Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Interesting move by the QB genius ego_jones.

My guess is Ford will have to have a huge game and win or he will be banished as not good enough and get no more CFL chances - a couple of picks thrown but nowhere near as bad as Cornelius, but that will be still ample evidence; maybe thrown to the scrap heap like O'Connor (and his one real start - for less than a half a game).
    I fear that might be the case and provide an excuse to get the fans and possibly management off Jones' back.

A long time ago when Ron Lancaster was coaching Hamilton (IIRC) he gave the chapter and verse interview of the dynamics that go into playing a Canadian QB. I was able to find it years and years ago, maybe it's posted here for all I know, I'll take another look and post it if I can find it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I fear that might be the case and provide an excuse to get the fans and possibly management off Jones' back.

A long time ago when Ron Lancaster was coaching Hamilton (IIRC) he gave the chapter and verse interview of the dynamics that go into playing a Canadian QB. I was able to find it years and years ago, maybe it's posted here for all I know, I'll take another look and post it if I can find it.
    Jones is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't then. If he doesn't play Ford, he is biased against Canadian QBs. If he plays Ford and Ford doesn't succeed, then it's Jones' fault for throwing him to the wolves.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    While I look for the Lancaster article, here's some others to peruse:

Flow of arms across the border
    In impressive numbers, those U.S. quarterbacks regarded as expendable by the NFL have found work in Canada
    Steve Wulf vault.si.com July 23, 1979

Being Frank about 'Canadian' curse
    Mike Beamish Montreal Gazette June 1 2013

Canadian QB Marc Mueller speaks out against the CFL’s quarterback ratio rule
    Andrew Bucholtz ca.sports.yahoo.com April 23, 2012

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If he plays Ford and Ford doesn't succeed
    Then really there's no harm. Cornelius hasn't succeeded time and time again. If Ford does, it benefits the team in two ways. One they win and two the "Rourke effect" which was proven to be real, that previously thought apathetic fans will rally around a Canadian QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Sort of like flogging a dead horse; most are tired of the topic or not interested at all. There is precious little Canadian media question asking on this, including every day CFL reporters from 3 Down Nation or from TSN's CFL commentators. Ronnie and others have trotted out all kinds of excuses or lip service going back decades. Matt Dunigan was perhaps the last to both speak and act on the matter - when he was on TSN as a commentator some time ago he brought up the topic and then actually did something when he had the power to (as Stamps GM & HC he went out and signed Tom Denison). But that was 2 decades ago or so; back to same old now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wonder if ego-Jones is going to trot out the same old offence (not much run game; QB sitting in the pocket mostly) with Ford starting or maybe design some stuff to take advantage of a real QB run threat - some roll-outs, designed runs like QB draws; give Ford the green light to take off ? I'll bet no.

Funny all the talk about QB injuries now, and a bunch of commentators saying Crum just has to eventually get injured with his running & scrambling; yet several NFL teams have their multi-million $s QBs running regularly more than Crum does and to nice results ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Wonder if ego-Jones is going to trot out the same old offence (not much run game; QB sitting in the pocket mostly) with Ford starting or maybe design some stuff to take advantage of a real QB run threat - some roll-outs, designed runs like QB draws; give Ford the green light to take off ? I'll bet no.

Funny all the talk about QB injuries now, and a bunch of commentators saying Crum just has to eventually get injured with his running & scrambling; yet several NFL teams have their multi-million $s QBs running regularly more than Crum does and to nice results ?
    Jarious Jackson is now the offensive coordinator so I believe we will see some new looks from the Elks. Looking forward to this Thursday night game.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sort of like flogging a dead horse; most are tired of the topic or not interested at all. There is precious little Canadian media question asking on this, including every day CFL reporters from 3 Down Nation or from TSN's CFL commentators.
    I don't disagree this is a topic worth exploration, but I think it's a stretch to call 3DownNation a site with "everyday reporters." It's a site that combines rehashing stories reported elsewhere with commentary about individual teams, and occasionally some original reporting. As for TSN, I assume you mean Naylor/Lalji/Scianitti; I think the "commentators" as the colour guys on games, who are most definitely not "reporters."
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't disagree this is a topic worth exploration, but I think it's a stretch to call 3DownNation a site with "everyday reporters." It's a site that combines rehashing stories reported elsewhere with commentary about individual teams, and occasionally some original reporting. As for TSN, I assume you mean Naylor/Lalji/Scianitti; I think the "commentators" as the colour guys on games, who are most definitely not "reporters."
    Guys like Dunk and John Hodge, JC Abbott there write everyday about the CFL, no? Them and Naylor & Lalji types are what I'm talking about: CFL reporters deathly afraid of the topic and fear of rocking the boat, or else firmly down with and accepting of CFL standard operating procedures and the GOB club.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 08-10-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I found the wording of this strange. "Sorry we couldn't hear you guys" What kind of admission is that? Are they saying they don't listen to their fans, the call for this was pretty loud. Just found it kinda weird.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I found the wording of this strange. "Sorry we couldn't hear you guys" What kind of admission is that? Are they saying they don't listen to their fans, the call for this was pretty loud. Just found it kinda weird.

