Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    In the second half, not only did Ego Jones use a Canadian QB but a Canadian RB too!
    Have you noticed how well these USports "fullbacks" have been doing when they come in to replace the American running back when they get hurt. Gives me pause.

Ford did just enough to get himself another start IMO. Rourke is miles ahead of him right now but if Ford is given the chance and masters the stuff between the ears, he'll be around to challenge Rourke.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Have you noticed how well these USports "fullbacks" have been doing when they come in to replace the American running back when they get hurt. Gives me pause.

Ford did just enough to get himself another start IMO. Rourke is miles ahead of him right now but if Ford is given the chance and masters the stuff between the ears, he'll be around to challenge Rourke.

As I mentioned elsewhere here - big 250 pound Canadian fullback David Mackie replaced the injured starting American tailback 2 games back for BC - and ran like a big truck with over 100 yards from scrimmage in the remainder of that game - he was then rewarded with zero touches the next game against Ottawa with the starting import RB back in.

Jones turning to M-Litre (former Stamp - another big back with power and quick feet) in the 2nd half in their win last game was surprising, but he produced with a number of good runs to help get the victory - another IMO under-rated Canadian talent; wonder if he gets rewarded with more touches going forward ?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Antwi (UofC) did well in standing in for the Als. Litre IIRC was 4 for 34 (8 yard avg, not bad)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Antwi (UofC) did well in standing in for the Als. Litre IIRC was 4 for 34 (8 yard avg, not bad)
    Antwi played well in the opener in Calgary but has struggled since, and he has played a decent amount.

I have always liked Milanovich-Litre. I was surprised to see him this year in Edmonton instead of Calgary.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Antwi played well in the opener in Calgary but has struggled since, and he has played a decent amount.

I have always liked Milanovich-Litre. I was surprised to see him this year in Edmonton instead of Calgary.
    Antwi is 3rd in the CFL in rushing thus far - with a 6.5 yds/carry average (best of any tailback, by far)

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Regardless, all of those guys can move and with some power behind it. Even back in the olden days, Jim Reid, Bob Bronk, I often wondered why fuillbacks aren't used more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Regardless, all of those guys can move and with some power behind it. Even back in the olden days, Jim Reid, Bob Bronk, I often wondered why fuillbacks aren't used more.
    Same reason tight ends - Gabriel, Dalla Riva, Harrison for example - who were huge forces in CFL offences at one time, are not deployed anymore either - for the clique of same old, standard look, myopics who only get to run CFL offences now, they have no understanding of or use for those positions or the variety in their offences. Want to see real change - it will take an owner or GM to hire some different thinking coaches and not just re-use/recycle.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Same reason tight ends - Gabriel, Dalla Riva, Harrison for example - who were huge forces in CFL offences at one time, are not deployed anymore either - for the clique of same old, standard look, myopics who only get to run CFL offences now, they have no understanding of or use for those positions or the variety in their offences. Want to see real change - it will take an owner or GM to hire some different thinking coaches and not just re-use/recycle.
    When everyone used tight ends, wasn't that also "same old, standard look, myopic" thinking?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When everyone used tight ends, wasn't that also "same old, standard look, myopic" thinking?
    They didn't really get 5 pack with the waggle starts or even 6 pack receiver sets possibilities then; but now that all of this is on the table/ understood for offences, why do the OCs now have no clue about or use for a real tight end or fulllback or 2 back sets or lots of ground game? Why can't they incorporate all the offensive weapons, sets & plays that have been effective in the history of the game? Because they are limited, same old myopics. Sorry but I like variety in football and believe it can bring lots to an offence. But maybe the simpleton OCs now believe they have to practice/use their one basic look/ formation and limited play-book over & over & over again to get it down right? Why aren't there lots of high scoring games now like in some CFL past ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    They didn't really get 5 pack with the waggle starts or even 6 pack receiver sets possibilities then; but now that all of this is on the table/ understood for offences, why do the OCs now have no clue about or use for a real tight end or fulllback or 2 back sets or lots of ground game? Why can't they incorporate all the offensive weapons, sets & plays that have been effective in the history of the game? Because they are limited, same old myopics. Sorry but I like variety in football and believe it can bring lots to an offence. But maybe the simpleton OCs now believe they have to practice/use their one basic look/ formation and limited play-book over & over & over again to get it down right? Why aren't there lots of high scoring games now like in some CFL past ?
    Games are back this year to over 50 points per game. In the days you harken back to, OV, the league was lucky to see 40 points per game scored.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Games are back this year to over 50 points per game. In the days you harken back to, OV, the league was lucky to see 40 points per game scored.
    I'm not a big fan of points scored as the big measuring stick of good football - like some high scoring games but also some tough defensive battles too. What I also would like to see is wayyyyyyyy more variety in CFL offence - different formations, varied play-calling, plenty of ground game; and not just same old 5 pack, dink& dunk offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Getting back to the unicorns of the CFL, Canadian QBs, Nathan Rourke was deservedly named top player for week three and after three games has the Lions scoring at 45.7 points per game on average. So far he has looked like the best QB in the league. By the way the number of Canadian unicorns are multiplying after almost going extinct.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tre Ford made some first CFL game typical mistakes, but his combination of passing, fleet feet and moxie shone through in his leading the Elks first win in four games.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Ford was getting off to a good start and then sustained a shoulder injury putting him out of the game. Hopefully, it won't be long term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Great article on Chris Merchant, who is described "as one of the best passers on the continent" leading Fehervar Enthroners to the Hungarian championship. Merchant discusses how he was treated unfairly in the CFL, by never getting any reps. After the European season he heads to Australia to play football there.

