending fight. I'm a type 1 btw.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Type 1 - Like the ratio, want to see Canadian kids have a legit chance, willing (somewhat) to accept a small drop in quality of play to see Canadians playing

Type 2 - Hate the ratio, wants to see the "best" players play, think that most Canadian players are just in their position because of a passport.

Over at my usual haunt these two types face off all the time and its a never ending fight. I'm a type 1 btw.
    Yeah, but I think I would add a Type 3 - people who don't really don't know much about it or care much if they do - maybe the more casual fan as opposed to hard-core types.

And possibly a fairly small, but not insignificant Type 4 - not only supportive of the ratio (and aware that ratios exist in plenty of other pro sports leagues around the world), but also would like to see what I would call a re-patriation of the CFL - increase the ratio significantly so Canadians form a clear majority on CFL rosters (and there would IMO be ZERO "ratio problem" in doing this - the Canadian talent pool is stronger than ever and plenty of good Canadian players currently do not get serious CFL chances - especially at certain positions (which varies team to team) - because of the extreme bias/favortism shown towards American players by American decision makers); along with this, the CFL could start hiring more Canadian football people as coaches, GMs, head scouts, etc. And the overall net affect of this CFL re-patriation would increase the popularity and support for Canadian football in it's own frickin' country - including the CFL. And some who maybe don't know CFL history well enough could be converted to this Type 4 group perhaps, if they knew more of the great CFL of the past.

You almost never see the type that would like to see a Canadian players only CFL - though I have heard from a few of them.

And IMO, some of the Type 2 people have often been sold a bill of phony goods - by Americans running the CFL and their puppet/dupes in the media - believing bull-$hite about lack of Canadian football talent (the Canadian QBs have "weak arm strength" type nonsense); plus a lot of them are also Canadian inferiority complex victims = very sad IMO.

To each his own opinion though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is interesting that TFC playing in a league which most experts rank well outside the top dozen soccer leagues in the world, can pull reasonable crowds (except for last year). Does being the 12th or 14th or 16th ranked league in the world, make the league a minor league? Probably to those who follow the high profile leagues around the world. Whereas, the CFL which is the second best football league in the world, has to battle for local recognition.

With the right promotion(s) from MLSE, the Argos might well increase fan attendance. The first step would be to appoint Pinball as president. We have had enough of the present invisible president. The team and the CFL have good TV numbers and the highly recognizable Pinball could be utilized to raise the profile of the team in the GTA. The one thing that must happen, is development of good P. R., of Argo players, making them better known in the GTA. It probably won't happen but can you imagine the potential P.R. connected to Tre Ford if he were drafted by the Argos. A home grown Black Canadian QB. If MLSE couldn't make him well known to the GTA folks, then MLSE is just not be doing their job.

Insigne might increase the number of TFC fans attending games but it is doubtful if his presence on the team will move the TV numbers. Why aren't players like Gittens and Muamba being more publicized? These are Canadians who outstanding players in the 2nd best league in the world. Come on MLSE let's see some action in highlighting the team and players.
    I've been of the opinion for a very long time that the problem with the CFL is that the casual fan looks at the salary structure and sees nobody getting rich and dismisses it as minor league. The one thing MLS has going for it (especially in Toronto) is there are 3 or 4 players making multi millions in annual salary. For that reason, people don't see it a minor league (although TV ratings sure don't reflect that). People believe that if they are making more money than a bunch of players on a football team, the players can't be all that good. Ignorance at it's finest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Get rid of the ratio and the league will become one of even more player turnover year over year. Too many American football players looking for any chance to continue their career and willing to play for peanuts (at least at the start). Let's be honest, most Canadian University players don't major in football, so if they aren't getting decent pay, they will do something else with their lives. To me, the league would die quickly without the ratio.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Just on a positive note re MLSE. Our football OPS's is as good as any team and better than most. We have some good new players going into the new season. A grey cup win would not surprise me.

MLSE has hired some great people like Pinball and Mike Hogan.

The MLSE people in the trenches especially people like Rob R. really work hard and always treat me well.

Lots of Challenges but with some effort maybe some outside CFL wisdom. I still think we can turn it around. Really lookin forward to the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgofanIan View Post
    Just on a positive note re MLSE. Our football OPS's is as good as any team and better than most. We have some good new players going into the new season. A grey cup win would not surprise me.

MLSE has hired some great people like Pinball and Mike Hogan.

The MLSE people in the trenches especially people like Rob R. really work hard and always treat me well.

Lots of Challenges but with some effort maybe some outside CFL wisdom. I still think we can turn it around. Really lookin forward to the season.
    And have given football ops the resources to be very aggressive in free agency the last 2-3 years.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Finally... we are Raptors Season Ticket Holders and just got an email with year end gift options. These options are:

- Food Credit
    - Raptors Hat
    - TFC Tickets
    - ARGOS TICKETS!!!

The cross promotion is possible. Maybe this is a small step forward.

As Raptors STHs, we typically get a pair of free Raptors 905 tickets each year. As many have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to offer a free pair of Argos tickets to all Raptors and Leafs STHs. The hope will be that they will come out to additional games beyond the free one, plus may bring out friends. They can also have those tickets be on the East side which is the less full side.