An obvious conspiracy.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    What's the old saying - if you listen to the fans about football operations, soon you will be sitting with them?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Jarious Jackson is now the offensive coordinator so I believe we will see some new looks from the Elks. Looking forward to this Thursday night game.
    If you expect to see anything major different out of J. Jackson or Scotty M as "new" CFL OCs, I'm afraid you are going to be quite disappointed Ravi. It will be same old standard CFL offence.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    What's the old saying - if you listen to the fans about football operations, soon you will be sitting with them?
    "If a coach starts listening to the fans, he's going to wind up sitting next to them."

Marv Levy

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    An obvious conspiracy.
    How so?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    If you expect to see anything major different out of J. Jackson or Scotty M as "new" CFL OCs, I'm afraid you are going to be quite disappointed Ravi. It will be same old standard CFL offence.
    I don't think so, I realize the past record of McAdoo is nothing they want to emulate (McAdoo about nothing, as it were) but trying to make Ford a pocket passer would be ridiculous. Jackson knows Ford can run and one would think they would scheme around that.

They may not win but there are some good vibes going into it. I am sending prayerful thoughts that with the ceremonies and game day new logo that The Great Spirit will shed some light on the Elks tonight. The team and the league need to move forward to get that monkey off their backs.

Elks to sport Indigenous-designed logo in Indigenous Celebration game against Blue Bombers
    Logo will adorn Edmonton's helmets on Aug. 10 at Commonwealth Stadium
    The Canadian Press August 2, 2023

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Guys like Dunk and John Hodge, JC Abbott there write everyday about the CFL, no?
    No.

As I said.

Written content does not constitute reporting about the CFL. The majority of posts on that site are rehashes of stuff written elsewhere, whether it's a team press release, someone's tweet, etc. And with very occasional exceptions, the rest of the content is opinion by various contributors, promos for podcasts, weekly picks, etc. Actual, original reporting by 3DN "staff" amounts to a small handful of stories per month. Which I would have thought you'd have noticed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Is playing Tre Ford against Winnipeg a real opportunity or an attempt by Jones to say afterwords I told you he wasn't any good if the Bombers blow out the Elks as they did last week by beating a talented BC team 50-14? I don't know. The test will be whether he gets another shot after this game if it goes badly. After all, American Taylor Cornelius has had umpteen shots.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level
    How so?
    /sarc

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I also follow the Atlanta Braves who are well on the way to their sixth consecutive divisional championship with a 10.0 game lead. What is so noticeable is the difference in coaching approach between Jones and Braves manager Brian Snitker. When Snitker took over the Braves had been a losing team for a decade. Nobody in management thought much of him, witness forty plus years as a minor league coach with Atlanta and a mid-season interim contract. Only the minor leaguers now in the majors wanted him. While no one considers Snitker a good game strategist and many think he is actually bad at that, his ability to recognize talent after more than forty years in the minors coaching developing players and his willingness to stick with young talented players who have protracted periods extremely poor play when the fans and reporters are demanding their scalps is in deep contrast to Jones here-today-and-gone tomorrow, except for a very few favourites, method of operation. Not only has that worked out, most recently with Michael Harris of the Braves who was batting .160 (a god-awful batting average) for the first two months of the season and has since batted .350, it has also created strong team cohesion because Snitker never criticizes a player in public, something Jones is incapable of doing consistently. Tre Ford is just the latest example of how likely Jones approach is going to work.