In a year that has been marked by a high rate of quarterback turnover at the highest levels of European football, one of the best passers on the continent has been getting his work done out of the spotlight.Dual-threat Canadian signal caller Chris Merchant has taken Hungary by storm since taking over the Fehérvár Enthroners this season. The numbers speak for themselves — Merchant was 79-of-111 through the regular season for 1,065 yards, 17 touchdowns and just four interceptions while adding 94 yards and three scores on the ground.
    The championship was simply the cherry on top, as he led the team to their second-ever Hungarian Bowl victory with an MVP performance against the Budapest Wolves last week. 281 yards through the air, 57 yards on the ground, and three scores proved to be the difference in the 31-24 ball game.

Merchant is no stranger to winning, having led the University of Western Mustangs to a Vanier Cup title — the Canadian university national championship — back in 2017. However, this one was sweeter than most.
    The quarterback came tantalizingly close to a Spanish championship in his first Europeanexperience with the Las Rozas Black Demons but suffered a serious knee injury in the final that would ultimately require surgery and extensive rehab.
    Having suffered a game-ending ankle injury in his final collegiate game — the 2019 OUA conference championship — it was a disappointment that Merchant understood well, but this time the battle back was harder. Boxed in by COVID restrictions and seeing others moving on with their lives, he mulled hanging up his cleats for good.
    “It was a huge contemplation,” Merchant admitted. “If it was just the injury, I would have just come back, no problems. But COVID really did make it difficult and so did being back at home, seeing all my friends and knowing they’ve gotten their career started and are just enjoying their lives.”
    Ultimately, he decided that a life in football was the one he wanted to lead and that the connections he continues to make on the field will be what sets him up for success. Eager to return, Merchant faced a new challenge. The former Hec Crighton Trophy winner as Canada’s top university football player had proven himself in Spain, but top tier teams didn’t trust his injured knee.
    “I got passed over a couple times by a few good teams that I really was hoping to play for. The GFL wouldn’t touch me, just because of the injury,” Merchant recalled. “And so I said if a good opportunity comes up elsewhere, I’ll take it. That’s when the Enthroners owners got in touch with me.”
    A year away from joining the European League of Football as their newest expansion franchise, the Enthroners assembled a star-studded import crew for one last run at national dominance. Merchant was the headliner and he succeeded in the team’s goal of seizing the Hungarian national championship, though the work is not finished.
    On Saturday, the Enthroners will clash with the Czech champion Prague Lions in the CEFL Cupfinal, before challenging for an Austrian second division title the following week. After coming up short in his previous two championship games before arriving in Hungary, Merchant has a unique opportunity to win three in three weeks.

