Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Excuse my ignorance as I don’t follow the Euro leagues. Why is he playing 2nd division? Shouldn’t he be playing in the top division?
    Merchant's team plays in the top division of the Hungarian Football League, where they won the championship. The also won the Central European Football League Cup, which seems to be a tournament for second-tier Euro leagues. Now, they're somehow also invited to play in the second-tier of the Austrian Football League. I don't know how/why it happened that way, though.

Next year, however, Merchant's team is joining the ELF, the top league in Europe. I'm curious to see how that will go (if he's still on the team).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Merchant's team plays in the top division of the Hungarian Football League, where they won the championship. The also won the Central European Football League Cup, which seems to be a tournament for second-tier Euro leagues. Now, they're somehow also invited to play in the second-tier of the Austrian Football League. I don't know how/why it happened that way, though.

Next year, however, Merchant's team is joining the ELF, the top league in Europe. I'm curious to see how that will go (if he's still on the team).
    Thank you for that. I wasn't being a smart ass, just don't follow those leagues.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    He's not a rookie.
    I have no idea where that came from in my head, must be the the beginning of the downhill shunt. Looks like I should have said MOP.

‘He’s the top quarterback in the league right now’: Riders respect B.C. Lions Canadian QB Nathan Rourke
    Justin Dunk 3downnation July 27, 2022

Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke has the full attention of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

His B.C. Lions are scheduled to play the Green and White three times in the next five weeks. Rourke leads the CFL with 321 passing yards per game, 14 passing touchdowns and owns the highest QB rating among the league’s starters at 123.

“I think he’s the top quarterback in the league right now, regardless of nationality. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find another guy that would win MOP if the season ended today,” head coach Craig Dickenson said.

“He’s taken the league by storm, but I saw it last year with the play he got. He learned from one of the best, Mike Reilly. It’s always fun to go against one of the top guys in the league and compete man-versus-man,” Cody Fajardo said.

Rourke’s first CFL start came unexpectedly against the Riders in Week 1 last season while Michael Reilly was dealing with an elbow injury. He completed 10-of-18 passes for 194 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in two quarters and two series of action. A.C. Leonard intercepted Rourke with less than 30 seconds left to clinch a 33-29 win.

The Victoria, B.C. native was selected by the Lions in the second round, 15th overall during the 2020 CFL Draft. Saskatchewan’s coaching staff and scouts studied the six-foot-two, 209-pound quarterback in preparation for the pick-fest.

“He’s a good one. We really liked him coming out, I think he’s even better than we expected, but I think everybody knew he was a special player — regardless of nationality,” Dickenson said.

“Everybody could see those are the type of guys that have success in our league — smart, tough, he can throw the ball better than you think and he can certainly run with it. He’s an outstanding football player — they got themselves a good one over there and I think they know it.”

During his senior season at Ohio University, Rourke threw for 2,676 yards, 20 touchdowns against five interceptions with a 61.4 completion percentage. He rushed for 780 yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 5.4 yards-per-carry.

The Bobcats went 6-6 and earned a spot in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, a game they would go on to win with Rourke being named MVP. The physical activity and sport coaching major earned 2019 All-Mid-American Conference first-team honours.

“The first time I saw Nathan Rourke was a bowl game two years ago. [Ohio] played the University of Nevada and he kicked our butts. I was like: ‘Who is this quarterback?’ I knew a lot about him, it’s going to be exciting to go against him, he’s a great competitor,” Fajardo said.

The 24-year-old started the 2022 season red hot by throwing for 718 yards and seven touchdowns against zero interceptions while breaking Russ Jackson’s single-game record for passing yards by a Canadian quarterback. In his last three games, Rourke has connected for seven touchdowns but been intercepted six times.

“Anytime you’re a younger quarterback, I went through this, the more tape you get out there the more tendencies you have. Some things you might not even think about and I think defensive coordinators are incredibly intelligent and they spot those things,” Fajardo said.

“There’s a lot of tells that you might be giving that you don’t even know you’re giving. The more tape it makes it more difficult on quarterbacks the more you play. That’s why it’s so remarkable what guys like Bo Levi [Mitchell] does and Zach Collaros because there is a lot of tape on those guys and they still go out and perform at a high level.”

Fajardo entered the current campaign as the favourite to win the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player award and he’ll face the upstart Rourke who has surpassed him in the odds set by betting linemakers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Excuse my ignorance as I don’t follow the Euro leagues. Why is he playing 2nd division? Shouldn’t he be playing in the top division?
    Here's the explanation with a quote from Merchant himself. In 2021 Merchant injured his knee while playing in the championship game in the Spanish League. A number of teams therefore stayed away from signing him, including in the German League, the best league outside the ELF. The Fehervar Enthroners of the second division Hungarian League saw their chance to build a star-studded team around him in preparation for entering the elite ELF next year. It paid off.

“I got passed over a couple times by a few good teams that I really was hoping to play for. The GFL wouldn’t touch me, just because of the injury,” Merchant recalled. “And so I said if a good opportunity comes up elsewhere, I’ll take it. That’s when the Enthroners owners got in touch with me.”
    A year away from joining the European League of Football as their newest expansion franchise, the Enthroners assembled a star-studded import crew for one last run at national dominance. Merchant was the headliner and he succeeded in the team’s goal of seizing the Hungarian national championship.
    https://www.americanfootballinternat...ar-enthroners/
    Last edited by jerrym; 07-30-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Another good night for the kid

Nathan Rourke passed for 336 yards and two touchdowns as the BC Lions rallied past the Saskatchewan Roughriders for a 32-17 road win on Friday night at Mosaic Stadium.

The Canadian quarterback completed 27 of 33 passes while also adding a rushing touchdown and 20 yards on the ground.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Another good night for the kid

Nathan Rourke passed for 336 yards and two touchdowns as the BC Lions rallied past the Saskatchewan Roughriders for a 32-17 road win on Friday night at Mosaic Stadium.

The Canadian quarterback completed 27 of 33 passes while also adding a rushing touchdown and 20 yards on the ground.
    Once again Rourke displayed some of the escapability of a Flutie and the coolness under initial adversity of a Ricky Ray.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thank you for that. I wasn't being a smart ass, just don't follow those leagues.
    Yeah, I get you. I'm still learning how things work over there too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rourke broke his own passing yardage record of 436 yards by a Canadian QB set earlier this season by going 34/37 and 477 yards against the Elks while throwing five TDs. He is increasingly being accepted as the best QB in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It's a real shame that this is likely going to be a one-and-done season for Rourke. IMO there is zero chance he does not sign an NFL contract as soon as the window opens after this season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Someone mentioned online that a player like Chase Daniel has made $40M in his career. Nothing wrong being a career #2 down there vs his rookie contract and whatever he could get as the best in he league up here.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's a real shame that this is likely going to be a one-and-done season for Rourke. IMO there is zero chance he does not sign an NFL contract as soon as the window opens after this season.
    He already had an NFL tryout, and it was as a wide receiver.

Way too early to make a definitive prediction like that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm very comfortable making it.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm very comfortable making it.
    If he continues to play at or close to this level he will definitely get a close look down south, good on him!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It's not a one and done as he was a backup last year who got a couple of starts. However, this is his first year as the #1 starter and what a year so far!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Since Paul is likely right that, baring major injury, Rourke is likely heading to the NFL next year, people may want to circle October 8th as possibly the one day you will see him play live against the Argos in Toronto.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    It's not a one and done as he was a backup last year who got a couple of starts. However, this is his first year as the #1 starter and what a year so far!
    It's tough to think he's not a rookie

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    If he continues to play at or close to this level he will definitely get a close look down south, good on him!!
    No doubt Rourke will draw interest from the NFL, but will any team actually invest in a decent signing bonus or just view him as a “ Camp Arm”?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    No doubt Rourke will draw interest from the NFL, but will any team actually invest in a decent signing bonus or just view him as a “ Camp Arm”?
    From his standpoint it’s worth a shot.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Depends on what Rourke is looking for in his career/life. He can make a half of a million or even more up here per season and play every down in a very good situation for the Lions or he can take his chances in the NFL. I am not convinced that it's a certainty that he won't be in the CFL next season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As painful as it is to say it, anyone would be a fool not to give it a shot. There is just too much money possible to not try it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country