After that stretch of games, the questions will turn to Merchant’s future. The quarterback acknowledged that there have been conversations about him returning to lead the Enthroners into their first ELF season, but nothing official is in place. He’s done all he can to prove he’s up to the task and hopes the team sees it the same way, noting that the level of competition in Hungary is criminally under-rated.
    “I’ve been super impressed. I would say it’s on par with or better than Spanish football and I think what Barcelona is proving right now in the ELF is that Spanish football is really good as well,” Merchant said. “There is talent out there and I think with these countries that are considered lower down in the football world, it comes down to coaching. If you’ve got a good coach and you have the guys around, I think that Hungary can prove that they’re one of the best countries in Europe.”

Whether or not his services are retained, Merchant will be leaving the continent shortly after the Enthroners’ final game and heading to Australia to live out a lifelong dream of visiting the land down under. Signed on to quarterback the UNSW Raiders in Sydney, he acknowledges that it may be a lower level of football than Europe but that isn’t what matters to him.
    “What I’m really excited about is that I get to coach kids and develop the game there as well,” Merchant said. “That’s always been a passion of mine, being able to help people find the love of the game that I did at a young age, and then just get to live in a great city… How many times do you get to go Australia and live there for five months and it’s not really on your own budget?”
    It’s a lifestyle he’s grown to love and while he once dreamed of playing professionally back home in the Canadian Football League, now he’s not so sure. His brief training camp stint with the Montreal Alouettes left a sour taste in his mouth that could only be washed away by playing in an environment he felt wanted.
    “I never got a chance. I was treated completely unfairly, in my opinion. I didn’t get any reps at training camp, they brought me in for media purposes and got rid of me saying, yeah, we’ll bring you back next year,” he notes. “Obviously it didn’t happen.”
    While young players like Merchant’s occasional training partner Nathan Rourke and former college rival Tre Ford are proving Canadian quarterbacks can excel at the highest level, Merchant may be better off for the opportunity he missed.
    “I’m 100 percent confident that I have the talent. Will I ever go back and get that opportunity? I’m not sure, because I do really enjoy my life right now,” he said. “Getting to travel all over the world playing the sport I love and there’s so much uncertainty with the CFL all the time right now, is it worth it to try and come back? It’s always a question I’m thinking about.”
    In the end, it doesn’t seem to matter about the size or reputation of the league Merchant finds himself in. Championship contention always follows his arrival.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chris Merchant led the Fehervar Enthroners to a 24-20 win against Czech champions Prague Lions on Saturday. He will now lead the Enthroners against Austria for the second division European title. The game can be watched at the url below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDN8uBzuK_k

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I haven't been paying the closest of attention, but if Mr Rourke (pun intended) continues at the same level, is he the favourite for Rookie of the Year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    He's not a rookie.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Chris Merchant led the Fehervar Enthroners to a 24-20 win against Czech champions Prague Lions on Saturday. He will now lead the Enthroners against Austria for the second division European title. The game can be watched at the url below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDN8uBzuK_k
    Excuse my ignorance as I don’t follow the Euro leagues. Why is he playing 2nd division? Shouldn’t he be playing in the top division?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Excuse my ignorance as I don’t follow the Euro leagues. Why is he playing 2nd division? Shouldn’t he be playing in the top division?
    The first division is screwing over Canadian QBs, AV. Get with it!